Fiction v Reality

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Sounds good. Sounds great actually. I'm happy to cook if you want to come to mine. It might be easier to take notes and that if we won't be disturbed."

I gave Rhys the address and suggested he call around after 6. Technically the office closed at midday on Friday, but most of us worked until at least 4. I knew I would have time to get home, changed and whip something up.

~*~*~*~*~

"How was your day?" Rhys had arrived shortly after 6 with two bottles of wine. I opened the white and poured us both a glass.

"So-so. I was in court this morning. The father can't see where his marriage went wrong and seems to think he should have a week about custody arrangement of a 6-year-old and a 4-year-old who hate spending time with him because he tells them all the time what a whore their mother is. Meanwhile, the mother is working two jobs to make ends meet because he has managed to hide his money somewhere, and I doubt she has time for herself, let alone another lover!"

"I'm so glad there are people like you dealing with that. I'm happy to stick to the sea."

"Did you get screwed over in your divorce?"

"I've never been married... Ah! Well done. You figured out my lie and all before we sat down to eat."

"Your yacht's not called Serenity?"

"Wrong again! I was homeschooled until I was 15 by hippies. My uncle was a lawyer, and I spent a lot of time with him growing up. He was a big influence on me. I'd read torts and such at bedtime, so law school was not that challenging for me."

"So why the sea? I mean, it's a little niche isn't it?"

"And that's why! Uncle Nev was a criminal lawyer, and I could never do anything like that. He did live on a yacht for a while though and got me interested in the water."

"Where does he live now?"

"He died two years ago. Heart attack aged 64. He'd never married and left a large part of his estate to my sister and me. He went to law school with Max and Katherine and was Max's Best Man or something. When they approached me about the partnership, I said yes. I feel pretty fortunate to be a partner well before I'm 40."

"Cool. So, you're..."

"33. 34 in July."

"And your sister..."

"Myfanwy, but she'll slap you if you call her that- better to stick with Myf! She's a nurse. She's your age and you remind me a lot of her, except she's married to Rob who you know."

"No kids then?"

"Not yet, but I suspect they're trying."

"It took Boyd and Emily 4 years of IVF so I kind of know how trying 'trying' can be."

"So, Boyd is next up from you?"

"That's right. From the top, there's Mum who is Hillary, but everyone calls Hills, Dad who is Charles, but everyone calls Charlie. They're both cardiologists. Then there's Giles. He's also a cardiologist married to Bridget who's a gynaecologist and obstetrician. They have two daughters, Millicent or Millie who is 13 and Amelia or Mia who is 11. Then there's Henry who has been with Ken for 10 years or so and I suspect will get married sometime soon. They're both shrinks. Mum and Dad are fine with Henry being gay and in a relationship with Ken, but they never talk children to them which makes me laugh."

"So then there's Boyd who married your friend?"

"Yep. Boyd is a paediatrician, well he will be when he finishes his exams this year, and he's married to Emily who is a lowly GP, and amazing at her job. They have Isobel or Issy who is 6-months-old, and they have been together since they were teenagers."

"And then there's the most interesting person in the family, Ms Valerie..."

"I don't think I'm that interesting! So yeah, I turn 30 in a few weeks."

"Do you have a middle name?"

"Yep," I sighed, "Hillary Charlotte. What about you?"

"Nope, no middle name!"

"So, your parents..."

Rhys told me about Maggie and Tom who had never married and lived a life of free love on a large property in Northern New South Wales.

"Mum bakes cakes for a lot of the coffee shops around where they live. I suspect she also makes quite a bit from her Hash Brownies which she bakes for select clientele. Dad's always done odd jobs and gotten a bit of money here and there. I've always chosen not to ask too much, and they have always provided for Myf and me."

"You're like the black sheep then?"

"Yeah, I suppose so. I suspect most of the free spirit has been beaten out of me by now. What did you call me, refined?" Rhys had a sly grin on his face which made me smile.

"You've never been tempted to settle down then? No biological clock ticking away in the background?"

"God, I'd love kids, but it would have to be with the right woman. I think I've always been incredibly choosy."

"How many kids?"

"Honestly? I, um, don't think I've ever been so candid with anyone before..." Rhys sighed and looked deep in thought, "I'd like at least 3, preferably 4 or 5, but, ok, I've never told anyone this, I'd expect their mother to continue in her career if she wanted to. I couldn't stand being one of those fathers who go off to make money and only sees his kids on the weekend. I want to be involved and cut back hours at work and stuff. I mean, I don't want to be with a trophy wife who wants me to take care of her as well as a family, but I want to be there to support her if that makes sense."

"You are still a bit of a hippy then, aren't you?"

"Maybe. What about you?"

"I love my nieces to bits and often take off time in the holidays so Millie and Mia can come and spend time with me. We go to the museums and galleries and the gardens and I love showing them the sights in the city, but I will also admit I miss being closer to home. We've always been such a close family and I seem so far away down here."

"Do you want any of your own?"

"Yeah, I think I do. I mean, I've seen what Emily's been through trying to get pregnant and then with a difficult delivery, but, yeah, with the right man I'd love to have children."

"Plural?"

"Maybe not 5 because I am almost 30 and have probably left that too late, but yeah, I'd like a few at least. I mean, making them is the fun part and I think I'd always be up for that." I joked and was relieved to see Rhys was smiling.

We talked over dinner about places we'd travelled and shared stories of bad dates we had been on. We discovered we had a similar taste in both books and movies, and I grabbed some novels for Rhys to read. It was well after midnight when Rhys looked at his watch and declared he needed to head home.

"This has been one of the most enjoyable non-date, first dates I have ever been on, Val. Thank-you."

"No, thank-you! It's been nice, hasn't it? I don't think I've laughed so much in ages."

"Look, I was planning on taking Serenity out on Sunday for a bit. Do you want to join me?"

"That sounds lovely. It's been years since I've been sailing, well, not since school."

"Well, I'll meet you at the marina at say 10?"

"Excellent! Do you want me to bring lunch or anything?"

"Dinner tonight was superb by the way and you obviously like to cook so I won't stop you, but I was thinking of grabbing some seafood and having a barbecue on the deck."

"I'll take care of dessert then."

"Sounds perfect. See you then."

~*~*~*~*~

Waking up on Saturday I kept remembering things about the evening before. I was so glad that I had asked Rhys to go with me back home, and I knew he was perfect for the project. Five years ago, I was able to argue I was only in my mid-20s when Mum kept quizzing me about boyfriends, but there was something about being almost 30 that made her matchmaking all that more serious.

The talks about children with Rhys and thinking about my nieces did make me think that perhaps my biological clock was ticking, and I did need to think about things. Working with many sole parents in my job, I could see myself being able to raise a child, but the thought of multiple children alone from the start scared me.

My thoughts turned again to Rhys and what a remarkable man he was. He appeared so level-headed I was surprised he had not been snatched up by any number of willing ladies. My thoughts were interrupted by a text from Janet.

'Still on? Did he gaze at you with those piercing blue eyes?'

'It was lovely actually. We've got a lot in common, so it won't be hard pulling this off.'

'Well, maybe it might lead to something!'

'Yeah right! We've got an end date set for the 16th anyway!'

'What's next then? Waiting until you head north in a fortnight?'

'We're going sailing tomorrow if the weather holds.'

'You've got me jealous now! That sounds perfect. I'll let you go- I'm trying to work through a contract I should have had finished yesterday and my client isn't happy with me.'

'Boring! Catch you Monday.'

Janet knew I hated contract law which was slightly strange as marriage was not much more than a contract really, except I was dealing with getting people out of contracts and there were plenty of rules to follow. Occasionally I was able to help couples with prenuptial agreements, even though I hated the idea of them, and I had a good sideline in wills and powers of attorney.

~*~*~*~*~

It took me several changes of clothes until I was happy with what I was wearing to go sailing. This surprised me as I usually just threw something on and went with it. In the end, I settled for tan shorts and a white blouse that I knew would cover my neck. I was prone to sunburn with my fair skin. The firm had had caps embroidered with our logo the previous year and they were extremely comfortable so I settled for this knowing my mousey brown hair was in a ponytail and would offer a little more sun protection on my neck. I slathered my arms and face with sunblock, put on my everyday runners, and set off with the cake I had baked.

"You didn't go nautical stripes?" I was surprised by Rhys's greeting.

"Was I meant to? I can go home and change..."

"Not at all! Good morning by the way. It's just that the last couple of women I've taken sailing have worn the navy shorts and striped t-shirt and turned up with flip-flops or worse on their feet."

I did not know whether to focus on the women that Rhys had taken on his yacht before or question if I had dressed inappropriately. Indeed, I chose not to ask about them as I knew it was none of my business and I tried to argue with myself that it was a natural feeling I was experiencing, and it was not a sign of jealousy for a man who was simply helping me out.

"I thought about a t-shirt, but I wanted to cover my neck a bit as I burn so easily."

"You look fine, honestly, you look more than fine and you're wearing sensible shoes. Welcome aboard Serenity. Here's to a peaceful day."

We motored out of the marina and set sail once we reached the bay. It was a perfect day for it. I had been on a sailing camp when I was 16 and enjoyed it so much that I continued with sailing lessons for a bit and I was surprised after over 13 years things came back to me such as rope ties and nautical terminology.

We found a lovely cove to drop anchor in for lunch. Rhys had marinated squid and prawns and told me he had caught a fish the day before that he also had filleted. A watermelon salad complemented the seafood barbecue beautifully and we were both very satisfied as we packed away leftovers.

"I didn't ask, but I wondered if you packed your togs because I could do with a swim."

"I did actually because I didn't think you would appreciate me skinny dipping!"

Rhys showed me where to change. I did own a bikini or two, but I had packed a sensible one-piece suit to try and cover more skin.

"Um, Rhys, I think I've covered my front with sunscreen, but could you just do my back please?"

"Most certainly. I see you've gone practical again with your swimmers, I like practicality in a woman."

"I didn't want to give you any ideas mister!"

"I am not complaining, and I, um, think I will leave it there for now."

I bit my lip and tried to stifle a moan when Rhys applied the sunscreen to my back and massaged it in with his firm fingers. A shoulder rub had always not only made me relax but made my nipples harden too. I was not prepared when Rhys removed his shirt revealing he kept fit. It was a pleasure rubbing sunblock over his back and I discovered he was very ticklish which I used to my advantage.

"Are you trying to kill me, woman?"

"Sorry, not sorry, but it is fun teasing you and tickling you!"

"Are you done yet?"

"Yeah, suppose so. You might need to rip off your shirt in front of my mother as she's always complaining Dad won't work out."

"I go to the gym a few times a week and go for a run on most days. Now are you a strong swimmer or will I need to watch out for you?"

"You'll definitely have to watch out for me because I know where you're ticklish!" and with that, I jumped into the beautifully clear water.

The water was calm, and Rhys need not have worried about my swimming abilities. We were unable to touch the bottom, yet I was fit enough to tread water and spent some time floating and relaxing under the sun.

I had been floating for some minutes, lost in my own world when Rhys flicked water at me, shocking me and causing me to forget where I was.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry," he laughed as his arms grabbed me around my waist and I tried to get my bearings.

"Was that payback for all the tickling?"

"Yeah, and I was sick at looking at you all peaceful and zen."

"You could have tried it!"

"And had both of us float away from the boat? Look how far away you've drifted already!"

I had drifted about 25 metres from Serenity and was glad Rhys had looked out for me.

"Do we need to get back?"

"Are you sick of it out here already?"

"No, not at all! Serenity certainly lives up to her name."

"It's light until 8ish and I can sail at night, but I'm not sure if you have to prepare anything for work tomorrow or anything."

"Nope. I make a point of not working on the weekends."

"Excellent. I am so glad to hear."

"I started when I first joined the firm and Katherine scalded me and showed me smarter ways of working that can also save clients some money."

"Katherine is such a good egg. I'm worried she and Max are going to retire at the same time and I'll suddenly be a senior partner. It scares me."

"It shouldn't. You're amazing at what you do, and your clients seem to love you."

"What about you, is your goal to make partner?"

"One day, maybe. I don't think it's my driving force. I don't like the idea of large firms with lots of partners. It's one of the reasons I like working where I am. Plus I still find I get so engrossed in work I forget things about my non-work life. Take last week, for instance, I forgot my car rego was due, so it was late, and I copped a fine." Being deep in conversation I had not noticed that Rhys still had his arm wrapped around my waist. It felt normal and friendly and, well, nice. "This swimming has me hungry. I baked a chocolate fudge cake..."

"That sounds about perfect right now. Race you back!"

I pushed away from Rhys's shoulders and set off for the yacht, but Rhys was soon next to me. He never tried to pull ahead and made me laugh when we both touched the stern at the same time.

I was pleased with how the cake turned out. I had thought twice about baking for a man whose mother baked cakes for a living.

"This is better than my Mum's chocolate cake. Do you think you could share the recipe? I'm sure she'd love it."

"Yeah, not a problem. It's one of Mum's recipes and she used to bake one every other weekend when we were growing up."

"You want tea or coffee?"

"Tea would be lovely, thanks. You don't usually call at the office on a Monday, but our colleagues are going to be a little pissed there's no cake in the tearoom tomorrow morning."

"You mean, you didn't bake 2? I've been there once or twice on a Monday and never realised it was you who baked! That Hummingbird Cake is sublime! I feel privileged you baked for me and I'm going to cut the leftovers into slices and freeze them and then I can bring one out and nibble on Val when I feel like it. Um, oops. I think that came out wrong. Sorry."

"Nibble on me, hey? I'm glad you like the Hummingbird Cake, it's one of my favourites. I might have to bake that for you too to nibble on some time." I could see Rhys was still a little unsure of how to take me, but my smile was matched by his.

"Changing the subject from cake, as loathed as I am because I adore cake, when are we expected up north?"

"I've booked to head up Thursday afternoon and head back Monday evening. I booked this before our arrangement and if you need to come later and leave earlier that's fine."

I saw Rhys looking at his diary. Everything for me was fully electronic these days, but Rhys insisted on keeping a paper diary.

"I could manage that. I have a meeting Friday lunchtime I could do by phone and I like to keep Monday's clear anyway.

"If you wanted to fly up Friday it wouldn't be a problem at all."

"Are you sure? It's one of my big clients. I could see if he'll move?"

"No, don't be silly. I'll be able to sing your praises for 24 hours and it will reduce the acting time for both of us."

"How about I move the meeting to the morning, and I catch the lunchtime flight?"

"Perfect. I'll book for you."

"Don't be silly! I'm looking forward to a weekend away."

"The gala's black tie. Do you own a dinner suit?"

"I do. It's not often I get to wear it either so it will be nice to drag it out."

"Cool. Henry has organised red silk bow ties for the men and he messaged me last night to say that he has one for you. It made it all seem that bit more real I suppose. You're still fine with the plan?"

"Of course! You don't have your diary with you, but I was going to suggest lunch one day this week."

"I'm electronic, baby! Always have my diary with me. Like I said before if it's not in my diary I'll forget about it; my forgetfulness is a running joke amongst the family. Let me see, I'm in court Tuesday and Friday. Wednesday or Thursday's looking good. Or even Friday. It shouldn't be a long hearing and I know the Magistrate hates working Friday afternoons."

"Lock-in Friday then. I'm looking forward to it." Rhys's smile was infectious.

~*~*~*~*~

The hearing on Friday dragged. I was representing a father who had discovered his wife had been having numerous affairs and there were question marks over the paternity of their youngest child. It was getting messy. My client was a lovely man who worked hard in his cleaning business and was only able to contest his ex-wife because his parents had come into some money and were able to help.

"You were amazing up there." I hadn't realised Rhys had stepped into the back of the courtroom. "I forgot how much fun it is representing someone in court. I do it so rarely these days."

"I'm just annoyed that what has happened to my client is not an uncommon occurrence, and if his parents didn't have money then it would be so hard for him to fight it. You know I started in Legal Aid and would have continued there except I was there under a twelve-month contract and once I had gained the experience I was moved on."

"I do a small amount of work pro bono, mainly for neighbours at the marina who need a legal letter written. It takes 15 minutes of my time and saves them thousands of dollars usually."

Lunch with Rhys was again lovely. Conversation flowed freely and was interspersed with lots of laughter. We parted ways with a hug and a kiss on the cheek. I had told Rhys I needed to go shopping for a dress for the gala and he offered to come with me, but I suggested that I'd rather surprise him on the night.

The theme was red for my parents' ruby anniversary. I tried on several gowns in the first boutique I visited but none were perfect. I had Emily on FaceTime and she had poo-poohed all of them too.