Hornet's Nest Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I was incredibly bored. Even David was browsing through some random shit on his laptop. My swinging foot kicked a leg of his chair. His eyes glanced down, then back to the screen.

I thought it'd be a good idea to do it again. I was like an attention-seeking little kid. Please look at me. I've been seeing the side of your face for weeks. I want you to look at me.

Kick. Kick. Kick.

My foot missed the chair leg and hit his shoe. A smirk was spreading at the corner of his mouth. He kicked back.

Kick.

Kicked back.

Kick.

He suddenly chuckled and his head snapped around. "What?"

"Lover birds," the professor scolded again.

Sweet Jesus. Maybe if David's laugh wasn't like this loud guffaw. Maybe if his whole voice wasn't just, so... gruff.

The end of that class couldn't come fast enough.

---

David

I was amazed that I wasn't feeling any nerves. It was more like relief, that this was finally happening. Some thick ice had broken and it was calm waters beneath.

I was behind her as we waited to file out the room, barely an inch between her back and my front. The top of her head was level with my chin. There was some faint scent from her hair - maybe a shampoo, or some perfume. I didn't know. It just smelt nice.

My chest touched her back. She sort of slithered away from me, tossing a glance over her shoulder, and re-adjusted the strap of her laptop bag.

We walked in silence. She seemed to want distance from anyone in our class, from anyone at all. She moved through the corridors and down the stairs with a determined speed, forcing people out of her way. She didn't even look at me until we were in the chilled air outside.

"So what do you want to know?" she asked, digging her hands into the pockets of her leather biker jacket. Our walk slowed to little more than a dawdle.

"Why did you climb up a building in the high street?"

She grinned. "I told you."

"Yeah but-"

"Lots of people do it."

"Can't say I've seen it."

"Then you've not known the right people."

"Yeah," I said. "Gang kids?"

She scowled at me.

"Wes told me you were one," I continued.

"Wes can go fuck himself. I told him I'm not."

"But you used to be?"

There was something dangerous to the way her eyelids flicked. Her lips were tight. It was difficult to hold her narrowed gaze.

"I'm not in some shitty gang," she said, tone flat.

We both fell silent for a few seconds. I wasn't sure where on campus we were heading, we were moving without any particular direction. Maybe some nerves were actually starting now.

"Why were those guys chasing you?"

She sighed, and stopped. One hand left a pocket to adjust the strap across her front again. "I wish you hadn't seen me there. Anything, other than this, might have made a better first conversation."

"Sorry?"

"How badly are you thinking of me right now?"

"What? I'm not thinking badly of you."

"Bullshit."

Fuck me. This was going well. "I'm not making any judgements until I hear things from your mouth."

"Right, okay. And tell me why I should tell you anything?"

I just stood there, trying to think of what to say. Various things went through my mind. We've been staring across the room for two weeks. I like you. Do you like me?

"... I'm curious."

She chuckled. "Okay."

I shrugged hopelessly. "And I'll tell you about me?"

"That might not be a fair trade."

"What, you don't think I'm interesting?"

Her gaze flicked up and down me. She smirked and her eyes narrowed in a different way. My breath caught in my throat. Shit. I wanted to start blathering things. Could I just confess a massive crush to her face?

"You're different to Wesley," she said.

"Yeah, I guess."

"You're kinda cute."

I swallowed. My ears felt hot.

"Okay," she started. "So you wanna know? I was running from those guys because I stole something from them."

"Right."

"Nine ounces of weed, from their car. It wasn't theirs, and I was returning it to its rightful owner."

My head automatically nodded, even though I didn't feel as though her words were sinking in.

"They're from a street gang in this town. I don't know how big they are, but it's big enough, while also not being enough for me to have heard of them before."

"So you're a dealer."

"No. I know dealers."

"You get Wes weed."

"Because he's too pussy to go himself."

My face muscles were stiff, I hoped my expression was blank. She started walking again, I joined her.

"You're in shit with this gang?" I asked.

"Nah. They're in shit with who they stole from. They're not gonna have time to worry about me."

Wow. Just wow. This girl, she was from another world. Completely nonchalant, yet feral. Alarm bells were going.

Alarm bells were exciting.

She paused to look about the surroundings. "So, you want nothing to do with me?"

"No, I mean-" God, this was so fucking awkward. My mouth was working faster than my mind, and I was having to concentrate on not saying something stupid.

Her next expression was hard to read. Her voice was a little quieter and she looked me right in the eye. "I'm moving on from these things. Or at least, I'm trying to. I mean, I got into uni." She gave a sheepish grin. "It's kind of a big deal for me."

And now it was even worse. She was terrifying and cute at the same time. She was everything I shouldn't have and everything I wanted, bundled up in one perfect package.

I'm saying this in hindsight. At the time, I had no understanding of my feelings, except that it was making it hard for me to talk.

I couldn't say anything because I had no idea what to say. I just sort of... smiled.

She was better at conversation than me, even though she stood there looking lost for a moment. We'd hit a rut so she moved it on.

"Where do you stay? With Wes?"

"Yeah, we're flatmates. Some of the provided housing off campus."

"Okay. I have a room on campus."

"In halls? Where?"

She gave an arm wave in some direction. "Over there. Wes knows. Ask him." Her eyes met mine again. "I have to go. I have things to do."

"Okay, sure."

She might have been lying, just trying to get away. I didn't know. With a pretty awkward parting she headed left while I went right. Damn it. Did I get an A for effort, at least?

Amongst all the swirling feelings, there had been an unpleasant pang again, when she mentioned Wes. It was at least the second time I'd felt it, the first being back in the high street. It was like Wesley was a threat or something, like my brother was a risk of competition over this girl.

I never wanted to butt heads with Wes like that.

---

Violet

A simple smile had thrown me off.

I had expected a little more shit from him. He could be brash. Everything about his mannerisms was brash. I thought he'd be more of an arsehole, someone who needed some softening up. Apparently not.

There was something innocent and naive about him, but I liked that. I don't think he ever tried, or meant to be rude. He was just one of those people who was a little blunt, down to earth, no nonsense. I liked that too.

He didn't know how to talk circles like Wesley could. I didn't think he was even capable of lying.

The smile said that he accepted me. That easily. I didn't have to try and defend myself, spend a while bullshitting, pitching my life, painting a picture of how I wanted it to be received.

This was a breath of fresh air.

*

Hormones were playing up.

My phone buzzed with a message while I was concentrating on my laptop screen. Fucking great, now I was out of it. It only took the slightest distraction. Porn was so boring, constrained by rules and regulations. Unlike the real thing. I heard it used to be better 'back in the day'.

I closed the laptop and pulled the headphones off, rolled onto my back on the bed, and slid my fingers beneath my jeans to the familiar slick feeling at my crotch.

Phone buzzed again.

Fuck off.

I angled my hips slightly while I started to rub. It always felt better with my stomach tensed.

Another vibration, another message. Then again. And again... And again.

I considered holding the damn thing to my clit if they were going to be so persistent. I was finally feeling something from my fingers when it started to buzz differently. They were calling me.

I grabbed the phone with my free hand, saw Romain's name, and flicked my thumb to answer it.

"Let me wank in peace," I growled, and hung up into his laughter.

He still kept messaging. I chuckled to myself but ignored it.

If I was so desperate for release, why was it taking so long? I switched techniques, grinding my hips into my hand, holding still and letting my fingers do the work. Finally gave in and let my thoughts wander to David.

I pictured how he'd look between my thighs, running his tongue over me, gazing up from beneath those lashes. Shit. Yes, this was doing something. I hoped his horny eyes looked as good in reality as I imagined in my mind.

The climax struck faster than I expected. I pressed onto my clit, trying to draw out each pulsing convulsion in my crotch. Fuck, yes. It was a good one. I let the moan rip out of my throat, collapsed back against the pillow with a grin. Yeah. Thanks David.

I wiped my fingers off on my shirt and checked my phone, Romain's string of messages.

"When?

Girl.

Girlie.

Purple flower.

You comin over here?
Vi.

Yeah, flick that bean girl.

Does this help?"

He'd been so kind to send one of his many dick pics. I snorted and deleted it without blinking.

"Bit small," I typed in reply.

"Girl. You wan see me?"

"Yeah."

"K. You comin here?"

"Yeah, give 20."

"K."

I changed into suitable running clothes, and dry knickers. With the dropping temperatures, gloves would be a good idea, perhaps a scarf, too. I wrapped one around my neck, locked my room's door, and left the building to hit the dark streets outside. I lifted a scarf coil to cover half my face and pulled up my hood. Jogged to warm up, then I was off.

People not understanding what I did was actually normal. David's confused frown was familiar. It was about getting from one place to another, as fast as possible. Why should I spend money on public transport, when I could get where I needed to go, twice as fast as any bus, with my own hands and feet? It was simply a bonus to be acrobatic and near uncatchable.

It wasn't as uncommon as people thought. I'd only started doing it because I'd seen others do it.

It was fast. It was free. It was exhilirating.

I wasn't bullshitting Romain when I said I'd be across town in twenty minutes. With perfect breathing I could go forever.

I slowed around a corner, took a turn into an alley. The club wouldn't be open tonight, but the owners were always there. I hammered my fist on the metal fire escape door. Waited. Hammered again.

It opened with the clank of the bar inside. I pulled my hood and scarf down. The guy glanced around my features and nodded at me.

"Aight, Vi." He stepped back and hollered inside. "Romain!"

It was always stuffy inside. Always smelt like sweat. I went through the back rooms while Romain was on his way from the opposite direction. We came across each other and he held his arms out in greeting.

"Heyyy," he drawled, grabbed my hand, and slapped my shoulder.

I loved him for being a stereotype. Tall, dark skinned, dreads for hair. Thought cannabis was God's gift to the world - 'This war would be over if everyone rolled a joint, sat down, and chilled the fuck out.'

"What you need, girl?"

"A shit ton, for this weekend."

He laughed. "Yeah, you need the peng. What's happening?"

"There's some big party at the park."

"The one ten minutes from the uni?"

"Yeah."

"Define a 'shit ton', Vi."

I discussed the details with him while he sat down and rolled one. I watched his fingers sprinkling tobacco and cannabis, rolling and tucking, giving it quick a lick, smoothing it, lighting it up. He always took care, made it look nice. He offered me a drag but I shook my head. I liked to be alert.

"Oh yeah," he said, reaching into a pocket. He handed me £100 in cash. "This is for you."

I flicked through the notes. "Generous."

"Yeah, boss thanks you. Clean job." He took a drag and exhaled deeply. It was mostly a sigh. "Keep away from the south side for a bit. Gonna be turf war. Dumb shit."

"Don't have any reason to be down there, anyways. I'm pretty busy."

He grinned. "How's uni goin'?"

"Good." I perched on the table. "Honestly, it's a bit weird."

"Why?"

"These rich kids. They want to do all the same shit poor ones do. Like they think it's cool, or something."

"Kids are kids wherever you go, Vi."

"Yeah, I guess."

He waved a hand at the air. "This society. The way they try to split us. It's bullshit. Government does it to control. People's people. We're all the same."

"Yeah, okay Romain. Lemme get my tinfoil hat."

"Hey."

"Economy naturally splits people."

"And gov keeps it that way."

"Yeah, okay. Fuck the system."

He chuckled. "You jus' keep comin' if you need anything. Gets you friends, huh?"

"I wouldn't call these people friends."

"Smart girl." He took another drag. "What's all this wanking about? You havin' trouble getting some love?"

"I'm all good. I got my eyes on someone."

"Oh, I see. Well, if that doesn't work out, you know where I am."

I snorted. "Nice try."

"Damn." He stubbed out the remains of his joint. "I'm outta town next weekend. Shall I say hi to Mum and Dad for ya?"

"Was hoping I'd be seeing them before you did."

"You's busy, girl."

He made me go over the park party's details with him again before I left, then I was back into the chill outside, pulling my hood up.

I liked Romain. I think it's impossible to dislike someone who's calm and good-natured. But he was someone I'd learnt things from, and moved on from.

I was moving up.

---

David

We sat together again next physics class. Even if I'd been thinking of sitting somewhere else, I had no choice, as Violet beamed the moment she spotted me and patted the empty seat beside her.

Damn. It was like sunshine was breaking through her usual overcast demeanour.

We received a few glances from other students. I didn't blame them. There was obviously something going on there. She was flirting - even I wasn't dense enough to miss that. She'd been flirting ever since she'd started with those big blue eyes across the room.

I was perfectly aware by now that she was into me, I just I hoped I was doing enough to return it, that she knew I was into her, too.

Guess I was over-thinking it. I think we had a painfully obvious blossoming romance going on. I mean, even the professor noticed on the first day of labs.

I kept it to myself, though. Wesley knew I had made the move to talk to her, that the ice was broken, that we were friendly now. But I hadn't really talked to him about my feelings. I'm sure he was busy piecing it together by himself.

*

Flatmates were being their usual selves, but nothing new had flared up since the dishwasher incident. There had actually been some nice conversations, some funny moments. Bonding, I guess. When you're sharing living spaces you just have to be on relatively good terms, or it's unbearable.

There was talk all about campus, about the upcoming weekend. Something happening in the park. An acquaintance in biology told me it was the town's tradition. There was an area in the park where the council hosted a massive bonfire and fireworks display for Guy Fawkes Night.

Sometimes, people liked to use it for whatever reasons all year round.

I didn't know what the reason was for this party. All I knew was that there was going to be a bonfire, hundreds of students were going, and it was a big deal.

So, of course, Wesley was in on it. Every flatmate was in on it, even Claire. Everybody was going.

It was starting Friday night, and if the police didn't get pissed off, it would continue throughout Saturday.

I was late out of chemistry labs that Friday. It was already dark. When I got in, everybody was getting ready to go out. Wesley shoved a plate of microwave-heated pasta into my hands - I retreated to my room and tried to juggle eating and changing while people thudded up and down the hallway.

"Dress warm," I heard Wes saying. "Forecast says it's gonna get cold."

How cold? Would there be lots of standing around? Would I need two pairs of socks? Eh, whatever. Jeans, shirt, hoodie, jacket. And a scarf. That would do.

We left onto the streets in a pack of eight. There was a nip in the air, but it wasn't too bad. There were others on the pavements, heading the same direction as us. I wondered if these parties were something the town locals loathed.

"You got any?" I heard Adrian ask Wes.

"We get some there," he replied.

It's not like a party-goer could get lost. The bonfire was obvious from miles away - the smoke rose above buildings, the glow could be seen against the night sky. The park was swarming, perhaps busier than any normal sunny day. The crowds gathered in the firelight on the open grass field, far away from the playground. A small stretch of woodland surrounded it.

It was a huge park. It was nice. The atmosphere was actually pretty nice.

There was music playing. There looked to be people selling drinks for anyone who hadn't brought their own. It was some sort of student party, and I wondered if it was council organised after all. It just didn't look some wild, booze and drug filled street fest.

We headed towards the fire and stood there for a bit. Then our group split in half - I found somewhere to sit with Wes, Melissa, and Adrian, while the other four disappeared somewhere else.

There was a crackle of the bags and Mel offered me a can of beer. I shook my head.

I suppose it was just thirty minutes of sitting in the heat and light of the bonfire, talking in slightly raised voices over all the noise. There were passing acquaintances. The crowds were full of people recognising each other from university. First years, second years, third years...

At the sound of a motorbike, Wesley's head turned. I noticed a few others reacting, too. The weed had arrived.

It was a nice looking, lime green motorbike. I almost choked on laughter. Was the colour supposed to be a sign? It pulled up on the grass, slowly and carefully steering around with rumbling engine. There were two figures on it, faces obscured by helmets. It stopped at the edge of the crowds, quite near us.

Slowly, subtly, people in 'the know' drifted towards it.

The girl on the back swung her leg over and hopped off. She pulled the helmet from her head and ran a hand through her hair.

I got butterflies. Fuck. It was Violet. Of course it was. Stupid me.

The guy stayed sitting on the bike, but also pulled off his helmet. I had that unpleasant pang again, wondering who he was. The dealer, obviously. But anything else? Come on, she wouldn't have been flirting with me if-

Stop, idiot. Over-thinking and fretting.

The crowd that surrounded the bike was so casual, so discreet, I was actually impressed. But it was starting to block my view of Vi.

The dealer got up, and he towered. Ridiculously tall. When I say ridiculously, I mean someone taller than my dad. He gave generous, bobbing nods of his head, and grinned a lot. Cool and relaxed with everybody. Such a stoner.

Wesley got to his feet and I decided to join him. He tossed me a smirk. Yeah, Violet, man. Duh.

The dealer was greeting people like they were long friends, slapping and gripping their shoulders with his left hand, offering a shake with his right. He slipped the little sealy bags into their fingers with the handshake. Something similar was happening with Violet, but people were slipping her the money.