All Comments on 'Fifteen More Minutes'

by corky53

Sort by:
  • 8 Comments
Emerald_DragonEmerald_Dragonalmost 17 years ago
Ouch

I got lucky with my depression it never got to that point and I had lots of support. Keep on keeping on. feel free to email me if ya want ta chat.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Re: Fifteen More Minutes

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. Major depression is a life-threating illness, and it happened to me 10 years ago (in Arkansas, as well!). While I did not actively make a lethal attempt, I did find myself purposely not looking both ways while crossing streets and driving more recklessly. At the suggestion of a coworker, I received medical help from a physician and counseling from a psychologist who helped me figure out how I became my own worst enemy. People don't seem to understand that when you are seriously depressed reciting positive affirmations and "counting your blessings" has no meaning at all. Feeling suicidal is no different than having severe chest pain and your arm becoming numb; both conditions require immediate medical care. At that point, you can't talk yourself out of a heart attack or killing yourself. I'm glad that you are surviving, and hopefully, thriving.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
My depression.

I did the same thing only my out was pills. It was after I lost my baby in the 6th month of my pregnacy. I did not want to stay on this earth any longer. My soon to be ex was leaving me to go to Florida with a drinking buddy of his. I told him to go since I did not intend to be around anyway. I guess he took me seriously. He called my father who found me in the floor passed out. He took me to the hospital or called an ambulance. I really don't remember which. I woke up in the hospital. We talked finally for a long time when I came home to his house. He had felt the same way when my older sister had died as a baby. So with his help I got through it and now three children and a new husband later I am glad I did.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Re: It's not a disease

The asshole who posted that comment is full of shit! If you want some real info instead of half truths and bald faced lies, I suggest that you refer to the overview on depression in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), available online at psyweb.com. Thanks, author, for sharing your experience.

Alvaron53Alvaron53almost 17 years ago
That guy was a moron

Chronic depression is most certainly a disease. It has physiological causes, and it's not "some shit we just made up cuz we're stoopid". Ignore the ignorant. Remember: once upon a time, they thought the world was flat.

<P>

Thank you, corky53, for sharing your experience.

darkstone57darkstone57about 16 years ago
nice to know i'm not alone

i too suffer from depression and i think your way of handling it is wonderful. i find it will come at me when i least expect it, but i think i will try your idea. does it work for the people on here who don't tell you if your work is good or bad, or just ignore something you put your heart and soul into. any way, great story, and i wish you the best in keeping it going, your son should be very proud of you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
Yeah

I know what you mean. I 'we been planning it for quite a while now. And I do want to get the 'job done' . It would embarrass me to no end if I failed. I'm just collecting my courage :) They say that it's a cowards way out. I would have to disagree, I've been trying to do it for quite a while but somehow always backed down. And as I said, worse than doing it would be to fail. But I'm very glad that you stayed and were there for your son...

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

Well, the character in this story may have figured out a way to beat his depression, but I have to say that this story depressed the hell out of me. He wasn’t very serious about it anyway. If he had been he would have known that a .357 mag at his temple would have done the trick. Guaranteed.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous