All Comments on 'House of Cards Ch. 08'

by ohio

Sort by:
  • 104 Comments (Page 2)
AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

KiwiHunter is right. But that aside, Tom is just a little too pathetic to be a likeable character.

Perhaps more importantly, these stories are not about the majority of men, because their wives/partners wouldn't cheat on them. No one wants to read about the average nobody.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Mutual Healing. What Serendipity for professional engineering seminar. Just what the doctor ordered, doing instinctively what therapy would help.

Consequences of infidelity is angst and anger.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

He needed the sex with another woman. His wife had an emotional and physical affair for almost a year. She can spin the healer angle all she wants, "I lied to protect you".

No, she protected herself. If she was all about protecting him, she would have ended the affair the first time he confronted her. What she actually did was gaslight him. By "protecting" him, she called him a liar, called him silly, and feigned anger at his accusations. And that hurts. It hurts a lot. And she did it multiple times. She hurt him multiple times with gaslighting. Let's forget about the betrayals. Using love and past trust to make your partner feel stupid, crazy, jealous over very normal suspicions is very wrong.

So she's a silly cow and needs to feel the pain of being left for a younger model to understand basic empathy. Not even sympathy, just empathy. I'm glad he really had at least one real body to share a bed with. Women have good intuition and she'd eventually work out that his story was just that. Now she'll feel his confidence boost is real, so his affair must be real too. At least she'll think so.

He's a soft man, and will probably say his Carrie affair is over very soon. But he really should take her back with the condition that his "affair" will be over in around 6 months or something. Or that he has a few hall passes from now on. He can work out the details. But it's not about hurting her anymore, it's fear that keeps her in line. Love didn't work. He tried love. She said anything, and this is a far cry from anything. It's tame. A little fear is what she needs to behave. Sad but true. Nothing about her as a character says she'll behave because it's the right thing to do.

AceAureliaAceAurelia11 days ago

The writing is good but there is a social detachment with the characters. Men with kids who are betrayed in such a way typically wouldn’t see a woman who has betrayed them to such a degree so soon THEN create a fake girlfriend as therapy/revenge. This character displays Incel traits and is just as good of a liar as the cheating spouse. It shows he has no self respect which (by the standard of men) is worse than being cheated on..

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous