If Only Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She was most definitely wet now, and she saw Cadogan take a tortured breath as he opened his mouth to speak—but his voice cracked. He subtly cleared his throat "If something existed between cheesecake and cake, this would be it...I have worked on this dish for years, and last week finally got it to work. However, I am not even sure what to call it yet." Kara looked at him, and tried to think of anything she could do to describe it. At length, nothing came to mind. "Perhaps...perhaps the category should not be created, then it may take away some of the magic." Cadogan slowly smiled at her "You may have a point there. But what would I name it?" Kara looked up at him through her eyelashes "You are asking me?" "Yes." Cadogan looked at her intently. Kara looked down at the dish, and noted the flower. Her mind rapidly tried to process what name could possibly bear such importance. She looked at the flower again, and suddenly her eyes lit up and she looked up at Cadogan "The Viceroy."

Cadogan's eyebrows shot up "Why?" Kara gave him a small shy smile, "The Viceroy tulip was so rare and coveted, that attempts at its continuation or scaling-up were its downfall. Over time as people demanded more and the virus spread, the flower lost its structure, and the species died off. This dish should be so coveted, and should not be reproduced anywhere else for fear of its integrity wavering."

Kara met his eyes, and Cadogan's chest tightened; he could not form a coherent thought. Kara's openness and sincerity struck him, and he almost had the sensation to clench his fist and bear his feelings...but he could not. He almost felt in that moment he was looking into her soul "Kara..." Kara heard her name roll off Cadogan's lips, and she had the urge to close her eyes, but they were held captive in his. Suddenly sensation overcame her, and she surrendered to the feeling. She didn't know how to react, did not know what line of thought to follow, the cacophony resounding in her mind seemed so loud—yet there was silence between them. Such was the intensity, she didn't notice the distance between them closing.

Cadogan was compelled, as if under some spell—drawing closer to her. Cadogan's hand reached up and held her face, causing Kara to gasp and Cadogan captured her lips, possessing her. Kara's heart swelled and she moaned as electric sparks coursed through her. Cadogan's heart was pounding through his chest as he deepened the kiss, fighting fiercely to slow down and not ravish her. His other hand was nearly bruising this thigh as he clenched it to maintain control when he heard her moan. Kara's hand came up and clenched his shirt, tugging him toward her.

Cadogan broke the kiss and rested his forehead against hers, still holding her face as he gasped for breath, trying to calm down. Kara opened her eyes and struggled to speak through her labored breath, but could say nothing. Cadogan started "Kara, I—" but could not finish. Kara removed her hand from his shirt, and stroked her thumb across his cheek, and kissed where her thumb had brushed. She finally found words "I don't know about you, but this is the best date I have ever had," she said as she pulled away from him and smiled. Cadogan tried to laugh but just ended up smiling, meeting her eyes again and resting back in his chair. "Ditto."

Kara took a sip of her wine, and motioned to the dessert "Surely we cannot leave The Viceroy unfinished." Cadogan gave a half smile "Indeed not." They both picked up their forks and finished the dish, a content silence between them. They both heard the doors softly open, and Kara saw a chef appear. He looked at her, bowing and acknowledged Cadogan. "I trust everything was well?" Zach looked to Kara, "Oh yes, it was unbelievable! Just succulent and amazing...delicious doesn't seem to do it justice." Zach smiled "Thank you. I will be sure to inform the owner," he winked at Cadogan, and Kara laughed. Zach left, and Cadogan smiled at her.

"So tell me, where do you work?" Kara set her glass down "I am one of the architects at Stanley, Becker, & Kaelin." Cadogan's eyes went wide "Wow, and which are you?" Kara glanced at him "What makes you think I am one?"

"Honestly I cannot imagine you not being a partner." Kara smiled, and a wistful look crossed her face. "I am Kara Kaelin," she took a sip of her wine. Cadogan smiled brightly, "I like that, has a ring to it."

"Well, since we are sharing last names now, care to tell Cadogan?" Cadogan smirked, "Cadogan Conway, at your service." He gestured to himself, and Kara laughed. "Look at us, suffering repeated initials." Cadogan tilted his head, and gave her a look "So anyone ever—" "Nope, definitely not!" Kara interrupted. "No nicknames here." Cadogan laughed, "Okay, okay but you have to admit..." "Nope." Kara shook her head and crossed her arms, smiling in jest.

Cadogan looked at her, with her arms crossed and nose pointed up, and chuckled to himself. He glanced at the clock, and knew he should be the first to offer to take her home {If only time would stand still, just a little while longer...} but he knew better. "So, ready to return to civilization?" Kara unfolded her arms and looked at him, contemplative. "Surprisingly no...but we are adults, and an Architect's day begins quite early." Cadogan stood, and offered his hand. Kara took it and stood up, a nervous look crossing her face—but Cadogan tucked her arm in his as he did before and led her out into the kitchen.

The chefs stopped to wave and smile, and she smiled and waved back, feeling less embarrassed as she had when she came. Cadogan led her to the car, opened the door for her, and as he closed it behind her she breathed a sigh of relief as he walked around the car. Cadogan suddenly felt nervous getting in the car and taking her home...he wasn't sure how he should leave the night. He rested his hand openly between them, and Kara took his hand in hers, a smile crossing both their faces.

As he pulled up to her house, he quickly got out and opened the door for her, shutting the door as he drew her up and captured both of her hands. Kara shyly smiled, and looked into his eyes. "Kara...tonight has been...amazing, I just want you to know I do have intentions toward you, and I want to pursue this further. You can set the pace, ok?"

Kara smiled and nodded. She paused for a moment, then leaned in and kissed him gently, releasing her hands and walking to the door. Cadogan stood dumbstruck for a moment, surprised by her initiating their kiss, and touched his lips, looking toward the door. He ran his fingers through his hair, and walked around to get in the car and drive away, a smile curving his lips.

Kara closed the front door and leaned against it, sinking to the floor. She took off her shoes, and sighed. She sat there for some length of time, breathing slowly trying not to let her thoughts overwhelm her. She ran her hand across her brow, and through her hair, letting out a slow breath.

Suddenly there was a knock on the other side of the door. Kara frowned {maybe I left something in the car?} She looked around her and didn't seem to be missing anything. She quickly stood up, straightened her hair, and quickly opened the door, smiling "Did I forget—"Kara froze, as a man stood there with a beanie cap on, looking down—his hands clasped behind him. Kara's heart started beating out of her chest, terror seizing her as she tried to convince herself that the way he was standing was not familiar. He slowly raised his head, and locked eyes with her, and Kara clenched the door frame to keep herself upright. Her pupils constricted as adrenaline rushed through her, and she uttered a word she never thought she would have to say again. "Cole..."

He did not smile at her, but clenched his jaw and finally spoke, tilting his head behind him.

"Who was that?"

*

Please comment and vote! I would love to hear your opinions! Unfortunately any comments left under Dragon_13 will not reach me, I am not getting any email correspondence for that username!

12