How to Date a Superhero Ch. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
frozenhero1
frozenhero1
3,704 Followers

"What about the World League?" Jordan eventually countered.

"What of them?" Apollo frowned, settling on a sporting event and setting the remote down.

"You're right, normal law-enforcement agencies are powerless to stop super-human people, but that's why we have the World League - to deal with threats ordinary people can't. They're our way of making sure we can punish the bad guys, even if they are beyond the law's capabilities."

Apollo snorted derisively, "Is that what you think? That Penelope is a 'bad guy'?"

"No," Jordan shook her head, "Of course not."

"Penelope killed a man. It was not her first kill. Likely it will not be her last. All her kills have been, and most likely will be, justified. I trust her judgement in such things, so too should the American government."

Jordan's brow furrowed in thought as she returned her attention to her computer screen. Apollo had given her a lot to consider.

=======

Mega-Girl sat alone in a white cubicle room lit by irritating fluorescent lights, her wrists bound by handcuffs she could snap as easily as a child could break a saltine cracker. The irony was not lost on her, but she saw no harm in allowing the federal agents to abide by their protocols. Her chair, two others, and a square table were the room's only contents. The wall across from her was dominated by a mirror and Mega-Girl had no doubt there were people on the other side observing her. She sat quietly for nearly twenty minutes until the room's sole door opened. A man with short dark hair and a grey suit entered. Mega-Girl estimated that he was in his early thirties. "Hello," she greeted politely.

"Hello, Miss Swann." The man placed his briefcase on the table and opened it as he sat down across the table, "My name is Benjamin Johnson, I'm an assistant D.A. with the United States District Attorney's office."

"It's nice to meet you."

Ben smiled at her cordial demeanor, "You too. My six year-old daughter is a huge fan."

"I'd sign an autograph but I don't think those big guys with guns outside will let me have a pen."

Ben chuckled, "Actually, I'm not certain those big guys with guns have any jurisdiction over you yet."

Mega-Girl raised her brow.

"You haven't violated any Federal laws, as far as I'm aware. The only reason a World League warrant was issued for your arrest was because the apprehension of paranormal individuals falls under the United Nations Superpowers Act of 1973, which basically states that the World League is chartered and deputized to carry out said warrants when local law-enforcement officials are unable to do so."

"So you're going to ship me back to Missouri?" Mega-Girl asked.

"No. The District Attorney in Gateway City hasn't pressed any charges against you and I don't expect she will, either. I spoke with her this morning and she informed me that if she tried convicting Gateway City's most beloved daughter she'd never be able to get re-elected to another public office ever again."

Mega-Girl couldn't help but smile at the loyalty of her hometown and the love they had always shown her, "Where does that leave me?"

"Well," Ben removed a manila folder from his briefcase and began looking at the papers within, "I've been assigned to investigate if the United States is interested in pursuing any charges. Do you mind if I ask you a few questions?"

"Fire away," Mega-Girl encouraged.

Ben flipped a few pages aside and studied one in particular, "The coroner determined that Corbin Nelson's death was the result of injuries sustained in a fall from an unspecified height."

"Who?" Mega-Girl wondered.

"Corbin Nelson, otherwise known as Deathstalker."

"I never knew his real name," Mega-Girl mentioned, "But he fell because I dropped him."

Ben glanced at her admittance.

"He had just murdered my defenseless best friend, Jordan Summers, and was threatening to kill me."

"Did he act on those threats?" Ben asked in a clinical tone.

"Yes, he attacked me. We fought briefly on the street outside my apartment before I flew him into the air and let him go. During the battle he mentioned that a ten-million dollar bounty was placed on my head and he was there to collect."

Ben jotted some brief notes down, "That bounty was eventually collected on, was it not?"

"Yes," Mega-Girl frowned at the memory of dying, "I was killed with a magical bow. I still don't know who shot me, though."

"A magical bow?"

Mega-Girl shrugged bonelessly, "It's a long story. Basically my soul went to Hades, the Olympian version of Hell, although I eventually escaped and returned to life."

Ben stared at her disbelievingly.

"I still struggle with it too," she grinned, "And I was there."

Ben glanced down at a piece of paper, "I think I'll leave that part out of my report."

"Probably a good idea," Mega-Girl nodded.

Ben pulled another folder from his briefcase and examined the files within, "Police reports and eyewitnesses on the scene corroborate your story, as does the obvious death of Jordan Summers and the damage to your apartment. At this time I'm going to recommend to my office that charges not be pursued."

"Seriously?" Mega-Girl sounded surprised that Ben had reached his decision so swiftly.

"Miss Swann," he said, closing his manila folders, "If the District Attorney's office decided to press murder charges, any half-decent lawyer worth his salt would be able to easily defend you with an argument of self-defense. It would be foolish to waste the taxpayer's money and the government's resources on an unwinnable case that, on the surface, looks to be pretty cut and dried."

"So I'm free to go?"

"Try not to leave the country for a few days, but yeah - you're free to go."

Mega-Girl smiled happily and snapped the handcuffs off her wrists with superhuman ease, "You want me to sign that autograph for your little girl, now?"

frozenhero1
frozenhero1
3,704 Followers
12