Finding Love Pt. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Well, shall we go to the dining room?" Margaret said crisply and walked that way, not waiting for a response. Meg looked after her mother and shook her head. Kate smiled reassuringly at Meg but it didn't help Meg's mood. Margaret's actions had Meg feeling more than just hurt and sadness; she was starting to feel a little bit of anger towards her mother.

"Mom, you didn't have to do anything fancy for us," Meg said and signed. Margaret turned around just as Meg was finishing signing and narrowed her eyes.

"What was that?" She asked Meg.

"I was signing what I was saying so Kate would understand Mom," Meg explained.

"And why would you need to do that?" Margaret asked.

"Because Kate's deaf Mom," Meg answered but gave no further explanation.

Kate had been surprised to learn the night before that Meg's mother had no idea of Kate's disability or the fact that Meg could sign and was Kate's interpreter. Meg had explained that though her mother loved her, she was never really interested in Meg's work life so it never came up.

"Oh!" was all Margaret said as she moved to the table. She had put everything out already and directed Meg to sit on one side, Kate the other and Margaret would sit at the head.

Margaret served the first course and they sat in silence as they ate slowly. This was the complete opposite of the dinner they had with Henry. Margaret all but ignored them as she ate.

"This is very delicious Mrs. Reece, did you make it yourself?" Kate tried asking as she ate the roasted tomato soup.

"Yes, I did," Margaret answered.

They were silent again as they finished the soup and Margaret served egg salad sandwiches with ice tea.

"This is a very interesting room, Mrs. Reece," Kate commented as she looked at their surroundings. "I especially like that painting," Kate said, pointing at the village square scene depicted in the print behind Meg.

"Thank you Katelyn, I purchased that a few years ago while I was on vacation," Margaret said but didn't elaborate further. This was very unlike her. She had always relished the opportunity to speak about her travels and the things she had collected.

"I think my tea needs more ice, excuse me," Margaret said and left.

"What are you doing?" Meg signed to Kate.

"I'm trying to make conversation with the woman but she's a tough nut," Kate signed back with a smirk.

"It's not funny Kate. She's deliberately snubbing you, us," Meg continued.

"Maybe she's just nervous about everything."

"Why do you keep taking her side?" Meg signed angrily.

"I'm not, promise," Kate told her. They didn't know Margaret was standing off to one side watching them.

"Megan, I need help with the dessert if you don't mind," Margaret said as she came back to the table. Kate read the words and volunteered to help before Meg could answer.

In the kitchen, Kate poured coffee into three cups and placed them on a tray with milk and sugar while Margaret cut and plated the pecan pie and topped the slices off with whipped cream.

The lunch turned out to be tortuous, with Kate being the only one to really make and effort. Meg was furious with her mother for treating them like they were unwelcomed when the lunch was in fact her idea.

Margaret had been shocked to learn about Kate's disability and now she didn't know what to think. Things were complicated enough as it was with Meg being a lesbian and now Meg's girlfriend was disabled as well. Margaret didn't consider herself as being discriminatory; in her mind she was just looking out for her daughter's best interest.

Kate excused herself to the bathroom and this gave Meg and her mother a few minutes alone.

"Why are you doing this, Mom? This lunch was your idea and now you're acting like you don't want us here," Meg said to her mother.

"No sweetheart, I just didn't expect you to be with someone like that," Margaret said.

"Someone like what, Mom?" Meg asked, her voice rising slightly.

"Now calm down Megan. I just mean that things are difficult enough with your new lifestyle, being with someone like that will complicate things even further,"

"What are you trying to say Mom, just spit it out," Meg shouted as she stood from her chair.

"Don't you raise your voice to me, Megan Reece; I am still your mother. If you are going to be with a woman, at least you could have found a normal one instead of a disabled one," Margaret said as she too stood.

Kate was just returning to the dining room when she saw Meg's hand raise and smack her mother across the face. The force of it caused Margaret to stagger a bit as she held her cheek, her eyes wide with shock as she stared at her daughter.

Kate rushed to Meg who was angry to the point where tears were flowing down her cheeks.

Meg couldn't look at her mother and turned to Kate. The emotions were too much and Meg's knees buckled. Kate grabbed Meg and held her up. Kate's hours in the gym paid off as she lifted Meg and, taking most of Meg's weight, led her to the kitchen.

"Meg, baby, what happened?" Kate asked as she looked at Meg's hurt and broken expression.

"My mother, she said something that I'll never forgive her for. How can she be like that, so horrible," Meg cried and held on to Kate.

"It's okay baby, everything will be alright," Kate told Meg and held her close.

Margaret had recovered somewhat from the hit and had made her way to the kitchen after them. She watched as Kate tenderly held Meg then wiped away Meg's tears with her thumbs. Margaret saw the tender kiss Kate placed on Meg's lips and listened to Kate's soft words of comfort and love. In those few moments Margaret saw a love both deep and beautiful.

"Come on babe, let go home and I'll draw you a bath. I'll close my eyes as you get in, promise," Kate said, which made Meg laugh. Margaret didn't understand the joke but was amazed at how Kate's simple words and touch could calm her daughter so quickly.

Margaret felt ashamed for her actions and for what she had said. She knew she was wrong for judging Kate just because she was different. Margaret decided that she couldn't let things end like that, with her daughter not knowing that she understood. She stepped fully into the kitchen.

"Megan," Margaret said tentatively.

"Whatever it is, I don't want to hear it. You can keep you bigoted comments to yourself," Meg spat at her mother.

"No Megan, please, I'm sorry. I was wrong to say those things, to think those things about Katelyn," Margaret pleaded.

"Yes you were wrong, but it's too late to apologize, Mom. It's burned into my memory what you think about the woman I love. I don't know if I'll ever be able to forgive you for this," Meg said. She turned to Kate and signed. "Let's go," then walked out of the kitchen.

"I'm sorry Mrs. Reece. I'll try to talk to her," Kate said to Margaret.

"Thank you Katelyn ... Kate," Margaret responded as her eyes filled with tears at she realized that she might have lost her only child forever.

"And put some ice on that cheek, otherwise it'll swell," Kate said then went after Meg.

They drove back to Meg's apartment and Kate did draw Meg a warm bath. Kate waited outside the bathroom as Meg stripped and sat in the tub. Kate busied herself with laying out some comfortable clothes for Meg and thinking of ways to distract Meg from her troubles.

After a long while Meg emerged from the bathroom and, seeing the clothes on her bed, she smiled. She dressed and met Kate on the sofa where they spent the rest of the day cuddling and watching movies with subtitles.

Chapter 46

When Henry arrived at home he found Margaret sitting at the kitchen table, holding an ice pack to her face. Her eyes were puffy, obviously from crying and Henry couldn't remember seeing his wife so disheveled.

"Margaret? What happened?" Henry asked as he placed his golf clubs in the storage closet.

"I did something bad, made a huge mistake," Margaret answered, her voice soft and sad.

"Whatever it is, I'm sure it'll be okay," Henry consoled.

"No, it won't be. I've lost her, Henry."

"Who Margaret, who are you talking about?"

"Megan. I said some things, harsh, hurtful things to our baby. She may never forgive me for it, Henry," Margaret said and burst into tears. She threw the ice pack on the table and Henry saw how swollen her cheek looked.

"Good God, Margaret, what happened to your face?"

"Megan was very upset. I deserved it."

"Megan hit you?" Henry asked, shocked that his sweet daughter could do such a thing.

"It wasn't her fault Henry. I said some things about Katelyn," Margaret confessed.

"Alright, what exactly did you say?"

"I made a comment about Kate's disability and how difficult life would be for her with Kate."

Two things shocked Henry ― the prejudice of his wife and the fact that she called Katelyn Kate.

"So Megan was so enraged with you that she hit you?"

"Yes."

"Well darling, you kinda asked for it. What did you do afterwards?"

"I apologized but she wouldn't accept. She said she may never forgive me for all that I said."

"I can't blame her. I saw it myself Margaret. Our Megan is wholly, deeply in love with Kate and nothing we do or say can change that. We need to accept it or we'll lose her."

"I've already lost her, Henry," Margaret cried as fresh tears began to stream down her cheeks. Henry moved to his wife and held her. It had been a long time since he had wanted to do that.

They had become strangers to each other in the last few years. He had thrown himself into his work and Margaret did what she did. What that was Henry didn't even know anymore.

"Hush Maggie, it'll be okay," Henry told her.

"Oh God, you haven't called me that in years," Margaret said.

