Head in the Clouds

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Slirpuff
Slirpuff
4,299 Followers

"Monica, get the nurse for me." She started to say something but I stopped her. "Monica, NOW!"

"Yes Mr. Moore?" the nurse said walking back into the room.

"What happen to the surgery I was supposed to have?"

"I'm sorry, no one's told you?"

"Told me what?" I replied.

"Mr. Connors died shortly after we put him under. Since you're not family, I can't tell you what exactly happened, that's why you still have both of your kidneys." My wife was looking at me and not with loving eyes. "The doctor will be in shortly to release you. Your wife will need to drive you home and if you have any problems later, please contact us." With that she was gone.

The doctor came in, checked me out, and release my ass to my wife. I thought of asking him if I could stay the night because I knew what awaited me at home. It was a quiet ride home.

"How could you do that to me? To us? I am so mad at you I don't know if I want to strangle you or kiss you. You could have fucking died! Why didn't you tell me!"

"For that reason; you never would have let me do it."

"And lucky for you mister, it didn't happen." I didn't feel very lucky about now.

"Look, it would have given us enough money to pay off everything and have a fresh start. Now, we're right back to where we were yesterday; broke with the bank breathing down our necks. This was our way out."

"What if you'd died? What kind of fresh start would that have been for me and the kids? Everything would have been paid for, but at what cost? If you haven't noticed, I kind of like having you around."

Monica didn't let up until after the kids came home from school. They were oblivious to what was going on and just wanted to know what was for dinner. I think Monica said something about fried butt.

I went back to work on Tuesday, no use staying home and doing nothing. I read in the paper about David's passing. All it said was that he died of complications, whom he was survived by, and the date and time of the viewing.

Dressed in my one suit, my wife and I made our way up to the front of the viewing line. He looked pretty damn good, the morticians had worked their magic.

"Sorry David," I said under my breath. "I guess we shouldn't have waited those three days and maybe you would have made it." Secretly I was thankful it was him in that casket instead of me. As we walked out, an older lady in black caught my eye. "Sorry for your loss," I mouth and continued out the door.

"I'm glad that's over," Monica said on the way home. "I guess all the money in the world means didley squat when your numbers up. Just remember that Steve the next time you come up with another one of your hair brain ideas.

Life went back to normal, whatever normal was anymore. We struggled like always and were just eking out a living. Is it ever going to get better? I thought to myself on my way home on Friday.

When I got home my wife was cooking supper, hot dogs and mac and cheese. It wasn't my favorite but was filling and most of all, cheap. I was just getting my second helping when someone rang the bell at the front door. Phone calls we never answered at dinnertime but someone at the front door, that's something you can't ignore. My wife got up and answered the door as I was scrapping out the last morsel of cheese from the kettle.

"Who was it?" I asked sitting down.

Just FEDEX dropping off something for you. I hope you didn't spend our life savings on something stupid."

"Honey, I didn't buy anything, honest. Maybe it's something from work." I let it slide until after dinner. While Monica did the dishes, I grabbed the package and opened it. It was from David Connors lawyer. It contained the original contract, which was stamped in red, Null and Void. I knew that, he didn't have to rub it in. I was just about to toss the whole package into the trash when I say the plain white envelope. I opened it and knew immediately it was from David's wife.

Dear Mr. Moore

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to contact you but as you can imagine, I've been a little busy. My husband was a good man and though he wasn't a saint, I know he's in heaven looking down on all of us. What you offered my husband, even though it was for the money for your family, shows me what kind of man you are. You were willing to literally risk everything for your family; that was something my David would, and did do, on more than one occasion.

I know your agreement wasn't completed, due to my David's untimely death. But I feel you deserve something for your willingness to save my dear husband's life. Enclosed is a check for fifty thousand dollars and I would like to offer you a full time position. My husband had many business interests and investments and I feel a man of your integrity will be invaluable in assisting me with making the day-to-day decisions that will need to be made. I would appreciate if you could contact me as soon as possible. I need to start my life again and would appreciate your help.

Yours Truly

Rebecca Connors

I finally took a breath, and read it again.

"Hon, who is it from? " Monica asked, when she saw what I assumed a strange look on my face. "Steve, just tell me it's not bad news. I don't think I could handle another bit of bad news at this time."

I pulled out the check, put it on the kitchen table in front of me, and leaned back in my chair. I closed my eyes. David, I know you can hear me. I'm really sorry you died; I was ready and willing to go through with our agreement. I guess I don't have to tell you, your wife has made good on our agreement and has thrown me, and my family, a lifeline. I will do everything in my power to show her she's made the right decision. If you every need anything, give me a sign, and it will be done. Again, it was a pleasure knowing you.

"Steve, you're scaring me. What's in that package?" Monica asked again, walking towards me as she dried her hands.

"A new life," I said looking at the check. "A new life for all of us."

And, it was.

Slirpuff
Slirpuff
4,299 Followers
12