In Over His Head Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"If you do well at your new job, it may lead to other opportunities, but that of course, is up to you," she finished, her hand still resting gently on his shoulder.

She had stopped about 20 feet down the hall, midway between Yagaritte's room at the end and the stairs leading down behind the bar. She was standing in front of a very nondescript door, tall but narrow and one that he had never really noticed before.

Margara spoke again "But, as long as you can afford the rent each week, this will be your new home..."

She stopped in front of the door and pushed Edovan's hand onto the handle.There was a brief warm, tingly sensation in his hand, he knew majika had flowed. There was an audible click and the door creaked open on large hinges, ones that probably hadn't seen oil in quite some time.

Warm lantern light spilled out into the hallway, softly illuminating a tiny room. It was barely wider than he was tall, and twice as long as it was wide, but whoever had put it together had made the absolute most of the small space that could be made. There were a myriad number of small cabinets and drawers seemingly built into the walls at all angles and all other available exposed wall was covered in bookshelves which were already filled with books, many of which he knew, and still others he recognized from his brief time in Yagarittes room. They were from her personal collection! His heart clenched in his chest- if Yagaritte valued her books as much as he had his own... that was quite a gesture, indeed!

There was a high single bunk bed with a small alcove underneath that held a small but usable desk, with parchments and quills and ink bottles ready to go. Above it, accessible by a small series of steps was the small but very comfortable looking bed itself, which would have been perfect if it hadn't been covered in garish pink sheets, but the soft grey fur spread on the top and two very comfortable looking pillows were more than enough to make up for it. He also noticed his staff was leaning against the desk on the side in a space that fit it perfectly.

Somebody had gone to a great deal of trouble and time and expense to create this, and he could easily guess that the earliest they could have started this was... when he first went down to the laundry? But why? At that point he had only been source of chaos and disruption to the Boar. He hadn't even proven himself yet.

Edovan just stood there with his back to everyone, not moving for the longest time. They seemed to be holding their collective breath, waiting for him to say something. Anything! But Edovan was silent and unmoving. But then his shoulders started to heave and shake almost imperceptibly, and wet splotches started to appear on the floor in front of him.

"He's crying, I can't take it!" Svie cried out and she had to turn away as she wiped her own tears. La had started to bawl as well. Slowly they all gathered in around him, the closest ones putting their hands on his shoulders or his head to show him comfort. Even Bernadette had joined the circle, forcing her way past some of the younger girls till she was standing directly behind Edovan.

"I gave you my finest sheets!" She called out proudly, almost shattering the current mood of the moment, but before anyone could chastise her, Edovan suddenly whipped around and threw his arms around her hips, burying his head in her lap, tears streaming down his face.

"It's beautiful..." he sobbed into her skirts, as a stunned Bernadette patted him on the head, awkwardly at first, but then with real tenderness and concern. Without warning, she dropped to her knees and embraced him cradling him in her bosom as a mother would her child. At that moment, the dam broke and all the girls, save Margara, were sobbing uncontrollably. All of them smiling or even grinning as their cheeks were streamed with teas. They all crowded in around Bernadette and Edovan, everyone hugging everyone in a huge sobbing circle for a good 30 seconds or so.

"All right , allright... that's enough!" Margara finally interrupted. "What is this, a brothel or a funeral procession? We have patrons to attend to, and work to do! Or nobody is going to have enough to pay me rent this week!"

All the girls turned and reluctantly filed out one by one, each one giving Edovan a small squeeze of the hand, or pat or kiss on the head, as they were able, sniffling and wiping at their faces. La and Svie left last. Each of them bending low and kissing his tear streaked outer cheek. Strangely he was still clinging to Bernadette and she in turn was holding on to him for dear life.

"It's all right child," Margara said gently, as she came up behind the two of them. "It's alright. It's been a long day for everyone. Let's let him settle in and get ready for bed," she said, pulling her kerchief from her pocket and giving it to Edovan.

She gently tugged him from Bernadette's arms as she reluctantly released him with a wistful gaze. Edovan seemed to have his wits about him again, though still teary. He looked up at Bernadette, still holding his hands, and whispered "thank you" to her. Bernadette bit her lip.

"You... you're welcome, little mouse," she replied genuinely, a small crack appearing in her usual upbeat facade.

But just as she turned to leave, she quickly leaned down to whisper in his ear. "I just want you to know I rubbed myself all over your sheets... so when you are sleeping, it's just like you are sleeping all wrapped up in me... consider it practice... for the night when you will be..."

Then she bit his ear and turned and strutted away swinging her hips back and forth Like the pro she knew she was.

Margara was now the only one remaining. He threw his arms around her waist next, hugging her tightly. She reached down and took his chin in her hand and lifted it so he was looking directly at her.

"You're welcome, but do me proud and work hard, aye? I meant what I said. You have to pay your rent and earn your keep just like everyone else! If you fail at this new job, I'll have to put you to work at the Boar the old fashioned way!' she teased and she gave him a wink, as His eyes went wide for a moment, till he realized she was kidding. "I promise I will do my best!" he assured her, grinning. Edovan offered her the now-damp kerchief back. She took it, tucking it back into her pocket.

You had better! There are some very old, very large women, in town who'd pay top dollar for a night with a young wood elf as charming as you. Pray you don't put me in a position to take their coin!"

Edovan shuddered. Joking or no, he would work very hard indeed!

"Oh one more thing. As you are aware, the lock is magical, and will only open for you, myself, or Yagaritte. Yes, Yagaritte. She's sorry she couldn't be here, but she had very important business to attend to. You also have... " and she paused, pointing to a portal of sorts, set in the door, almost exactly level with his face at standing height. She unlatched it and flipped it up on the inward side on its small hinges. There was now a small hole just barely bigger than his head. "...this custom peephole. If someone knocks and you don't know who it is or you are afraid it might be Bernadette, just open the portal and peer out so you can see who it is."

He flipped it back down and back up again to see how it worked. There was even a small hook to latch the portal open so it wouldn't fall back down again, and a latch at the bottom so unwelcome guests couldn't peek inside willy-nilly. It was a very clever design, he thought. He figured Yagaritte had a hand in that.

"Get some rest, little mouse. Someone will be here to collect you at the crack of dawn for your new job, and you don't want to be late! Remember, those dowagers are waiting!" she reminded him, chuckling to herself as she turned and headed back downstairs. She had her own to work to tend to, and a gaggle of girls to keep a watchful eye on.

"Margara. I have to ask, how did you get all this done in a day?" Edovan said suddenly.

"A day?" Margara laughed, stopping to turn back, looking at him. "You've been out for three days, boy. Had the lot of us worried sick about you. Today was the first day Yagaritte left your side. Now get some real rest!"

His heart caught in his throat. Yagaritte had done that? She was that worried about him? He closed his eyes for a moment, willing the butterflies in his gut to settle down.

"Wait... who paid my rent?" he asked, opening his eyes again, looking at Margra.

"Who do you think?" she winked and disappeared down the the stairs.

Edovan was alone now, and still no Yagaritte. He wanted to see her, to thank her. He didn't deserve anything as nice as this. Especially after what he had done. Yet here it was. He walked into his little room and closed the door behind him. There was was an audible click and the door held fast, unless he grabbed the handle again. Once inside, with door closed, even for him the room was quite "cozy." Definitely not a place you could stretch out or move around much, but for what it was, it was just perfect. And it was his. He slipped out of his suit and hung it on a hook in a little wardrobe built into the wall. Took off his boots and socks and placed them underneath. He rifled through the other drawers, mostly of curiosity, and was rewarded with a pair of large loose fitting pajamas. He slipped those on and climbed up the little stairs to his new bed.

True to her words, the pink sheet smelled strongly of Bernadettes perfume and her musk. Oh well, by now he was almost used to it. But what surprised him most were the two objects lying atop his bed that he hadn't noticed till now. One was a small box wrapped in colored paper and ribbons with a note tucked under the ribbons. The other was a small old book with a green cover and worn out pages. He realized with a start that it was the exact same book on dwemer runes he had planned to buy the other day in the shop for his own birthday present, but had left behind in order to pursue Yagaritte and return her herbs. His cheeks colored as he recalled their first encounter fondly. At the time he had been genuinely terrified. Looking back on it now, he wondered how he could get that same treatment arranged for GOOD behavior.

He pulled the note from the ribbons around the box and unfolded it:

Edovan

Sorry for not being there today, and missing your big reveal. Margara has promised to tell me all about it, so I hope you really liked it. It wasn't easy getting everything together in such a short time, so thanks for buying me that extra time sleeping in my bed with me for 3 days? When you're asleep, you're not such bad company after all.

I know you wanted to stay with me, but I need my privacy. It's nothing personal. Besides, if you're in my room, I would want you in my bed, and if you're in my bed I'll probably break you.? This is better for both of us, believe me.

We have not known each other long at all, but somehow I let you in when I've never let anyone else in before. It was a strange feeling having you in my room. Not bad, not good. Strange. I enjoy my solitude. I'm used to being alone. But then you came into my space and made me question why. I like you a lot, so there's no reason to create the chance for me to get upset at you again. I may have overreacted. Truth his, it was so long ago and I'm a different person now. But you still violated my privacy, and that is something I take very seriously.

I want you to know that I do forgive you. But you have work to do to repair my trust. I hope you will take that seriously. I know you have been asking Margara about me. Stop. If you want to know something about me, ask ME. I'm the keeper of my own secrets and I alone will decide who to share them with, and when, on my own terms.

I hope you like your gift. The shopkeeper said you left it behind that first day. Consider it a late birthday present. In the box is another small gift, something very personal from me that you are to share with NO ONE under pain of a slow tortuous death. Also included is the rest of your share of the gold from the contest. The other half went towards your rent, I'm sure Margara told you.

Mavka provided your desk and all the tools found within. She has somewhat of an affinity for magicka and alchemy, and has many tools and artefacts at her disposal. She sensed that same affinity in you, and is happy to provide you with any assistance she can.

If you ever need me for anything? you know where to find me.

Y

P.S. As I'm sure you've noticed, I've given a fair share of my personal book collection for your perusal. If you so much as scratch a cover or crease a single page, I will have your head myself (and not in the good way).

P.P.S. If you are a good little mouse... maybe the three of us might pick up again where we left off last time. Mavka tells me you are quite a fast learner?

Edovan blushed at that last bit, eyes going wide as he read. There were two very distinct kiss marks on the paper, he supposed one was Yagaritte's and the other way Mavka's, since it was twice as wide and full as the first one. He blushed, remembering their small moment together in the laundry room. There was more where that came from?

He cleared his throat, willing the stirring in his loins to go away.

Her words were blunt, but honest, and not unkind. He knew he had majorly messed up with the whole crystal fiasco, and the fact that she had forgiven him meant more than anything else in the letter, more than anything else at all. He was more than willing to earn that forgiveness, in any capacity that he could.

With the letter pressed to his chest, he leaned forward and took the box up, examining it. He shook it, feeling the slight weight inside, and the obvious jangle of coins. He set the letter down reluctantly, and untied the ribbon around the box, peering inside. There were two small bags inside. The first was a coin purse, holding a decent amount of gold pieces. He picked the other up curiously, noting the weight of it, familiar somehow. He untied it gingerly and upended it over the bed. A small illusion crystal tumbled out alone with a tiny folded note.

He swallowed. Surely not...? He took the crystal up, examining it. It sure looked the same, but? He frowned, confused. Was this a test? He set the crystal back down again and reached for the folded slip of paper. It was small, and the writing was short: "Make sure you're alone when you use this." That was it. Nothing else.

A test. It had to be. Right? She said he had to earn her trust back, was this part of it? He reached for the smaller note again, flipping it back and forth to see if there was anything else. Nothing. But surely every single crystal in that room had been destroyed. He was certain that Yagaritte had made sure of that. This might be something different? She had said it was from her own personal collection. Maybe it was an illusion of someone else? Something else?

Edovan inhaled deeply. He steeled himself. And he activated the crystal.

Once again, an illusion of Yagaritte popped up, but this time it was different. She was pulling on her leathers . And she was clearly sober. The angle of the crystal was low, so that only her legs could be seen. She was dressing in a hurry, pulling on her boots. She stopped abruptly and crouched, bringing her face into the frame. Her hair was pulled up into its usual bun, messy, beautiful.

"Okay, Yagaritte," she said to the crystal. To herself. "You can do this..." she continued, shaking her arms. She stood up again, stretching her legs. "Okay," she said, stopping to squat down again, coming fully back into the frame. She had her protective bodice on now and was lacing up the front with remarkable speed. This must be how she did it when she wasn't putting on a show for him. "You're still young... but you're different than they are. You can take the higher path when others choose not to," she told herself, nodding thoughtfully. "It won't always be easy, but that's not important, the important thing is you do what you know is right in your heart, in every situation. It's never led you astray. " she continued.

"You are going to make mistakes. But you don't have to let those mistakes define you. You are tough and you are smart. Do whatever you have to to fix things and make them right. You are not your family. You are not your father!" she said with a growing determination, and a flash in her eyes. One Edovan recognized. "YOU are not your past. YOU are the maker of your own future!"

Edovan watched the crystal curiously. She was giving herself some soft of pep talk it seemed. She finished lacing her bodice and was pulling on her weapon belt and a pair of gloves. This was not at all what he had expected, but it was far better. This was a glimpse at Yagaritte- honest, open, young, naive. This was her, laid bare. This was more revealing than anything that was on the other crystals. This was the real Yagaritte.

"Now," illusion Yagaritte continued as she placed her dual daggers in their sheaths and strung a strap of throwing daggers over her shoulder. . "You know what you have to d-" She was cut off by a male voice shouting off screen, the exact same one she had been dancing for in the previous illusion. He seemed to be shouting for help. Yagaritte got up and strode out of the frame. Edovan instinctively tried to crane his neck to see before he realized what he was doing. There was a loud SMACK noise like someone being slapped, hard. all happening off to the side, just out of sight. "Where is the shipment!" SMACK. "TELL ME!!" Yagaritte commanded before the crystal's illusion dimmed, then blinked out of existence.

He picked the crystal up, rolling it between his palms thoughtfully. He felt like there was a thematic conflict between how most people would interpret those words and what she was actually doing..but that sounded exactly like the same Yagaritte he had come to know and...love??? He bit his lip. Seeing Yagaritte this way... unsure of herself, but determined to shape her own destiny... she was the same as now, but different, somehow. It stirred something within him, something deep in his heart. He took the crystal and tucked it under his pillow. . Climbing down out of the bed, he rifled around in the drawers again until he found what he was looking for, a robe he had run across earlier. He slipped it on, tying the belt around his waist. It was enormous by his standards, but it was what he had, and he was grateful to have anything at all.

He started to reach for the door, but stopped abruptly. He turned back to the bed, crawling halfway back up its stairs. He reached for the little coin purse, coins jingling softly, then tucked it safely away in the pocket of the robe- halfway down his calf.

He grabbed the door's handle and stepped out into the hallway. He closed the door behind him, listening for the click of its lock, and leaned back against it once he was satisfied that it was secure. He glanced over at Yagaritte's door. It was silent, and he could detect no movement on the other side. Either she was asleep or out.

Tying the belt tighter around his waist, trying to gather excess fabric up so he wouldn't trip, he gingerly headed for the end of the hallway and took the stairs down carefully, trying not to make any noise in case there were sleeping patrons. About halfway down the stairs he realized it was pointless, there was enough of a ruckus to keep anybody awake here, and he wondered how he hadn't heard it upstairs. He thought maybe somebody had placed a noise-cancelling ward there...

He was deep in his thought, wondering about the ward, when he suddenly bumped into someone. Someone soft but solid like a pole with no give. He gave out a soft "oof!" sound as they collided, stumbling back slightly. Or were their two of them? Edovan looked up, realizing it was the twins. Edovan was confused. She was bigger than him, sure , over a foot taller, but also very slender. Yet when he had collided with her it had felt like running into a tree, a shapely softly padded tree, but a tree nonetheless. She hadn't budged.