Is Love All or Nothing? Ch. 18

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jackie studied the woman for a minute before pushing the plate slightly towards the woman. "What's your name?"

"Stacy," the woman said as she took a mozzarella stick. "And your name is?"

"Jackie."

"Nice to meet you Jackie," Stacy said as the bartender brought them their drinks.

Jackie and Stacy devoured the plate of mozzarella sticks and Stacy placed another double order. Jackie insisted that she didn't need to do that but Stacy said she was still hungry and best to have food while drinking. Jackie didn't argue as they continued to chat, drink and eat. However she felt like Stacy was staring at her a lot.

"Is there something on my face?" Jackie asked, thinking there might have been a piece of cheese stuck on her face.

"No, I just think I've seen you from somewhere before," Stacy admitted, "and it is really bugging me that I cannot figure out from where."

"I wish I could help you with that. My ex and I used to just stay in a lot."

The way Jackie said "ex" cued Stacy that it was not a good breakup. "If you don't mind, can I ask what happened?"

******************************************

Keith chugged the beer in his hand and put the empty can on the coffee table with the rest. He counted seven cans and definitely felt like he had drank them all. He got off the couch and staggered his way to the refrigerator and grabbed a few more cans. He walked back to his couch, sat down and turned his attention back to the NBA game that was playing.

His week just got rougher after Monday. Deliveries were missed, both going out and coming in. He had spent more time on the phone with customers and suppliers in that week than all the previous year. Sleep eluded him most nights and he seriously considered drinking coffee just to keep him awake during the day.

Home was not much better as he and Andy had yet to sit down and talk about the previous weekend, mostly because he didn't want to. Convincing his co-worker was easy because she wasn't there to see the events unfold, but he didn't think Andy would believe the truth. It didn't help that all he thought about was Jackie, her smell, the feeling of cuddling with her, her arms around him as they slept, her kiss, her smile, he missed her.

The fact he knew the truth made the situation worse because he knew he didn't cheat on her and that drove him insane that Jillian went to such lengths to get her revenge. He couldn't believe the extent she went to and the patience she had to execute such a plan.

He often went from anger to sorrow and back again, but depression was starting to take over with every beer he drank. He downed two more, not caring how drunk he would get himself. He had lost the woman he loved and most likely his best friend. Work was just adding on to the stress and he was starting to crack.

'How much more can I take?' he asked himself as tears started coming down his face. In his drunken state he started to really believe that there was nothing to live for anymore. 'Who would really miss me if I were to die?'

That was the first time that question had crossed his mind and it was not an afterthought. He believed everything would be better without him.

"I don't deserve any love," he said out loud, tears continuing to stream down his face. "I'm a fucking mess and everything I'm going through I deserve." He slapped himself in the face. "I deserve all this pain." He slapped himself again and again, harder with each slap. "I just...can't anymore." He closed his eyes, the belief that he didn't deserve to live starting to take over. He formed a fist with his hand and started punching himself in the side.

********************************************

"You're fucking shitting me!" Stacy said.

"I wish I was," Jackie said. She finished her Cosmo before she continued. "I didn't think he would do such a thing, but I caught him sleeping with another woman."

Stacy took a minute to take all the information in. She couldn't believe any man would do such a thing. "How did you two meet anyway?"

"We actually met here the first time." Jackie looked at where her and Stacy were sitting and started to laugh. She noticed the confused on Stacy's face. "We are actually sitting in the seats where we first met."

Stacy laughed with her new friend. "Why was he here that night?"

"He was still depressed from how things ended with a girl he was dating before. His friend is actually the manager here."

"Beware if you speak of the devil because he might actually appear," Andy said appearing from behind the bar. "I see you made a new friend."

"Hey Andy," Jackie greeted, "this is Stacy."

Andy reached out to shake her hand. "Nice to meet you Stacy."

"Likewise," Stacy said accepting Andy's handshake.

Andy turned his attention back to Jackie. "So do I need to cut you off so you can go home sober?"

"No, I'll be fine. Worst case, I'll just get an Uber."

"Ok, I'm going to cut you off. No more alcohol for you."

"Why? Don't do that," Jackie begged.

"You and Keith maybe over, but I still want to make sure you get home safe. I don't want you getting taken advantage of."

Stacy took another long look at Jackie when Andy said the name Keith.

"You think I would let any guy even in my apartment after what just happened?"

"No, but you are a bit tipsy right now. I know you would take care of yourself sober, but I've seen you drunk before and you're not that coordinated."

"I'm nowhere near that drunk from New Year's party," Jackie defended.

"Excuse me," Stacy interrupted, "but was your brother in the hospital a couple months ago?" she asked Jackie.

"Um, why are you asking me that?" Jackie asked, confused by the question.

"Was your boyfriend Keith James?"

Both Jackie and Andy looked at Stacy shocked. "How do you know Keith?" Jackie asked.

"He was my best friend in high school."

Jackie then realized who Stacy was. "So you're Stacy Miller?"

"How you do you know my last name?" Stacy asked, having her turn of confusion.

"Keith's mom and sister did nothing but rave about you when I was over for Christmas."

"It's nice that they still hold me in high regard."

"Well I guess he is not the guy you remember that he was in high school," Jackie comforted.

"No," Stacy said defiantly. "Keith would never do such a thing."

"Stacy, I caught him in bed with another woman. That is all the proof that is needed."

"I know for a fact he would never do that because he wouldn't let me do that with him when I found out a guy was cheating on me."

"That was high school."

"Yes, it was high school and I almost lost his friendship over forcing him to sleep with me. He wouldn't talk to me again until I apologized a month later and even then, it took a long time to get back to where we were."

"Ok, but still he was naked with a woman in his bed," Jackie pointed out. "How else can you explain that away?"

"Wait, you got a text from him that morning that he wanted to talk to you about something, but every time you texted he never responded?"

"Yeah, I also called and he never answered."

"That didn't seem odd to you?"

"Well, yeah, it did seem odd," Jackie admitted, "but he probably didn't answer because he didn't want me to hear the bitch in case she woke up and said something."

"Ask yourself this," Stacy began, "why would Keith text you to come over just so you would catch him with another woman?"

Jackie thought for a minute. "I can't think of any reason he would."

"Does he still wake up completely awake and ready to go, never hitting the snooze on his alarms?"

"Yes he does."

"So why would he send a text message, never respond to only be caught sleeping?"

Jackie was slowly realizing what Stacy was pointing out. Anytime Keith woke up he was completely awake. More than once he had texted her in the morning if she wanted to go out for breakfast on the weekend and as soon she responded he replied back. He always had his phone by him and unlocked so she could use if she needed to. Then the realization came to her that Lauren could have set the whole thing up.

"Shit!" Jackie exclaimed. "He didn't cheat on me. I need to talk to him." She got her phone out of her pocket and called Keith but he didn't answer. She tried calling him again but no answer.

"Can I try calling him?" Stacy asked.

"Sure I guess."

"Can you give me his number?" Stacy asked embarrassed.

"Sure." Jackie showed her Keith's number and Stacy started smiling, silently laughing. "What's so funny?"

"He still has the same number from back in high school."

Jackie did find that funny as Stacy tried calling Keith. Much to her surprise he answered.

"Stacy Miller?" Keith asked his words slurred.

"Yes Keith, it's me. How are you?" she asked, concerned with how drunk he sounded.

"Shitty. My girlfriend broke up with me. I'm going to lose my friends, and I don't have anyone to love me."

The depression in his voice was very evident. "Keith your family still loves you. I still deeply care about you."

"Then why haven't I heard from you in years ever since I dropped you off at your house that night?"

Stacy took a deep breath. "I thought you hated me after how things ended that night."

"Stacy, I could never hate you. You were my closest friend."

That warmed her heart hearing that. "That's sweet of you to say Keith."

"I just wish you can enjoy your life without me."

"Don't say that Keith." Stacy demanded, concerned for Keith.

Jackie noticed how distressed Stacy was starting to sound. "Is he ok?"

Stacy put her finger up to tell Jackie to hold on a minute.

"Stacy, I just want you to know I've always cherished you as a friend. Thank you for always being there for me. Goodbye." Keith ended the call.

"Keith, don't hang up!" Stacy looked at her phone seeing that Keith had ended the call. "Shit! Where does Keith live?" she asked Jackie and Andy who was still there.

"He lives right next to me. Why do you need to know?"

"Because he is drunk and suicidal right now."

Jackie covered her mouth, scared for Keith.

"I'll take you. Give me a minute to get my keys and let Sidney know I'm leaving the bar in her care." Andy disappeared into his office.

"I'm going with you," Jackie stated.

"I don't know if you should see him right now."

"I didn't ask to go. I'm going with you two because he needs to know he has something, someone to live for."

Andy returned a minute later. "Let's go."

The three of them left Brownstead and got into Andy's car. Andy drove as fast as he could, nearly running a couple red lights along the way until they got to the apartment complex. Quickly they got out of the car and into the building. The door was unlocked as they opened it and saw Keith lying on his side on the floor with a knife close.

"Keith!" Jackie shouted as she and Stacy ran towards him dropping on their knees.

Stacy immediately checked for a knife wound but found none. Then she checked his pulse and breathing.

"We need to sit him up and get him some water." Without missing a beat, all three carried Keith to the couch and sat him upright. Once that was done, Andy got a glass of water and poured it down Keith's mouth as Stacy kept his mouth open. After a few seconds Keith started to cough but never opened his eyes. Stacy looked around, saw how many beer cans were on the kitchen table and immediately called 911. She gave the woman on the line all the details needed and minutes later there was an ambulance outside.

The EMTs quickly went to work getting Keith's vitals, got him on a stretcher and into the ambulance. Jackie and Stacy rode with them on the way to hospital.

***********************************************

Keith slowly started to wake up, but not in a position that he was normally in and he felt something in his upper hand. Once he opened his eyes he saw he wasn't home but in a hospital room. He looked around, saw screens showing his vitals and that he had an IV in his hand. Then he saw her, slouched in the chair sleeping. He took a deep breath wondering if he should wake her, but decided against it. He didn't know why she was here, in his hospital room, yet there she was.

He looked away from her, feeling ashamed for where he was...and wished he hadn't passed out before putting the knife into his stomach. Tears started down his face. His sniffling woke Jackie.

She saw that Keith was awake and immediately jumped out of the chair and went to his side.

"Oh my god Keith, you're awake," she said joyously. "I'm so glad you're awake!" Keith didn't turn to look at her. "Please look at me," she begged.

Keith turned his head and saw something he did not expect. Jackie was smiling, happy to see him. He had missed seeing that smile. Her smile could light up adark room and make anyone feel at ease, even him at that moment.

"What are you doing here?" he asked.

"My boyfriend wasn't feeling too well and I'm here to hold his hand to let him know I'm here for him," she said as she put her hand into his.

"But you broke up with me."

"I did," she admitted still with that same loving smile, "but an old friend of yours convinced me you were setup."

"What old friend?" Keith asked confused.

Right on cue the door opened to the room and Stacy walked in. "Good, you're awake. You had us scared there for a minute."

"Stacy?"

"In the flesh."

"What the hell is going on?"

"You drank a little too much and gave yourself alcohol poisoning."

"Ok, but how did I end up here," Keith turned to face Jackie, "and I still don't quite understand why you are here."

Stacy pulled up two chairs closer to the bed as she and Jackie sat in them with Jackie still holding Keith's hand. They explained to Keith how Stacy had convinced Jackie that not only you couldn't have cheated because wouldn't have helped Stacy cheat but because the events of the morning didn't add up. Then they explained how they had called him and how the phone conversation went that scared Stacy enough to think something bad was going to happen.

"And well we found you on the floor and called 911," Stacy finished.

Keith turned his head to look at Jackie with the smile still there, putting him more at ease every second. "I'm sorry Jackie."

Jackie shook her head. "You have nothing to apologize for. I'm just glad you're alive."

"But you've been put through hell and back."

"We both have this week Keith."

"Do you want me to see if I can get us some coffee Jackie?" Stacy asked, looking for a reason to give them some privacy.

"Coffee sounds good, thank you," Jackie said appreciative of the offer. Stacy left the room letting Jackie ask the next question she had on her mind. "Keith, how..." Jackie took a deep breath not wanting to ask the question, but she needed to know, "were you going to take your own life last night?" Keith looked away now wanting to answer. "Please tell me." Jackie squeezed his hand, wanting an answer.

"Yes," Keith admitted. "Everything was crumbling around me and I couldn't stop thinking of you," he turned his head to look at her again, "I missed you Jackie and deeply hurt you by what you thought I did."

"I know you didn't sleep with Lauren," Jackie comforted, "but I still don't understand how you two got into bed naked."

"I actually know, but you may not believe me."

"You know? How?"

Keith took a deep breath before he answered. "Jillian came by later that night and told me she setup everything to get her revenge."

"Jillian setup up what exactly?"

"Lauren is actually Jillian's best friend."

Jackie's mouth went agape, stunned by that reality. "But that one night at the bar where Lauren bitch slapped Jillian."

"All part of the plan to get us to never suspect her."

"Fuck." Jackie leaned back into the chair taking everything in. "Damn she was patient."

***************************************

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Andy asked Jackie

"Yes," she stated calmly looking forward at the road ahead.

"We know the truth. You don't need to do this."

"I want to hear from the bitch's mouth why she went along with the plan knowing what had happened to me in the past."

Andy made the turn into the apartment complex Lauren lived in and found a parking spot close to her building. "Don't you think you should wait a week to do this? Doesn't Keith need you back at home?"

"Stacy said she would take care of him while I was gone," she said looking at the building, taking a deep breath. "Thank you for bringing me here."

"Someone has to make sure you don't kill her." Jackie glared at Andy. "I don't want to see you go to jail now that you and Keith are back together. Almost losing you once was bad enough to see."

Jackie looked down thinking about Andy's words. "I guess she could use some protection."

They got out of the car and headed towards Lauren's building. They buzzed her apartment and they were surprised to be let in right away. Once they get to her door they were ready to knock, but it was opening as they got there, hearing a familiar voice that made Jackie rage. With the door completely open, Jackie slapped the woman across the face as hard as she could and the woman staggered not expecting the slap.

"What the fuck," Jillian exclaimed before turning her head to see that Jackie was the one who slapped her who was now being held back by Andy. "What the hell was that for?" she asked rubbing her cheek.

"That was for everything you put me through bitch," Jackie seethed with anger.

Jillian stood straight back up and looked Jackie in the eye. "You honestly believe I had anything to do with Keith sleeping with another woman?"

"Since you're here in said woman's apartment who also so happens to be your best friend, yes you would and did."

Jillian smiled. "Well I see everyone now knows the truth."

Jackie tried to get another slap in on Jillian but Andy held her back, now trying to get her to leave. "She's not worth it Jackie. Just forget about her."

Jackie stopped struggling and looked at Andy. He nodded his understanding of her hate for Jillian and she reluctantly turned around to leave with Andy. They got into Andy's car and started the drive back to Keith.

"Thank you Andy."

"For what?"

"Not letting me kill her."

Andy smiled at her answer. "Killing her would have done no one any good, not even Keith.

"I just can't believe she really went through all the trouble and waited all that time just to try to ruin Keith's life."

"Jillian doesn't think about anyone but herself. The fact that she even used me to get to Keith is proof of that."

Jackie shook her head in disbelief. "How can she be such a coldhearted bitch? What made her that way?"

"I honest don't know," Andy admitted, "but I certainly do not want to find out. Knowing might be even worse."

12