"I know. I think the last time was when we were on vacation in New York, which was eight years ago."

"Nine," Margaret corrected.

"Right. What the hell happened to us, Maggie?"

"We changed, grew apart. It happens, Henry."

"I've hate that it has."

"Me too."

"I should take you to the hospital, that cheek looks bad."

"I'll be fine if you'll keep holding me," Margaret told him. The words made Henry smile.

"I'm happy to."

They stayed seated together, Henry holding Margaret close as both silently remembered when things were good between them, when they were happy being together and not living separate lives.

"What am I going to do, Henry? How can I make things right between Megan and me?"

"Well for starters, she needs some time. Rushing things will only push her further away."

"I saw it, you know, how much Kate loves her."

"Oh?"

"Yes, it was very beautiful how Kate was with her. She was very gentle and calmed Megan's anger with a few words and a kiss."

"Yes, when I had dinner with them I heard it in Kate's voice. She loves our daughter very much. Megan is lucky to have found someone who is so devoted."

"I'm afraid, Henry; what if I can't fix this?"

"When she calms down I'll talk to her, try to reason with her and see if she'll talk to you. I can't promise that she'll listen, but I will try Margaret, for you."

"Thank you Henry, that means a lot."

"We may have drifted, Margaret, but I still love you."

"I love you too Henry, no matter what has happened between us, you are and will always be my first and only," Margaret told him. Henry smiled and cupped Margaret's good cheek. He brought his lips to hers in a gentle kiss. Margaret moaned and Henry pulled back afraid he'd hurt her injured cheek.

"I'm sorry, did I hurt you?"

"No, I'm okay. Nothing another kiss won't fix," Margaret said with a small smile. Henry smiled back.

* * * *

Three days later Meg was at her desk when her father entered the office. It was very surprising since he had never visited her at work before.

"Hello Megan." Henry's greeting was warm.

"Dad, hi, is everything alright?"

"Yes, I just thought I'd come by and take you to lunch if you're available."

"Uh, yeah Dad, sure, just let me tell Kate I'm leaving," Meg told him and went into Kate's office.

"My dad's here," Meg signed.

"He is?"

"Yes, he wants to take me to lunch."

"That's nice of him," Kate commented as she watched Meg's slightly agitated state.

"No it's not. He never once in five years came to take me to lunch but now shows up all of a sudden. It's about mom, it has to be."

"Babe, if it is, that's a good thing. You need to work this out. You've been mopey since this thing happened. You have to get past it somehow. Maybe talking with your father will help," Kate said.

"Yeah, maybe it could help. And I do not mope," Meg said with a smile.

"Yes, you do. Now go have a good lunch. I love you babe," Kate said and kissed Meg softly.

"I love you too," Meg answered and Kate followed her out of the office where she greeted Henry and watched the pair go.

Henry drove them to a quiet little bistro where they had sandwiches and ice tea.

"Do you want to tell me what happened between you and your mother?" Henry opened.

"Didn't she tell you?" Meg replied.

"I'm asking you Megan."

"Do you still love her, Dad?"

"Megan, I will always love your mother but I don't want to talk about that. I want to talk about you and her."

"Dad I asked because I want to know how you can love someone so ignorant and mean and cruel," Meg told him.

"Sweetheart, your mother talks before she thinks sometimes. She's been that way as long as I've known her. Yes, what she said was hurtful and wrong and she knows that. She didn't want to hurt you or Kate. She loves you and was just worried for you.

"She should have remembered that you are an adult and, as much as she worries, you have to make your own choices. You know what makes you happy. Do you think I was happy when you told me that you're a lesbian? It's not that I have anything against gays but I know what's out there. There's discrimination, hate and maybe even danger. Regardless of all that, this is who you are and I can't fight that.

"You are fortunate enough to find someone who loves you so completely. I have accepted that you are and will be happy so I have to be happy for you or risk losing you. Your mother is aware that she made a huge mistake. She's human, Megan, and not perfect. She knows she was wrong and is terribly sorry about it. Please try to accept that and remember that you love her. She wants to be in your life. Will you let her?"

"I don't know if I can trust her Dad. She broke my heart when she said those things about Kate. Kate is the kindest, sweetest person I've ever known. She's patient and romantic and just everything I've ever wanted. I wish mom could see that."

