Flashes in the Dark - Rebecca

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The sentence hung in the quiet. Heather threw the burnt fag out of her window before looking straight at the cloudless night.

"It's too late for me. I don't even feel it any more," the lawyer said in an unwavering voice. "I've reached a point where I can bury it and move on."

"Do you keep convincing yourself that?"

"Yes."

"The day I see a patient who is going to die in front of me and not feel a thing is the day I turn in my papers and walk out the door," said Rebecca with conviction.

"Don't let that day come for you any sooner than it has to. Please, go and do it."

They turned to look at each other once more. Heather leaned over and planted a tender kiss on the doctor's lips. Their tongues brushed each other slowly, saying a parting farewell.

"Do you want me to wait until you're inside?"

"No," said Rebecca. "I need to do this alone."

Heather nodded in understanding and clutched her hand one last time.

"You take care, Rebecca. Let me know when Perry can make it to the fireworks display."

With a final peck on the lips, the doctor got out of the car. Heather sped away, leaving her all alone. She made her way to the doorway and rang the bell once. A lump caught in her throat at the thought of what she had to do next, but she was more resolute than ever to do it.

The wait was painful, feeling like a small eternity to her before she heard the patter of footsteps approaching the door. She composed herself and took a deep breath as it opened.

"Hi, aunt Becky!"

"Hi there, Annie," she said dropping to her knees and engulfing the tiny form of her niece in a hug. "I haven't seen you in so long. You've grown so much."

"I'm in second grade now," she giggled.

"That's amazing," Rebecca said, planting a kiss on her forehead. "Is your Dad home?"

"Annie, who is it?"

Rebecca got up in time to see her brother make an appearance in the hallway. His looked stunned to see her.

"Annie, help your mother lay the table for dinner, will you?" he said, sending his daughter prancing back down the hall. Rebecca watched her tiny form longingly. Her brother walked to the door and leaned against the frame.

"Becky? This is a surprise."

"It is, Jeff. How've you been? How's Alice?"

"We're good. How have you been?"

She pursed her lips, unsure how to answer. Jeff looked at her curiously for a few seconds before she spoke up.

"Jeff, I'm really sorry for what happened all those years ago. If I could, I would take it all back. But we need to get past that. I need you, Alice and Annie in my life. You're all the family I have left. It's really lonely without all of you."

He looked at her, then back at the room where he heard the laughter of his wife and daughter. Tears welled up in Rebecca's eyes with every passing moment of indecision. Finally, he stood aside and ushered her in. She wrapped her arms around him in a tight hug.

"I've missed you so much, Jeff. You have no idea."

"I've missed you too, Becky," he said into her shoulder. "Come in. It's cold outside."

They held hands as they walked down the hall.

"Just so I know, what prompted you to suddenly show up at my doorstep so late in the night?"

"A friend."

"Must be a good friend."

*****

If you want to read more stories centred around Heather Franklin, try "How To Catch A Falling Star", "The Day The Music Died", "Moira" and "Edge of Reason".