Her Stolen Grace Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Of course, your grace," the young man nodded respectfully. Under the assumption there was nothing more, he bowed and turned to leave.

"And Talen," the resonant voice called, stopping him in his tracks, "when you go, you will make sure to make your presence known to the girl." Unfazed, the young man nodded, already aware that this was a part of the objective. Dipping into another low bow, he opened the door, revealing the cold night's air, and took his leave.

*****

The sounds of the servants' chatter could be heard from the balcony of the dining room. The young ladies watched as the soldiers below were discussing security matters with the King, who was seated at the head table.

As they sheared their corn, Amora turned her attention back to the group, asking no one in particular,

"What is Holly's Harvest?"

She heard Vareena scoff and ignored her rolling her eyes at Amora's query. Some of the other girls ignored her and continued with their separate conversations. The rest looked at each other quizzically, as if expecting another to answer. Finally Cecily, the elder of the young women, answered her.

"It's the changing of the seasons. A festival held to celebrate the goddess of agriculture's, Holly, descent to bless the lands with fertile crops. It is strictly a Jodellian holiday."

Amora nodded. Holly was a lesser goddess, not one of the main twelve, it would have made sense that many other nations didn't celebrate this holiday. Cecily lowered her voice and continued in her explanation.

"Each harvest, the King of Jodell invites monarchs from all over the continent, even the ones he's currently at war with."

"Why would he do that?" Amora questioned quietly, to her it did not make much sense. Cecily leaned back and shrugged, ripping the husk off another ear of corn.

"Not many people know. His advisors do, I'd bet. Or His Confidence. I suspect it's for mental warfare."

"Mental warfare?" Isabel piqued. Cecily looked at her and nodded.

"Yes. I think he invites his enemies to show them that no matter how close they think they are, they will never be able to defeat him."

They were all quiet for a moment, all of them looking down at the King who was speaking to a group of knights quietly.

"Of course," Cecily chirped with a bit more enthusiasm, "it's not just his enemies that are invited. His allies as well as many noble families all over the country. It's a grand occasion." Amora nodded as she cleared an ear of corn and tossed it into the basket.

Abruptly, a side door to the dining hall opened and a group of soldiers entered, followed by two women. One was dressed in a lavishly dark violet gown embroidered in gold. She was beautiful, with her light brown hair bouncing playfully against her back and shoulders. Another woman, a bit older and clearly her attendant, followed two steps behind her, hands clasped behind her back.

There was something familiar about the beautiful woman, that somehow made Amora uneasy. The group stopped a few feet from the King, who was still in deep conversation with the knights. The young woman looked up at the balcony full of servant girls and smiled kindly and all the women sitting above. Her eyes met with Amora's and a vivid memory flashed into Amora's mind as she recalled the two women from the day before. It was the same woman who had nodded to her from outside the castle.

"Who is that?" gasped Amora quietly, unable to mask her interest.

Sensing an opportunity, it was Vareena this time that answered.

"You don't know?" she sneered cattily, giving Amora a fake smile.

Ignoring it, Amora shook her head and waited for an explanation. Vareena's smile grew wider as she watched the progression of expressions on Amora's face.

"That is Penelope. Second Princess of Rhaska and betrothed of the King. She is to be our new Queen."

********************

Thank you to all who have supported this series and have been patient with me. Please let me know if you like this chapter! I already have 4 in the works, so do not worry. I will not give up on the story, no matter how long it takes!

I am thinking this will either be an eight or ten-part series, depending on how much of the story I decide to put into each chapter. I already have the ending mapped out (tear) but I promise, I will try my best to make it exciting. I am having a lot of fun writing this, so again, thank you so much for the love, patience, and support!

—I.D.