Hot Days and Hotter Nights Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You make a very lovely bride," she whispered affectionately to Sena as the two of them sat down at the head of the banquet hall. They shared the table with the other recently-married couple, and servants waited on them as needed. The other members of the clan sat at tables scattered around the room, many of them near the high table. Other guests made up of those invited in advance, not knowing who might be married that day. Some of them understandably expressed surprise at the union of Salamacia and Sena, but were tactful enough to not be loud about it.

Two banners hung behind the high table, the red and gold dragon of House Aracon and the silver and blue kraken of House Teuthi.

The cuisine was a mixture of dishes that both families favored. It did not surprise her that there were several seafood dishes here, but the Teuthians also grew select vegetables that did relatively well on the Silver Islands, so there was a green that reminded her of onion, and carrot, and some of the most succulent radishes she'd ever tasted in a salad. Portions of fish were served, seared well and served with brown rice that had been cooked with several herbs and minced vegetables. Not quite spicy, but Salamacia found it surprisingly pleasant. Some kind of mashed potatoes, she was certain of it and the flavor was close enough, but then there were flavors new to her, since the potatoes had been spiced according to an old Teuthian recipe. There was a sort of fruit custard, served in a small cup, after several courses to refresh the palate.

Then there were of course dishes favored in the Southland. Little fruit pies. Chicken marinated in herbs and spices and cooked over the grills by skilled Fire Adepts and chefs. A light yet savory and spicy lemon twist soup. Loaves of herbed bread with cheese baked into the top of it, that could be eaten with the soup or cut into slices to make sandwiches out of the chicken. The bread could also be dipped in the spicy tomato sauce that the Southland was known for cultivating over centuries into various recipes that had been adopted by other areas in the Ninelands. Vegetable and beef kebabs.

She didn't partake in all of the dishes - she doubted even the hungriest person would have - she did try a good amount of the dishes even if just a few bites of each, and had thoroughly enjoyed herself. She looked over at her bride, holding back a frown of disappointment. The only thing that Sena had eaten was a serving of the fish and rice, picking at it and taking small bites.

"You should eat more. Life is meant to be enjoyed, have something sweet. Have some of my pie." She'd cut her fruit pie into several wedges for easier consumption, and placed one piece on Sena's plate.

"I am not very hungry," Sena said as she looked down at the pie as if not knowing what it was.

"At least have some water, then. Please. I would be a poor groom if I let you starve," she half-joked. Sena briefly nodded and took several swallows of the water before turning to her wine. The Aracon family had brought over many casks of their wine, along with some signature Southland spirits like Gold Dragon and Misty Palms. If there was one thing among men that was universal, it was alcohol. The men from the Sothlands seemed more relaxed now as they celebrated a happy occasion, and for many of them, the Teuthi were now kinsfolk, doubly so through two marriage ties.

The Southland beverages were foreign to many a palate here on Tentacle Island, but alcohol was alcohol, and many men ventured to broaden their palates. She could see why, the beer that the island brewed had a reasonable amount of alcohol in it, but it had a flavor she did not care for.

After the feasting came the dancing. Like everything else here, it was more austere. Were these people always so solemn, Salamacia thought to herself as she took her bride out onto the floor after Lian and Tsune started dancing. She took the male role in the dance, and though Sena didn't want to dance, she grudgingly complied. Salamacia already had a basic working knowledge of traditional Teuthian dance from the couple of banquets and feasts that had been hosted while she'd been here. After the dancing, she had some more wine, and was gratified to see that Sena took a few mouthfuls of it.

In the Southlands and much of the Ninelands, there were certain wedding customs that the groom, bride, or guests might participate in, and it varied by province, but much of it was the same.

One was ribald teasing of the new couple, and bawdy jokes and songs to give them "ideas" for their wedding night. She remembered one ceremony she'd been to a few years ago for a cousin, and several sex toys had been given to them as gifts. Everyone laughed, since such things had been given in good humor, and the Aracon clan viewed sex as something healthy and normal, to be open about, as did much of the Southlands, for that matter.

There was none of that here. The representatives and members of Aracon made a few jokes, but this was not picked up on by their hosts. She knew that her uncle and Moneo had discussed various aspects of the wedding beforehand and how to successfully conduct a ceremony and reception for two differing cultures, and wondered what Riho had said or even thought when Moneo informed him that there was "none of that" at a Silver Islands wedding.

Several of the men started to overindulge in beer or wine - was there ever an occasion when this didn't happen - and the reception started to peter out. Several people were leaving, and the servants were starting to clear away plates and food scraps so the remaining guests could still drink and talk. Lian and Tsune were quick to excuse themselves, and were dismissed with a blessing from Moneo and a light joke from Riho.

She saw Sena finish a glass of wine. "I think perhaps it is time for us to take our own leave. Our cousins have already made their departure, and I believe we have paid the guests enough lip service, don't you?" she asked with a small smirk. Sena set down the glass and looked up at her.

"Please, this is your wedding night. Don't look so unhappy, I will treat you well and I think you might be more pleased with this union than you might expect," she added in a softer, more wheedling tone. After a moment, Sena took her hand, and Salamacia thrilled at the feel of it in hers as she led her bride away, eager to consummate their union.

12