All Comments on 'High Street Drifter'

by mjexxx

Sort by:
  • 21 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
More than

a little disturbed and disturbing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Perhaps the wrong category?

I have no idea what the right one would be.

Sidney43Sidney43about 7 years ago

This was so hard to read, the vague references to a culture, my guess is British, the local idiom and code words. I think I know what happened, but had to guess at about half of it. Fiction noir I guess.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Man, somebody has issues.

Please, get some help.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
This is WTF

Not BTB for sure.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Loved it

loved the style, the hard callousness of the very unlikable protagonist. Gritty, real and dark. Keep it up.

ctd

tazz317tazz317about 7 years ago
I THINK THE INSANE ASYLUM IS MISSING A FEW GUESTS

and those remaining are not too far behind, TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
I understood one in three colloquialisms.

And none of the characters were engaging enough for me to like or dislike them. In the end, the story reminded me of reading Deuteronomy as a child, boring as fuck and you slogged through only because you had nothing better to do.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Sorry, but...

I didn't understand much of anything in this story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Too confusing. All over the place

# 2

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Get an editor - you REALLY need one.

This was a convoluted mess. Fuck this, fuck that, vomit here, piss over there. Very poorly written with no real flow to the story. Awful dialogue. Start over, try again.

1 star

gordo12gordo12about 7 years ago
REALLY bad

When you use slang it's always important to use variations that your readers will know. If it's local, 99% of your readers won't get it and tune out.

There were sentences left hanging, events left hanging. It's a real mess. 1*

I'm not even sure an editor could straighten this one out. I couldn't get past the first page.

kjohns2001kjohns2001about 7 years ago
A world of misery

A world of misery all wrapped up in one little story. A drug dealing murderer for hire of a PTSD suffering squaddie (slang for a British soldier). A drug addicted wreck of a man whose own wife has him killed, after paying to have his woman on the side killed. Then there is the wife. She pays to have someone killed, cheats on her husband with his killer and lives a wretched, miserable and desperate little life in general. A dark story. The slang may put off some readers, although pretty much all of it comes through due to context, but it does serve to set the stage for this modern tragedy. For myself there is not any light at all in this story, even Maxine and Paul's sexual relationship is so tainted and sordid that it holds no trace of redemption. They are just too broken to be salvageable in my opinion.

While obviously not for everyone this modern gothic mix of drugs, murder and broken lives does hold that same fascination of fatal car crashes and disasters that people can't tear themselves away from looking at, even as they tell themselves that they are not the kind of person who gives in to staring at such morbid scenes. I gave it five stars but do warn my fellow comments first readers that this one is not for the faint of heart or those seeking even a hint of light at the bottom of a very deep grave.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
1*

Nothing more needs to be said.

tennesseeredtennesseeredabout 7 years ago
Strong writing!

Lifting the lid and taking a peek into a sordid and depraved place. Not sexy at all, but that's the point.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Dear mjexxx

If this is the shit that runs through your mind on a regular basis - and I'm sure it does-

why are you still alive?

MattblackUKMattblackUKabout 7 years ago
Good, solid writing.

Gosh, they were all nasty people.

That's the point of the story.

I knew a nightclub doorman very similar to the character here. Eventually he killed himself by breaking his own neck, using a dog chain. Odd person.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Huh?

What was the point of this story? It tried very hard to belong to multiple categories, but with very bad writing.

26thNC26thNCover 5 years ago
Didn't

I didn't understand much of it. I think there was a murder for hire. Then some rough sex, and a finger with a wedding ring. Or something.

TatankaBillTatankaBillover 4 years ago
Yep.

Reads just like Ulysses, or Mrs. Dalloway. A valiant effort at that, but hard to get into. I did like the film noir touch, channeling Raymond Chandler or Elmore Leonard. Not especially erotic. I'm good for five stars just for the intelligence of the author.

moblanemoblaneover 4 years ago
What?

Read like a story written by a teenager, a poorly-educated and confused one at that!

A story can be many things but THIS is not it!

It was largely a group of phrases and random thoughts very unskillfully strung together with conjunctions. what a waste of time reading this stuff! I would rather have mowed the lawn!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous