Fearless

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"How much do you want for it?" I asked.

Phil grinned and said, "That's the good part. It had only been in the water for about a month when the guy who owned its wife caught him with another woman. She let it go back to the bank in order to destroy his credit. The good part about all this is that he only took it out once and that was just for the day so, it is in mint condition. We've inspected and had everything aboard her tested to make sure that everything was in working order."

"You still haven't answered my question though," I asked, a little impatiently, "How much?"

He smiled and replied, "I'll let you have it for three hundred, ten thousand dollars."

I had plenty of money to pay cash, but I wanted some kind of normalcy in my life to keep me grounded so, I looked at Phil and said, "How about this? I pay you half of that down and you finance the rest of it. I can use my house as collateral."

Phil grinned and replied, "According to what you've got in your account already, you don't need any collateral. Besides, even if you didn't, I would still do it because of your Mom and Dad. They're great people and I adore them both."

"Thanks Phil," I replied smiling, "I'll buy the boat; but I'll also be sure to tell Mom and Dad what you said."

"So, I guess that's it then," said Phil, "I'll make the necessary arrangements for you Tom, and that includes the dock as well."

"Thanks Phil," I gratefully replied, "I appreciate it more than you know."

~~~~~~

Three days later, the dock was set and in place, and around one o'clock that afternoon; I saw a beautiful forty-eight foot boat pulling around the point. Her hull was a metallic Midnight Blue with Gold colored pinstripes and piping. I looked to see who was piloting her and to my surprise; I saw Phil Hogue himself at the helm. As the boat slowly approached the dock; two young men jumped off of her and onto the dock. It took them no time to set the fenders (Rubber Bumper pads designed to keep the vessels hull from rubbing against the dock) and moor her lines to the cleats that were mounted to the dock.

"Ahoy Captain! How do you like her?" yelled Phil, as he stepped off the deck of the boat and onto the dock.

"She's beautiful," I replied excitedly.

"Have you decided on a name for her yet?" asked Phil. I had given it a lot of thought after my meeting with Phil in the days before everything that had been done was completed.

"I'm going to name her Theia," I proudly replied.

"If my memory serves me correctly; she was the Greek goddess of divine inspiration, wasn't she?" asked Phil.

"That's right!" I said, patting him on the shoulder while shaking hands

Then Phil and I went into the house to complete the paperwork on the boat. Once that was done; Phil used my phone, and while dialing the number, he said, "For using our bank, and as a kind of house warming gift, I've taken the liberty of hiring a guy to paint the name on her stern for you. I was just waiting to hear what you wanted name her."

"Thanks Phil. That's very nice of you. No wonder my father speaks so highly of you," I said, grinning.

"No thanks are necessary my friend," grinned Phil, "It's just my way of saying thank you for your business, that's all."

After he left and was gone; I found myself thinking about Sara and I realized that I missed her. After I got cleaned up and changed clothes, I decided to go to Crabby Dick's and catch a bite to eat with the hope that Sara was working today. Besides; I later came to realize that, I had fallen for her without really trying or wanting to. I hopped into my Jeep and headed up Duval Street and found a place nearby to park.

~~~~~~

Once I got inside; I asked the hostess if Sara was working today, and after discovering she was, I asked to be seated in her section. I had my back to the server's station and Sara couldn't see me until she was standing in front of me. The moment she saw that it was me; her face turned into an angry scowl and she hatefully said, "What do you want?"

I thought she was kidding around with me so, I just laughed and said, "Well, lunch would be good for starters, and then after you get off work I thought that maybe we could...."

"You've got a lot of balls coming in here after the way you treated me, dammit," she spat, interrupting me.

When I realized she was really upset about something, I asked, "Sara honey, what's wrong?"

Then she went into a rage and said, "Just who do you think you are coming in here and ...."

I stood quickly, and interrupting her whlie trying to calm her down, I said "Whoa, wait a minute now. Why are you mad at me? I haven't done anything to you, Sara." If looks could kill; I would've been drawn and quartered on the spot.

I could feel the heat of her anger as she glared at me, and before I could say or do anything else, she said, "I want you to leave me alone and never come near me again. Do you understand me, asshole?" and then she tried to push past me.

Being called an asshole really pissed me off, especially when I hadn't done anything to deserve it. So, I stood my ground, and not letting her get by me; I said "Now wait a minute young lady I..."

"NO, YOU WAIT A MINUTE. IF YOU DON'T LEAVE RIGHT NOW, I'M GONG TO CALL THE POLICE. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?" she shouted.

"GO AHEAD AND CALL THE DAMN POLICE, LITTLE GIRL, I DARE YOU," I shouted back. By now the entire restaurant, including the owner, John Stone, could hear what we were saying.

And before either of us could say another word; John was standing between us and quietly said, "I don't know what in the hell is going on here, Tom, but I'm going to ask the both of you to step into my office!"

"Why? She started it!" I replied, a little heatedly.

John looked at me, then Sara, and then back to me again and said, "If you don't want be to bar your ass..." and then, to Sara, said "...or fire yours..." and then, to us both continued, "...you'll do as I ask of you."

The three of us went into John's office, and as soon as the door was closed; John looked at both Sara and I and said, "Would one of you like to calmly tell me just what in hell is going on here?"

Before anyone else had a chance to say anything I spoke up first and replied, "John, I came in here to have some lunch and she started bitching and raising hell at me for nothing. So, I was just taking up for myself."

"That's such bullshit," seethed Sara, with the beginnings of tears forming in her eyes.

I looked at her and calmly asked, "Sara what have I done that has you so angry with me?"

"You lied to me, you fucker," she said, tears beginning to fall down her cheeks.

"What is it that you think I lied to you about?" I asked.

She looked over at John and then aback at me and replied, "You told me you were just a Navy Corpsman, when in fact, I talked to John about you and he told me the truth. Why didn't you tell me that you were a SEAL?"

I heard John clear his throat, and before I could respond; he said, "I think this might be my fault!"

"You think?" I said, angrily. Now I was really upset, not only at John for betraying my trust, but also at Sara for the way she treated me. I looked at the both of them, and shaking my head in disgust, I turned and said, "I'm going home!"

As I turned to walk away; John said, "Tommy, wait a minute please."

I looked at John and said, "I'm sorry John, but I can't spare 'a minute' for someone that's going to betray my trust." Then I looked at Sara and added, "I'm sorry that you think I lied to you Sara," and then I quickly left before either of them could reply.

~~~~~~

Once I got home, I realized that I shouldn't be so upset. After all; I barely knew these people, regardless of the relationship that one of them had with my parents. I sure as hell wasn't going to be around them ever again. What bothered me the most, though, was the fact that Sara thought I had lied to her. It wasn't that at all. I just wasn't comfortable with letting anyone in that close to me just yet. John Stone's actions reiterated the fact that people couldn't be trusted, even the ones that were supposedly close friends of the family. Oh well; I guess life is just like that. Besides; I've done just fine by myself so far, and I would continue to do so now. It's not like I had to face life or death situations anymore.

~~~~~~

Chapter Four

Two days later; Phil Hogue came by to check on the job that his man had done on painting Theia's name on her stern, and also to show me how to operate the sonar, radar, and GPS navigator. I was already familiar with the operation of these devices but on a much larger scale. Phil was very informative of everything aboard and by the time he'd finished showing me all her innermost workings; I felt like I was secure enough in my knowledge to let Theia take me anywhere in the world.

I began loading Theia with food and supplies once he was gone, as the next day, I was planning on taking her south near the Dry Tortugas and anchoring for a few days to do some diving and fishing. The day before, I had gone up to Islamorada to The Florida Keys Dive Center and purchased some state of the art dive gear and several air tanks, as well as a brand new air fill station that would be mounted aboard ship so that I would never run out of full tanks.

Because I'd spent close to thirty thousand dollars, and because they were such nice people, two of the Dive Masters from the Florida Keys Dive Center agreed to bring the fill station down to Key West and help me mount it aboard Theia. They said they would do it for nothing, but I knew they were going above and beyond the call of duty just for me, and I was prepared to let them split five hundred dollars between themselves for their time and assistance. After all, it was the right thing to do. However; they were due to arrive just any moment and I was anxiously awaiting their arrival, when I heard the sound of a car horn in the driveway of my house.

As expected; the men arrived right on time with my new fill station disassembled and packed in five separate crates in the back of their truck. I had them pull around to the back close to the dock entrance. It was only 10:00 in the morning and there was going to be plenty of time to assemble it, while at the same time mounting it, on the stern of the boat.

The two Dive Masters names were Mike and Dave and they greeted me with warm handshakes once they got out of the truck. I took them aboard Theia and showed them where I planned on mounting the fill station. "She's a beautiful vessel Tom," said Mike, grinning.

Dave grinned and added, "Maybe sometime you'll take us diving huh?"

"Any time you guys want, you're always welcome, man," I said, patting them on their backs.

~~~~~~

An hour and a half later; the fill station was up and running. I was able to fill six tanks at once and believe me; I was practically jumping for joy. As Mike and Dave prepared to leave, I handed them each two hundred and fifty dollars and said "Thanks for all your help guys. And Like I said before; you both have a standing invitation to come dive any time you want." They tried to make me take it back but I was having no part of it and the end; they drove away, happy guys. It made me feel good to be able to do that for them. Besides; I knew they could use the money, because, from talking to them while were building and mounting the fill station, they both had families so, everything turned out the way God intended.

Around 5:30 that evening; I had all my SCUBA tanks full and locked into the storage racks that I'd mounted on the stern of the boat. I'd just finished showering and changed into fresh clothes when the door bell rang. "Who could that be?" I said to no one. When I opened the door, I was shocked to find John Stone standing on my porch. "What do you want, John?" I asked, flatly and with no emotion whatsoever in my voice.

"I came to apologize to you, Tommy," he solemnly replied.

I stood silent for about two seconds before I opened the door wider and said, "Come on in." You could see the relief drain from his face as he passed by me and came in the house.

No sooner had I closed the door, when John said, "Before you say anything, please hear me out."

I motioned for him to have a seat on the couch and replied "I'm listening."

He took a deep breath and began, "I wasn't trying to betray you, Tommy, and I don't care what you think of me; but there is a beautiful young woman who is absolutely devastated because she thinks you're disgusted with her."

I knew he was talking about Sara and I said, "Why should she give a damn about what I think of her? If I remember correctly she thinks I lied to her thanks to you."

"Look Tom, I told her that it wasn't your fault and that you were really a nice person," John replied, and then, looking down, he added, "There's something you need to know about her too."

"What're you talking about?" I asked, while taking the chair across from him.

John raised his eyes from the floor, and with sadness written all over his face; he looked at me and said, "Her father was involved with the Medellin Cartel during the reign of Pablo Escobar. He designed and built a submersible that Escobar funded, and was using it to smuggle dope from Colombian freighters in international waters into U.S. Coastal waters. He was a brilliant guy who, unfortunately, fell prey to the lure of fast and easy money. He double crossed Pablo and was murdered for it. Thank God the Colombians didn't know about Sara or her mother, or they would've been killed too. After Sara's father died; her mother climbed into the bottle."

With tears falling down his face; John stopped and took a handkerchief out of his pocket, and after wiping his eyes, said, "While Sara was still in high school, her mother took an over dose of sleeping pills and died one night in a drunken stupor. My wife and I took Sara in and made sure that the monies earned from her father's work paid for, not only her education, but the house she lives in. She doesn't know anything about what I've just told you about her father, but when the time is right, I'm going to tell her."

"Jesus John," I gasped, stupefied by what I'd just heard, "I didn't know."

"How could you have known?" John sadly replied.

I suddenly felt badly for the way I had treated the man and I said, "Look John, I'm really sorry for acting the way I did. I don't know what else to say."

John looked up, and smiling, replied, "Look Tommy; you don't know what an impression you've made on her. Except for me, every person...every man that she's ever known has tried to take advantage of her. She told me what you did for her at Sloppy Joe's the other night, and I'm very grateful."

"I just put some asshole in his place is all," I said.

"Yeah, and you have no idea of the impact you've made on Sara, do you?" said John. I could've been knocked over with a feather and although I was still apprehensive at the thought of baring my soul to anyone; I had entertained ideas of Sara and I being together and smiled at thought of such.

So, I just shrugged my shoulders and said, "I guess not."

John simply grinned and said, "Uh huh, and from the look on your face; it appears that she's made somewhat of an impact on you too, huh?"

"Oh, shut up," I laughed.

John stood up and put his hand on my shoulder and said, "Please don't be angry with me, but I've been talking to your Dad over the past couple of days, and he and I both agree that you two would be good for one another."

I smiled, then shook my head and replied, "You and Dad thought this up all by yourselves, did you?"

He nodded his head, and with that devilish grin of his, said, "We think you two should get together and see what happens. Are you up for it?" and then as if he had an afterthought he added, "Your Dad said that, if needs be, he could always let your Mom in on this?"

I stood up and looked at John sternly, then grinned and told him, "That's playing dirty pool ya know."

"Yeah, it is, but I use all means that are at my disposal," smiled John, "Look Tommy, she's a great girl. Try and be her friend, because God knows, after what she's been through, she could sure as hell use one."

"Okay, what do you want me to do?" I sighed.

"God's gonna reward you for this, Tommy boy," replied John, grinning from ear to ear.

Later on that evening, around 7:30 or so, I was out on my back deck grilling two nice pieces of Grouper when I heard my doorbell ring again. I went to the front door and opened it. Sara was standing there with a scared look on her face, but was still stunningly beautiful though. "Hi, Sara," I said.

"Hi Tom, how are you?" she nervously replied.

"I'm doing good, come on in," I said happily. She walked past me into the house and then turned around and looked at me with an expression of sadness on her pretty face compelling me to ask her, "Are you alright?"

Suddenly she burst into tears, threw herself against me while wrapping her arms tightly around me, and sobbing, said, "I'm so sorry for the way I treated you the other day, and I feel awful." She continued to cry so; I simply held her and let her get it out.

Once she'd settled down; I released her from the hug and directed her to sit on the couch. As we sat down together, I looked at her, and while wiping the tears from her face, said, "Look, sweetie, first of all, you have nothing to be sorry about. And secondly, don't you dare feel awful about taking up for yourself. Had it been me, I'm not so sure I wouldn't have reacted the same way, okay?"

She sniffed and nodded her head, then said, "Can I ask you something?"

"You can ask me anything you want."

She sat up and poised herself, then looked me in the eye and said, "Why did you tell me you were one thing, when you were something so much more than that?"

I hung my head, and with all the emotional strength I could muster, looked back up at her and told her, "When I was in the Navy, I was part of an anti-terrorist team and we were sent all over the world to put a stop to terrible things that were happening at the time. During the process, I saw men who were closer to me than my own family, die horrible deaths and there was nothing, I mean absolutely nothing, I could do about it. While I was in the Navy and doing this kind of work, I refused to let it bother me because if I had; more men would've died due to my lack of focus. Then in June of 1994; my very best friend in the whole world and I were sent into this particular place to rescue the daughter, of this high ranking dignitary, who had been taken hostage. The operation was a success because the girl came home safe and alive. However, I got shot up pretty badly and my best friend was mortally wounded and died in my arms." I raised my shirt to show her the scars that remained of what was once a couple of very nasty wounds.

She touched the scars and gasped in horror, saying, "My God, Tom! You could've died."

"I damn near did," I replied, "Since then, I've been afraid to let anyone else get close to me for fear that I might lose them as well." Not realizing it and while telling her of this part of my past; a single tear fell down my cheek.

All at once two things happened. She leaned over and very tenderly kissed me on the cheek near my lips and softly said, "I'm sorry you had to deal with that Tommy," then she looked at me strangely, and sniffing the air, asked, "Do you smell something burning?"

"OH NO, THE GROUPER!" I shouted, and then jumped up and ran out through the kitchen and onto the back deck with Sara right behind me. There was a thick line of grey smoke coming from the grill. I ran back into the kitchen and filled a big pot with water, and then I took it back out onto the deck and lifted the top off the grill. Black smoke and flames shot out as soon as the top was raised. I threw the water into the grill and managed to put the fire out, but the food was ruined. I dropped the pot onto the deck and said, "I'll be damned!" Becoming angry for letting the food burn, I kicked that same pot that I had dropped a few moments before, and to myself, said, "Way to go Tom, you dumb ass!"