"She does sweetheart, she does." Henry went on to tell Meg about what her mother had said about seeing the love between her and Kate. Meg was surprised that her mother had said that, had noticed it.

"So Dad, you're saying that mom is okay with Kate and me?"

"Meg, I'm saying that your mom wants to try. It'll take her some time but she's willing. You can't ask more than that now can you?"

"No, I guess not. I slapped her Dad, hard," Meg said sadly. It had hurt her deeply that she had done that.

"I know, I saw the damage," Henry told her.

"Oh, is it really bad?"

"Well some slight swelling and bruising but she didn't want to go to the hospital and hasn't left the house since."

"I'm so sorry I did that Dad. Will you tell her please?"

"She would prefer to hear it directly from you. I know she's probably the last person you want to see but please, do try," Henry implored her.

"I'll think about it."

Meg went back to work feeling a little better. She wasn't sure she was ready to face her mother but knew her father was right. Any apology she had to make needed to be done in person. She wasn't looking forward to that.

Meg found Kate waiting for her when she returned to the office. Seeing the brilliant smile that Kate flashed her, Meg knew that with Kate at her side she could do anything.

Chapter 47

"I don't think I can do this," Meg said her voice fraught with anxiety.

"Yes you can," Kate told her as she watched Meg pace back and forth across Kate's living room.

"No, not without you there," Meg stopped her pacing to sign before she continued her trek.

"Meg, baby, listen to me," Kate said as she stood and took Meg by the shoulders. "You asked for my thoughts. I think things will go a lot smoother with your mother if it's just the two of you."

"But you keep me grounded. What if I get mad at her again, who or what will stop me from doing something I'll regret later?"

"Your dad said she's sorry and wants to apologize; you need to apologize too so there's nothing to worry about. Just remember, you love your mom and she loves you. You can do this, baby. I know you can," Kate said.

Meg wasn't a hundred percent convinced but agreed. She had been agonizing over things for an entire week and was finally ready to seek out her mother. After a long kiss for courage and luck, Meg set off to talk to her mother.

Margaret was a nervous wreck, wondering if she could really salvage things between herself and Meg. Henry had done his best to mediate between the two women and now was the moment of truth. Margaret just hoped she wouldn't screw up what was most likely her last chance at making things right with her daughter.

Megan sat in her car for ten minutes before she finally worked up the nerve to walk up and knock on the front door. Margaret opened the door and smiled tensely at her daughter. Meg was relieved not to see any lingering trace of the slap to her Mother's face.

"Hi Mom," Meg opened, her voice giving away how tense she was.

"Hello Megan. Come on in. Can I get you something to drink?"

"Uh, yeah, some wine would be great," Meg said, thinking that it would calm her.

"Yes, I think we may both need it," Margaret replied and headed to the kitchen. Meg followed and waited while Margaret opened a bottle and poured them each a glass. They moved to the living room, glasses in hand and sat on the couch.

"Mom." "Megan." They both began at the same time after each had taken several sips. They both smiled at the strain they heard in the other's voice.

"Why don't you go first Megan," Margaret offered.

"Thanks. I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am about hitting you. I shouldn't have done that Mom. Mad or not you are my mother and it was wrong of me."

"Thank you honey, it means a lot to hear you say that. I'm sorry too for my part in all of it. For all that I said. I was wrong Megan, very wrong about everything.

"As a parent I wanted to protect you from what I thought was bad for you. However I see that Kate is anything but bad; she's good for you and makes you happy. It's taken me time to learn, understand and remember that love is everything. Once you have that, you can overcome anything. I'm so sorry I was so mean and hurtful to you, Megan. I don't expect you to forgive me, but I don't want to lose you honey," Margaret couldn't help the tears that began to flow as she poured out her heart to Meg.

Meg didn't know what to expect when she came to speak with Margaret so this took her by surprise. Her mother was indeed sorry and remorseful for her actions. Meg wanted to believe her mother's sincerity but still questioned it in the back of her mind. She had been hurt before and didn't want to be hurt again.

"Mom, are you saying that you'll accept Kate as my significant other, my girlfriend, my partner, whatever she is to me?"

"Yes. She is a part of your life and I want to be a part of that life also. I've been reading about same sex couples. You two could get married, have children. You're my only child Megan. I don't want to be shut out of your life, your wedding, and my possible grandchildren's lives. I accept Kate as part of my family for as long as you two are together."