Home Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Well, good morning, princess," he mocked. "Someone have a bit too much to drink last night?" Victoria just turned away from him.

"What the fuck are you doing here, Stiles?" she groaned testily. She could feel his eyes on her body, but ignored it.

"Just checkin' on ya, sweetheart. You've been actin' real shitty since you lost to your sis and-"

"I didn't lose!" she snapped, then regretted it instantly. The throbbing in her head intensified. "It was a temporary setback."

"Listen sugar tits, you lost here," Stiles smirked down at her. "She got the money, the house and the church is rebuilt. Ain't nothin' you can do now. Besides, she's not with the dude no more. That's somethin' you can take some pride in."

An idea popped into Victoria's head just then. A sly smile crept upon her lips.

"Eric," she started. "Where is my sister now?"

"Back home. But she just got an apartment here in the city. She's on her way back. Why?"

She waved his question away. "I'm going to need a few things from you Eric. I've got one hell of a homecoming in mind."

-----

Nate had just gotten out of the shower when he saw the green light flashing on top of his cell phone. He grabbed it and saw that he had two new voicemails. The first one was from Addison. He promptly deleted it without a second thought. The second was from Jane, reminding him of the fundraising party being held for Jane's Place and St. Michael's.

"Shit," he hissed.

He'd forgotten all about it. He went back to the bathroom and debated on whether or not to shave, and decided against it. He wouldn't be trying to impress anyone. He was just to make a contribution and support Jane. He grabbed a well-tailored suit from the back of his closet and got ready in a hurry. He drove to the party and sauntered in, not really feeling the "hello's" and "how-ya-doings" he was dishing out. A few women tried to get Nate's attention, but he made his disinterest clear. He was here for Jane. That's all. He found her near the bar, giggling over a drink with Matt. She looked beautiful in a purple flowing gown, her hair pinned up with a violet. Matt had an arm around her waist.

"Can you two get a room?" Nate joked when he walked up to them. Matt smirked and shook Nate's hand while Jane blushed and playfully slapped his chest.

"What a turn out, huh!" Jane chirped. They were glad to have been able to rent out such a nice dance hall. Nate had put out the word and the formal affair was filled with many potential donors.

"I'm glad," he said.

Jane watched Nate's disinterested eyes as he scanned the crowd. She was too ready for that look to disappear forever. Nate turned his back and ordered a Jack and coke from the bartender. Jane had noticed his rapidly increasing intake of alcohol too, but never commented on it. It did, however, worry her. The thought flitted away whenever she glanced across the room. A grin burst onto her face but she quickly removed it. Matt cast her a curious look. She just winked and turned back to Nate.

"You must really miss her," Jane said slyly.

Nate raised an eyebrow at her. "Are we starting this again Jane? She's gone. I'm not even thinking about her."

"Then how do you know who I'm even talking about?"

Nate took a long sip. "Because she's the only one you ever talk about."

"And if she was here right now? What would you say to her?" It was Jane's turn to arch a brow.

"She not here."

"But if she was?"

"She's not."

"If she was, Nathaniel?" Jane pressed.

Nate was losing his temper again. He turned to her. "I would tell her pretty ass to bend the fuck over," he growled. He knew he'd later have to apologize for being so vulgar with Jane, but right then, it felt good to get it out.

"Well, that's colorful."

The voice behind Nate struck him like a bolt from the blue. It couldn't be. He turned around and there stood Peyton Cavanaugh.

Nate's breath literally caught in his throat. She looked...exquisite. She had on a strapless navy blue silk gown that fell in soft layers to the ground. It was curve fitting and expanded at her knees. Her hair had grown and was now pinned up elegantly. Her bangs were longer and framing her face. She had silver drop earrings and a matching necklace. Her skin looked flawless. And she was standing just close enough for him to get a whiff of her vanilla body lotion.

He didn't realize how awestruck he was until she spoke again.

"Hello, Nate."

Nate forced himself to compose.

"Hello, P-Peyton," he straightened his back and cleared his throat. "I didn't know you were back in town."

Peyton smiled. "Just got in a few days ago."

Nate finally broke eye contact then. "You didn't call."

"No," Peyton was still looking up at him, seemingly impassive. "I didn't call."

This annoyed Nate. She was too relaxed, too sure of herself. Too sure of him. For the first time since she left, he felt anger towards her.

