Into the Vampire's Lair Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
ArtForm
ArtForm
1,148 Followers

"Oh no..." warned Alaron but it was too late. Alex had thought the phone was a teething ring and Alaron could only watch in dismay as the little wolf's teeth chewed on the plastic exterior of the phone.

"Oh my god! Is he chewing on your phone? Take it off of him!" cried a voice from a far. Alaron's head shot up; relief flashing across his face at the sight of Erika rushing towards him.

"Oh thank god... save me from this thing..." he said, trying to pry the child from his chest.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" she chided, giving him a cold stare. "Oh come here my little baby... are you hungry? Want Aunty Erika to get you some nibbles?"

Alaron watched in horror as Alex dropped his phone on the sidewalk and opened his arms for Erika. When the child was in her arms, Alaron gave him a sideward glance.

"Traitor," he sneered and watched the boy laugh, hiding his face shyly at the crook of Erika's neck. What is it with women and babies? She was currently cooing at the baby, saying all sorts of nonsense and non-intelligible sounds to the child while ignoring him and his plight.

"Hey... don't leave me!" he shouted after her when she started to walk away.

She didn't even turn when she replied to him. "Pearl should never have left poor little Alex in your care." He was about to retort when he saw Alex gurgling happily and kissing Erika on her cheeks. She in turn began to drown the child back with kisses, cooing senselessly once again.

Rolling his eyes, Alaron caught up with them; narrowing his eyes and scowling at the little Werewolf child.

"How come he gets kisses?"

Erika raised her eyebrows slightly and turned to face him. "Coz... Alex is cute and cuddly and is such a coochiecoochiecoo isn't he?" she replied, nuzzling her face against the child's cheeks.

"Oh my god... can you like stop that? He's not retarded! Hey Alex, don't think I don't know what you're doing okay? Just because all the women fall at your feet don't think I'm gonna fall for that cute baby grin thing you have going on okay?"

Erika suddenly stopped in her tracks and glared at him. "He's just a baby!" she hissed and kicked his shins. Alaron yelped slightly, knowing that she probably ruptured a few capillaries under his skin. He knelt down to rub the pain away but before he could insult her, he saw Fiona running towards him.

"Al! Are you okay?" her face displaying a look of concern.

"Yeah," he said, standing up straight.

"We were worried about you! Me and Pearl don't know this place too well so Erika volunteered to retrace our steps and find you."

"Yes I'm fine. Can you stop fussing already?" he snapped, flicking his hands at her as though she was a fly.

"You are such a jerk sometimes," said Fiona, rolling her eyes. "Come on! We found this cozy little bookstore. Erika's planning to purchase some books for our new shop!"

"Wait a minute... you girls haven't even decided on a place yet," he said as they approached the group.

"Sometimes when you find what you like, you've got to get it before it disappears off the shelf." This came from Pearl. Nobody seemed to have heard her though except Alaron and he caught her eyeing him suspiciously.

She waited until everyone else had entered the bookshop before speaking.

"You like her don't you?" she said in that all-knowing tone that mothers usually use. Alaron found himself blinking back memories of his own mother. Damn. It was hard to lie when they use that tone on him!

"Err... yes," he admitted sheepishly.

"So?" Pearl was crossing her arms and looking at him expectantly.

"Err..."

"Don't you go errr with me young man. So are you going to ask her out or not?" she chided, giving him a frown.

Alaron swallowed hard under her watchful stare. Damn this she-wolf! She'd better not go babbling to others about his weakness against mother figures! He'll be doomed.

"I uh... I don't know how to..." he stammered; a embarrassed flush rising from the side of his neck. Immediately her gaze softened and she went into coochie-coo mode.

"Aww, baby... you poor thing! Let's see... Fiona and I could arrange for it... yes! Now clothes... Umm, yes I think that'll be fine... location... mmm..." Alaron was staring at her open mouthed, apparently unsure what just happened. It was as if she was talking to herself but specifically about him, in front of him but not engaging him in any part of the conversation.

"Uh... Pearl?"

"Shh, I'm thinking!" she snapped, pushing him into the store instead, urging him to leave her to her own thoughts.

Alaron shrugged and hurriedly entered the store- the further away he was from Pearl the better. She was starting to scare him! Trying to take his mind off the weird conversation he had just had, he began skulking around to look for the others.

There were rows and rows of shelves, two metres high crammed within a few feet interval of each other. It was almost impossible to walk along the aisle but he managed to squeeze through two shelves to find himself standing in front of the military history section. His eyes roamed the book collection and found that so many of the books looked really old and dusty. Some looked extremely ancient and were even handbound.

Somehow, his eyes rested on a particularly old book, "The Antiquarian's guide to the House of Lords". He didn't know what compelled him to pull it out, but he did; his eyes scouring page by page as it described in detail the various Lords that had come into the title in the past. After a while, he found himself sitting down despite the lack of space and leafing through the book. A warm smile crept up his face as he came across a rather recent family portrait of Lord and Lady Culzean.

"What's that you got there?" said a voice from behind him. Alaron looked up to find Erika bending down to take a closer look at the book he was reading. She was actually smiling at him, which was a rare occurrence.

"Umm, it's just a book I saw. It's nothing," he said, trying to hide the book from her.

"Let me see," she said, moving closer to inspect the book despite his attempts to stop her. "Alaron Culzean! Can you please let me see that damn book before I punch you?" she snapped.

He gave her a sulky pout before passing the book to her. "You're so violent," he remarked. Erika smiled as she turned to look at the book. "Oh come on. You were kicked through a bookshelf and didn't even get a scratch. What's a kick or a punch from a weak female mortal like me to you? Probably felt like an ant bite."

Alaron stared opened mouthed at her. She was just ridiculous!

"Checking yourself out huh?" she teased, ignoring his expression. Instead, she opened up the book gently to the page he was looking at. When her eyes rested on the portrait, she frowned. "I didn't see her at the wedding."

His jovial demeanor evaporated.

"She's dead," he replied curtly, getting up to his feet. Erika looked up and immediately felt bad for being so insensitive. She had forgotten that Fiona had mentioned something about losing his mother but she couldn't remember much about it.

"I'm sorry... I know what it's like to lose a parent too," she whispered, trying to make him feel better but he simply walked away from her. He vaguely heard her following him, asking him to stop but Alaron wasn't in the mood anymore. He didn't want to talk about his mother. Period.

However when he reached the entrance of the shop, he found Pearl and Fiona looking excitedly at him. Pearl was giving him a thumbs up and Fiona was mouthing something. "Ask her out!" she hissed. He mouthed back a "No!" but she didn't seem to accept his reply for she moved forward to greet them both.

"Hey Erika. Oh are you getting that book too? Give it to me," she said, taking the book away from her. "I'll go pay for these. Pearl's going to bring her children to get some ice-cream. Could the two of you fetch the car and bring it here? We've got quite a few books to carry."

"It's okay Fi, I can go myself..." said Alaron, walking away from her.

"Erika, would you please go with him?"

"Oh... I don't know..." she said guiltily. "I think he's mightily pissed at me."

"Erika dear, please go with him," she replied softly. Erika turned wordlessly and walked off towards Alaron. Fiona bit her lips slightly as she watched Erika catching up with Alaron.

***

Damn that Fiona! Did she use her abilities to get that woman following him? Alaron tried to walk faster but Erika kept on catching up with him. She didn't appear to be under a suggestion trance but looked as though she was actually there on her own accord.

"Whatever." He was almost at the car and knew that there was no way to escape Erika now.

"I'm sorry," was the first thing she said when she came up to him.

"Doesn't matter. Get in." He got into the driver's seat and waited for her to enter on the other side. If it were up to him, he would have left her on the street.

"I'm sorry," she apologized again once she was seated.

"What are you sorry for?" he said in an indifferent tone, turning to look at her.

Strangely, she was looking surprised. "Uh... I guess it's what people normally say when they think they've hurt someone's feelings? I don't know... I hate hurting people's feelings whether on purpose or not."

"So... you're not really sorry," he said in a matter-of-fact tone.

"No! I mean, I am sorry for your loss but I'm not sorry I mean... oh crap."

Her little blunder seemed to amuse him for he smiled a little then turned to her.

"So it's okay to kick me but not okay to make me feel sad? How does that work out?"

She smiled back, realizing now that he seemed to have forgiven her. "That's different. You were an arse so I was returning the favour."

"Right..." he replied, trying to hide his amused grin.

