Gods and Crowbars Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Even if we figure this out, we'll never get a conviction." said Joanne forlornly. "Too much reasonable doubt."

"Unfortunately, I agree." I said. "So you're going to need something much, much stronger. By the way, I'm going to help you guys out and dig into why the Ambertons were fired from BigAerospaceCorp. Something strange in the way their clearances were revoked and they were canned like they were, and I have Federal resources that I can put to use, there."

"We would appreciate that, sir." said Joanne.

"There is one other clue that I haven't heard mentioned." I said. "I'm not surprised some of you haven't thought about it, but Tanya Perlman saw it in a heartbeat, all those years ago."

"Oh." said Cindy. "He died with a hard-on."

"Yes. Yes he did." I replied. "Hell of a way to go. But it's a cluuuuue."

Part 21 - Dirty Pool

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the lovely redheaded reporterette at 7:00am on Monday, April 24th. "Channel Two News has learned that the Town & County Police have opened registration for their famous Police Boxing Matches!"

Bettina went on: "The Police claim that the Boxing Matches teach defensive skills, taking down criminals in weaponless combat, and encourage a competitive spirit and esprit de corps. There is an actual Boxing Division, but the Freestyle Division, based upon the hand-to-hand combat of the Marine Corps Basic Training program, is where the excitement is. Last year's champion, Commander Donald Troy, has announced that he will be unable to defend his title due to his recent back surgery, and sources tell Channel Two News that the Commander is 'distraught' at being unable to compete..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I noticed that Teddy Parker was looking very down at the coffee klatch. I asked Cindy to bring him to my office.

Once seated, I said "Teddy, I'm considered to be pretty decent at observation and deduction, and I can see that something is bothering you. So if it's personal, you can tell me so, but this is your chance to talk about it 'off the record'." To emphasize the point, I put my badge down on my desk.

"Yes sir." said Parker. "Janice broke up with me over the weekend. She said she was told by Commander Harlow that I'd made racist statements. I told her that was b.s., and she could ask anyone I work with. I know I'm from Mississippi, sir, but I'm no racist, and everyone knows it. It's an insult."

"I agree." I said. "What did Janice say? if I may ask."

"She said she believed me, but that Commander Harlow was her boss, and had all but said out loud that she did not want Janice seeing me anymore." said Parker.

My eyes locked with Cindy's for a moment, and we both saw the fire in each other's eyes.

"Teddy," I said, "has Commander Harlow attempted to say anything to you since that morning we 'discussed' illegal persons?"

"If I may, sir." said Cindy. She then said "Commander Harlow did come into MCD when she thought Parker was alone in there. She didn't see me, and I got between her and Parker, and told her to come through me if she had a problem with one of my Detectives. I then took it to Chief Moynahan, and he said he told her to not speak to Parker again on any 'political' issues, but only on business matters."

"Wow." I said, shaking my head. My back started hurting, too.

"Well, sir," said Cindy, "Janice doesn't realize what she's just given up. If she's that shallow, then Teddy is better off and will find better." She then said to Teddy "I know that doesn't make you feel better now, Teddy, but I believe it to be true."

"Yes ma'am." Teddy said.

"Teddy," I said, picking up my badge from the desk, "I appreciate your candor, and I understand you're hurting. But to be honest, I'm more worried about your career than your love life. If anyone at all gives you any shit, or if you're told you're under investigation for making racist comments, you let me know immediately. You also have a right to Union representation if you are accused of anything like that. Meanwhile, keep driving on, and be circumspect in anything you say. Even friendly banter can now be misconstrued, and definitely don't talk political things."

"Yes sir." said Teddy. I dismissed him. After he left, I looked at Cindy.

"That was dirty pool on Della's part." I said. "Glad you stood up to her, ranks notwithstanding."

"Hell, I told off the Police Chief after you were called a racist by that SDOJ bitch." said Cindy. "I'll stand up for my people. Anyway, I know Della's a Liberal. She was very angry that Governor Jared won re-election, and I think she's not in alignment with you and the Chief."

"What about you?" I asked. I'd never asked before, and I caught Cindy by surprise. But she only showed that for a second, and recovered quickly.

"I have the unique perspective of seeing America from a Canadian point of view, and greatly appreciating what America is." she said with alacrity, and pride. "I also am a lesbian, and while I am not ashamed of that in any way, I do feel I've had to suppress some thoughts and feelings in the service of the Police Force. One reason Jenna and I broke up is because I would not be as out front and political as she is about things."

I nodded. "It must be tough. Brownlee was calling you a 'dyke' all the time just to get you, and all of us, riled up."

"My family's objections to my orientation hurt far worse." said Cindy. "And speaking of that... I have never figured out how you knew, when you called me into your basement office that time."

"Oh, that was simple." I said as casually as I could make my voice sound. "Observation, deduction, and knowledge."

A green crowbar was waved in my general direction.

Part 22 - The Letter

On Friday, April 28th, I was called to the front desk. A tall, thin man in a brown suit, curly brown hair, and gold-rimmed glasses was in the lobby.

"Commander Troy," he said, "I am William Farnsworth, of Succup & Payne, P.C. I have this letter for you." He handed me a sealed envelope.

"This is from Leonard Sharples." he said. "He instructed me to give it to you if he died or was put in a position where he could not reasonably talk to you in private. His conviction created that scenario."

"Okay, thanks." I said skeptically. I signed for the letter. I then went and got Cindy, and we walked to the Crime Lab.

"I need to make sure this letter is safe to open." I told Christina Cho. She ran it through infrared and ultraviolet lights, then exposed it to a high-radiation source like an x-ray machine to kill any anthrax spores that might be there. Then she opened it inside a sealed hood, using the glove inserts.

"Nothing dangerous, Commander." she said. I took the letter and read it. It said:

"Commander Troy,

If you are reading this, I am dead or in prison and cannot talk to you. You once asked me to continue the investigation into Jonas Oldeeds and his organization, and their child trafficking activities. You should be able to solve this code with your abilities and the help of your teams. It will lead you to evidence that you can follow to destroy the Oldeeds Organization as I was never able to. Good luck. Sergeant Sharples.

There followed blocks of letters in groups of five, obviously a code of some kind. There was nothing else in the envelope, and no clue as to how to solve the code. This would be a stern test of the Iron Crowbar's abilities...

Part 22 - Epilogue

Sunday, April 30th. The Orange Order dinner was held at the back room of The Steakhouse. With Cindy Ross making arrangements, we were going to eat at a place with good food!

Because it was not the February or August promotions times, there were no promotions, only a few pay grade raises for Patrol Officers. The big deal was medals.

I did notice Della Harlow and Janice Holloway sitting together at the opposite end of the room from me, Cindy, and Chief Griswold.

"Commander," said Corporal Kirkpatrick, "I'm hearing rumors that Bowser is going to be elected into the Orange Order next fall." Those of us who heard him laughed.

"He'd be a great mascot for us." I replied. "But his owner might not appreciate sharing him." When Kirkpatrick peered at me, I said "My daughter, Corporal. Despite rumors to the contrary, I'm not Bowser's owner. My daughter is, and if you don't believe me, just ask her and she'll tell you."

"Har!" growled Chief Griswold. "But one thing is true: that little girl does not love that dog more than you do, Crowbar!"

"That..." I said, "... is very true."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

May 1st. The weather was good; beautiful and sunny, and still fairly cool. The Police Force was assembled in the bleachers behind the Police Headquarters building. The Press were there with their cameras, including Meredith Peller of Fox Midtown. I gave her a short sit-down interview in the Press Interview room, which irritated Priya and righteously pissed off Bettina. Tough shit, I thought to myself.

Among the awards given, an Achievement Medal was presented to Christina Cho, who helped handle the frozen mothballs that proved to be so dangerous. I used this Awards Day as an opportunity to get Myron and Mary Mahoney Milton Commendation Medals for their service in data mining, and Lainie and Sonali got Achievement Medals. A few other Patrol Officers received Achievement Medals for various things, presented by their Precinct Captains.

As always, the final awards were Purple Orders, and we had one this time. As Chief Moynahan read the citation, I pinned a Purple Order with four, count them four, oak leaf clusters upon the Uniform jacket of Captain Teresa Croyle.

And then with some degree of humor about it, Chief Moynahan read the citation as Captain Croyle pinned a Purple Order with one oak leaf cluster onto my uniform, with a whispered commentary about desk duty forever. My allies on the Council had won the battle against the Haters, but even the citation was not clear on exactly which incident the Purple Order was for: the helicopter crash or the gunshot to the girdle. It didn't matter: I would now be wearing a gold-framed purple rectangle on my uniforms.

And last, the pièce de résistance. Bowser was wearing his Police bandana and his badge on his collar, and looking exceptionally handsome. He was also wearing a body harness and a leash, which he really did not need. He led the way, escorted by Carole and Marie, who had huge grins on their little faces as they proudly came up with Bowser to me. I was sitting down in a chair that was brought out. Bowser sat down right in front of me, Carole and Marie behind him.

I did not allow the pain in my back to stop my presentation of this award. As Chief Moynahan read the citation, Bowser became the first of our great K-9 Corps to be awarded the K-9 Lifesaving Medal, which I pinned upon his collar.

I had never taught Bowser to 'shake hands', but as the Police Officers clapped and cheered, Bowser raised his right front paw, which I took into my right hand. Just at that second, the Police Photographer snapped a photograph, which would show me shaking hands with Bowser, and Carole and Marie smiling brightly.

I obtained three copies of that photo and put them in black frames. One stayed in my office, then was moved to my personal office in The Cabin. Carole and Marie got the other two, and would keep and display that photo for the rest of their lives.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I was later sent a DVD of that evening's national Fox News 'Special Report' broadcast. It ran:

"And finally tonight," said the host, "some months ago, we brought you the story of hero dog Bowser, who led Police to a little girl in a ditch suffering from acute hypothermia, thus saving her life. Our Fox News Midtown affiliate reports that the Police honored Bowser with their Lifesaving Medal today."

The screen showed the picture of me shaking hands with Bowser, with Carole and Marie attending, as the host said "The little blonde girl in the photo is the girl that Bowser saved on that very cold night. The other little girl is the dog's owner. And would you look at the smiles on their little faces! The presentation was made by Police Commander Donald Troy, no stranger to heroism himself with two Police Department Medals of Valor."

The other reporters on the panel did the requisite ooh-ing and aah-ing, then the host said "A hero we can all look up to." before signing off...

Finis.