Go to Guy and Dolls

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Lost Boy
Lost Boy
5,799 Followers

"Is it platinum?" I asked as Yvonne raced over to look at the ring. Cassidy looked at the ring and nodded. "That must be what I saw in the dream."

Yvonne grabbed my hand and looked over the ring more closely. When she asked where I found it, I told her it had been washed up in the mud by the flood waters. She listed off a bunch of words or names and finally settled upon Etruscan. The ring was definitely of Etruscan origin. When I asked her how she could possibly know that, she informed me that she was in fact the assistant curator of the St. Louis History Museum.

"I guess you would know then," I said and she laughed.

"The funny thing is that the Etruscans never used platinum." Yvonne said squinting at the ring again. "I take it back that is not platinum... oh my god it's iridium! It has to be. That is so strange. Their jewelry and important artifacts were always fashioned of gold or silver. The totem animals are also quite unusual. The dragon appears to be of oriental style. The phoenix is of Arabic design. The Ouroboros, the serpent eating its own tail, comes from the Greeks. The fourth animal is unknown to me but the last one appears to be a peacock and that is strictly a Christian image. But they all have one thing in common, immortality."

"What are the stones?" I asked and she smiled.

"Oh those, those would be diamonds Marius. I would guess by their color and clarity that they are of the finest quality. You have a king's ransom on your finger."

"Is this the part where you ask me to donate it to the museum?" I said and she blushed.

"Am I that transparent?" Yvonne said. "It would be a singular unique piece that would draw the attention of the finest minds in the field. The real question is this, where the hell did it come from?"

"Upstream," Cassidy said and we looked up the hill.

"Is there anything up there that would hold something like this?" I asked and it was Yvonne that nodded.

"Old Man Garibaldi," she said with a shiver. "He is our local celebrity. His mob ties are legendary."

"Would you like some coffee," I asked Yvonne and Cassidy smiled behind her hand.

"I would love some coffee," she replied.

Ten minutes later we were all sitting down in the living room. I was between Yvonne on my left side and Cassidy on my right. We watched a weather report and it looked like I would be here for a while yet. The rain would be spottier the next forty eight hours but rebuilding the main road was impossible until the river crested. I could leave by boat but I couldn't do that and leave Cassidy here. I called mom and told her I would be staying for at least another four days.

I sipped my coffee and stole sideways glances at the attractive older woman. She was of average height, about five foot six and in great physical shape. I wondered what she did to keep that lovely figure of hers. She had long black hair with a sing stripe of silver hair originating at the crown of her widow's peak and ending just above her right ear. Her eyes were the color sapphires while her small full mouth was painted a subdued pink.

I guessed her nationality at either Italian or Greek. Her skin tone leaned more towards Greek with the olive complexion and certain facial characteristics. I guessed that her breasts were at least as large as Cassidy's if not a little fuller.

"It is impolite to stare," Yvonne whispered.

"You or me," I said in rebuttal. "I will admit I was checking you out, but you only had eyes for this." I held up the iridium ring.

"You are right," she said frowning. "I've just never seen anything like it before."

"We are even then," I said and she smiled as she nodded. "I hate this damn rain."

We watched a bit more news before I moved to the front porch and stared at the perpetual grayness that was the sleepy little town of Belleridge. The volunteers kept up their work as the inevitable seemed destined. The rain would fall. The river would crest. Cousin Cassidy would lose her lovely home. The anger rose out of frustration. Seventy two hours he had given to stem the tide and still it wasn't enough.

The peal of thunder was deafening. I had two women clinging to me as I flipped off the storm. The lightning bolt fell like the wrath of god. My world went white. I clamped my eyes closed as tight as I could. Another roar of thunder seconds later and I screamed in defiance.

"Fuck you too," I howled.

The world darkened and I opened eyes that saw only spots for a long time. When at last my vision cleared what I saw made no sense. I stared at the newly formed whirlpool and scratched my head. I knew that the entire Missouri basin was littered with caves. What were the odds that a lightning bolt would open one up and save the town? The street was split wide open and the torrent from the river was drawn into it and I knew that we would be okay. Cassidy and Yvonne as well as many others would keep their homes.

"I'll be damned," I said and began to laugh.

"It must be the old Whitacre Mine," Yvonne offered. "It's been closed for nearly a century."

"Why is that," I asked even as she pointed to the steam pouring out of the whirlpool.

"Anthracite coal," Yvonne continued. "There are miles of caves below. A hundred years ago a fire broke out and ignited the coal. It never reached the town but it is still burning after all these years. The flood waters must be filtering down to the fire below."

She left and walked over to her home, looking over at the whirlpool of filthy water and saw how what had once threatened the town may put it back on the map. If the coal fire was put out by the flood waters then mining might resume again in their poor little town. The boom to the economy would be nothing short of a godsend. I looked at Cassidy who still clung to my arm.

"Was it a miracle," she asked and I shrugged.

"I don't know," I said. "Wanna fuck?"

"Yeah, I'll race you to the bedroom."

I closed and locked the door giving her a huge head start. I poured two more cups of coffee and delivered them upstairs where I found a naked Cassidy eager for a long day of leisurely love play. Damn, I had three more days of this at least! Whatever would I do?

Carnal Shadows: Part Two

Five days I spent in that carnal house near the hill. Cassidy and I must have tried out every position we could squeeze into and a few that left Charlie horses and leg cramps. I am not complaining just stating a few facts. I left on a Thursday after what must have been the most rousing farewell I ever experienced before or since. I had no doubt that cousin Cassidy would miss me and I would miss her.

The road was repaired but we still went single file and only a few cars at a time. Once I reached the highway the sight of open sky and faint clouds was a very welcome sight. The flood was over for me and I was back to my normal life. My boss understood and had kept my job waiting for me, the college however, not so much. After a week of missing classes and assignments they couldn't guarantee a passing grade. I would just have to work all the harder to prove them wrong.

The drive home normally would have taken two hours, but with the road conditions and traffic it was closer to three. While I had enjoyed my time away, I missed sleeping in my own bed. At long last I pulled up into the driveway and parked next to the house. I stepped out and I noticed a few cars on the street that look familiar. Sunday was usually the day for all of us getting together, but I had been gone for over a week. All I had to show for it was some new clothes and one hell of a smile.

I unlocked the front door and they were waiting to ambush me the moment I stepped in. It turned into a sort of puppy pile on mom's favorite rug. During the pile up I felt one hand on each ass cheek and a daring hand moving towards my junk. I was in the middle so I had to wait for mom to call an end to the pile up. She did so eventually and with much reluctance I should add. I believe it was her hand slithering its way to my groin.

This was an official welcome home party, or so I thought by the balloons, cake and presents. It wasn't my birthday was it? No, that was months off and besides I was too old for presents for my birthday. What the hell was this then? I was seated at the head of the table and cut the cake with a feeling like a shoe was about to drop, a real big one. I handed out pieces of cake and waited. I could see it on my mother's face; she was hiding something, something big.

"Open your presents Marius," mom said handing me a small wrapped box. I reached for it and her eyes settled onto the ring now adorning my left hand. "Where did you get that?"

"I found it in the mud," I said as I unwrapped the gift. "Strangest thing really, I was sleepwalking when I did it. The flood waters must have washed it up or down from somewhere old and abandoned."

"Why do you say that," Karla asked looking at the ring more closely along with the others.

"Cassidy's neighbor told me it might be Etruscan, whatever the hell that is." I said as I lifted the small lid of the small box. "Keys, these look like house keys."

"They are," Mom said proudly. "They are the keys to your new apartment."

"Apartment, how the heck am I supposed to afford an apartment, much less the security deposit or first month's rent?"

"Mom, Karla and I decided to pitch in and cover the costs," Samantha said smiling brilliantly. "We all decided it was time you had a place of your own."

"I don't know what to say. Thank you. I guess I'll go and pack..." I began but they were all shaking their heads. "My stuff is already over there isn't it? Wow... you really wanted me out of here huh."

"We wanted you to have your own space," Sam continued. "This is a good thing. Why don't we let you finish opening your house warming gifts and then we'll all drive over and see your new place. I know you're going to like it. We've been hunting for just the right place for months now."

"So this has been in the works for a while now. Okay, let's see what else I've got here."

I got a remote control that I learned went to a new big screen T.V., as well as more practical things like laundry soap, pillow cases and cotton sheets. Once the cake was eaten and the gifts had been opened, it was decided that we all go see my new place. We piled into Karla's Range Rover and headed out. I actually fell asleep on the way over. I was just that exhausted.

"We're here," Tabitha said shaking me lightly.

I opened my eyes and looked around. The neighborhood looked nice. We piled out and mom asked for my keys and directed me to a two family flat. I apparently had the downstairs half of the place. It was freaking huge! There entire place was furnished. It had two bedrooms but one had been converted into an office. It also had a basement I shared with the owner and landlord. That's where the storage and washer and dryer were located. I walked around and saw some of my belongings here and there. The bedroom was the biggest shocker.

"A queen sized bed," I said. "That's pretty damn big for just me."

"You won't always be sleeping alone," Samantha chimed in with a wicked smile.

"That's true," I said smiled despite myself.

"The fridge is stocked as is the cabinets and drawers." Mom said quite proud of how inexpensively they had gotten me plates, glasses and utensils. She would never use the word cheap under any circumstances. The doorbell rang and we all looked at each other. I walked over and opened the door. The guy standing at the door was wearing light blue coveralls with the local cable company logo on his left breast and his name on the right.

"Hello Fred, what can I do for you?" I asked.

"I'm here to hook up your services," he said. "I got you for cable, internet and phone."

I let him in and Fred headed for the living room where the television was and began his work. We all settled into the dining room. I had a living room and a dining room. Did I mention that this place was huge? I told them all about the flood, the sand bagging and the queer lightning strike that saved the town. Conversation turned to the ring and I let each of them take a good look at it.

"What are those clear round stones," Tabitha asked.

"I don't know," I told her.

"Could they be diamonds," Samantha asked and I shrugged.

"One easy way to find out," mom said. "Give me a second."

She left and returned with a water glass. Mom handed it to me and told me to press one of the stones against the glass and see if it cuts. If it does it's a diamond. I pressed the ring to the glass and twisted it counterclockwise. It left an easily discernable line across the glass's surface. The stones were in fact diamonds. That sent the girls into a kind of frenetic conversation trying to figure out how large each jewel was.

"They look to be half a karat each. But color and clarity are also important." Mom said squinting. "I don't see any flaws and that means they are worth quite a bit. I know a guy who can give you an estimate on how much to insure it for."

"Does he work on Saturdays?" I asked and she nodded. "Good, let's see what he says before I make my decision."

I told them about Yvonne and her desire to acquire the ring for the museum. The cable guy finished his work in record time and I thanked him and walked him out. Mom called 'her guy' and he was anxious to see the ring. Once more we piled into the Range Rover and went uptown to a much nicer part of town. The jewelry shop handled high end customers and high end product. The owner and proprietor was Herman Rommel, a short man of diminutive dimensions but possessing a hawk like gaze that showed a very attentive intelligence. He kissed mom on her cheeks and shook my hand.

"May I see the ring," he said rolling his R in a way that hinted that English was his second language.

"It won't come off," I said as I tugged on it.

"No problem, I can get a good look at it while you wear it." He said as he brought his jeweler's eye piece up to his right eye. " Hmmm... oh yes... very interesting... the diamonds came from one larger stone, yes... yes, I believe your friend is correct, it is iridium and appears to be of very high quality but I would have to test it to be sure. The totem animals are quite unique. Etruscan you say... yes quite right. The cut of the stones and artwork are quite ancient. If it is a fake it is a very expensive fake. Based on materials alone I would give you five thousand. However, given its antiquity I would offer no less than one hundred thousand for it. It is definitely a museum piece."

"Wow and to think I found it in the mud," I said and the old man almost fainted. The color drained from his face and Tabitha kept him from falling from his seat.

"Did you say that you found this in the mud?" Herman asked.

"I was sandbagging up north and found it at night after a weird dream," I said and he just shook his head.

"The luck of the young," he chuckled. "If you choose to sell it I would have no problem finding a buyer. I would insure it for fifty thousand at least. When you can remove it and wish me to test the quality of the iridium I would happy to do so."

"Thanks Mr. Rommel," I said.

We returned to my apartment and I wondered what I should do. If I sold it I could pay my family back and have plenty to live off of for a long while. I really didn't like the thought of selling it though. Mom saw that look and smiled.

"Don't... I can see that you are already attached to it. We want to help you out. You don't need to feel guilty about keeping the ring."

I hugged her and we celebrated my first night in my apartment. We broke out supplies from the kitchen and turned on the sound system. I plugged in my smart phone and soon the sweet sounds of classic rock and smooth jazz filled the air. Mom and Karla disappeared for about half an hour and returned with Karla driving my car. They carried in my house warming gifts as well as a single bottle of champagne. Mom opened the bubbly and poured a single glass for everyone. We toasted good times and great new memories in my own special place.

Mom gathered up my sisters around nine o'clock and we called it an evening. I walked them to the Range Rover and kissed each on the cheek. They drove off and here I was, alone, in my own freaking apartment! I closed the front door and locked up. I did the dishes and plopped down on my couch in front of my television. I fell asleep on the couch but woke up when someone kicked the front door in. I opened my eyes and saw the gunman silhouetted by the street light. I clearly saw the rather large pistol in his fist.

"Give me the goddamn ring," he ordered and I recognized the voice instantly. It was the cable installation guy. "I said, get the fuck up and give me the goddamned ring!" He cocked the gun but I barely heard it over the pounding of my heart in my ears.

"I'll try but it's been stuck since I put the damned thing on," I said getting to my feet. I tugged at the ring but it refused to budge. "It won't come off!" The gun spoke in the darkness.

I saw the muzzle flash and felt my head snap back as I crumpled to the floor. My body stiffened and my hands clenched into fists. The thief raced over and cursed as he tried to open my fingers so he could remove the ring. He tucked the gun into his waistband and used both hands now. I could hear my heart slowing. My right hand moved on its own accord. My fingers gently wrapped around his throat. What happened next is still a blur. The five stones on the ring lit up with a clear white light. The thief tried to cry out but failed. The radiance once clear as starlight was now ruddy like flawless rubies and I could see his face lit by the hell fire.

I felt his life pass into me. I felt all sixty years that he was allotted pour into my body and heal me of any and all damage. Whether it was old or new the ring didn't care. I took a sudden intake of precious air and sat up. The thief was gone as was the light from the ring. Had I hallucinated it all? I looked around and saw the pile of ash and the 9mm pistol amidst the burnt remains of the thief and his clothing. I took off my shirt and picked up the pistol by the barrel. I set it on one of the corner tables. I swept up his remains and flushed him down the toilet. It seemed fitting somehow.

I threw water on my face just as the police arrived. I looked at my reflection but there was no sign of the bullet or where it pierced my flesh. The police made entry and found me coming out of the bathroom. I told them that the thief had fired his weapon and then spooked he ran off leaving the weapon behind. No, I don't know what scared him off but the weapon was on the coffee table. I told them that I had used my shirt and picked it up by the barrel. Did I know the thief? Yes, he was the cable installation guy from earlier on today. Yes I wanted to press charges.

They collected my statement and the weapon and left me to sit and cry once they had left. I wept and shook after the impact of how close I had come to dying. I looked at the ring and the five totem animals upon its surface. One was a phoenix. Did this ring pass on some form of immortality? Did it steal the life of enemies and feed it to me? The impossible crashed into me and another round of tears spilled from my eyes. I was alive! That was all that mattered. I called mom and told her what had happened. She was on her way with Tabitha in tow. I called work and told them as well and took the day off. My boss told me to take the long weekend to recuperate.

Ten minutes later my mom and Tabitha arrived. I was still shaking. Mom noticed the remains of the ash on the living room floor. She actually squatted down and ran a finger through it. She rubbed her fingers together and sniffed it.

"What the hell happened Marius?"

"It was the cable guy," I managed. "He overheard our discussion about the ring. He came back for it."

Lost Boy
Lost Boy
5,799 Followers