All Comments on 'Hot for Teacher Ch. 11'

by watchdwag

Sort by:
  • 6 Comments
PuggyWishbonePuggyWishboneabout 13 years ago
Tough Love

I really enjoy your stories. In general, they're quite well-written and the storylines are unfailingly steamy. I like them enough to tell you that a little bit of work on your part could make them so much better.

One quick example: A writer needs to be very careful that the meaning conveyed by his or her words matches their intended meaning, and that means being certain of what each word means in the context in which it's placed. It's so easy to distract a reader (and destroy the reader's enjoyment of the story) with even a single misused word that a writer must be vigilant and relentless in proofreading. Mean what you say and make sure your words say what you mean.

One such misused word appeared in this story. Just one, but I can tell you that when I saw it, it was so jarring and distracting that I honestly can't tell you a single detail from the remainder of the page and the story lost me for good. Here it is:

"Taylor slapped her ass again leaving a very legible handprint which formed on her cheek."

Pretty hot, huh? That is, unless your reader knows what the word 'legible' means and begins to wonder how in hell a handprint resulting from a spank could possibly have that quality. I mean, the word means "clearly readable, as in handwriting", so that means Taylor had some kind of ... um ... raised lettering on her hand that left a readable impression on Michelle's ass? That's kind of odd. What did it say?

The thing is, I'm quite sure I know what you meant (you simply meant that the handprint was clearly visible), but I couldn't tear my mind from speculation about what you actually said, because the word you unwisely chose has a very specific meaning and it doesn't match what you were trying to convey. 'Legible' doesn't simply mean 'clearly visible'; it means 'able to be read' and it always, without exception, refers to some kind of writing. If you had already established that the slap was meant to convey some kind of message, the word might have been a good fit, but you hadn't.

My momma always told me that people don't know what you mean, they only know what you say. It was good advice. If you want to be understood, if you want your readers to focus their attention on the story as you unfold it, always be careful to say what you mean.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
Great story

Love the link to the seducing the babysitter series. Look forward to the next chapter.

watchdwagwatchdwagabout 13 years agoAuthor
To Puggy from Watchdwag

First thank you and everyone else who takes time to read my stories. I have fun with them and this has one chapter and its conclusion left. Also thanks to everyone who comments whether you like them or not. Hell, I'm just glad you read them and hopefully more than a few find them erotic.

Puggy, I'm sorry you had such a difficult time with a choice of a word. Words can be tough and you're right people can get hung up on them. Obviously you did, I chose the word legible when I spoke of the handprint on the ass because to me and the dictionary the adjective also conveys the meaning of being "capable of being discerned or distinguished."

Given the reader is always right, your point is well taken. I should have been clearer. Some folks might think when I use the word for example "pussy", I mean a little tomcat or a weak knee little bastard when in essence we both know I mean a dripping, tasty, vagina. But I could use the word cunt, snatch, box, or honey pot. But in most cases I just go with pussy.

I will try to choose my words more carefully next time. Thanks for pointing it out.

Affectionately yours,

Watchdwag

warriorpoet7532warriorpoet7532almost 13 years ago
A good bridge to the end

I really like this chapter (as I did all the others) and it serves as a nice example of Michelle's evolution into a confident lesbian lover. She seems to be primed to do what she needs to do for Lisa (seduce a straight girl) or so Michelle thinks.

I personally didn't have any trouble with you using the word "legible", I knew what you meant as well as said but constructive criticism is always a good thing.

Keep up the great work and the end should be fantastic.

Pat2610Pat2610over 3 years ago

As a bi sexual witch I love a woman sitting on my face as my sister ducks me with her strap on

kbone1kbone16 months ago

I loved how Taylor and Kat fit into this story! I can't wait for Denise to leave her life style to this also

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous