All Comments on 'Hands on the Wheel Ch. 03'

by A_Bierce

Sort by:
  • 32 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
I was

thinking of the girl in Japan. This guy is a genius, he can solve the most daunting computer program problems but he can locate the girl in Japan???? This author should make up our minds as to what story he is going to tell or just stop writing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Well done.

I don't like his character much. Falling apart like that makes him look like shit

(which he is, or was)

However she was GREAT!!!

I can only hope that you take story in the Wright direction?

5

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago

Are we ever getting back to Fumiko?

Or was that pointless?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Good job

Bring Sarah back and have them marry

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
What a pathetic excuse for a man

Spending a whole year drunk because his wife cheated on him? What kind of "hero" does that? As far as I can see, he deserved being cuckolded. Fucking piece of shit.

Real men soldier on. Real men roll with the punches. Real men don't cry about how unfair life is and try to kill themselves with booze. That's what sissies do and by God, this asshole is the biggest Goddamn sissy here.

Right now, I'm rooting for the ex-wife because she had to put up with this shit the whole marriage. No fucking wonder she cheated on him.

dragonmann72dragonmann72about 6 years ago
I'm still reading but..........

When we started this journey I thought Ivan was going to break the mold and bring traditional Japanese values to Mr. Nice Guy. Fumiko gave Ivan her heart not just a piece of ass. On his flight back to the states he pondered how he could find her again, then you just dropped her from the story. You made Jean toxic after she married him and now we have Sarah detoxing him.

I personally liked the Fumiko story line, but now that it is three or four years later it would be hard to believe she is still waiting for her one night stand to return.

Til the next time I will be waiting.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Thanks, you made that easy.

I didn't need to waste my time on ANY of the content this chapter. Just read the few comments already made and I know exactly where we are, for now. What's-his-name is a pathetic loser, and Fumiko is still raising their child without any influence from his sorry worthless ass. So Fumiko and the child both benefit. When he finally does get his act together and grows up enough to be a decent man and husband, then, maybe, he and Fumiko can reconnect and share what is left of their lives.

Yeah, its that obvious.

If you think this is a spoiler then you really don't know LW readers at all. Which would explain a lot about your writing.

For what its worth, I will continue to wait to rate until this story is completed. Its been done.

ScorpioJJScorpioJJabout 6 years ago
Gives me a headache

Just thinking about drinking that much. Why punish yourself when someone else does wrong? Grow up, move on. The best revenge (well a good one) is living well. He continues to give his ex too much power over him. He needs to stop being a wimp.

Sidney43Sidney43about 6 years ago

I have to say it, don't have a clue where this story is going, or even if it is continuing from this chapter. It seems apparent that Sarah, or Woodley is more than just a co-worker, but she is at present just like Fumiko. Is there some inherent flaw in your protagonist that he finds a good one and then flakes out while searching for another woman who will dump on him?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
its a good story

A bit slow for some of the armchair critics, but i believe that is because the chapters are short. This chapter was more about character developement than anything else. Keep it going i am ready for the next chapter.

looking4itlooking4itabout 6 years ago

I knew that Woodley would be in an upcoming chapter because her introduction to the story was purposefully muted. Then she comes in as some type of detox sex therapist? Not particularly believable nor relevant to the previous chapters. Seems like everyone sees the world around them except for Ivan. Jean and Woodley seem to know what each other is capable of but Ivan is like a plow horse with blinders. He is getting the best sex of his life from women out of the blue. Really? Without trying he is a love em and leave em guy. Livin’ the dream and pouting like a three year old. I’ll keep reading to see who he gets to fuck next but this plot has lost pretty much all of its intrigue.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
What was that?

A woman shows up and tries to sober up an alcoholic? What was erotic or entertaining about that?

1 star

green117green117about 6 years ago
@previous anonymouse:

Woman shows up on your doorstep and risks quite a lot to save your ass and you say: "What was erotic or entertaining about that?"....

Man, there a lot of people out there without.... something important.

green-something.

(yes it was an ugly situation - solved, as it were, by love. You got a problem with that?)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago

Good story. Well told. Bravo.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago

Ivan feels like a Japanese anime harem protagonist: He has the depth, appeal and apparent self-worth of a potato, understands women equally well, and yet inexplicably attracts good women who go to great lengths to do good things for him.

I continue to find it difficult to believe that someone would have people who care about him enough to spend two weeks fucking him to help him turn his life around, but yet didn't have anyone who cared enough about him to make him understand how idiotic he was to get married to someone he barely knew.

I also find it difficult to believe that anyone would care that much about such a spoiled petulant child. He wasn't married for 20 years with two kids and then found out his wife was cheating on him; it wasn't even like she was a longtime friend who he had deep memories with and was losing that friendship as well. He was married for a year to a woman he barely knew and barely spent any time with, and had barely really known for less than two years.

At this point, I would expect that he has literally spent more time in a drunken stupor than the total amount of time he was actually ever in his ex-wife's presence. That's not the behavior of a normal person, let alone a normal adult; that's a temper tantrum of a child.

And Jeanne just randomly shows up at the perfect time to get dressed down, as opposed to having shown up at any other time during the last year when she probably just would have complicated his life? Rather convenient and comes off as a bit forced.

Honestly, at this point, Fumiko and their kid are much better off without him in their lives, and I don't know if it's even possible for him to grow up enough for that to change.

JMH1961JMH1961about 6 years ago
Good Story

I would like to know Woodley's story, she seems to have feelings for Ivan. Her preferred dress, mysterious life and sullenness I'm sure comes with a story. I'm surprised by her sudden departure without a word, although her surprise appearance was the same. Hopefully she is not being used as a tool by Jeremy for the benefit of the company. I am enjoying this story. Thank You 5*****

bruce22bruce22about 6 years ago
That was only a couple of pages and like a full dose of recovery

His poor slut wife was just about wiped out, I like Bourbon and Pale Dry but It is almost impossible to force myself to get drunk. The price is too high.

overthehillmedicoverthehillmedicabout 6 years ago
You have my interest

Glad to see it did not end at chapter 2. Not sure where this is going..... I wish you well on the final chapters.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Ummmmmm...... WTF ??

The only other place on LW that I've seen the protagonist crawl this far into the bottle as a result of breaking up with the wife is in all of Matt Moreau's "masterpieces". What the fuck happened in the last year? How did they divorce? Why would any woman out of the blue decide to detox a guy with a fuckathon ? . How does Jean magically show up when Ivan hasn't seen her for an entire year? Why does Woodley put all the blame on Jean for being a forever round heeled slut and claiming it was she who deliberately killed the babies in her wound?

It's almost as if another writer with a totally different view wrote Chapter 3. If anyone can figure this out I'd love to know. Maybe javmor79 (a great writer, I've loved all of his other stories) got drunk for three days and then wrote this?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Great Intrigue

Yes this is a very good/great story and it hit's home for me being raised in Upstate NY and moving to Connecticut after college to find the most disgusting "Blue Bloods" and their superior attitude. Ivan is finding out how people are so much different in the various locations of our country. I think the future chapters might re-introduce his first love from Japan OR perhaps discover a love for Sarah? Looking forward to the next installment of this wonderful story - yes full 5*

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
So why did you drop Fumiko from the story. ?

Great story telling.i can't see his destructive behavior ,turning into a acololic with no intervention from. Vicki and Brian. Why did he not look up Fumiko. You dropped her from the story. They let him fester and almost kill himself.. And now Woodly comes to the rescue and sobers him up. I don't get the sex in play here. Also the bitch X shows up who is a female Donald Trump fucking anything and everything she could . Why? After sticking it to her and showing her family what kind of whore she is,make no sense .who gave Woodly the power trip to slap her and space our hero.

prinnaveaprinnaveaabout 6 years ago
Fumiko or Woodley

HMMM good question, but I lean towards Woodley. Fumiko I would think has moved on in her life not waiting on the American. She probably has been reading the news of his achievements and the company anyway.

Part two was interesting, albeit boring for some, was trying to decide if it was unix or linux being used to solve the problems, I am thinking linux.

Jean, she is a good sales person, which requires some deceit, but why the marriage as me wondering what is the point, if she was sleeping around anyway she didn't need Ivan. Unless she actually did love him, but couldn't hold up to his moral values.

The trashing of your life, ya, many people of both genders do that, until the very end. They can't cope with the rejection, or the idea they failed.

I can see the reason for Woodley rescuing Ivan,the company needs him and she feels he is worth the effort, even thought the therapy was unorthodox. She may have had feelings for him for awhile.

Good story so for, I like it.

26thNC26thNCabout 6 years ago
Again

Getting good again. I would have read this chapter just to see Jean get slapped around. Keep it coming.

patilliepatillieabout 6 years ago
Who’s Woodley?

Prob from Chapt 1 but that is so long ago cant really temember her. And the deep dive into alcoholism & subsequent therapy is improbable so....disappinting installment

mordbrandmordbrandabout 6 years ago
If your intent was to make it confusing

You succeeded beyond all hope. Characters appearing and disappearing, to reappear later with no logicality. A marriage out of left field in chapter two, conveniently to a nympho psychopath. What could be charged as a felony assault in changing her pills, followed by a rapid divorce that was barely elaborated upon. A year of him being blackout drunk without being fired, followed by a unlikely intervention that consisted of shutting his drinking off cold turkey (which, just FYI, is an excellent way to kill him. He should have had medical supervision) and, at least the first couple of times, what was tantamount to rape as a way to keep his mind off the booze. Not to mention that when someone is coming off a long bender, it's pretty difficult to achieve a fuckable erection (again, do a little research, I can tell you from first hand experience about it but there's plenty of information on it as well).

FD45FD45about 6 years ago

Short.

And I had no idea who Woodley was because it's been a long time between postings.

FD45FD45about 6 years ago
As an aside

I can feel you wanting to break this into 3 or more chapters.

Fight that urge.

HARD.

But if you must, there is an editing function (or at least there used to be). BEFORE you post, you can see how many Lit pages this is going to be.

If it isn't 3, you don't have enough content. Yes, I have violated this suggestion and everyone told ME I was going it wrong too.

I would wind it up with two 3 page chapters or one last big hurrah.

cloacascloacasabout 6 years ago
You have writing talent but your plotting is not so good

You write well but the plots not only don’t develop well but they actually put you off reading the actual words, which are good. Example: the long section about how he solved the beta issue was well though stolidly written, sort of Victorian long-winded, but it basically meant nothing to the plot. You should work on plotting skills so you can give your narrative a bit more drive, so the reader wants to keep going. Example: compare the section mentioned above to this part, and ask why is the story now inside his head? You switch perspectives without sufficient sense of why, and you have a sort of 3 party observer voice which needs to be edited down or even out.

bigdnc13bigdnc13about 6 years ago
Now what?

First a cheating, slut wife, and now he gets close to another woman who pulls him out of a bottle, then disappears. How's he supposed to react to another seeming rejection? You really don't like this character much, do you?

oldbearswitcholdbearswitchabout 6 years ago
Kudos

Ignore the advice from the nether hole of a bird. While he is deservedly a legend, your weird confusing style has grown on me, and I would miss it if you changed!

OTOH, he is a legend, maybe consider what he said??

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Done

What happened to the story & characters from the first chapter? Chapters two & three are completely different, especially Ivan’s character. He was so in love with the Japanese woman that he never thought about her after leaving Japan. Bye.

NewOldGuy77NewOldGuy77almost 2 years ago

Great imagery - squirrels and baboons and Louis Prima. 5 stars!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous