Fiction v Reality

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"There's still time for me to get Mum to whip something up for you! You should see my gown- she's included these slits that hide under rolls of fabric on the chest so I can still feed Issy throughout the night."

Emily's mum was an amazing dressmaker and I had considered taking up her offer until I got Emily on the line at the second boutique.

"Oh, Val, it's perfect! Rhys is going to love it!"

It was indeed a gorgeous dress, ruby-red silk organza that was a halter neck style, fully backless with a flowing skirt with a long slit through which I could still poke a leg if I wanted.

"I think I'll need a bra with it though and it doesn't have a back."

"Darling," the salesperson drawled, "You just need these sticky rabbits, and those puppies will stay in place all night long! Your boyfriend is going to love it. Now the shop next door sells lingerie and if you tell them I sent you they'll fix you up with some stunning knickers that will drive your man wild!"

"Go on, Val! Keep me online- I want to see what you choose!"

"Perhaps I should shop for you- it could be my birthday present for Boyd!"

I did head next door and realised it had been ages since I had bought nice lingerie for myself.

"There, there, stop!" It was fun guiding Emily through the shop via my phone, "The red lace thong will match your dress beautifully!"

Emily was right. I also grabbed a matching bra so I could wear the underwear again.

"What about you, Em, do you think Boyd would like the leatherette thong?"

"Boyd's not into leather, but the lacy French Knickers behind you- do they come in red?"

They did and I picked up a pair for my best friend and after we had said goodbye on the phone, I also chose some sexy nightwear for her and, as a joke, some latex underwear for Boyd. Emily had teased me that I needed some sexy nightwear for the upcoming weekend getaway, but I reminded her that Rhys and I would probably be in separate rooms.

'How was shopping?' I had just stepped inside the door at home when my phone beeped to a message from Rhys.

'Good! I got a dress and these strange stickers that are meant to keep my tits up. I'm not sure if they'll work or not.'

'Sounds intriguing!'

'Maybe. I still need shoes so will have to head back to the shops over the weekend.'

'I realised I need new shoes too. Weather is looking good tomorrow- want to come sailing again?'

'Sounds lovely! Then we can shop on Sunday?'

'Exactly! See you, what, 10ish?'

'Yep. See you then.'

I did own a red and white striped t-shirt and decided to tease Rhys a little by wearing short navy shorts with the shirt, a large floppy navy sun hat that would blow off at the first sight of wind, and patent red high heels. I packed more suitable clothing in my bag along with my swimmers to change into before we set sail.

"Hello, Sailor!" Rhys had not recognised me walking along the wharf.

"Good God, woman, what the fuck are you wearing?"

"It's my boating outfit, Captain," I said as I winked and pursed my red lipstick covered lips together. "Seriously though, I did bring a change of clothes, but I wanted to see your face. It really was priceless!"

"Don't laugh! I invited this woman once, I mean, we'd been on a couple of dates and she told me she loved sailing and she turned up just like that, with the heels included, except her t-shirt was a little more, um, cropped, and she thought she'd just laze on the bow in her bikini all day. Of course, she got seasick and we headed back to port half an hour after we left, and I never saw her again."

"I'm surprised you aren't married, partnered, or settled or whatever already. You really are a bit of a catch."

"I've had a couple of serious girlfriends, both of whom married the next guy that came along. See, that should give you hope! After the 16th you'll meet the man you'll end up marrying!"

"I doubt that! I don't know if I'm choosy or what. I mean, I have no trouble attracting men and I still manage to pick up when I need to, but I don't know..."

"You are an incredibly beautiful woman. I mean I get that you get to deal with bad relationships every day, but doesn't it also show you what makes a good partnership?"

"I suppose. I mean the number of people I deal with who can't communicate their needs effectively, plus, I know I wouldn't do cheaters. I mean, I understand I have a pretty high sex drive, but I have toys that I use fairly regularly."

"My parents are swingers," Rhys said very matter of factly.

"Is that an inherited trait?"

"Good God no! My last relationship ended because she found someone else and she couldn't understand why I didn't want him in our bed too."

"My last boyfriend was just boring. We met in a bar. I thought it might be cool to date a tradie. He was a sparky, you see. I got extra power points installed through the cottage so that was a bonus I suppose."

"Thanks for those books by the way. I enjoyed them all. I really loved this one. I mean, I did not pick that ending at all!"

"I know right! I mean, she was so badass!"

It was another gorgeous day on Serenity. Seeing I didn't need to work Sunday we stayed out in the bay and watched the sunset. If I didn't work with Rhys and he was just someone I had met in a bar or something and would never see again after the following weekend, I would have dragged him to his bed and had my way with him. He oozed sexuality without it being overt and I found myself extremely turned on just by being in his presence.

When I arrived home, I used a few of my toys and had the most incredible orgasm, all whilst imagining what sex with Rhys might be like. Although I had had plenty of lovers, and too many one-night-stands to count, I had rarely found anyone I was truly sexually compatible with. I had often wondered why it should be so hard to find a lover who took care of my needs whilst accepting what I was willing to offer him in return. Most guys, especially those I picked up, were after satisfying their needs only and were happy to let me deal with my own.

~*~*~*~*~

"Can you walk in them?" Rhys was with me on Sunday as I tried on shoes.

"Yeah, but I don't think I could dance in them. You dance, I hope, I hadn't thought to ask before now!"

"I love dancing. It's my dream to find the perfect woman who will want to dance with me on the deck of our boat as the sunsets."

"If only you'd told me last night, we could have danced then!"

I looked over and saw a strange smile on Rhys's face. In the end, I settled for a lovely pair of gold shoes that were not too high to prevent dancing and not too low that my dress would drag on the ground all night. Rhys also found a pair of shoes and we were heading towards a café for lunch when I heard our names being called.

"Rhys! Valerie! What are you two doing out together? I never realised, but it does make a lot of sense. Go for it you two!" Katherine was not letting either of us get a word in.

"Katherine, I am just Val's plus one for a family event next weekend, that's all."

"Ah, there you are darling! Max, Rhys is trying to tell me that he and Val aren't an item, and we're just going along with it, ok! Aren't they just perfect together?"

"I know not to question my wife after 40-something years, but Val, Rhys, it is lovely seeing you both. Will you join us for lunch?"

Rhys and I both looked at each other and neither of us was prepared to speak.

"Good. That settles it then. Have you been to the café down this alleyway? Val, do you remember when you first started, Anton Greenway, his wife had continued all those affairs and only married him for his money..."

I did remember the case. In passing, I had suggested Mr Greenway put his child's name on the Federal Police list so that they could not leave the country and a few days later he contacted us to say his ex-wife had been detained at the International airport trying to board an overseas flight with their daughter.

"He was a restauranteur, Rhys and had a string of successful businesses. Anyway, she was a bitch, and in the end, the child chose to live with him. He's remarried and his wife had a baby a few months ago and he now runs this little café down here." Katherine had taken Rhys's arm as we walked along the path towards the venue.

It was a delicious lunch. Anton had indeed remembered me, and we were introduced to his lovely wife and baby son. His daughter, Marianna, was our waitress for the day too.

"Katherine, Val, thank-you again. You saved me more than I can ever repay and as you can see, Selina is just beautiful and perfect."

"So, what's different this time?" Max asked, obviously interested in the new relationship.

"I didn't settle for less than I wanted. I settled the first time around when she did not tick every box. We didn't communicate well. I wanted more children, and she didn't. This time, it took a while for me to accept that it was right, but I'm so glad I did. She's perfect!"

"No, I'm not!" Selina had joined her husband and they stood with their arms around each other, "He portrays me as this saint for taking him and Marianna on, but really, he is the perfect one! I mean, he's an absolute tiger in the bedroom and I have no idea why his first wife needed to look elsewhere!"

We all laughed, and Rhys and I caught each other's glances, both looking at each other when we thought the other wasn't watching.

As we were preparing to go our separate ways, Katherine reminded us it was Valentine's Day the following weekend and that she had found a sneaky something for Max that morning.

"We probably should have a little something to give each other or at least a story for my parents as no doubt they'll ask next weekend." I offered as Rhys walked me back to my car.

"Let's surprise each other. It doesn't have to be big, but I can think of the perfect little something for you." Rhys had a smile that extended from his lips to cover his entire face.

~*~*~*~*~

I was in court Monday to Wednesday. It was annoying as the father was represented through legal aid and the mother had to extend the mortgage to pay for legal fees. It was a clear-cut case, but the father could not agree and set out to make things challenging.

