Hampered in His Plans Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You'll talk to your Council without national help or approval." said Naples, his grin fading. "I won't help you at all with that. I say you put a strike vote to your rank and file. There really is no other choice."

"There's always another choice." said Jimmy Lawson. "There has to be. We're trying to save our jobs here, not throw them away."

"Yes." said Hans Logan. "What good does it do us to just go on strike without trying to negotiate first, at least? Maybe the Council will be shamed by what happened to our people, and will sit down and talk. We should at least try that."

"Are you with them on that, Mr. James?" asked Naples, his eyes boring into Wilbur's.

"As I told my colleagues here," said James, "I think it'll be useless, I think we're up against a brick wall, and I think there's deeper, more sinister purposes behind all this. But I think we should at least see if we can have a dialogue. At the least, we can tell the Press we tried and The Council wouldn't meet us halfway."

"All right." said Naples. "Twenty-four hours. I'll give you that. I'll see you here tomorrow at 11:00am. Let me know your progress, we'll go to lunch, then at 2:00pm, you'll give me your final answer."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

5:00pm. The Town & County Council was meeting in their 'private' Council Chambers, the one they went into for executive sessions. This was not an official meeting; ergo, no record of it was being kept. And the agenda was obvious: the deepening problem of the EMTs.

The long table had five chairs on each side. The Mayor sat at the end. On the other end was a podium, and behind that was a projection screen. At formal meetings, the speaking Council Member would take the podium and speak into the microphone. Today, they were seated in their chairs. On the right, as one stood behind the Mayor and looked at the podium, was Pastor Raymond K. Westboro nearest the podium. Next to him was Ms. Malinda Adams. Then J.P. Goldman, then Edward R. Steele, then Thomas P. Cook next to the Mayor. On the left side was Kelly Carnes by the podium, then Reginald B.F. Lewis, then John 'Jack' Colby, then Dagmar Schoen, and last but not least was Ian McGhillie to the Mayor's left.

They always sat this way, despite the deep political decisions between the two camps into which they'd gravitated. And today, those divisions showed.

"Well," said Jack Colby, his deep baritone voice shocking as it came out of his slender body, "the sexual assault did not do anything to help resolve these issues. The Police did an outstanding job handling that, though."

"That's not what I heard." said Kelly Carnes. "The word I got is that the Iron Crowbar had his gun to Superintendent Harris's face when the Fire Chief got there."

"That's because Harris crossed a line and was taken down." said J.P. Goldman. "I don't care what else you think, Mrs. Carnes, but don't even try to pin any of this on Commander Troy." This level of threat from the normally quiet J.P. Goldman was faintly shocking to the rest of them. Carnes looked at him balefully, but said nothing else, at least not about the Iron Crowbar.

"I do have to ask," said Pastor Westboro, "just how did the Police get there so quickly?"

"Fire Marshal Singer said it publicly, Pastor." said Dagmar Schoen. "She asked the Police to monitor the video cameras at that Station. They even had a warrant to do so. Superintendent Harris had openly called for violence against EMTs, and obviously, his calls were answered."

"Ah, I see." said Pastor Westboro. "The Iron Crowbar is good, but I thought that was little fast, even for him and his talents."

"He was ready, as he always is." said Jack Colby. "He does not let the grass grow under his feet. And thank God for that! as that poor woman's life and those of her two colleagues were very likely saved because he got his people there in time."

"But a full SWAT Team?" asked Malinda Adams. "With all due respect to the victims, our Police are supposed to be Peace Officers, not some paramilitary army invading Fire Stations."

"I doubt the three people in the Hospital would agree with you, Ms. Adams." said Reginald B.F. Lewis. "But I do concur that a full SWAT Team was perhaps excessive?"

Mayor Vaughan spoke up. "I talked to Chief Moynahan about just that this morning. He told me that the Commander's rationale had two points. First, there were a number of potentially hostile Fireman there; indeed, some of them tried to block his Officers from helping the girl being raped. Second, the Commander was making a distinct point, and showing just what he is capable of responding with. Now everyone in this County, including us and the Fire Department, know that the Iron Crowbar is not fooling around. He comes in with more than enough firepower to back him up."

"No doubt about that." said Jack Colby. "But gosh darn it, you guys have done it again. We're talking about the Iron Crowbar instead of the root of this problem: the Fire Department and the EMTs. Now I think we let the Fire Department get away with too much in putting all of their austerity measures upon the EMTs. I think we should at least have a dialogue with the EMTs, hear their side of the story, and see if we can come to a more reasonable conclusion to this matter."

"I disagree with that completely." said Thomas P. Cook. "And I thought we were all in agreement about this; at least I did think that when I put my ass out there with the public statements on the matter. I'll reiterate that it's a matter of the Law: if the EMTs go on strike, they are fired, can never be rehired, and that's that. I'll also reiterate that we agreed with the Fire Department's plan for the austerity measures; I think we should maintain that position, and I'll fight any attempt to retreat from it."

"Goddammit, Cook!" snarled Colby. "A girl got raped, for Christ's sake."

"Easy on the language, my son." said Pastor Westboro reprovingly. "It does not serve this conversation."

"So being insensitive, even callous to rape does serve this conversation, Pastor?" Colby shot back.

Kelly Carnes said "I am sympathetic to what that girl went through, and to her colleagues who were harmed when they tried to help her. But I agree with Mr. Cook that we cannot back off from the law and our publicly stated positions."

"I do want to say one other thing." said Cook, feeling he had won and could go for more. "This whole thing is becoming a public relations disaster. Not only are the Fire Department and EMTs irretrievably split, this incident could cause severe damage between the Police and Fire Departments.

"And yes," continued Cook, "I'll have to bring up the Iron Crowbar again: some of the Firemen have contacted me with complaints about the zeal with which the Police, not just the Commander, but all of them, acted in arresting Fire Department personnel. Some of the Firemen think at least some of the arrests should not have been made. Captain Ross won the fight with Engineer Jenkins; there was no reason to compound it by arresting him."

"What are you suggesting?" asked Ian McGhillie. "That the Police should not do their jobs? They intervened in a rape and two brutal assaults. You're suggesting they should've let that go?"

Thomas P. Cook exhaled. "I'm just saying this is being escalated too much. I'm not saying the Police were wrong, but there are hostilities brewing. We need to tamp this down, we need to find a way to cool it off."

"And how do you propose to do that?" asked Colby, his voice cold.

"I think we should talk to D.A. Krasney about quietly cutting deals with these Firemen, and getting this out of the public eye."

"Are you suggesting that two rapists not be prosecuted?" thundered Malinda Adams, her face furious with indignation. "Are you suggesting, Mr. Cook, that this woman was just a piece of meat for two men to brutalize how they wished?"

"No, I'm not--"

"Shut your goddamned mouth!" yelled Malinda Adams, stunning the entire assemblage in the room. "I am not finished yet! The assault on Captain Ross, who is a woman, you think that is okay, too? You can take your sexism and go straight to hell, Mr. Cook! I'll fight every step of the way to make sure those two raping thugs get what they deserve!"

"You misunderstand me." said Cook. "I am not condoning rape, I am merely saying that we need to get this thing out of the public eye. It'll hurt all our careers if it continues."

"Or maybe you're just afraid the Public will take the EMTs's side?" said Jack Colby. "That'll hurt your plans for a private ambulance service, won't it, Mr. Cook?"

"What are you insinuating?" asked Cook. "Are you accusing me of a crime?"

"I'll tell you this." said Cook. "Any private ambulance company contract had damn well better have a very open bidding process, or else we'll let University Hospital create one. Otherwise, I'll be having conversations with the SBI's Office of Ethics and Review... and yes, Mr. Cook, your name absolutely will come up."

"You'd better have some proof before accusing me of anything, Colby," snarled Cook, "or I'll shove a crowbar so far up your ass you'll be shitting nails for a week."

"Gentlemen! Gentlemen!" shouted Pastor Westboro. "Contain yourselves!" The silence that followed was prolonged and awkward. Finally, Westboro said "Well, Mr. Mayor, we should move this along and wrap it up, wouldn't you agree?"

"Yes." said the Mayor. "Yes, we should. Okay, ladies and gentlemen, you need to formulate a plan going forward for any dialogue with the EMTs, if any at all; then you need to decide what to do if and when they go on strike. That includes what to do with EMS employees, but also how ambulance and emergency services will be provided."

"That last part is easy." said McGhillie. "The Fire Department has Fire Medics. They've been hiring them little by little, anticipating this situation with the EMTs would come to a head. Emergency services can still be provided."

Edward Steele said "Those Fire Medics are meant to help other Firemen at fire scenes, Ian. They're not nearly as trained and experienced as Paramedics and EMTs."

"They're better than nothing." said Thomas P. Cook. "And firemen can drive an EMT vehicle to the Hospital."

"If the EMTs go on strike," said Dagmar Schoen, "we have the right to fire them. The problem, per the law, is that their services cannot be duplicated within the Fire Department, or the firings come under State review, and maybe even the Federal NLRB gets to come in on it. We may win, but we can easily lose, and it's the EMTs path to taking it to the Courts. So we'll have to have University Hospital run an emergency service until we find a more permanent replacement."

"Well then," said Pastor Westboro, "I guess we'd better call Dr. Wellman and the Hospital Board, and start making arrangements now..."

Part 9 - Strike!

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" said the lovely MILF redhead at 7:00am, Thursday, January 7th. "Channel Two News has learned that the Town & County Council has rejected all requests for meetings or talks with the EMTs Union. The Council issued a statement stating that they expect the EMTs to refrain from further 'sick-outs', return to their jobs, and do their jobs as directed by their Fire Department superiors."

Bettina continued: "In a public statement, Fire Marshal Zoe Singer explicitly rejected Assistant Fire Chief William Jefferson's calls for her to treat the rape of an EMT as an internal matter. She has turned the case over to County Inspector General Horace S. Wellman, who in turned called upon the Police Department to continue investigating the case and bring full criminal charges where warranted. In addition, Inspector General Wellman stated that the Police Department could bring in the SBI or even the FBI to assist if they thought it would produce a more impartial investigation."

"Commander Donald Troy released a statement saying that the TCPD's investigation would be fair, impartial, and comprehensive. He also said that there is plenty enough evidence to go to a Grand Jury, and said that the District Attorney's office was already involved in processing the case." Bettina continued. "In addition, Channel Two News has learned that there is political pressure for the District Attorney's office to bring these cases to a swift conclusion, even by cutting deals with the accused. All eyes are now on District Attorney Gil Krasney as the cases go forward."

Bettina concluded: "Sources tell Channel Two News that the EMT Union leadership will be calling for a rank-and-file vote to strike if the Council continues to refuse to open a dialogue with them. Channel Two News will bring you any breaking news as this situation develops."

"What's going to happen, Commander?" asked Theo Washington.

"How can they not go on strike?" I mused. "They're finished anyway; it's only a matter of time before the Council obliterates them. So they have nothing to lose. It's heads they lose, tails they lose. And if the coin stands on edge... they lose."

"Is the Fire Department really angry at us? At you, Commander?" asked Martin Nash.

"Some of them are." I said. "They think we should've closed ranks with them, but they also see it as the EMTs being wrong no matter what. Me, I just don't see it the same way, and I sure as hell don't condone assault and rape that leaves three people in the hospital and one still in ICU."

Cindy then looked at me and said "Commander, if the Council awards Easley the Medal of Valor, then either me or you will have to put it on him, per tradition. What do you think the Fire Department will do then, if they're hating us now?"

"I'd say they better get over it, and quick." I replied. "But to your point... it does underscore how bad things are getting right now."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 10:00am, FedEx came with a package for me. Helena signed for it, then for some strange reason called for Cindy to come to my office's anteroom.

"Commander, can you come with me?" Cindy asked, taking charge of the package. I knew something was up, but still followed Cindy to MCD. All of the Vice Detectives were coming into the room, so I really was wondering what my cousin was up to... besides 'up to no good', of course.

"Open your box, Commander." Cindy said as everyone gathered around. I did so, using scissors to cut the tape, then opening the box. Styrofoam peanuts flew as I pulled out a clear plastic box. Inside was a football.

And it was no ordinary football... it was one of the game balls from the National Championship game! The "17-10" score was on one side, and it was autographed by many of the players and coaches. Under the laces, above the "17-10", was printed "For the Iron Crowbar, Wildcat Donald Troy".

"Oh wow, this is incredible." I said. There was a letter inside, written by Coach Marshall. "To the Iron Crowbar, thanks for all you've done and for your support! Wildcats National Champions!"

I took the football out of the plastic container. I then noticed on top, just under the laces, two extra lines of writing. One line said "Trigon Rules The Night! - E.M." That was by Coach Marshall. Just beneath it was printed "Airborne All The Way!" and the initials of the Wildcats R.O.T.C. Commandant.

"Now that... is impressive." I said, holding the football as if it were the crystal trophy itself.

"Congratulations, Commander." said Martin Nash. "Is this for that videotape you allegedly sent them?"

"Hell, it'd have to be gold plated to be a reward for that!" I said. "Just kidding, of course. But it's nice of them to think of me."

"You saved Coach Marshall's ass from the SBI wringer, sir." said Tanya Perlman. "I'd say it's only right he remembered you." There was a concurrence of that sentiment by all.

It was a gift I would treasure for the rest of my life. I sent Coach Marshall an email, thanking him and the team.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Well, gentlemen," said Jack Naples, his perma-grin annoying as hell to the three local EMT leaders, "what is your decision?"

"We're going to put it to a rank-and-file vote." said Wilbur James.

"You don't look happy about that, Mr. Lawson." said Naples sneeringly.

"I'm not." said Jimmy Lawson. "I don't agree with this."

"Your fellow EMTs will decide if they agree with you or not." said Hans Logan. "I'm not righteous about it, either, but the Council has totally snubbed us, spit in our faces."

"The emails are going out now, with a link to click on and vote." said Wilbur James. "They have until midnight to vote. We'll know the totals, and it'll be done."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Beer at the Cop Bar?" Cindy asked at 6:45pm. "On me?"

"Sure." I said. "But nothing alcoholic for me. I'm staying sober. The EMT strike vote is going on until midnight."

"How's that going?" Cindy asked as I got up and got my jacket.

"According to KXTC, it's running 5-1 in favor of going on strike." I said. We drove in my Police SUV to the Cop Bar.

It was called the 'Cop Bar', but Fire Department personnel normally came here also. As Cindy and I came in, the Police were mostly on the left, and the Firemen were mostly on the right. It was a lot quieter than normal, and there was some tension in the air. The Firefighters were watching the TVs with avid interest.

Cindy went to the bar and got a beer for herself, and a Coca-Cola for me. I saw the 'Command Table' just behind the door at left, which led to the outside patio. No one was outside, but Fire Chief Quinlin was sitting at the 'Command Table', alone.

"I'm going to go make a public display, here." I said to Cindy. I took my Coca-Cola and went to the Command table. Chief Quinlin was quick to offer to shake my hand, and I shook his hand, making sure everyone in the bar saw it.

"Let me buy you a beer, Don." said Patrick... at this table everyone was on a first-name basis.

"Thanks, but I'm the designated driver and designated sober Commander tonight." I said. "So I'll take a raincheck."

"Sure." said Quinlin. "Some of my guys are pissed at you Police, but for the most part they understand. Some of them were telling the others about you at that apartment fire, so even if they're pissed, they respect the hell out of you, as do I."

"Thanks." I said. "I do hope that nothing will mess up Easley's day on February 1st."

"Think the Council will downgrade his Medal over this?" Quinlin asked.

"They better not." I replied. "They've got enough problems without being chased around by a very angry redhead with a crowbar in his hands."

"Make that two angry redheads." said Quinlin. "And I'll find a crowbar to help you beat them down."

"I'll dye my hair red," said Cindy as she joined us, "and make it three crowbars."

"I think all that will be okay." I said. "So how is Easley recovering?"

"He's pretty much back to normal." said Quinlin. "But he's not cleared to go back to firefighting. He's going to be promoted to Engineer, which is your Sergeant level. He's probably going to be stuck with some kind of desk or non-firefighting job, though. His lungs will probably never get back to one hundred percent."

"I can empathize." said Cindy. When Quinlin looked at her in lack of understanding, she explained how her lung wound had kept her from running the Triathlon race again.

"He can still do a lot of things." I said. "He can work with the Fire Marshal as an arson investigator. He an be an instructor at the Fire Academy."

"Yes," said Quinlin, "and he can still do a lot of jobs. He can be in charge of a truck or engine, he just can put on an oxygen tank and go into a fire. That was what he loved to do, though."

Everyone was watching the televisions, some of which were on KXTC and some on KSTD. Both were covering the EMT strike vote.

"Wow, online voting, on-the-spot coverage." I said. "Well, we'll know what our day will be like tomorrow, Cindy, especially if they strike."