All Comments on 'Gaming: D&D Pt. 01'

by AspernEssling

Sort by:
  • 10 Comments
jwbailey00jwbailey00over 6 years ago
Gap?

Is there a 2 year gap in this chapter? In the beginning of the chapter it said cheery stuff for a 16 year old and then he's having his 18th birthday.

Master_LokiMaster_Lokiover 6 years ago

Great start. I love your writing. Excited to see where it goes from here...

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Oh. This familiar state of existence

...when i check for new chapter of your ongoing story 3-4 times per day.

AspernEsslingAspernEsslingover 6 years agoAuthor
Anonymous existence

Thanks! That's a wonderful compliment.

Part 2 has been submitted, and I am editing Part 3. (Part 4 has been written, too, but I may make some changes)

Kojak01Kojak01over 6 years ago
Great

Great Story so far, great writing style. You may want to tell somebody that the chapters are not posted as part of the same story, though.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Just Picking Through Your Older Work

Interesting spin with the dream sub-plot. I enjoyed it and I like your writing style.

Thanks

UsuallyPresentUsuallyPresentover 4 years ago

Awesome use of healing magics - clever!

Love the character growth throughout and the foreshadowing - you write well! Thanks for sharing!

notbatmannotbatmanalmost 3 years ago

This is really great, I just wish it was all part of a series so I could easily navigate to the next chapter.

SouthernCrossfireSouthernCrossfireover 1 year ago

Hi, AspernEssling,

So glad to have found run across this series when I noticed one of your works. I was a big AD&D player in college and grad school and ran my campaign for a number of years before a new location and new love led me to move on from it. You really nailed the gaming aspects and did a great job establishing the characters, and throwing in Fritz Leiber and F&tGM was a special treat since I love those books and the characters. I'm glad to see this series appears to be complete and am looking forward to seeing where you took it. Thanks for writing and sharing.

SC

Dreamdog519Dreamdog519about 1 year ago

Good story but some wrong details. I know this is a fantasy, and they are playing a fantasy game,, but people should know the truth. A bowman in the middle ages was anything but small and weak. We have Tolkien to thank for that idea he was passing a target archery class one day and saw them drawing a 20 to 30 pound target bow and wrongly concluded even someone small could be an archer.

A longbow used for war was between 150 and 200 pounds of draw weight. A competent archer could put between 12 and 15 arrows a minute in the air for over an hour. They would also have a short sword (if they could afford one) a long knife (like a dagger for stabbing through weak points in armor) or ax for when it came down to hand to hand which it would.

A knight or a rich barbarian (swords were very expensive) would have long endurance muscles to be able to fight for long periods of time. There are stories of one French nobleman who would run over a mile in full armor (usually around 60 pounds) rain or shine every morning before breakfast. After breakfast, he would practice with a sword for several hours.

These people trained for war. Especially in England. Just thought you should know.

Otherwise great story.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userAspernEssling@AspernEssling
Still writing. More to come. For those who are interested: you may have noticed that I mention music fairly often. That's because I tend to listen to music while I write, so that certain artists/albums become associated with certain stories. Here are some of the connections. G...