All Comments on 'Flash of Agony'

by Vanadorn

Sort by:
  • 43 Comments
badinbedbadinbedalmost 9 years ago
YES!

Don't need to say more... Your longer stories are always great, but it's taken you a few tries to nail these flash efforts. You did this time! Each has gotten successively better.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbylovealmost 9 years ago
Damn

You making me try to think too hard. Flash tales are nice but they have to mean something.

no rating

chytownchytownalmost 9 years ago
Good Read****

You my friend have almost mastered the art of Flash Stories in my opinion. Thanks for sharing.

tazz317tazz317almost 9 years ago
SOMETIMES AFTER ALL THE AGONY

Extasy is right around the corner. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Tale didn't really say anything.

Just flat out empty. If you going to post something, have it say something!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
I got it

No bad .. reminders of mortality, and what's important to you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
The author makes you look at how we take our wives for granted.

We get into a routine after so many years of marriage or with a significant other, we forget to show our love and commitment to our partner and take to much for granted. That is one way to loose a partner.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
I gave it 5 stars...

... I find these short stories of your's to be refreshing. Panther fan.

bearsladybearsladyalmost 9 years ago

I liked this one. Short, sweet and to the point. With a few layers if one cares to look further. Nicely done

orater1orater1almost 9 years ago
Excellent

I know you have a wide range of "commentators" and some just don't get it. But - for those of us that either have or, wish they had something to be thankful for....THANK YOU.

RhomanovRhomanovalmost 9 years ago
*****

I really liked this.

Short, sweet, and to the point.

Too bad most won't get it ...

swingerjoeswingerjoealmost 9 years ago
Okay...and...?

Once upon a time, there was a man who got into a car accident.

The end.

FLASH!

Next.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
I like you work but you lost me on this one.

Sorry

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Great story...

Great short story. And for those who don't get it...don't worry. Plenty of other crap to wank to...move along, nothing to see here..

frontlinecasterfrontlinecasteralmost 9 years ago

Aww, once again, the crowd doesn't seem so excited about this one. Must be the lack of snuff porn, it really just seems to knock a few points off the average score. Don't worry anons, I'm sure the author will go back to describing violence towards women so you can get it up again soon.

palewriterpalewriteralmost 9 years ago
that ole behindthelinescowerer

loves to set up straw men and proclaim how much more moral he/she/it is over mortal and very flawed commenters.

Before he/she/it (there may be a moniker but bio is devoid of information... no better than anonymous really) responds with total fabrication I am opposed to violence, certainly to murder, vehemently opposed to rape and non-consent, believe that no means no, and favor lifetime imprisonment for those who do and fear for the minds and friends and families of those who enjoy reading that stuff.

This is a tale nicely told which demands reflection and taking one's personal inventory. Bravo.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
FLC

What a.small.bitter little person you are.Not happy ever.You are actually complaining about people.not complaing.You sir are.a.100% moron Have bitter life !

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Thought-provoking

My only two quibbles are why we only heard his side of the call. It wasn't as if the writer was Sally, who could not have heard the wife's side, and why we could not have had some details about why Mike felt estranged from his wife.

Tw0Cr0wsTw0Cr0wsalmost 9 years ago
good, really good

No need for more, what is here tells the story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago

I liked it but my only question is does he think his wife is cheating on him or is he cheating on her and the guilt or hurt is coming from the other lady's story

njlaurennjlaurenalmost 9 years ago
Doesn't take a genius

To figure this out.Mike's wife isn't cheating,he sees the pain Sally is in,having her life and marriage blown apart,and is reminded that in the craziness of life he and his wife may not be saying what they should,and took the opportunity to reach out.Sometimes it tskes seeing what you can lose to appreciate what you have.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Even a flash story ...

... has to be 'complete', and this isn't. You left us guessing as to what was going on, and really without a clue. Like, WTF? It's okay to let the reader 'fill in the gaps', but you have to guide them a little bit. This piece didn't do that, so zero stars as opposed to one, which is better for you. Redeem yourself with a 'Part 2'.

impo_61impo_61almost 9 years ago
It tells the story, but...

It tells the story, but leaves a lot of details out of it...so the readers have to decide what was realy happening, between some scenarios: 1st - was the wife cheating? 2nd - Was he the one cheating? 3rd - Was he about to cheat? However 3*

retmstrretmstralmost 9 years ago
****

Story brings back memories. Good one. Cheers!

rightbankrightbankalmost 9 years ago
sometimes it takes a bit of a dope slap

to understand what is important.

frontlinecasterfrontlinecasteralmost 9 years ago

The best part of this story is how the bitter, lonely old men who make up most of the readers in this section can't even read a conversation between husband and wife without immediately jumping to 'She must be cheating on him!!!!!!' Even when there is literally nothing in the text of the story to support this.

But the misogyny of the crowd here is so bad that they look at a story about a woman who was cheated on by her husband and think 'wait....something seems wrong here....where is the dumb slut who can't keep her legs together, everyone knows that's what /really/ breaks up marriages.'

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
A flash of poignant truth. And in response, an act of love. Thank You!

I have an instinct that, intentionally or not, the author has here crafted a story that is difficult to understand and relate to, unless you have or have had a relationship so long and deep that it becomes second nature to you, and sometimes slips below your consciousness. Despite their life and time together, Tevya asks Golde, "Do you love me?" So Mike calls his wife to tell her, he loves her. After listening to Sally's heart wrenching story, Mike does not see an opportunity to cheat with a stricken vulnerable woman. He does not feel guilt and remorse for inflicting on his wife what Sally's husband has inflicted on his wife, and children, and extended family. Instead, Sally's pain and humiliation prompts Mike to question how he has been treating his wife, his marriage, lately. Mike takes the opportunity to learn from other people's mistakes, and to remind and encourage his wife that, despite lack of words or gestures, he loves her. Simple. Profound.

I could watch the Bolshoi Ballet, listen to the Metropolitan Opera, or attend a World Series baseball game, and get nothing special from any of it. That's my loss. If you got nothing special from this story, that's your loss. It portrays more about life, love, conflict, and victory, than any dance, song, or sporting event ever could.

Thank You.

bruce22bruce22almost 9 years ago
Good Short Snort

What surprised most was the insecurity of some of the readers. For me, he just remembered that he had not told his wife that he loved her recently and that he was overdue. No one is guilty of anything.... Hmm, but it is in LW

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Too bad

I consider this story to be unreadable

if you expect me to waste my time getting into your head, make it worth while......you DIDN'T

extemporeextemporealmost 9 years ago
Good Story!

A solid flash story about two people having a really bad morning -- Sally more than Mike.

Seeing Sally in such misery, and feeling pretty shitty himself, he's reminded of his wife and feels the need to remind her that he loves her. It's a touching moment.

There's no cheater in this story but Sally's husband. If the story doesn't refer or even hint at any other cheating, It didn't happen. It's not that complicated. If you missed it, read it again.

SigintSigintalmost 9 years ago
Great Job

Take it to the big leagues, you've outgrown this joint.

ptolmetptolmetalmost 8 years ago
Real

To think that even in agony he sees her pain as real and recognizes the possibilities in his own life. Then takes steps to fix it right away. This is how this might present in real life. Very well written and from a great perspective. Thank you for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
the sudden twinge he felt in his heart matched the one he felt in his back

.... please help me understand why? I am usually quite astute but I'm lost here.... come on Vanadorn please help me out..... I'm just not getting it.Sorry!

HikingThruHikingThrualmost 6 years ago
my guess

I think author meant that his heart (i.e, his marriage too) was sprained, but that it was still fixable with proper care, and he realized it from her sad story, so he called his wife.

calflashcalflashover 5 years ago
Dick and Jane

For those who didn't get the gist of this well done flash story, maybe you should go back to Dick and Jane stories.

26thNC26thNCabout 5 years ago
Good story

I think that I understand what you were saying. Enjoyed your story.

chytownchytownabout 5 years ago
Great Story Telling*****

Thanks for sharing.

BillandKateBillandKateover 4 years ago
Great and to the Point

A great story about being reminded of what's important and acting on it.

Every now and then we find an author here on LW that we've missed before. This was a 5 star treat and we look forward to reading more of your works.

Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
How Could Anyone

Not get the point of this, a very good flash story about love and love lost from three points of view in one page. Signed: BTW

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Others saw something I didn't. Went?

Cheating husband and? He called wife and said Love. But reason why didn't ring.

Trouble with marriage and communication. If so then why did she not tell you she would leave for hospital as soon as she knew which one.?

More trouble?

jtwheels

SeaChangerSeaChangerover 1 year ago

Outstanding subtlety and empathy.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Good story. Very subtle. Mike isn't a cheater. UT he is worried about his marriage. There can be multiple interpretations of hoe bad things ahead gotten. Due to his phone interactions, sounds more like he has let things go stale, and maybe this his wife is feeling alone as well, just like Sally felt alone for months prior to discovery. This should be rated higher.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Pain in his heart? Did he have a Heart attack?

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous