All Comments on 'How to Date a Superhero Ch. 08'

by frozenhero1

Sort by:
  • 13 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
I'm Not Sure What to Say...

Jordan is dead? How could you do such a thing? I know that the best way to get to a hero is through his/her relationships (have you watched "The Flash" lately?) so I guess it was inevitable. Luckily no one really knows about Travis. I expect him to still be around for awhile as it looks like things with Apollo have come to an end. Pluto doesn't play fair and I feel sorry for Penelope and what is yet to come. But surely Hercules will play a role in the future now that we know he is Penelope's father (and that revelation really explains a lot). I'm not sure that I really like where things stand at the present but I will hang around awhile yet--I've put too much time into this story to just walk away now. So, until next time I'm

Roger.

SyrustheVirusSyrustheVirusabout 9 years ago

I am not rooting for Travis and mega-girl to end up together....you are forcing it and it just doesn't feel right....Travis and jordAn were a better match, but you've gone completely into left field with this story now.....

Ladd_RussoLadd_Russoabout 9 years ago
Things are finally looking up

I mean, I liked Jordan and it seemed so sudden the way she died, but I'm really liking the overall way the story is turning out. I had given up on this since it seemed you were going to abandon the frickin story title and have MG date Apollo instead of Travis, but I saw this up on the "Recommended for you" page and decided to give it a last shot, and I'm glad I did. Now after reading the previous chapters I missed as well and seeing where the story is now I'm really optimistic - with Penny having gone through Apollo with her heart broken at the worst possible moment (and even though Minerva was scheming I hope and believe that won't become a successful excuse), and Travis having found someone after Penny he really liked only to have her be killed by a supervillain.

Hopefully now with Travis on the "superhero"-team, even if temporarily, he'll come around on Penny and as they comfort eachother (and hopefully the Apollo drama will be over with quick and maybe just ending up as allies/friends) they eventually end up together.

I'm not sure I have what it takes to continue reading this series chapter by chapter though - considering the drama and the long waits between chapters, I'll likely quit again - so if you could please just write "Final chapter" under the title for the last chapter that'd be awesome (IMHO 12-13 at most - at least for the whole Pluto-arc and for Penny and Travis to end up together, then maybe extras after that? Totally up to you of course, just really don't want to see another good series left without a proper ending).

Sorry for the novel-length comment lol. I get carried away sometimes~

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
I never liked Apollo

I think that you were a bit extreme with Jordans death. But I understand why you did it. Furthermore I like that Apollo is (hopefully) romantically gone out of her life.

JW

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Aw man...

I really enjoy your storytelling but Jordan's death really falls into that women in refrigerators trope. Superheroines have always suffered a disproportionate amount of life-derailing tragedies when it comes to character development and there were two in one chapter for Mega-Girl. Thata really rough pacing.

frozenhero1frozenhero1about 9 years agoAuthor
@Anonymous

:)

Yeah, poor Mega-Girl had it rough this chapter. I don't know that females in spandex have traditionally had it any tougher than males, I remember some issues of Spider-Man that treated Peter Parker pretty bad...

It's been important to me that this series not be all bunnies and roses. It has raised the ire of many readers, but I feel tension and conflict to be critical to good character development and storytelling.

Thanks for reading!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
The Orpheus route?

I am kind of hoping that Travis winds up doing a more successful Orphic trip to the underworld to retrieve Jordan. I understand the pull toward setting him and Mega-Girl up again, but i hope that it is just a red herring. I mean how cool would it be if a simple mortal wandered into Hades, warred against the unspeakable creatures (fingers crossed it the Cerberus) to get back what was taken from him (while Mega-girl beat the shit out of Pluto). Not to mention that this would put him in the position that Penny had in the beginning with him, potentially leading both an understanding from him with regards to the "fucked-up" nature of the Penny/Mega-Girl personality crisis, and hopefully to him becoming a more involved character, rather than just the useless assistant (as Jordan was anything but useless). I just think with the introduction of the technology based hero (Dr Prizim, or whatever his name is) then who's to say that this couldn't potentially push Travis into becoming an Ironman-esque hero with the same fanatical drive that Batman has due to his personal loss. As this could work with the reintroduction of Jordan quite well. But then again its probably just going to be a set up to Mega-Girl and Travis getting back together "sigh". But i still hold hope the predictable wife in the fridge cliché is, as i said before, just red herring. Although that wouldn't solve the Apollo arc like a reunion of Travis and Penny would.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Women in Refrigerators

Actually, the trope references the fact that female heroines--or other characters--are more likely to be brutalized or killed for the purpose of furthering/highlighting the male superhero's character arc. (You know: *falls to knees* "NOOOOOOOO....!") It's actually not referring to Mega Girl at all (so no Peter Parker parallel--except that they're guilty, too: Gwen Stacy, anyone?). It's referring to the woman who was cut up into pieces and stuffed in the refrigerator for Mega Girl to find: Jordan.

It is true that conflict is necessary for development and interesting plot--but not necessarily character death. Look at your general reader response to Jordan's death here: "Aww, man, I sort of liked her." "Well...I guess I understand why you did it." "That wasn't necessary."

No impact to the heart. Or very little. And it didn't create conflict--Jordan was the one who kissed Travis, right? That means you decided that her dying was the best way to tidy up any potential conflict/drama between Travis and Penelope. The opposite of what you claim. Jordan probably didn't have to die--it was just the cheap "throw-away death for a secondary character for a moment of action to give the hero/ine a reason to be upset but it doesn't really affect the audience" tactic that people have come to expect and are inured to in action movies. Jordan will be forgotten within a chapter or two because the readers didn't really feel her loss all that much.

Definitely women in refrigerators. There was probably a better way to do this, but "beat up the woman to make the hero look good" is a long-standing mechanism.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
That escalated quickly

Looks like we're taking a turn into Greek Tragedy here. I guessing things may get a lot worse for our heroine before they get better.

If it gets really dark you might want to put some kind of tone shift warning on the first chapter just to let readers know not to get too comfortable. ;)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
What the hell, Apollo?

I mean, sure, he can be quite annoying but sleeping with Artemis made his character do a complete 180. He was all lovey dovey about forsaking porn and other women for Mega Girl but completely unravels because Artemis kissed him? I understand that Artemis had unresolved feelings for him, but there was no foreshadowing whatsoever that Apollo felt the same way. Grrrr...I didn't find that necessary at all.

kitten_in_heatkitten_in_heatabout 9 years ago
Excuse me

While I pout over how wrong things could go in this one chapter.

I for one hope you don't put Mega Girl and Travis back together. He was a bit of a bore until he ended up with Jordan, and now I could care less what happens to him at this point.

As for Jordan, her death was a bit anticlimactic to me tbh. Nevertheless, she was a more engaging character than Travis.

The worst thing was probably the cheating bit. All those chapters spent building up their relationship and it all goes to flames just like that. It's still your own story of course, but I hope you didn't write that just to cater to the Apollo-haters. :/

magikman233magikman233about 9 years ago
i like this

apollo was an arrogant prick...over entitled and slimy through the whole story,sucks jordan died but penny and travis are supposed to be together,at least thats the way it felt for me from the start,wish you'd gotten more detail in on the incest though...but then i am a pervert

MarkT63MarkT63over 2 years ago

She knew Apollo was an arrogant cheater!!!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous