Fineprint

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Snekguy
Snekguy
2,796 Followers

He examined the desk, it looked like mahogany, but it was surely some native species of tree. The deep brown, varnished sheen was inlaid with carved heads. They looked like cats, not Borealans, something else. Perhaps some local animal. Because there were no windows the only light in the office came from a bulb on the ceiling, putting out a less harsh, more yellow light than their sun. The cats had done their research.

If only they had installed artificial gravity generators, even if it was just in one room. His legs ached, and his back was beginning to get sore. He believed them when they told him he would adapt to the new gravity, but how long would that take?

His feet dangled from the tall chair, it made him feel like a child sitting at a dinner table in a booster seat. Fortunately, the front of the desk had an obscuring panel, and so anyone standing on the other side would not be able to see that. The floor was carpeted with a deep, royal red, and even the shelves on the walls were works of art in their own right. Overall the room looked like the office of a tasteless statesman, or maybe a politician who fancied himself a big player. Dennis loved it.

After a couple of minutes, Xhe hurried back into the room holding a wooden mug comparable in size to a thermos. She placed it on the table, waiting eagerly, and Dennis hefted it awkwardly to take a tentative sip.

"Thank you Xhe, that hits the spot," he said as he felt the rasping in his scoured throat receding. "You've done an excellent job on the embassy, by the way, my compliments to the architects."

Xhe beamed, her fuzzy tail flicking backwards and forwards, almost like a dog wagging. Dennis remarked the faded tiger stripes that decorated it, the same were present on the furred areas of her limbs too.

"I'm glad that it pleases you, Ambassador. We attempted to imitate human styles."

"This tapestry," he said, gesturing to the larger battle scene that dominated one wall as he took another drink from the cup "What does it depict?"

Xhe turned to examine it.

"That is the battle of Elysia. It depicts the ancestor of Patriarch Elysiedde capturing this territory after laying siege to its citadel. Shortly after, he would found the capital city."

"A Patriarch is your leader then? Like a King or a President?"

"Yes, more like a King, though the title is not usually hereditary. It can be taken by force, but the breeding of great families is impeccable, and that rarely happens."

Eugenics, then? Interesting, this species had no moral qualms about the practice.

"Does it have to be a male? Have you had any female leaders?"

"No, it can be a Matriarch, there is less..." Xhe struggle with a word. "Dimorf..."

"Sexual dimorphism?" Dennis offered.

"Yes, there is less sexual dimorphism among Borealans than among humans."

Dennis had imagined male Borealans to be even larger and more imposing, but that might not be the case. He was somewhat relieved. It was hard enough craning his neck to speak with this female, as oddly attractive as she was.

"Will I be introduced to the current Patriarch?"

"Oh, yes, very soon in fact. He is aware of the difficulties experienced by humans in the early stages of their visit and will be coming here in person. An honor that I am sure you can appreciate."

Dennis' mood soured somewhat, he would not make a good impression on the leader of this planet in his current state. He would have preferred to have a straight back and a firm handshake when introducing himself, rather than being slumped in a chair with his face coated in sweat. Perhaps such an early visit was a strategic attempt to make the Patriarch's presence more overpowering? Had the political maneuvering already begun?

"Excellent," he replied, putting on his best smile. He had been told that Borealans were nightmarish and ill-tempered, but Xhe was lovely, very helpful too. He still had the booklet with him, he should examine it more closely and read the rest of its entries in private.

"Do you know if my luggage has arrived Xhe? I sent it ahead of me."

"Yes, we received several containers. They have been stored in your bedroom as requested."

"Perfect, thank you."

He wasn't sure what to do now. He didn't feel like unpacking, he just wanted to sit down. It felt as if a giant boulder was compressing his chest. Perhaps he should make small talk, get to know his new aide.

"So, Xhe, tell me about yourself. How did you learn English?"

She looked flustered, had he overstepped some social boundary or was it just uncommon to show interest in the lives of employees here? She answered anyway.

"All soldiers and diplomats must learn your language, we have a school in Elysia that teaches it, then to learn human culture and social conventions we must travel to the Pinwheel and undergo integration training."

"I keep hearing about this station, what does this integration training consist of exactly?"

"Well, human and Borealan society is very different. Interacting with humans can be...trying for us. We must undergo intensive training to learn to suppress our pack instincts in order to live and work alongside humans."

"It may surprise you, but I didn't really know much about your people or your culture before coming here. I intended to learn through immersion, but I did come across some information that...worried me."

Xhe was visibly surprised, and her flat brow furrowed.

"Oh, I assumed that you would have completed immersion training. Your superiors did not order such schooling?"

"No, you're the first Borealan I've met."

Xhe looked concerned, touching her clawed fingers to her chin pensively.

"That complicates things. They sent you here with no training and no knowledge of our society?"

"Is that a problem?" Dennis asked, starting to get very worried.

"I will have to teach you, please do not leave this building without me, Ambassador."

Lord, what had he gotten himself into here? He winced, his back was starting to hurt in this chair, the gravity was intolerable.

"Xhe, I assume there's a bed in this bedroom that you mentioned?"

"Yes."

"Could you help me up? I'd like very much to lie down for a while."

She moved behind the desk and lifted him under the arm, the pressure returning to his legs as she eased him out of the chair and he hobbled out of the office. There was no second floor in the building, the bedroom was at the end of the marble hallway behind another wooden door.

She opened it into another ornately decorated, stately room. The Borealans had spared no expense, and their attempts to impress him had succeeded with flying colors. The question that he kept asking himself, however, was just what the Borealans thought an Ambassador was?

The bed was gigantic, the headboard was hewn from an intricately carved block of wood and must have weighed half a ton on its own. Upon it were masterfully crafted reliefs depicting more battle scenes and what looked like a hunting party of Borealans chasing down a large animal in the jungle.

Xhe lifted him onto the mattress, and he sank into the soft material, his pain immediately relieved.

"How long do I have until the Patriarch arrives, Xhe?"

"One moment," she said as she retrieved a tablet computer and tapped at its screen. "In your time, three quarter hours."

"Thank you." He relaxed, sighing as the stress on his muscles and joints was alleviated.

***

Xhe closed the door on the human, intending to give him some privacy. It was odd being subservient to such a small, frail creature. He was barely able to survive on Borealis itself, let alone challenge one of her people. It gave her a creeping sensation of wrongness, but this was what she had trained for.

Months on the Pinwheel with the Patriarch's vaunted daughter had prepared her for this line of work. The girl was now a Matriarch in her own right, albeit ruling over the microcosm of the station rather than a territory. She was expected to succeed her father in time, and she was the foremost expert on humans. Along with her human companion, she had taught Xhe what was expected of a secretary, one who serves the Ambassador. Xhe would never have been selected for such a task were it not for her extraordinary temperament, but even with that advantage, it had taken her months to meet the standards that Raz Elysiedde had set for her.

Xhe could be in the company of humans indefinitely now, and what few impulses to assert herself over them still rose to the surface could be kept under control. She had even learned to defer to the aliens, to take commands and to accept their leadership. Were an inferior of her own kind to make such outrageous challenges to her status, she would claw them viciously and teach them their place. But she had come to learn the way of these humans, their bizarre, contradictory social system and their obtuse culture.

Besides, this Carlisle might be physically inferior but his status was very high, he represented the UN and all of their colonies. He must be an individual of great and noble exploits to have earned such an honorable position. She should show him respect, surely after his period of adjustment to the planet's crushing gravity, his valorous character would shine through.

***

Dennis splashed water on his face from a tall marble basin in his en-suite bathroom. He scrutinized his reflection in the mirror, straightening his tie and polishing his UN badge with his sleeve. The Patriarch, or Elysiedde as he was known, would be arriving soon. He must look his best and make a good first impression. The gravity still tugged at him, threatening to pull him to ground and crush his joints into bone dust, but he would have to endure it as best he could. His legs felt as if he had climbed a mountain with a rucksack full of breeze blocks.

Xhe knocked on his door, and he hesitated before answering, marveling at her knowledge of human social conventions.

"Is it time, Xhe?"

"Ambassador, my Lord Patriarch Elysiedde will see you now."

Dennis composed himself and put on his best diplomatic smile, striding confidently into the hallway.

He was confronted with nine feet of male Borealan. The specimen was almost as wide as a human was tall, his massive shoulders supporting a head the size of a lion's with a flowing mane of orange hair to match. He was wearing an outfit made from light, billowy fabric not dissimilar from Xhe's clothing, suitable attire for this kind of heat. His tunic was sewn from flowing material in a shade of deep crimson that was secured about his waist with a leather belt. Its golden buckle glinted in the light, and beneath it, he wore a pair of shorts that ended at his knees. The fabric of the tunic was embroidered with scenes similar to those of the tapestries in the office, hunters tracking unidentifiable animals and warriors aiming long rifles, depicted with intricately woven threads in a shade of regal gold.

Draped across his chest was a large sash, studs and badges that might be the Elysian equivalent of medals embellishing it in shining gold and silver. What honors and achievements they might boast Dennis could not say. Even his claws were adorned with gold, each one sheathed in an ornate thimble that was linked to a ring on one of his thick fingers via a delicate chain. A flowing cape trailed on the ground behind him, made from the soft, downy hide of some alien creature. The layered fur shifted in hue as it caught the light, iridescent like a soap bubble or the shell of a colorful beetle. It was beautiful, mesmerizing. Dennis tried to contain his awe, hoping that it did not show on his face.

The Borealan spoke, his rumbling voice reverberating in the enclosed space, making Dennis' bones shake. It was such a deep baritone, it sounded like someone was messing with the pitch in audio editing software. His English was very good, with the same hint of a Russian accent that Xhe exhibited.

"Ambassador Carlisle, we meet at last. I hope you will excuse the unfinished state of your embassy."

Dennis fidgeted with his tie as he replied, doing his best to keep his voice from wavering.

"Not at all, Patriarch, the embassy you have built is grand and tastefully decorated. I find myself impressed by your knowledge of human culture and the subtle Borealan touches that you elected to include."

Oh God, had he addressed him correctly? Should he call him Patriarch or was it Elysiedde, or maybe Lord? Should he dumb down his grammar so that the alien might better understand him or would that be seen as an insult to his intelligence?

"Yes, I displayed some tapestries from my own private collection in your office. I am pleased that you can appreciate them. How are you finding our quaint little planet, Ambassador? Do her claws still grip you?"

He had to think for a moment, the Patriarch must mean the gravity.

"Yes, she has quite a grip! Given enough time I will adapt, however, and I see no reason that I won't be able to fulfill all of my diplomatic duties."

Elysiedde liked Dennis' response, laughing heartily, the low baritone echoing through the hall.

"Good, good. I am aware of the fragility of our human visitors. You should be on your feet, touring the capital within a few rotations. I will not take up too much of your time, it is better that you rest for now. But when you have recovered, I expect you to attend one of my banquets. I would like to show off my alien guest to the leaders of the other territories."

"Of course, Patriarch. It was an honor to meet you. I observed the impressive architecture of your city on the way down, I'm eager to explore it and meet the people who live here."

Elysiedde nodded, then turned to leave, his shining cloak flowing behind him. He strode down the marble hall towards the entrance, his claws clicking on the hard surface. When he reached the large, wooden door, he turned around again.

"Oh, and Ambassador. Xhe is not only your aide, but a member of your pack now. She will obey any command that you give her without hesitation. Please don't be hesitant to make any and all use of her during your stay, she has been specially trained for this task."

With that, he left, and Dennis looked to Xhe. She had been almost cowering in a corner during the Patriarch's visit, was she afraid of him, or was this one of their alien social rituals?

"What did he mean by that, Xhe?"

Her tail was flicking back and forth seemingly in irritation, and there was a flush of pink in her cheeks. She looked flustered, a little angry maybe.

"How much do you know about Borealan social structures, Ambassador?"

"Not a lot," he admitted. "I know you live in packs, but that's about it."

"Borealans don't really have friends in the way that humans do, we form packs, and each pack has anywhere between one and a dozen members. The leader of the pack is the one who physically overcomes the others, usually through violence. They are the Alpha of that pack, they command unwavering loyalty and deference from the others. During my training, I learned how to suppress the instincts that govern such behavior in order to work alongside and take instructions from a human, who would under normal circumstances be my inferior."

Dennis swallowed as he looked her up and down. Xhe had two feet over him, she must weigh about half a ton, and she had claws like meat hooks. If she had wanted to overpower him through violence, the fight would be an exceedingly short one.

"My position as your secretary puts me in a subservient position to you. In Borealan culture, this makes you my Alpha. I must obey any order given."

"Xhe, you know I'm not a Borealan. Humans employ each other and form power structures unrelated to their social status all the time, you don't have to be my slave in order to work for me."

She raised a hand, gesturing for him to stop.

"Trust me, it is better this way. The training that I underwent was intensive. I suggest you pay it no mind and focus on your duties, do not concern yourself with me. I will work around you."

"I'm not going to ask you to do anything that a human secretary wouldn't do," he clarified. Just what exactly was she expecting?

She nodded, was she a little relieved? The Patriarch's comment had been strange, but no matter, he was here to do a job. Better to make the best of the situation.

"Sounds like I have some free time before my diplomatic duties begin, I guess I'll get unpacked!"

He returned to his room on shaky legs, and Xhe trailed behind him.

***

Dennis unpacked his clothes, his toiletries, and a few personal items. Among them was a slab of Kobe beef that had been given to him by the Ambassador to Japan. It was contained within a stasis unit to preserve it, a sizable square box with transparent windows and a blob of nondescript machinery on one end that contained the technology required to slow time in the contained space. The container was not of human origin, it was a device of Broker design, one of the more enigmatic member species of the Coalition to which humanity belonged. They were reluctant to share their advanced technology and so this alien artifact was quite the rare prize. It might be the most expensive gift ever delivered but it would keep the meat fresh, and it was the best that Earth could produce.

It would make an excellent gift for the Patriarch, Dennis would present it to him at one of the banquets that he had mentioned.

"What do you think, Xhe?" he asked. He hefted the container so that she could see inside it and her eyes widened, lingering on the marbled meat.

"What is it?"

"This is Kobe beef, the most expensive luxury meat that Earth produces. The livestock are fed a special diet and massaged daily to improve the flavor. I'm going to give it to the Patriarch as a gift, do you think he'll like it?"

She nodded enthusiastically, her round ears flopping with the motion.

"You might not know a lot about my people, Ambassador, but whoever gave you that gift certainly did their research."

Satisfied, he set the container down and got back to work.

Among the possessions that been shipped ahead was a large trunk, doubly heavy in this intolerable gravity. He tasked Xhe with dragging it to the center of the room. Pushing a button on the side made it open up like the petals of a flower, revealing a sophisticated communications and computing station. It would allow him to do any work that required a computer and to communicate with the UN and Navy High Command. The receiver was powerful enough to send and receive data to orbiting satellites.

Xhe seemed fascinated by the device, walking around it and examining the powerful transmitters. He turned it on, its self-contained power source whirring to life. The monitors flared, displaying data on the status of the computer and its peripherals.

"It's a computer," he explained, showing her the keyboard and the trackball mouse. Xhe reached out and rolled the trackball experimentally, watching it spin.

"We have computers, of course, but this is advanced compared to ours. No doubt the Patriarch will want one if he sees it..."

"I had heard that he enjoys buying foreign technology, especially ships," Dennis said as he started a diagnostic scan. He had to make sure that no components had been damaged during transport.

"Yes," she replied, "Elysia is the only territory that can afford to buy starships right now. My Lord Patriarch has made it a matter of inter-territorial grandstanding."

"You don't approve?"

Xhe lowered her head as if she had done something wrong. The Patriarch was not in earshot, did Borealan subservience to those of higher social status run so deep?

"It is not my place to question the Patriarch, but I do wonder if the money could not be better spent elsewhere. Our pacts with the Coalition guarantee the protection of the planet from space, in exchange for our best warriors serving on the front. Our soldiers are just happy to be occupied. There has not been war on Borealis for a generation, the Elysiedde family line has dominated, and Elysia is the most powerful territory. She commands respect above all others."

Snekguy
Snekguy
2,796 Followers