All Comments on 'Is Love All or Nothing? Ch. 14'

by DestinyReader

Sort by:
  • 6 Comments
TheOldRomanticTheOldRomanticalmost 7 years ago
Bright chapter!

In this story I have always found myself on Keith's side, his similarity to his character and mine has led me to it. It is evident that Andrea has realized how Daniel is, if he is able to treat his brother thus, so can he do with her in the future. Aunt Nancy may be well-intentioned (like Uncle Jon), though her insistence is exhausting. I also have the feeling that Caleb can have Asperger, for what little has been said about him.

I have liked Aaron and Diane, especially her, she looks like a great mother.

5 * for you.

I apologize for my English (yet and forever), isn't my native language.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
I have been holding my peace

and enjoying your writing, but champing at the bit about your characterization of Asperger's Syndrome (which no longer exists as a separate condition according to the latest edition of the diagnostics manual, BTW). You are treating Asperger's as something akin to leprosy or a somehow communicable malignant brain tumor. This is not right.

I'm on the autism spectrum myself, just a couple of toes on, and in the scientific academic and technical field. Many colleagues are there as well. For me and our fellows, IT IS NORMAL. I could go on and on about my family, their own places in the foothills of the spectrum, their academic accomplishments, their being wonderful parents, and how it probably has made them better people.

In my 70's now, I can see how my impaired emotional connections early on were a hindrance, but in the midst now of a 48-year marriage, two sons with loving families and wonderful grandkids, I am content.

I also am a thorough-going romantic. Fancy that!

DestinyReaderDestinyReaderalmost 7 years agoAuthor
Reply to Holding my peace

I can understand some confusion where it may seem like I am talking about Asperger's as if it is some sort of illness that no one wants to be around. I try my best to give the reader a look inside the head of a person with Asperger's. Part of me always felt different growing up and sometimes a burden to others, even family. I had very few friends that would actually ask me to come over to their house to play/hang out and felt like the outcast. I am putting my life experience into Keith. In no way am I trying to generalize it because I know other people with Asperger's that react to situations far differently from me.

At the same time I try to show the support he has from Andy and Jackie that while different he is still very much loved.

I also do know Asperger's is now no longer separate condition from the autism spectrum according to latest diagnostic manual because my shrink told me that, but I still think it is different enough that I will write about as syndrome for this story. The next story I might change it up.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Heart in the right place

Love your incorporation of someone on the Autism spectrum. Your writing would draw me in more and the story move more skiithky if you didn't switch back and forth between present and past tense. Also, going back through once it's written and eliminating unnecessary words would help. Phrases like "He couldn't help but..." slow down the story, and detract from the power of the sentence. Just say "He remembered."

DestinyReaderDestinyReaderalmost 7 years agoAuthor
Reply to heart in right place

I appreciate your input and will take it to heart. This is my first serious try at writing a story and I can improve my writing. I'm also happy you're enjoying the story.

UltimateHomeBodyUltimateHomeBodyalmost 7 years ago
Love the story and characters

Yes the writing is amatuer, but then so is this reader. There are not enough writing errors to deter me from following your tale. Keep going.

It does not matter if a problem has a label as this label can become the problem, just as you point out in how some treat the main guy.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userDestinyReader@DestinyReader
The final chapter of "Love of Autism" has been sent to my editor. Yes, the final chapter.

SIMILAR Stories