"Welcome back," he said coldly.

Peyton resisted the urge to flinch. She felt like a bottle rocket was going off inside her gut. She tried her hardest to keep her face uncaring, but her resolve was slipping. Nate had changed considerably in half a year. He seemed almost... frightening. His beard, slight scowl and dark eyes are what did it. He even seemed taller somehow. But damn if he didn't look dashing in his suit. His eyes bore into her, making her quiver inside. She didn't know whether with fear or pleasure. She swallowed, wanting him to see that she was nervous. Wanting him to see that he was indeed affecting her. And it worked. He softened immediately.

Jane was looking between them, almost brimming with glee. "Nate! Where are your manners? Offer the lady a drink!" Peyton looked at her and smiled. "And we'll leave you two to talk." Jane grabbed Matt's arm and shimmied away with him.

"Vodka-cranberry." Peyton said to Nate. He ordered her the drink and refreshed his own. Peyton was about to take a seat when Nate shook his head at her. He grabbed their drinks and started walking. Peyton trailed behind him, curiously. He lead her through the crowd and up a grand staircase. He turned left down a dark corridor and into a low lighted room. It looked to be an office of some kind. It was decorated richly with lush red hues coloring the furniture and carpet. There were books along the wall and a large wooden desk.

"Where? What? How?" Was all Peyton could manage as she entered.

"Um, well, my company built this building years ago. We hold events here sometimes. I brought you here so we could talk in private. 'That cover it?"

Peyton took her drink from him and sipped. "I guess so," she said slyly. Nate smiled. He was starting to like this new Peyton. He sat at the edge of the desk, sipping his drink and watching her as she pretended to explore the room. Her nervousness made him smile inside.

"So," he said finally, "What have you been up to Peyton?"

And so it begins. Peyton thought. She downed her drink and turned to him. She'd been waiting to explain to him, to tell him everything, about running, about being afraid, about her lonely life the last six months. But the words fell dead on her lips when her eyes met his. There was desire in his eyes. Lust so strong, it felt like a physical force, beckoning to her.

And she complied. She took one step after another until she was only about two inches away from him. She put down her empty glass. Nate did the same and the two just stared, drinking each other in.

"I missed you," Nate breathed, only slightly above a whispered. Peyton felt her throat tighten. She felt his fingertips caress the side of her arm. It was barely even a touch, but it caused goose flesh to emerge all over her skin.

"I missed you, too," she said, just as quietly.

Nate sighed and placed his hands on either side of her neck. Her attention was fully his now.

"Peyton, what I said that night - what I did - was all under stress. My mother had just died and the guilt was crushing me. But you must know, Peyton, you MUST know I didn't mean it."

His intense gave was burrowing into her.

"Nate, I-" Peyton started.

"Wait," he interrupted. "I want to get all this out now before the booze runs out and I lose my nerve. I know I can't expect anything from you. I chased you away so that's understandable. But I won't be able to go on unless you know that the last couple months of my life without you have been unbearable. I lost you and the world was lost to me. I hurt you. I promised I never would and I did. And that has plagued me every day since. So please hear me when I say, Peyton Cavanaugh, I am sorry. I am so sorry for ever having done anything to hurt you."

Peyton could see how true these words were. His eyes were blazing and his soft grip on her held firm. She almost felt like crying right then. She placed her hands on his and closed her eyes.

"I'm sorry, too, Nate," she said sheepishly. "I ran away like a coward and left you here to grieve alone. I never even said 'I'm sorry' about Adele. Which, by the way, I am. I am so sorry about your mother Nate."

Nate took a deep breath. "Thank you. Peyton, do you think we could maybe... start over? I know it may be a lot to ask but-"

"Yes!" Peyton said quickly. "A million times yes!" She smiled at him and he felt the ice melting within.

"But on one condition," she added. Nate's smile faltered a little. "Nate, I have an apartment nearby. And I'm looking for a job here in the city. I want to stay there. Not with you, like before. At least not yet."

Nate's face became firm and his grip on Peyton's neck slacked. Peyton grabbed his hands and kept them there. "Nate don't take this the wrong way. I want you, I do. But I'm finally enjoying making a home for myself. I want to try and build one on my own. All my life I've been either depending on someone or on the streets. I want to make something for myself, Nate. How can I make a life with you when I've only had a life of my own for six months?"

Nate swallowed. He knew that she may not want him back, but hearing it was like a bullet to his heart.

"Ok, Peyton," he said finally. "I'll leave to build your own life."

Peyton smiled. She ran a hand through his facial hair. "Nate, I want to be with you more than anything else in the world. I'm just asking that we go slowly. Date a little while longer before I'm shacking up with you."

"Slow?" Nate pondered the idea aloud. "I can do slow."

Peyton's smile widened and she threw herself into his arms. She wrapped her hands around his neck and felt relief and love consume her. Nate wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her tighter against his body. Holding her again was a weight off of Nate's chest. After six months of drowning, Peyton and Nate felt like they could finally breathe again.

"Peyton?" Nate said into her hair.

"Yes, Nate?" she said without letting him go.

"Will you go on a date with this Friday?"

Peyton's tears did spill then. "Of course."

----

Victoria took multiple deep breaths, but they did nothing for her. She was incredibly on edge and rightly so. Too many things could ruin this plan and ruin any last ditch effort she had to destroy Peyton. This had to work. After all the sleazy things she had to do to Stiles to get this to work, she wasn't about to let this go empty handed. She lifted her hand and rapped a soft knock on Nate's door. She looked down and painted on the most humble face she could muster. It was Thursday and a hot Thursday at that. But it was perfect temperature for what Victoria had planned. She tried knocking but nothing came. She gave it another go, a little louder this time, and after a few seconds, she heard very faint steps. Then nothing. What if he doesn't open the door?

But Nate did and was greeted by the sight of a disheveled looking Victoria. Her long dark mane was tied up behind her. She wore an ill fitted modest sweater and faded jeans. Her appearance was a drastic change from when he last saw her. No more overdone face, nails and obnoxious make up. High heels were replaced with cheap Skechers. Nevertheless, Nate stayed frowning at her.

"What do you want?" he gruffed.

"Um, well, I was hoping, uhm, maybe," Victoria stuttered shyly. "If maybe we could-?"

"I have nothing to say to you."

"It's about Peyton," she said quickly.

"Since when did you care about her?" Nate retorted.

"Since she left. I was wicked to her, I know. And because of that I lost a sister. I come to you now because I thought maybe you of all people would understand what it's like to lose her."

Nate thought about the month's he'd spent in cold loneliness and relented. But his guard was still up. Without another word he shifted to the side and allowed Victoria access.

Victoria slipped in, suppressing the creeping smile on her face. She turned and saw that Nate was eyeing her suspiciously.

"Hot day, isn't it?" she asked conversationally.

"Yup," Nate gave a curt reply.

"Can I maybe-sorta trouble you for a glass of water before I explain? I'm burning up."

"Then why are you wearing a sweater?" Nate asked as he headed to the kitchen. Victoria didn't answer, but watched him closely, pleading in her head. Please please please please please!

Her inner pleads paid off. Nate had gotten a glass for himself as well. Victoria realized then that she hadn't answered Nate's question.

"Oh, because I don't really have too much else to wear anymore. I had to sell most of clothes and this was one of my only clean tops."

Nate handed her a glass before draining half of his. "Hmph. Bad luck. What brings you here?"

"Well, it's just that, I- um, I think Peyton might have changed. For the worse, I mean."

"And how the hell would you know that?"

"I tried to get in contact with her via email but she was too busy and unwilling to talk to me."

"Can you blame her? You're not exactly her most supportive ally."

Victoria nodded. "I know that. But I've changed. And all I want is for her to see that." She looked up at him with big, tear-brimmed puppy dog eyes. "I fear I've fucked up too bad for her to believe me."

"Uh, I can't exactly help you with that Victoria. It's really up to Peyton. I've only seen her once - on Sunday. I mean I'll be seeing her tomorrow and I can mention you stopped by but not much else."

Victoria sighed sadly. She drained the rest of her water. "I understand. But may I ask for more water before I leave. I'm sorry to bother you like this."

"No problem," Nate said. While at his sink refilling her glass, Nate didn't see Victoria digging into her pocket and pulling something out.

He returned and handed the full glass to her.

"A toast?" She purposed. "To Peyton. May we rebuild burned bridges."

"Amen to that," Nate agreed and downed the rest of his water. Victoria stared and smiled as a glaze formed in his eyes. It was that smile Nate saw last before a dark fog overtook him and blackness consumed his world.

---

Peyton was first suspicious when she turned the knob and found Nate's front door open. She'd gotten a text from him twenty minutes ago, asking if she'd come over.

"why?" she'd replied.

"it's a surprise," he'd texted back.

Peyton had been so excited that she'd squealed and fallen over in her bed. She did have a mind to take things slower with Nate but the thought of a possible mid-day booty call with him quickly silenced her inhibitions. She'd closed her eyes and imagined his tongue first. Nate's talented tongue that sought her out in secret places. Nate's indecent tongue that pulled her to dark, pleasurable places. Places that she'd never dreamed of going before. Yes, she'd take it nice and slow with him. But not today.

Peyton had gotten ready quickly, decided on a very thin sundress and sandals. She'd didn't want to be wear much once she got there. But now, alarms were ringing in her head.

"Maybe he left the door open for me," she thought, trying to stay calm.

"Nate?" she called out, but there was no answer. She quietly crept, looking around his living room and into the kitchen to look for any signs of a disturbance. But as she saw how clean his home was, everything in place, her guard began to go down. But Nate was still nowhere in sight and there was nothing to indicate where he had gone.

"Nate??" she called out again, but still nothing. She chewed on her bottom lip as she debated whether or not to check upstairs for him. The thought of being intrusive seemed ridiculous since she'd lived her for months but it still seemed like a violation of some kind. Peyton grit her teeth and ascended Nate's staircase. She called his name out once she reached the top but again heard nothing. His bedroom door was slightly ajar. Warning bells rang in Peyton's head but she trudged forward. The moment she entered the room, however, she wished she had listened to them. For there lied Victoria and Nate, naked as the day they were born, in an intimate embrace. Nate's eyes were closed and he had one hand around a very naked Victoria and one splayed across his abdomen. Victoria's leg was draped across Nate's sleeping form. Her heavy breasts were pressed against his ribs. Not even a sheet to indicate some modesty, Nate and Victoria were holding one and another and the room had a smell. An aroma of sex about it that hit Peyton like a ton of bricks. She stood there for what seemed like an eternity, taking it all in. Instead of looking away, she couldn't help but stare horrified, her mind etching in every last detail, from Victoria's disheveled hair, to Nate's cock peeking out from underneath her thigh. Nate's soft snores and Victoria's breathing were the only sounds in the room. Peyton had stopped breathing. She only stood. She waited for it to disappear, for this horrifying mirage to fade and show Nate in that bed alone, waiting for her. But it didn't. The whole thing was all too real and was made even more real by a stirring Victoria. Her long fake eyelashes began to flutter. She groaned and moved to nuzzle her face into Nate's neck. He let out a faint murmur. Peyton felt the wetness begin to build in the lower rim of her eyes.

"Nate?" she whispered faintly. It was a quiet sound but it was just loud enough to rouse Victoria, who opened her eyes and feigned astonishment.

"Peyton!" she gasped in an exaggerated tone. "Oh, Peyton, honey. No! We didn't want you to find out like this!" Victoria was making a show of gathering the sheet to hide her stark nakedness. Nate began to stir at the mention of Peyton's name.

"Peyton?" he groaned foggily. He tried to sit up but the haze in his head was still thick and it was hard to comprehend anything around him. Nate dug the heel of his palm into his eyes and shook his head, trying to clear away the confusion.

"Peyton's here?" he asked, more to himself. His vision began to clear. He looked across from himself at the door and saw the silhouette of Peyton turning to leave. He looked to his left to see where the voice he'd heard was coming from and saw Victoria shoving on a thong.

"What the fuck?" he muttered.

She looked at him frantically. "Nathaniel, get up!" she said urgently. "Peyton just caught us. We have to explain to her now. Tell her everything about us."

"What the hell are you talking about? What's going on? Where's Peyton going?" The foggy confusion was overcoming Nate again and his head was throbbing badly. He tried to sit up and realized then that he was naked. The realization of what Peyton had just walked in on dawned on him then. A wave of nausea hit him. His dizziness was stifling and only got worse when he tried to stand. His knees buckled immediately and Nate fell back on the bed.

"Victoria, what is going on?"

But Victoria was too busy to answer. She was at the stairs, listening as Peyton's car drove off. She let out an ear splitting cackle that caused Nate to wince. He wanted to yell at her but the nausea and dizziness were stifling.