Gods and Crowbars Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I looked at Joanne and Jerome to see if they had questions, but they said nothing, so I said "So Coach, when they built the baseball field, did they do any digging, or raze the surface to level it?"

"They plowed up the ground some, then laid down a soil base that would drain water better. Then they built up from that. There's extensive work done for the pitcher's mound, and some work done on the infield." He explained some of the layering done underneath.

"Well, guys," I said to Jerome and Joanne, "what do you think of that?"

Joanne finally got it. "Nothing buried under the topsoil, sir. As in a weapon."

"No, we didn't find anything, not that I remember." said the coach.

"Okay, thanks Coach." I said. "I'll lock the gate behind us." The coach went back towards the school buildings.

"Okay," I said, "you can see the road that runs off the side of right field, there." I said. "That road was there at the time of the murder."

"It's pretty far off, sir." said Jerome. "And the murder was done fairly close to the football stadium."

"That patch of pine trees behind the fieldhouses was there at the time of the murder, too." I said. "There used to be some trails through there, and homeless people camped out in there until Chief Griswold sent the Police in to clean up that trash. Too close to the School for his comfort."

"Anyway, you can imagine when this was an empty field." I continued. The football stadium lights were on, giving some illumination to the area, but from the endzone, where the tents were, the line of sight is not all that great. So definitely someone could come down here, confront Rutledge, kill him, and go back without being seen."

"Or..." Joanne said, "... come from the road and never have been seen by anyone at the reunion."

Finally, I thought to myself, some brains were being used. Then I caught myself. Have patience, have patience, have patience, I thought to myself.

"There is one question I have not yet heard asked." I said. "And it would be relevant if some outsider came to kill Jason Rutledge here."

"Ohhhh, I see." said Jerome Davis. "How would an outsider be able to lure Jason down to the practice field?"

"By texting him?" Joanne asked. "Oh, wait... the Police report said his cellphone was in his car, charging up. So he couldn't have gotten a message on it."

"Ahhhh!" I said in a falsetto voice, then added in my normal voice: "Now we're getting somewhere."

As Joanne and Jermaine looked around, obviously trying to think about the case, I said "I'm going to go sit down in those stadium bleachers. Take all the time you need looking around."

As I sat in the football stadium bleachers, I remembered the football game between County High and Booker T. Washington High, and the near disaster that had been. And now, I knew that forces were coming into play that would make that near-riot a small thing by comparison. I let my mind wander over everything, as I had done while in the hospital, and enjoying the sunny weather and the warmth of the beautiful Spring day...

Part 19 - Life Or Death Decision

Wednesday, April 19th. At 3:00pm, the Jury entered the Courtroom. I was sitting up front, right behind Paulina and Jenna, wearing my semi-formal Uniform jacket with ribbons, white shirt and tie (and armor, brace, and girdle) underneath. Sitting beside me was Captain Cindy Ross, and to her other side was Chief Griswold, wearing his ribbon-clad Uniform jacket, as well.

"On the issue of the sentence of the convicted defendant," asked the Judge, "how do you find?"

"We the Jury find that Leonard Sharples should be executed by the State in a lawfully prescribed manner, Your Honor."

The Defense counsel's head sagged, his chin almost on his chest. Jenna and Paulina tried to remain looking solemn, but their eyes were bright with their victory. Leonard 'Sergeant' Sharples face remained unperturbed through it all.

Then he looked over at me. Our eyes locked. He had tried to kill me; he was now going to be the one put to death. But his eyes were completely devoid of emotion.

"Very well." said Judge Folsom. "Leonard Sharples, you are sentenced to be executed by the State. By law, you are allowed to choose the method of your execution within the bounds of the lawful methods. Do you have a choice?"

"I'd prefer to be shot." said Sharples.

"Very well." said the Judge. "You are sentenced to die by firing squad at Jacksonville State Prison on or before August 31st of this year. This Court is adjourned." Folsom banged his gavel, the Bailiff called out "All rise!" and the Judge left. The Jury was led out, and was excused outside.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The Irish Pub, a.k.a. the Cop Bar, was a place of celebration this night, but a strangely subdued one. Fire Chief Quinlin was there, talking with Police Chiefs Moynahan and Griswold, and with Sheriff Department Chief of Staff Charles T. Oswald. I had stopped by their table for a few minutes of discussion, but when Paulina Patterson came in with Tasha, I excused myself and went onto the outside patio deck with them.

Joining us at the back table was Jenna Stiles, Teresa Croyle and Todd Burke. At another table, closer to the front, was Joanne Warner, Jerome Davis, Theo Washington and Teddy Parker.

"You guys did a great job." I said as I held Tasha. "Bettina's 'experts' were saying you wouldn't even get convictions."

"I'm sure if she had her way, we would not have." said Paulina. "But it was actually pretty easy to get a conviction because of the repeating patterns. It was the death penalty I didn't know if we'd get."

"Susie Haskins is the one who did that." said Jenna, a bit quietly. "The Jury was crying as they read those Christmas cards to her from her cousin Scrawny. And she held up so well against Lynch. He's such a fucking bastard."

"No doubt about that." I said.

Just then, three people walked out onto the deck. They were Molly Ross Evans, Cindy Ross, and Callie Carrington.

"Aw, you brought Tasha!" said Molly enthusiastically. "Hey Tasha!" Tasha looked up at Molly and smiled. I'm not sure Tasha's mother was as enthusiastic.

"Everyone, this is my friend Callie." announced Cindy. "Callie, this is ADA Paulina Patterson... and this is State Attorney Jenna Stiles."

"Ah, nice to meet you." said Paulina as I handed Tasha to Molly for a moment. "Welcome back to Town, Callie." She remembered Callie from the Porno Set Mystery case.

"Hello." said Jenna, very simply, shaking hands with Callie.

Callie and Cindy went over to the empty table on the edge of the patio. "I guess I can go join them." said Molly. She handed Tasha back to me and went over to her sister's table.

"When was the last time Tasha saw Molly's boys, Tasha's brothers?" I asked Paulina.

"It's been a while." said Paulina, getting my hint. "I'll bring Tasha to the Cabin this weekend, how's that?"

"Works for me." I said. "And if you want to take a weekend away after all your work on this case, we'll have plenty of babysitters."

"Including us." said Teresa. "We'll bring Doug, little Todd, and Jack."

"And we'll keep Jack and Bowser separated." said Todd. "By the way, is Bowser going to get a medal?"

"I'm working on it." I said. "A K-9 Commendation Medal is assured, but the Chief and I are pushing to get him a Lifesaving Medal."

"No disrespect intended," said Jenna, "but he's a dog. Will he even care about that?"

"Bowser has become a national sensation." I said. "Fox News's national broadcast talked about him, and Fox News Midtown is sending a crew up to the May 1st ceremonies. So Bowser is probably going to want to go hide in a corner and have a bowl of dog food. It's us humans that think it's a big deal."

"Bowser is awesome." said Teresa. "And so is Buddy."

"Yes, yes they are." I said. I noticed that Jenna was trying to not look over at Cindy and Callie, but was looking over that way... and her face showed that it was hitting her that Cindy had moved on.

And to add to it, a moment later Callie came over to our table. "May I hold this beautiful baby for a moment?" she asked Paulina.

"You'll have to take her from her dad." said Paulina as Callie sat down beside me.

"Sure." I said. "Hey Tasha, say hello to Callie." I handed my daughter to Callie, and Tasha seemed to like the beautiful blonde.

"By the way, " said Callie, "you should've seen Cindy with Susie Haskins. Kept her calm, then after Susie was done and was crying, Cindy hugged her and really helped her calm down and feel better. She is really good with kids."

"Cindy takes after her father, for sure." I said.

Jenna turned to me and Teresa and said "Well, I think I'll be going. We did our jobs, but the death penalty is not something I really want to celebrate."

"I understand." I said. "But you did very well getting the convictions, and on behalf of my Police Force, I thank you for that."

"Hear hear." said Teresa. Jenna nodded to us all and went back into the Cop Bar, not saying goodnight to Cindy and Molly.

"Is she okay?" asked Callie, having seen the looks on Jenna's face, but not understanding.

"Jenna was engaged to Cindy before you came along." Teresa said.

"Ohhhhh..." Callie said. "So that's who she is... I didn't realize it."

"Don't sweat it." I said. "It was bound to happen, sooner or later. This Town is not that big."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I went back inside the Cop Bar, and saw that Sheriff Allgood was with the other top Fire and Police Officers. Chief Moynahan waved me over. I first brought a full pitcher of beer, which was immediately poured into several glasses.

"How are you feeling, Don?" asked Daniel Allgood.

"Pretty good, my back is healing up nicely and there's not much pain." I said. "Beer helps, of course." Everyone laughed.

"You did a great job, helping the FBI nail Jerry Morelli." said Deputy Charles Oswald. "The FBI was after him for years."

"They had the wrong guy chasing him." I said. "They put Muscone on it, and now Morelli is in Federal prison."

"Speaking of prison," said Chief Moynahan, "Ferrell is being moved to City Hospital. They say they have more security there while he recovers."

"And that may well be true." I said. "I've been trying for years to beef up security at our University Hospital, ever since my nephew Ned escaped from there twice. But I'm still not satisfied with their progress, or lack of it. As to Ferrell... well, he's now going to learn what it's like to be the one in a wheelchair. Can't say I feel anything about that."

"I'm glad you were actually in Court when that happened." said Sheriff Allgood. "The Press was actually angry when they found out you had an airtight alibi over that."

"Fuck the Press." I said quietly, then quaffed my beer. Another pitcher was brought over, and the mugs refilled.

"I heard some talk," growled Chief Griswold, "that the Bureau of Prisons is looking at converting the medical portion of The Asylum into a prison hospital, so that people like Ferrell can be treated in a secure facility." I knew that the Chief was simply floating a trial balloon on behalf of his friend, the Governor himself.

"I dunno about that, Chief." I said. "I know I would never allow my wife to go in there, for any reason. I'm sure a lot of other doctors won't want to go in there, either."

"That's a thought." said Griswold.

Just then a group of people came in from the patio and surrounded us, particularly me, led by two Angels posing as Police Captains.

"Dr. Fredricson just called." said Cindy. "She mentioned her husband. She mentioned his back. She mentioned early bedtime. She mentioned Angels bringing her husband home."

"You are outnumbered, Crowbar." growled Chief Griswold, his mustaches twitching merrily.

"And under orders from my boss... my real boss." I replied, then stood up slowly. "Have a good evening, gentlemen..."

Part 20 - Cold(er) Case

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded reporterette from the Courthouse complex at 7:00am, Thursday, April 20th. "In a shocking development, convicted murderer and former TCPD Detective Leonard Sharples was sentenced to death by the Jury in his murder trial!"

Bettina went on: "Legal experts are surprised that the Jury reached a unanimous decision to have former Detective Sharples executed by the State, citing the circumstantial nature of the evidence and a general attitude of the Public to move away from State-sanctioned executions. Also, the horrible death of Lance Priemus during the last execution in this State has been cited in cases brought to the Courts to stop all executions in the Nation..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Who are these 'experts' ov vich shee speeeks?" I asked out loud as we drank coffee in MCD.

"That's a real bee in your bonnet, isn't it, sir?" asked Joanne Warner.

"You betcha." I said. "And one day, they'll cross the line by quoting 'anonymous sources' that don't actually exist, and citing memos that they never saw but were read to them over the phone, and then don't seem to exist when asked for... or subpoenaed."

"You really hate the Press, don't you sir?" asked Theo Washington. "But don't we have to have a Free Press to preserve our rights and freedoms?"

"You better believe I hate them." I said. "I don't think it's going too far to say the Press is the ultimate enemy of the Constitution of the United States. Their lies, distortions, misrepresentations, and their agenda-driven propaganda is going to destroy the very First Amendment that protects them. They're protected by the First Amendment, but they abuse that right. And one day they're going to get what they want... and by then, it will be too late for them."

"All right, all right." said Chief Moynahan, coming into MCD. As Cindy poured him a cup of coffee, he said "I bee-lieeeve we need to cut down on the political chatter. We have different philosophies in our heads, but we have to work together as a team. And some of your rights end where those badges on your chests begin, if you get my drift."

"Yes sir." I said, on behalf of everyone else, who nodded to various degrees.

"Commander, if I can see you in my office, please... and refill your coffee cup on the way." I obeyed those orders.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Have a seat." said the Chief as he sat down behind his desk. I sat down in the chair in front of the desk.

"What I called you in about," said the Chief, "is that Commander Harlow came to me yesterday and complained about Detective Parker's comments yesterday morning, as well as your emphatic defense of him. She said she considered his comments about illegal persons to be racist, and she believes Mr. Parker is a racist."

"Are you kidding me?" I blurted out, then remembered my manner and said "...sir?"

"I asked if she thought you were a racist," said the Chief, "and she said no, that she thought you were just taking up for your Detective. So she's a hypocrite already on it."

The Chief went on: "I told her that Mr. Parker did not mention any ethnicities in his comments, and that technically what he said is true: someone here illegally is illegal, period... as you said. I also said that no one has ever reported hearing Mr. Parker say anything of a racist nature, and that he works well with his black colleagues. I might have mentioned that he is dating Janice Holloway, who is part-Hispanic."

I nodded. "So, is it formal?" I asked.

"Not yet." said the Chief. "And after my discussion with her, it may not get to that. But if she goes to the Inspector General with a formal complaint, we'll have to address it. In the meantime, reinforce what I just said in MCD about no more political chatter, and therefore nothing that can be... misconstruuuuued."

"Yes sir." I said.

"Okayyyyy," said the Chief, "tell me what's going on in my Police Department..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I went into MCD to relay the Chief's message, and saw a congregation of Detectives around the whiteboards on the far side of the room. Going closer, I saw that they were discussing the cold case.

"Don't mind me." I said as they turned around and peered at me. "Please, carry on."

"Sir," said Joanne Warner, "we're all talking about this case. We think there are three possible suspects: Jimmy Amberton, Jennifer Green Amberton, and now we've added Susan Gurley."

"What about Kevin Arnett?" I asked.

"He was in sight of someone pretty much the whole time." said Jerome Davis.

"That, and no obvious motive to kill his friend Jason."said Theo Washington. I nodded.

"So," said Joanne, "based upon the facts we know, let's name our key suspects. I'll go first. I think it's Jimmy Amberton. He was humiliated the night before by the cool crowd people. Jason Rutledge was Jennifer's lover in high school, and likely impregnated Jennifer a couple of months before the reunion. Someone says something the night before, or Jimmy knew already. So, being an acoustics engineer, he devises that soda bottle and cardboard to be a crude silencer, somehow gets Jason out to that field, and shoots Jason. He disassembles the gun, throws pieces all over the place, maybe flushes some down the toilets in the fieldhouse."

"I'm kind of thinking Jennifer." said Theo Washington. "She had better financial motive to kill Jason before he could change his mind on the trust fund he'd created for her unborn child that he'd fathered. Killing him also keeps him from telling anyone about fathering her child. She's also an engineer, and could've created that crude silencer... and you know, she could've done that with the idea of framing Jimmy. He gets put in jail, she can try to tap into that trust fund early..."

"All of that could be said for Susan Gurley." said Jerome. "Except she's not an engineer. But what if she seduced Jimmy, got him to do that for her? She pretends to help Jimmy while actually setting him up."

"Teddy?" I asked. "You want to add to this... mess?" My words had Cindy's ice blue eyes flashing with barely concealed amusement. The other Detectives looked a bit crestfallen.

"No sir." Teddy said quietly. I peered at him, noticing he was introspective.

"How did they do, Commander?" asked Captain Ross, partially to distract me from Teddy, and part to get me talking about this case.

"You all had some very good points, and some not-so-good ones." I said, addressing the Detectives. "For example, it was a great observation of Detective Warner to understand that there are two engineers there that would know how to make a crude silencer out of a coke bottle and cardboard. But let's take to the other side... there was no record of Jimmy or Jennifer owning a .40 cal pistol, so either would have had to buy one within the past 24 hours -or- have transported it from Nevada. And they'd have had to make that crude silencer in that time. Very fast time to plot revenge. My point here is that I believe this murder was planned well ahead, was premeditated, and not quickly-done act of passion."

"To that point," I added, "someone is going to look silly carrying a 2-liter soda bottle around all night. So it had to be somewhere on the premises, likely secreted on or near the practice field. That in itself bespeaks premeditation."

"I also note that it was Kevin, not Jason, that physically harassed Jimmy the night before." I said. "Of course Jason could've gotten Kevin to do the dirty work for him, but I simply mention that Jimmy's active tormentor, Kevin, is not the one lured out and killed."

"Another point I'll make," I said, "is that you've mentioned all the suspects singly, and that's good. And there was a mention that Susan might've enticed Jimmy into a discretion, though from all accounts she hated his guts. But what about others? Could Jennifer or Susan have conspired with Kevin? Could Jennifer have conspired with her friend from school, Susan, and perhaps others? And most importantly, what if Jimmy and Jennifer were colluding, as a couple, to kill Jason?"