"Why did you marry him?" I asked my client after the trial wrapped up on Wednesday and we were travelling in the lift together.

"I thought I loved him, but I don't think I loved him as much as he loved himself."

'How did it go?' Rhys texted me that evening as I sat back with a glass of wine.

'He has no argument for sole custody. His lawyers could see this and the fact that our taxpayer dollars are funding him makes me angry.'

'It is how it is. So, what did you get me for Valentines?'

I had found the perfect something and hoped Rhys would appreciate it.

'It's a surprise! What did you get me?'

'Something!'

'I should be able to tickle it out of you!'

'Or else we could just wait and exchange gifts on Saturday!'

'Party pooper!'

'Have a safe flight, ok? I'll message you tomorrow night to check things are cool.'

'They'll be fine. We'll be fine and I'm sure we will both play our parts perfectly.'

~*~*~*~*~

Emily met me at the airport with baby Issy. I was amazed by how much she'd grown since I had seen her in early December.

"You seem calmer, what's going on?" I asked my friend as we drove to my parent's home.

"Boyd and I had a great chat after you laid into him. Thank-you."

"I just told him the truth which I think he already knew. He's got it bad for you, woman. He always has had it bad though."

"Yeah, well I got it bad for him too. Once he worked out that I wouldn't break, things are, well, they're great again in the bedroom. And the nursery, and the loungeroom..."

"I get the picture!" I laughed, "So, what's planned for the weekend?"

"Hen and Ken have claimed you tonight. Top secret they told me. All I know is tomorrow morning first thing the marquee is being assembled on the lawn and I think Hills and Bridge have the decorations in hand, but I suspect we'll both be needed. What time does your man get in?"

"24 hours after me."

"Oh! That's so cute counting in hours."

I hadn't meant to.

"Are we doing family dinner tomorrow night?"

"Charlie's booked a large table at one of the pubs for us all. Hills has arranged hair and make-up for us all on Saturday and I've arranged mani-pedis! We start getting ready from mid-morning or something, so I've asked Boyd to look after Rhys for you. Saturday night's Saturday night- the auction is going to be huge! Hills has arranged Sunday brunch for us all and Boyd and I were hoping to have you and Rhys to dinner Sunday night before you fly out."

"We don't fly out until late on Monday. I had thought of taking Rhys for a drive on Monday to some of the gourmet farms."

"He likes his food then?"

"Yeah."

"Well with your cooking he's bound to be happy!"

"What about Bridge and the girls? When do I see them?"

"The girls have been given tomorrow off school to help with the decorations. And they're having hair and make-up done too. Giles isn't happy about it either!"

"It's funny to think of Giles being the father of a teenager! Millie's so much more level-headed than I was at that age so he is fortunate!"

"He told me how happy you seemed when he had dinner with you a few weeks back."

"Did he?"

"Seems like Rhys might be good for you."

"Maybe..."

~*~*~*~*~

I was thankful when Henry picked me up to take me to dinner with them. Mum had been asking all sorts of questions about Rhys and I was glad we had spent time getting to know each other and I could answer them all. I realised talking with Mum what a lovely man Rhys was and wondered if I would have been able to get to know him better had this excuse for an exercise not come up and what might have otherwise happened.

"Ken's cooked, I hope you don't mind?"

"I love Ken's cooking, you know that. You look excited about something."

"I have to wait until we're there, I promised him, but yes, I am very excited. Tell me about this man of yours."

"Well, Rhys is Boyd's age. He's funny, smart, and articulate and he makes me laugh. He lives on a boat and well, he makes me happy."

"I can see that! And by that smile, he keeps you happy in the bedroom too!"

"Henry Alexander Dominic Hartman! Shut your mouth. You know I'm a virgin still!"

"That ship sailed a long time ago, sis! You should know how Emily talks when she has a glass of wine in her, it's even worse now she's had Issy."

"I'm going to kill her."

"Please don't, Boyd would be heartbroken."

"Hi Ken!" I yelled as we walked inside their gorgeous townhouse.

"Hey hon! He didn't tell you, did he?"

"No, but he almost peed his pants holding something in."

"We're getting married!" They both blurted out together.

"Congratulations! When?"

"Saturday night," Henry said sheepishly with a grin on his face.

"And Mum and Dad don't know, do they?"

"No, and it's a secret and only you know, but, well our family will be together, and our friends will be there anyway, and we don't need gifts or anything."

"Don't tell me you want a prenup?"

"Of course not! I know your feelings on the subject."

My family was well aware I felt prenuptial agreements were either not worth the paper they were written on or only drawn up when a couple knew they wouldn't last. I did recognise I was wrong in my assumptions, but deep down, I still felt I believed in the romance of relationships lasting until your partner died.

"You see, hon," I had always loved the way Ken called me hon and I was the only member of my family it applied to, "We've got a friend who has two spawns of her own and doesn't want anymore, but she did great at being pregnant and all..."

"You've found a surrogate?"

"We have, but legally?"

I explained the legal options where we lived as far as I was aware and told them I would research more when I got back to the office. I was so thrilled for my brother and his partner. I knew Mum would scream when they stood up to be married and Dad would be happy for them, but I was not sure how Giles or Boyd would take it.

"The other thing," Henry was holding Ken's hand, "Would you be our Best Woman? Christian, a good friend of ours has agreed to be our Best Man, but you're my baby sister and we don't see you enough and I want you to be part of our day."

With tears streaming down my face, I agreed. I was the one Henry came to when he thought about stepping out of the closet when he was at uni, and we had always shared a close bond.

"I told Giles he was my favourite brother, but I think he just lost the privilege!"

Dinner was lovely and I noticed Hen and Ken smiling at each other when Rhys and I texted back and forth throughout the night.

"Emily said your dress is gorgeous and I think I trust her judgement..."

I showed Henry a photo of the dress and he clutched his hands to his chest and told me it was perfect, and that Rhys was a lucky man to be stepping out with me in it.

As I lay in my old bed that night sleep eluded me. I had not come up with a story as to how Rhys and I were to break up. I ran through several possibilities in my head. I could not lay the blame at Rhys's feet because he was being so good about the whole weekend. My family knew I was choosy, and I suspected I would have to, in the end, tell them Rhys could not put up with my idiosyncrasies or we were not well suited in the bedroom.

~*~*~*~*~

"You look tired, sweetheart. Not sleeping well without your man next to you?"

"Gee, thanks, Mum! It's just strange being back home again. I forgot about how much I do like it up here and how nice it is being close to my brothers and their partners."

"Do you think Rhys would move up here?"

That was a thought that had not occurred to me the night before. I did miss my family, but I also recognised that if I moved back without a partner then it would be one blind date after another as they tried to set me up with a doctor.

"I'm not sure. We've not talked about it."

"Well, no doubt he'll fall in love with the place as much as he's fallen in love with you."

"Mum, you haven't met him yet. It's too early for you to be talking love. Which room do you want him in tonight by the way?"

"Why yours of course! It would be cruel to separate lovebirds over Valentine's. Don't look so shocked! Your father and I both realise you two are sleeping together. Even your father's not that old fashioned as to believe you're still a virgin. What was it, young Michael Nielsen after your 18th birthday party?"

"Mother!"

"Whatever happened to him?"

"Last I heard he was in sales working down south and happily married with a gaggle of children."

"It could have been you, you know."

"Mother! Really? I was never like Emily and was not going to settle as a teen."

"Well get a move on will you- we still haven't got a grandson."

"Thanks, Mum, I'll keep it in mind," I said sarcastically.

~*~*~*~*~

"So, what's this slight change in plans?" Rhys had greeted me with a hug at the airport which, whilst unexpected was wonderful. I enjoyed his hugs and realised I would miss them come Monday.

"Mum is suddenly all enlightened and doesn't want to separate us so she can't see why we wouldn't share a room this weekend."

"I see..."

"I mean, it's a double bed so it's not that big and there's a chaise on one side of the wall so I could sleep there."

"I'm not kicking you out of your bed. We'll work something out."

"Now it's hush-hush about Henry and Ken remember."

"Of course. Is there anything else I'm meant to know or not know?"

"I don't think so. Bridget and the girls and Emily and Mum are decorating the marquee. They'll probably love your help stringing fairy lights or something." I had not anticipated feeling the excitement I did when collecting Rhys and preparing to show him off to my family.