"Anyway Alaron, has anyone told you that you look like Ian Somerhalder?" she asked suddenly. Alaron gave her a disgusted look and Erika widened her eyes in alarm. "Is that insulting? I'm sorry... I didn't mean it in a bad way... shit, I mean yes Damon is bad but not the actor playing his role..." she stopped when he gave her a blank look.

"I should shut up now," she announced and Alaron pulled his head back and laughed.

"First of all, never ever put my name in the same sentence with Eian. Second of all, who's Eian whatshisname or Damon whatever?"

Erika's eyes widened in shock. "You mean you don't know? Damon Salvatore in the Vampire Diaries? Don't you guys watch TV at all?"

Alaron raised an eyebrow and peered at her. "Is this... Damon person good looking?"

Laughter bubbled in her throat as she nodded. "Well, if you go for the whole deadly sexy bad boy routine... which I'm sure you don't 'cause you're straight which I think you are but I might be wrong and you might be gay... Oops! Right... moving on... I'm babbling."

Alaron was laughing as he started the engine. "No, no... continue please," he said; his eyes twinkling with laughter.

"Hey! I'm talking about the actor okay? Nothing to do with you."

"But you said I looked like this Damon person."

"Apparently looks can be deceiving."

"And I'm not gay."

They both burst out into laughter. It was nice bantering with Erika and knowing that she was warming up somewhat. Perhaps he should take Pearl's advice and ask her out but somehow he was too nervous and too shy to do so. Getting a girl into bed and getting a girl to go out on a date are two different things.

Instead, he drove around the corner in silence; listening to the sounds of her breath and inhaling the citrus scent of her perfume.

As the car came to a slow halt, Alaron heard her shift slightly in her chair. Their moment alone was coming to an end for he spotted Pearl and the children walking towards the car and Fiona was coming out of the shop with one of the staff carrying huge boxes. It was now or never.

"I like you," they said in unison before backing away from each other in surprise.

"But you hate me!" he exclaimed.

"Hello... what about you? You're always insulting me!"

Whatever Alaron wanted to say next was put on hold as Pearl opened the back door and let the children clamber in. When she entered, she gave the two adults a knowing look and smiled.

***

When they returned back to the compound, it was dark so Alaron dropped Pearl and her kids first before heading back to Fiona's home. He was about to enter the garage when he noticed Eian standing at the porch, gesturing him to stop.

Lowering his window, Alaron waited for Eian to come up to them. This is his car anyway.

"Fiona dear, could you go inside first?" he said, the moment he reached the MPV. He waited a moment as she got off the car in confusion and didn't say anything until she was inside the house.

"I need a favour from the two of you," he said softly before turning to face Erika. "Erika, my home is not safe for you tonight. If you'd like, I'll put you up in one of the hotels nearby or you can stay with Pearl or Sydney. I'll arrange for it."

"Oh," she exclaimed. Obviously she hadn't expected this. "Umm, why don't I just go back to my old place? I know it's in ruins but..."

"It's a dangerous neighbourhood Erika," said Eian, cutting into her sentence gently. Erika was surprised at the concern he was showing her.

"I've lived there for five years... I'll be fine," she insisted. When he still gave her a doubtful look, she continued, "Alaron can keep me company for the night. I mean muggers and drunks seem so tame in comparison to a Vampire right?"

Eian's lips twitched in amusement but he nodded.

"You heard the lady. Take the car," he said to Alaron. "Don't worry about Fiona..."

Alaron though doubtful was reassured by Eian's words and drove off silently away from the house. With a sigh, Eian turned and walked towards his front door, preparing himself for World War Three.

Sure enough, his wife was leaning against a wall, arms crossed and staring at him. Judging from the look of worry and annoyance on her face, he presumed that Amber must have told her everything.

The she-wolf in question was sitting on his sofa with a blank expression on her face. For a moment he wondered if Fiona had suggested her to clear her mind of her worries. If she did, then it wouldn't be so hard to convince her to suggest a bit more to help Amber out...

"I'm not doing it..." she said in a warning voice as he approached her.

"But you know why it needs to be done Sweetheart..." he replied, moving closer to hold her. He could feel her tense muscles relaxing slowly at his touch but knew that her guard was still up.

"It is wrong to separate them like this..." she said softly. "I'll talk to Grandfather about it... he will understand."

Eian looked at Amber then turned to his wife. "No he won't Sweetheart. Aramis is a Pureblood through and through. If a union doesn't benefit him, he will not allow it."

"But... he allowed us," she pleaded. "Why would Draven be any different?"

With a sigh, Eian kissed her forehead and whispered, "Because he's an heir." Turning to look at Amber, he continued, "Perhaps you should stop controlling her now."

"I won't. She wanted to kill herself just after she told me the problem. I need to think this through. Don't worry, I simply told her to relax and tune out to everything around her."

Eian looked at his wife curiously. "What emotion did you use to carry out that suggestion?"

Fiona gave a shy smile and shook her head. When he raised his eyebrows, she simply placed a finger on her lips and smiled.

"I'm sure there are... other ways for me to find out," he said with a laugh. "Now back to the problem at hand. Are you going to suggest to her to forget him or not?"

Her eyes looked up gently into Eian's green ones and shook her head. "When I was newly turned... I remembered a time when I went to see Draven and asked him to take away my memories of you."

"What?" exclaimed Eian in surprise.

"Well, somebody stormed out of the banquet held in his honour remember? So anyway, Draven refused because he said those memories were shared between me and you so it is not my property alone to have them wiped out like that."

Eian kept quiet, silently thanking the One above for not having her memories of him erased.

"But sweetheart... you're not erasing her memories. I'm only saying you should suggest for her to forget him... or at least the pain of not being with her mate. She's too valuable for this pack Fiona..."

Fiona gave a sad sigh and turned to look at Amber again. "But the memories will still be there Eian... and it will resurface time and again especially if she becomes strong enough to overcome my suggestions. I do not have the heart to keep on controlling her on a daily basis Eian. That's like administering hallucinogen to an unwilling patient."

Eian pressed a hand over his forehead as though trying to stop a migraine from building.

"I realize that after centuries of being an Alpha alone, having another on board sure complicates things."

Fiona narrowed her eyes at him. "Are you saying you're regretting finding your mate? Hmm?"

"I'm not saying that. I'm just saying that I used to make all the decisions myself, damn the consequences but now I still make the decisions but you get to sway them. I'm sure my male ego will learn to adapt," he replied with a gentle smile. "Somehow I hope that makes me a better Alpha."

Fiona smiled sadly at him. "It must be hard to make decisions like this... I know I have to do this... but I really don't want to Eian."

"I know sweetheart... but I'm not just thinking for the pack but for her as well. At the moment, Draven is flitting around, trying to get off the radar and even if she tries to find him, she might fail because he doesn't want to be found. Knowing that your mate doesn't want you is enough to cause her to go rogue... and I do not want to be the one to place the orders to have her terminated should she attack others."

"You have different laws from us then..." she whispered sadly.

"Yes we do," he replied, looking into her eyes. "Werewolves weren't hunted down and burnt at the stake in the past centuries Fiona... but with that said, rogue Vampires are still terminated by your Council if they are deemed to be of a matured age and mentally sound."

Fiona remained silent, taking in the things that he had told her. She wanted to argue with him on that point but decided that it was not the most pressing matter at the moment. She breathed a slow sigh as she studied Amber's face.

"Do you think Draven loves her, Eian?"

"Yes he does Sweetheart... and that is why he is doing this."

Fiona nodded although she did not understand why. Draven and Eian seemed to know a lot more than she but at the moment, she was contented knowing that at least Draven had loved Amber and consented to what she was about to do.

Moving away from Eian, she settled herself on the sofa next to Amber and released her hold on the woman. Amber blinked a few times before looking at Fiona with an expectant sadness in her eyes.

"I'm ready," she whispered.

"I promise you won't forget him... ever," said Fiona as softly as she could so that Eian won't hear her. "But for now... hold on to the euphoria of finding your mate; love him from afar and carry on with your life, here with your pack, where it is safe and happy... Can you do that for me, Amber?" Fiona watched the woman nod slowly.

"Sweetheart... she's going to ache with need if you say that," said Eian in a resigned tone. She needs to burry the pain of losing him.

Fiona didn't respond but instead took Amber's palms into her own and squeezed it gently.

"Amber dear... tell me truthfully; can you live with the pain of loving your mate from afar?"

"No," she answered, looking up into Fiona's gentle eyes. "But I will if you tell me that he's dead..."

ArtForm
ArtForm
1,148 Followers