Freedom Comes at a Price Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

***

November 6, 1950

My dearest Beth,

The landscape here is ever-changing yet it always remains the same. Trees are stripped bare by explosions, hillsides are completely cleaned of foliage and pitted by bomb blasts, but whichever way you look you are surrounded by ranges and mountains. Though it would be a stretch to call it beautiful in this state, I can imagine it was once a stunning sight.

The weather is becoming cold now, my love. Frost blankets the ground most mornings and by evening we are all wrapped in everything we carry to protect ourselves from the frigid night. We are not permitted to light fires, should they alert the enemy to our location, but we huddle together to preserve our body temperature.

I miss you, Beth. I carry your lock of hair in my breast pocket. I am never without it for I know it will protect and guide me. Some of my brothers carry a picture of Saint Michael to protect them. I carry a piece of you.

I sadly report that my services have been in dire need over these past months. What I see and do every day, my love, I do not wish upon anyone. Knowing you are safe and warm in your bed every night brings me more comfort than you could ever realize.

I will write you again at the soonest opportunity. Until then, my darling.

Daniel.

***

Beth placed the letter on the table and held her head in her hands. Silent tears dropped on to the polished wood surface and she smudged at them with the tip of her index finger. Her father entered the room and she hurriedly folded the stained sheet of paper and tucked it in to her hand.

"Not again, Elizabeth," he said, exasperated. "That must be the hundredth time you've read that damned letter today."

"One hundred and seventh, actually," she replied, standing up and pushing her chair under the table. She dashed the back of her hand across the tears on her cheeks.

Her father sighed loudly. "For what it is worth, General Moore assured me their location is very safe."

Beth faced her father and squared her shoulders. "Whose location?" she asked slowly.

Her father looked sheepish and cleared his throat.

"Whose location?" she asked more forcefully.

"The 15th Medical Battalion," he said quickly, not able to look Beth in the eye.

"The 15th-" she said, a lump rising in her throat. "Daniel's battalion."

"Yes, I believe Captain Wright is assigned to that battalion."

Beth pressed the heels of her palms to her temples and squeezed her eyes shut, unable to comprehend what she was hearing.

"Please, Daddy. Please tell me you had nothing to do with Daniel being called up for the war."

A deep red bloom spread across her father's cheeks and throat. He couldn't look his daughter in the eye. "It is an honor to represent your country. He should feel proud of his part in the war efforts."

"I can't believe what I'm hearing right now," Beth said, grasping the back of a chair to steady herself.

"Freedom comes at a price, my dear," her father said patriotically.

"And the price you paid was with the life of the man I love?" she asked, looking her father square in the eyes. "He is not an enlisted soldier! He was an Army Reserve Medic! He already did his time on the islands in the South Pacific! He took up a gun and served his country. And now you've done your part by bravely taking up a pen and suggesting to your old college buddy, General Moore, that he take the man who loves me, the man who saved my life - twice! - back in to the pits of hell?"

Her father averted his eyes.

"Look at me, Daddy," she said, anger and outrage in her voice. Her father turned and faced her. "If he dies, I will blame you. Not the war, not the Koreans. You."

"I did what I needed to do, Elizabeth. You are my daughter-" he said weakly before Beth cut him off.

"No. Don't you dare call me that. I am not your daughter. Not anymore."

***

"Thank you so much for arranging my room," Beth said to Mary as she followed her through the halls of the boarding house, a suitcase in each hand. "I didn't know whom else to call."

Mary smiled over her shoulder at her colleague. "It's no problem at all. This will be your room," she said, stopping at an open door and gesturing inside. "I'm two doors down in room 17."

Beth entered the room, placed her suitcases on the floor, and looked around. The room was bare and clean, and the bed looked worn but comfortable. "Thank you, Mary," she said, turning to the young woman. Mary smiled and left, pulling the door closed behind her.

***

February 3, 1951.

My beloved Daniel,

I cannot begin to explain what has happened since I received your letter just last week, but please, from now on, send your letters to the address I have written at the top of this page.

My life is meaningless without you in it. I work overtime each day to help pass the time, for all that is waiting for me at home is a cold supper and an empty bed.

I miss you. I miss you. I miss you. I think of you every minute during the day and dream of you every night. How I wish I could wrap you in my arms, kiss you, and hold you.

As a belated Christmas gift I have enclosed a photograph of me, taken at the New Year. I hope I am as you recall.

Keep yourself safe for me, my love. Come back to me.

Forever yours,

Beth.

***

"Woah, Doc! Is that your girl?" a young private exclaimed, swiping at the photograph to get a closer look. Daniel whipped it out of his grasp at the last second.

"That, Private, is my woman," he emphasized.

"No wonder you're always fondling that lock of hair," the young man laughed. "You're a lucky man, Doc."

Daniel smiled and patted his breast pocket, a habit of his. He flipped a crate upside down and sat upon it, his elbows on his knees. He held the black and white photograph between his thumbs and index fingers. His smile faded and his heart felt heavy. In the photo she was laughing, the wind was blowing her hair and she was struggling to keep it out of her face. She wore a coat and woolen gloves.

Going by the date at the top of the page it had taken three months for her letter to reach him. Back home the weather would be warming up and the bluebells would be almost in bloom.

"God, I miss her," he whispered to himself. Tears pricked his eyes and he cleared his throat.

The young private walked over to Daniel. "Tell me about her," he said, noticing the Captain's sadness. He crouched down next to him and waited patiently.

Daniel pressed his thumb and index finger to the bridge of his nose and breathed deeply. "Where do I begin?" he asked rhetorically.

"She is warm. She is kind. She is so fucking beautiful," he said, expelling out a loud sigh. "She is braver and stronger than anyone I've ever met. If you knew what she has been through, Private, you would be shocked. Ten of her could replace hundreds of men and win this war effortlessly."

"She sounds like an amazing woman," the young man acknowledged, glancing across at the photograph. "I can see why the hair is so significant for you," he grinned.

"Oh, God, her hair!" Daniel groaned loudly, clutching at the pocket of his dirty, worn uniform. The two men roared with laughter as Beth smiled on, her long, blond curls weightless, lifted and wild in the wind.

***

Beth linked her arm through Mary's as they walked towards the club. Her nerves were getting the better of her and she had already attempted an excuse to turn back but Mary had pushed forwards.

"It has been eight months since you heard from him," Mary had reasoned with her. "You cannot sit around and wait for him forever. You're young, Beth! Get out and enjoy the world."

The young ladies turned in to a doorway and walked quickly down a flight of stairs. The music and warmth enveloped them as they hit the landing and they were quickly swept up by the atmosphere. Writhing bodies moved to the new wave of rock n roll music that was sweeping the nation and Beth couldn't resist joining the throngs of people on the dance floor.

Her nerves melted away and she gave in to the electric sounds that surrounded her. She saw Mary close by and gave her a wide, joyous smile. She felt the tension and fears fall away as she danced, her arms above her head, her hands in her hair.

With her eyes closed she swayed, entranced by the music. She felt a body press against her and she opened her eyes; Vibrant lights of blue, green, and red highlighted a handsome man, tall and dark. Lost in the moment, she pressed up against the man who responded by threading his arms around her waist as they danced together.

She reveled in the feeling of being close to a man once more. His strong arms and broad shoulders reminded her of days gone by. The man's hips moved closer to her and he rubbed himself up against her, his hard, long erection pressing against her stomach. Beth smiled and placed her hands on his firm chest and looked up at him.

He smiled down at her, his face lit up by the lights spinning around them. Beth recoiled suddenly, pushing him away from her. She stumbled backwards, shaking her head, remembering where she was. Mary spotted her demeanor change and rushed to her side.

"Beth! Are you okay?" she called over the loud music, wrapping an arm around her friend's shoulders.

Beth looked at her, bewildered and devastated. "I can't do this, Mary. I'm so sorry."

Mary led her to the side of the dance floor. "Should I get you some water?" she offered.

"No, Mary. No. I need to get out of here." Beth turned for the door. "Please, stay. Enjoy your night. Thank you, Mary." She took her friend's hands and brought them to her lips. "You are a good friend. But what I've learned here, now, is that this just isn't me. I can't do this anymore. I'll be out of the boarding house by tomorrow."

Mary looked stunned by the sudden turn of events. "But where will you go?" she asked. "Your parents won't take you back."

Beth shook her head. "I'm not going back to them. I'm going to the only place where I feel safe."

***

Daniel adjusted the medical bag on his shoulder and hoisted his pack on to his back once more. He could see his farm in the distance and he had stopped momentarily to collect his thoughts before he trudged on.

The sky was powder blue and fluffy white clouds were scattered sparsely across the wide expanse. Yellow birch trees lined his path as he walked up the dusty lane to the weather-beaten homestead. He dropped his pack as he reached the boundary of the yard and continued towards the door of his home without the cumbersome load.

As he reached the bottom step of the porch he was stopped by the sound of singing. His ears searched for the sound and he turned left, walking slowly around the perimeter of the building. He spotted a woman in a wide brimmed straw hat, her back to him, on her knees in the vegetable garden. His heart started to pound, thundering in his chest. The woman was wearing a pale blue sun dress.

As if she sensed him there, she turned and looked over her shoulder. She paused, her dark eyes searching his face. She brought her dusty fingertips to her mouth and sobbed once before springing up off the ground and racing towards him. As she ran the wind caught her hat, pulling it from her head. Long coils of golden hair fell and danced as she crossed the grass, barefoot, and leaped in to his arms, wrapping her arms around his neck.

Daniel caught Beth and held her to him, kissing her passionately. He cupped her ass in his hands and squeezed hard, groaning in to her mouth. Beth tore the cap off his head, flung it to the ground, and thrust her hands in to his hair, pulling his tear stained face in to hers.

They broke their kiss and looked at each other, laughing. Daniel lowered her to the ground and embraced her. She pressed her cheek against the faded green uniform, her arms tight around his waist.

"What are you doing here?" he asked gently, tilting her head up with his finger under her chin.

"You never received my letters?" she asked, scanning his face. She rubbed her fingertips through his thick beard.

"And you never received mine?" he answered with his own question. She shook her head. He smiled warmly. "None of that matters now."

She grinned and pressed her face in to his shirt once more. "None of that matters now," she agreed.

"Where is my father? Little Jamie?" he asked quietly.

"Not so little anymore," she said, smiling up at him. "You'll be so surprised when you see him. They've gone to town. They will be back in time for supper."

Taking him by the hand, Beth led him away from the house. He followed her without question, his eyes focused on the sway of her hips which were rounder and fuller than when he had last seen her. The dress he had bought for her hugged her curves and her small calves and lean arms were a warm caramel color, kissed by the sun.

Following a well tread path through the field, Beth smiled over her shoulder at him as they walked to a small rise. Beyond it was a small creek. He smiled back, knowing exactly where she was taking him, and followed her to a willow overhanging the bank.

"My special spot," she whispered when they were under the shade of the hanging branches.

She reached up and unbuttoned his shirt, tugging it off his arms and tossing it to the ground. His pants, footwear, and underwear followed quickly, and she lifted the hem of her dress and pulled it up and over her head. Daniel crouched down and helped her to step out of her cotton panties. As he stood his hands slid slowly up the curve of her hips. He groaned in appreciation of the sight before him.

"I'm filthy," he whispered, his lips grazing her ear.

"You're perfect," she smiled, kissing him sweetly.

He sat, his back against the trunk of the old tree, and pulled her on to his lap. She straddled him, her damp pussy against his hard, thick cock. Her breasts were pressed against his chest and he threaded his hands in to her hair, pulling firmly. Beth moaned loudly and he placed his open mouth against hers.

Beth raised up on her knees and reached behind her. She took hold of his cock and positioned the tip at the threshold of her opening before lowering herself upon him, impaling herself. They groaned in unison as she eased herself slowly over his length. He grabbed her waist firmly and pulled her down, circling his hips under her.

She gasped, opening her mouth to his once more. He held her tightly to him as he rolled on to his knees and lay her on the soft grass, his cock still deep inside her. He thrust eagerly within her, bracing himself above her on his strong, tanned arms. She held tightly to his hard biceps as he rocked in and out of her, looking down at her beautiful face, lightly freckled and glowing.

Beth wept silently, tears escaping the outer corners of her eyes and leaving wet trails down her temples.

"Am I hurting you?" he asked, slowing his movements.

"No, no!" she gasped, digging her fingers in to his ass cheeks and pulling him to her. "No, don't stop. These aren't tears of pain, my love. They're tears of happiness."

He lowered his mouth and kissed her eyelids, her salty tears upon his lips. He thrust deeply in to her, increasing his pace until they were fucking furiously; The pain of their separation and lost time gripping their hearts. She cried out as her orgasm took hold of her; Her back arching off the cool, damp ground. She writhed beneath him, grasping at his flesh.

Her spasming, dripping pussy sent him in to a spin and he came hard, releasing all the pent-up lust and desire he had felt for her since their last meeting almost three years prior. Thick, sticky ropes of cum shot out of him, coating her insides. He continued to thrust as the hot liquid spilled from her, and he grunted and shuddered as his last drop was spent, collapsing on top of her.

As the great willow rustled around them and the gentle creek trickled over the smooth, worn stones, they found their peace. Their separate pasts were broken and deafeningly sad, but their shared future was still promisingly unwritten.