All Comments on 'Games of Elfkind Ch. 01'

by Wild_Abandon

Sort by:
  • 1 Comment
Aidan BlackthornAidan Blackthornabout 10 years ago
Use of 'thou'

It looks like a good start to a series, but really, the misuse of the Early Modern English familiar second person singular (thou, thee, thy) is very distracting.

First of all, thou is used for the subject of the sentence and thee is used as the object of a sentence. A good way to figure this out is try replacing thou with 'he/him'. In places where you'd use 'he' use 'thou', in places where you'd use 'him', use 'thee'.

Secondly, verbs are conjugated differently with thou. I am, thou art, he is. I can, thou canst, he can. I do, thou dost, he doth. I will, thou wilt, he will. etc. Regular verbs usually take 'st' as the end with thou. Also, if you're using this form, you shoud use the 'th' ending for third person (I make, thou makest, he maketh).

Finally, use of this form is similar to using the German 'du' or the French 'tu'. It is a familiar for, used for family, very close friends, or addressing Deity. This mage would not use it when addressing a noble, it's incredibly disrespectful.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous