All Comments on 'Husband's Return'

by sirsmiley

Sort by:
  • 3 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Good...but

...you need to read up on Renaissance fashion. They didn't wear nightie's. They wore a chemise to bed, if they wore anything at all. It was the basic undergarment for both men and women, the woman's chemise usually being floor length. Over that, it was a bodice and skirt, or several skirts, depending on the temperature. Also, the materials were very important. If you're going to write a period piece, then research the period you're writing in, and please don't write in things that wouldn't be there unless you're doing a time travel type of thing.

sphinxE78sphinxE78over 15 years ago
Pay attention to details

While you did a good job on descriptions, this is a period piece. Satin did not exist till the 20th century. The closest would have been silk, which would have been too expensive for a mere merchant. The finest fabric this man Might have been able to afford for his wife would have been Irish linen. Lace also would have been too expensive. Both silk and lace would have been reserved for a Queen, and perhaps a Duchess. The porcelain tub you spoke of would not have existed in the Medieval period, either. It was invented in the 18th century. The tub this man might have had would be copper on a wooden base, IF he were rich enough to afford it. When writing a period piece, you need to be aware of what items are incorporated into your story. If they didn't exist during the period you state your story is happening, that will detract from the story. You must pay attention to details. Did this material exist? Was that item invented? Be certain. And if you're not certain and can't find the answer, don't assume. It will make your writing that much more enjoyable, both to those who do know the period, and those who don't.

sirsmileysirsmileyover 15 years agoAuthor
:O

Its not meant as a historical piece so take it with a grain of salt :P I dont have time to lookup all the historical stuff so just enjoy it for what it is! Who said it was our timeline/earth anyways ;)

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous