All Comments on 'Homelands Pt. 04 Ch. 01'

by jdnunyer

Sort by:
  • 11 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
Kind of an abrupt ending;

otherwise, potentially great. Shifting POV makes it hard to root for any one of these folks though.

jdnunyerjdnunyerabout 12 years agoAuthor

Hey, Anon.

Thanks for the feedback. You're right. Looking back, I could have ended the chapter more gracefully.

I hope that as the story continues, you find it easier to root for some of the characters, and find the multiple POVs less distracting.

Just FYI, there will be a new chapter appearing every day from now until Thursday, when Part Four will conclude.

Best,

JD

guan818guan818about 12 years ago
excuse me!

What does POV stand for, please?

jdnunyerjdnunyerabout 12 years agoAuthor

Hi Guan.

Good question. I shouldn't have assumed that everyone would know what that means.

POV is short for "point of view", as in the perspective from which the story is told.

First person POV stories are those where the narrator is also the main character, and it's as if they are speaking directly to the reader. The first three parts of this series were written in first person, from Frank's POV. Third person POV stories are told by a narrator who is not actually a character in the story. Sometimes the narrator is aware of everything that is going on (that's called third person omniscient). Sometimes the narrator is privy to the thoughts and feelings of just one character (third person limited). That's what I've switched to. Within any given scene, we only have access to the thoughts of one character, but there are six characters whose perspectives we'll sometimes share: Eric, Nick, Patty, Veronica, Gabriela, and Kurt.

I hope that clears it up!

JD

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
Excellent, Yet Once Again!

JD: I was a little upset when you brought the last series to a close. You had just gotten Mom and Son working on a baby which is, in my world anyway, a very positive way for mothers and sons to while away every bit of their free time. I was hoping for several more chapters of continuous, belly slapping, baby-making mom-son couplings. However, I have just now finished this new story and have found it to be a worthy successor to the previous series. The narration had totally captivated me by the second page and I am now securely enmeshed in this new rendition of a great, continuing saga, hopping from one foot to the other waiting for the next chapter. I can now see the wisdom in closing the previous series at the time you did. The ability to recognize the proper time to stop is one of the marks of a great writer and I doubt anyone would deny you that distinction.

I do not think that you closed the chapter too abruptly. You left the reader hanging in pleasurable anticipation of the next chapter. Very, very excellent! AnHoa Rifleman. PS: Glad to see you back after so long. AHR

jdnunyerjdnunyerabout 12 years agoAuthor

Hey AnHoa Rifleman. Good to hear from you.

Thanks, as always, for the kind words. They are much appreciated. It's really reassuring to see loyal readers such as yourself remain interested, despite the change.

jdnunyerjdnunyerabout 12 years agoAuthor

Btw, just to be clear, we haven't hear the last of Frank and Ellen.

The plan is to tell four separate stories, then one that ties them all together. First Autumn (parts 1, 2, and 3), then Summer (parts 4, 5, and 6), then Spring (7, 8, and 9), then Winter (10, 11, and 12). Each will reach something of a conclusion, but will also end just as the connection to the broader plot line becomes clear. The final three parts (13, 14, and 15) will then deal with the bigger picture, and will finish the stories of all the characters we'll have met along the way.

So it will be a while before we see them again, but we *will* see them again. :)

LA213LA213about 12 years ago
Great work =)

Tbh, I only kept reading this because I thought you put another potion to eraze Franks memory again and make it more twisted, so they wouldn't remember who they really where. Pluse I thought Hank was another word for sayin Frank ...lol:P

jdnunyerjdnunyerabout 12 years agoAuthor

Wasn't trying to trick anyone, LA. Hope you find it worth continuing to read even though we won't be seeing Frank again for a while...

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
new fam new start

i like the change in dynamic seldom do you see a two women as the head of a house hold in any media

also please forgive that i comment on the chapters as i read them i know some things i mention are answered in the very next chapter after i post i but i like to give feed back and encouragement while it is fresh in my mind

observation. this was a good point why are the echo worlds democracy s only to throw people into tyrannical feudalism seems like you'd want to get them used to the idea of bending the knee

jdnunyerjdnunyeralmost 12 years agoAuthor

Thanks as ever for the feedback, anon.

No need to apologize for commenting as you read. I find it useful to know what you're thinking along the way.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userjdnunyer@jdnunyer
In the spring of 2020, I began working on what I hope will be the final, and best, version of Autumn, with reworks of Summer, Spring, and Winter potentially to follow. Progress has been intermittent but continues. When I'm finally ready to share it, I'll do so on a new account...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES