All Comments on 'How to Lose Weight Effectively'

by Bakeboss

Sort by:
  • 7 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Been there and done that!

Everything you said is completely and totally 100% true! And very similar to my experience.

I also had AcidReflux, as you did, and that ALONE is worth channging your lifestyle to get rid of!

I stopped drinking alchohol, but I don't think you mentioned that? I joined a gym, and now do 4 to 5 spin classes a week. I've dropped over 100 lbs over the last 2 years....

You know the best thing? Buying clothes you like straight off the rack.

Don't think 'diet'... think 'lifestyle'....

Don't measure your own weight, let your clothes tell you you are losing the flab (because they'll start to feel loose!... lol)

Eat slowly, till you're NOT hungry anymore, then stop! Don't eat for no reason! Drink a large glass of water before every meal! Sometimes when you're hungry, your actually thirsty.

Let other people tell you 'have you lost weight?' THAT is also a great way to have affirmation that what you are doing is working (but don't go 'fishing for compliments' that's just cheating...lol)

One of the best experiences of my life was when I bumped into an old friend at the gym. I tapped him on the shoulder, he turned round, looked at me STUNNED and said "Rich, you look GREAT!"...... a truely unexpected compliment and a real morale booster!

IT IS NOT IMPOSSIBLE! Just do it!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
excellent

Great article, good solid advice. I'm a fitness pro. Take this advice, more important, use this advise.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Actually,it is.....

....rapidly becoming accepted that one of the most effective dietary changes is to eat 5 or 6 small meals a day which speeds up the body's metabolic rate. Without this no amount of dieting will be effective.(That's where the aerobic and anaerobic exercises come in for people who stick with "three squares a day").But most people are incapable of the amount of exercise necessary to alter metabolic rates thus the 6 meal dietary change becomes the effective choice.Lost 30 pound in 6 weeks last fall without any added exercise-pistolpackinpete

H.H.MorantH.H.Morantover 14 years ago
First rate advice

-->

</style>

</head>

<body bgcolor=white lang=EN-US style='tab-interval:.5in'>

<div class=Section1>

<p class=MsoNormal>This is a very good article, and I agree with every

suggestion the author makes &#8211; been there, done that <i>et cetera.<o:p></o:p></i></p>

<p class=MsoNormal><i><![if !supportEmptyParas]>&nbsp;<![endif]><o:p></o:p></i></p>

<p class=MsoNormal>One thing he did not mention, and which works for me and the

people I know who have used it when the weight starts creeping back up &#8211;

and it ALWAYS will &#8211; is to make a note of the quantity (weight in grams

if possible) of EVERYTHING you consume so that you can keep accurate track of

every calorie you consume,</p>

<p class=MsoNormal><![if !supportEmptyParas]>&nbsp;<![endif]><o:p></o:p></p>

<p class=MsoNormal>This writing everything down is a pain in the ass, and that

by itself sometimes deters me from snacking.<span style="mso-spacerun:

yes">&nbsp; </span>It is also the only way of knowing just how much food you

are consuming.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </span>Three skimpy meals

a day and no snacks gets demoralizing quickly.<span style="mso-spacerun:

yes">&nbsp; </span>But this is simply a crutch to help with the basic scheme &#8211;

more exercise, less caloric intake.<o:p></o:p></p>

</div>

</body>

</html>

smy3thsmy3thover 14 years ago
Good advice

I agree with most of what you have said. I lost 60 lbs over about 8 months and have stayed at my goal for 6 months since. I used to nearly live on Rolaids, but haven't needed a single one since I started losing weight. Feel great. Look great.

I don't think it is practical to lose weight by either exercise alone or diet alone. It takes both. Diet alone is too slow. You need a certain amount of food to get basic nutrition. Without exercise, diet alone will be too slow and you will get discouraged and give up. With exercise alone you tend to just eat more to make up for it and if you ever stop exercising you gain it right back.

The best exercise for burning calories is running. Hands down, nothing burns as many calories per hour as a vigorous run.

I disagree strongly about weighing yourself. I weigh myself 3 or 4 times a day. The fluctuations are there, but if you only weigh yourself once a week the fluctuations can ruin your entire week vs. seeing the trend as each day goes by.

Studies of the less than 5% of people who lose a lot of weight and manage to keep it off show certain common behaviors:

1. They exercise 1 hour per day.

2. They weigh themselves frequently and make adjustments based on their weight.

3. They write down what they eat.

4. They eat a diet high in whole grains, fruits and veggies and low in fat.

I strongly recommend a free diet journaling website, of which there are many. Sparkpeople. Daily Plate, My Calorie Counter etc.

The other thing I found is that you need to learn to live with being a little bit hungry. If you think there is some diet out there that will cause you to lose weight without being hungry, I think you are likely to fail. Learn to embrace the hunger. Revel in it. Hunger to be thin. Keep repeating: Hunger is just the feeling of fat leaving your body. If you are eating a reasonable diet, a little hunger is probably good for you.

The other advice I have is, don't adopt any special diet. Don't start eating "diet food." That's a dead end. Eat what you like, but control the portions so your calorie intake is under control. That is the only sustainable diet.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Umm. no.

I'm not disagreeing with your advice, exactly, I'm pointing out that long term weight loss of more than, say, 5, maybe 10 pounds, is impossible. Period. Despite dozens of clinical trials using every form and combination of diet and exercise around, all weight lost comes back except, again, 5-10 pounds. Period. The faster you lose weight, the faster you regain it. People who start and maintain a strict diet/exercise routine will lose weight and then regain most of it by the end of 1 year, and pretty much all of it in 2 years. I'm not saying this to make people feel bad; on the contrary, I'm saying this to make it clear to people that your weight is as genetically determined as your height. Being overweight is not a flaw, it's not a mistake, it's not proof that you are some lazy slob, it's just you.

The reason people think diets work is because they DO work, for a little while, and because almost no one maintains a diet. So what happens is, people yo-yo. I know someone who loves the Atkins diet, because they cut carbs to get down to size, then eat whatever they want until they come back up to the weight they don't like. This is one of the worst things you can do to your body besides smoke. Stop worrying about your food and enjoy it instead. After all, being overweight means you will, statistically, live longer and fare most any disease/operation/disorder better than your skinny counterparts.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous