It Could Happen to You

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
carvohi
carvohi
2,570 Followers

When Celine missed May we didn't think a thing of it, but when June rolled around and Celine started feeling a little off her oats we knew something was brewing. She and I talked it over; it had to have been the night we went out with our parents. Celine had been careful, but careful is a tricky word. Careful meant diaphragm and spermicide; not just diaphragm. We were about to become, heck we already were, a growing family.

There was never any question about keeping the baby. Sure we could have gone the abortion route, but we'd get to think about it for the next fifty years. We knew we'd never be able to handle the 'what ifs'.

Both sets of parents were moderately pleased; they approved of our decision to keep the baby, but they weren't so happy that we'd been a tad careless.

Celine and I did the numbers. With luck we'd get through the fall of my senior year, but it looked like that last semester would take a little longer. The way Celine mapped it out I'd be done all my undergraduate work about six months later than the original plan. That of course included babysitting from both soon to be grandmothers.

So we marched through the summer. Celine set up the Lamaze classes. She reorganized our tiny apartment. Together we hit the yard sales and used furniture shops, our grandparents looked through their attics, and pretty soon we had the all the baby stuff we'd need-right down to the diapers. Oh did we scrimp and save, but it was for a common cause. We were living the 'purpose driven' life. Man it was great!

Fall came and I was back in school. We fixed it so I'd have a heavier load; anything to get the job done as soon as possible.

Those were some wonderful times. I guess it's a little egotistical, but I was really proud to be attending the Lamaze classes. Celine was such a pretty pregnant mother-to-be I just burst with joy. I remember the first sonogram, the first kick, the time we found out our baby was going to be a girl. We went through a million books trying to decide on the perfect name. Celine even started talking about saving for the baby's college education. What a great time!

Celine was pregnant, and she never looked more beautiful, she really blossomed. I'd loved her before, but with the baby coming I was walking on air. She was a wonderful wife and the greatest daughter and daughter-in-law; I knew when the time came she'd be the best mother ever!

I'm not saying it was all pink and rosy; there was the morning sickness, the crying jags, trips for the store for odd food choices, fears regarding birthing problems, uncertainty about birth defects, and her uncertainty about her weight and post birth shape. Yeah we worried about all the things pregnant families worried about, but we did it together and didn't miss mass, not once. For sure, I hadn't been a Catholic, but changing denominations was a small thing for me. Celine wanted everything to be just right, and if that meant doing it Catholic then I said 'go for it'. Come on, Celine Sullivan, nee Campanaris was my little goddess. I worshiped her.

The blessed day came; our baby arrived at 11:03 a.m. January eleventh. She was our precious little Cira Angelina Fiametta Sullivan; she came in at 6lbs. 7ozs. She was nineteen inches on the nose! A perfect brand new baby, a clean and fresh new human being! I looked at Celine holding our perfect adorable little bundle and I was the happiest man alive.

~~V~~

My brother David had been gone about four years when Cira arrived. That was just about how long one term of enlistment was in the navy. I never gave it much thought. David had been gone so long, and nobody'd heard from him. I'd almost forgotten I had a brother

Mom called me around 1:00 in the afternoon. She was all excited, "Guess what Michael!"

"What mom? Did we win the lottery?"

"No David's home. He just got in!"

My mind did a tumble-sought. Old ghosts and old worries started to resurface. What was I going to say? What would Celine say? How would she feel? What would David say? I didn't think he had any claim on Celine; he was the one who'd run off-not her. Yeah, I was the one who'd stayed around. I was the one who'd picked up the pieces, applied the balm, bore the pain. She was my girl. She was my wife!

More bad vibes started to hatch out. At the time we'd started over Celine had assured me she was a virgin; that there'd never been a Tommy Sheldon. I knew that was most likely a lie: I'd known it from the first time. Well I guess I did. Oh I was sure whatever she'd done hadn't been much, but I thought I knew uncharted ground from a previously plowed field. She may not have been plowed much, but I knew I hadn't been the first. But then who really knew...or even cared?

So David was home; where would that take us? Celine was just getting out of the shower; it was near time for her to go to work. I called back, "Hey Celine!"

She shouted out, "Yes sweetie?"

"That was my mom; guess whose back?"

She came in wrapped in a terrycloth robe with a towel swimming around her long black hair, "Who? Do tell."

I was careful. I tried to be casual, but I don't think I quite made it, "David's back." I saw it; the look. 'Jesus,' I thought, 'she's still carrying a torch.' I'm not much into music, but I've always enjoyed country. Until they retired Alabama had been my all-time favorite group; that song, "Old Flame" just jumped out at me.

Christ! I remembered the lyrics! "There's an old flame burning in your eyes. That tears can't drown and make-up can't disguise. Now that old flame might not be stronger but..." I felt like I was going to be sick.

Celine's split second response disappeared. She replied, "Really? When did he get back?"

A stone had fallen on my soul. I answered, "Don't know. Mom just said he was back."

Celine started walking back to our bedroom. As she walked back she said, "We'll have to invite him over.

You better check the baby I think there's something in there. Smells like it."

I heard her shuffling around getting dressed. She'd be gone in a few minutes. I got up, "I'll check her now." While I checked the baby and pretended to be busy Celine got ready for work.

Ten minutes later she was gone. This was her 2:00 to 10:00 shift so she'd be home about 10:30. Most employees left at 9:00, but she was a supervisor and usually stayed a little longer. I had almost nine hours to fret and worry. Thank God it was a Friday; she'd be back in at 8:00 the next morning. My work schedule had me in a little later at 9:00 right after mom Campanaris came over to keep an eye on Cira. We'd just started the spring term; I was taking two classes, and tonight was to be my night to study. After these two spring classes I only had a few more and I'd be done, and now David...what was I going to do?

That problem was partly solved about an hour later. David showed up at our apartment. He was armed with a case of some kind of expensive beer. Of course, what with the baby we didn't allow alcohol in the apartment. I invited him in, but...

"Dave," I said, "Mom just called and told us you were back."

He grinned.

I didn't like the grin.

He said, "Yeah, just got out and thought I'd come home," He held up the beer, "Look at what I've got."

I looked at the beer and smiled, "Looks great, but Celine doesn't like booze in the house...you know...the baby."

Dave pushed right by me, "Come on Michael. It's me. Celine won't mind." Beer in tow he walked on up the stairs to our place. I followed.

We went to the kitchen. He went ahead and pushed two six packs in the refrigerator. He unpacked a third, slipped the lid off one and handed it to me. Then he slipped the lid off another and dropped it down his throat in what we used to call a torpedo. I thought, 'Thank God Cira was asleep.'

David sat back, "So what's up little brother. I hear you married my girl; even got a kid of your own now. Tell me how'd you do it?"

I watched him as he finished a second beer before I'd had a sip of my first. My mind was going a mile a minute. I didn't like his look. Well maybe it was the navy, but other guys had been in the navy and didn't come back well...looking like... Shit! What's wrong with me? He's my brother! I should be glad he's back. Yeah I should be ashamed, but I was prejudiced.

He didn't know it, he was my enemy now, but still, he was my brother! Yet there was something about him; he didn't look just right. I'd seen the look around town. He had the look of...of...he had the look of an addict! He had that 'lean and hungry' look Shakespeare described.

I remembered David was always kind of cavalier about and around to other people, but I think I saw a meanness in him now. I tried to remember; had it always been there?

He was thinner than I remembered, and I saw other things too. He had tattoos, but they were black tattoos, not the kind a professional artist would ink. Sailors had tattoos; in fact tattoos were a fashion statement now. But I knew his tattoos; they were jailhouse tattoos. I wondered if he'd ever been in jail, if he'd even been in the navy.

I asked him, "We haven't heard from you in four years. So tell me, how was the navy?"

He smiled, no it was more a snarl, "Oh the navy. It was great, but I had to get out, time to move on...you know."

I pressed a little, "Come on Dave, four years. What'd you do? Were you on a ship?"

He opened another beer, "Yeah I was on a carrier. Maybe you heard of it, the Ronald Reagan," then he changed the subject, "Mom told me you and Celine got married. Got a kid too I hear. When'd you get married? What I guess she couldn't wait. Bet you had to didn't you."

I thought, 'Where did that come from?'

I changed the subject back to the navy. He'd driven up in what looked like a brand new car. I knew next to nothing about the type except that they were way out of our price range. I said, "Well you must have done pretty well in the navy; that's a classy car you've got."

He turned his head; he wouldn't look at me, "Yeah I did all right. So mom said you got a baby girl."

I took my second sip of beer, "Want to see her?"

He smiled, no it was more a smirk, "Sure, show me the baby."

I got up, and he did too. I said, "Leave the beer here."

He put the beer down, "Sure buddy."

He followed me into the bedroom. Our bedroom doubled as a nursery. Celine and I wanted to be close to Cira all the time. Celine was extra careful with the crib and stuff. We'd read up on things like SIDS. No sir, no thick plastic liners or anything like that around our baby's head, no chance of an accident if we could help it. I walked David in and showed him our baby.

He leaned down and looked at her. He looked awkward, uncomfortable. I could relate to that. He gave me an evil, I'd say malicious grin. I couldn't relate to that. He asked, "She yours?"

That took me back! I was surprised he'd even think something like that. I tried to smile, but I know it didn't work, "Oh she's mine all right."

He glanced over my head at our computer, "Mind if I smoke?"

I was aghast! I answered, "No, not here, not a chance. Celine and I don't smoke, and never allow anything like that around our baby" I put a little extra emphasis on the 'our' in our baby.

He stepped back, "No shit! No booze, and no smokes. What's this a prison?"

I grinned, but didn't mean it, "No it's our nursery." Thank God Cira was didn't wake up. I took my brother's arm and steered him back to the kitchen. He offered no resistance. I felt his arm. I'm no muscle man; in fact I'm skinny. Celine says I'm too skinny. She said once if a big wind came up she'd lose a husband. Well it might not be that bad, but for sure David's arm was nothing but bone! He felt emaciated. I walked him to the kitchen. I couldn't help but notice something else; I bet he knew more about what little we owned than I did. It was like he was casing the joint!

We went back in. He asked me how I'd managed to swing it with Celine. I told him our story, but I left out the parts about Tommy Sheldon and our arguments. Then near the end of my sanitized version of our story David said something that really floored me.

He said, "Yeah I remember Celine was a hot little piece. I'm glad you got to tap into it."

I didn't say anything. He didn't say anything for a minute or two either, but by then he'd figured it out, "Hey Michael I was just...hey nothing happened between me...and...you know...nothing happened."

It was my turn to smirk; this wasn't my brother, "Yeah I know she'd have told me if it had."

He looked around at the refrigerator. He was on the last beer from the six pack he'd first opened. I hadn't taken more than three sips from my first beer. He looked at me, then at the refrigerator, then back at me, "Mind if I?"

I smiled, "Yeah you should take it with you. Celine would blow her mind if she saw it in there." He figured it out. I'd sent him on his way.

He gave me another of those not really a smile smiles, "Mom says you're a college boy."

I replied, "Yeah, nearly through too. In fact this is my study night." That had to be enough message.

He got it, "Yeah I better blow," he got up and went to the refrigerator, "want me to leave you a couple?"

"No," I said, "Celine would kill me."

He laughed then, a genuine laugh, "Yeah she could be a bitch, I mean she could..."

I interrupted him, "Yeah I know."

My 'one time' brother got his three six packs of beer, tipped his hand in mock salute and started for the stairs, I walked him down and saw him off.

I hurried back upstairs to check on Cira. She was still asleep. I leaned in real close just to make sure she was OK, she was. I went back to where I kept my books and sprawled across the bed. I needed to study, but I wanted to stay close to my daughter too. I guess the old protective instincts, the old guard the household, were kicking into overdrive.

I laid there across the bed and tried to read and study, but thoughts of my brother kept intruding. I wondered what it had been like when he was in the navy. I wondered if he ever was even in the navy. I saw through him; he was a troubled man, a dangerous man. How could he have changed so much? Then again; had he really changed or was it that I didn't see it when he was home when I was so much younger. I was less aware back then. He did things that, back then, seemed adventurous; things I'd been too scared to do.

It came through stark and clear; I couldn't trust him. I was confident Celine would see through him too. I reassured myself; nothing to worry about. Cira started to squirm. I checked the clock; yeah soon be time for a feeding. I got up.

Celine got home her usual time. She saw the beer cans in the trash. That was my fault; I'd at first thought to throw them out, but then I thought I'd let Celine see them. Well that was kind of smarmy, but she needed to see.

Celine saw the cans, "Where did those cans come from?"

"David stopped by; he brought them."

She gave me a quizzical look, "You let him drink...here...with the baby?"

"Honest," I said, "he kind of just slipped them by. I didn't get a chance to stop him."

She gave me a cross look, "I thought we agreed, no alcohol after the baby came."

"He jumped me Celine. He got them in before I..."

She was tired and in no mood to argue, "We'll have no more of that OK?"

"Sure honey," I said, "You're tired. Want me to give you a back rub?"

She half yawned half frowned, "No just get the trash out. I'm tired. I'm going to bed."

I took the trash out. Came in and checked on Cira. She needed to be changed and I did it. By the time I got undressed and ready for bed Celine was already down. We usually cuddled a little before we went off, but I guessed not tonight. She wasn't asleep though. She said something to me.

Celine was lying on her side under the covers with her head on her pillow facing away from me, "Your mom asked me to call her today."

"She did?"

"Yes, so I called her on my break. You've seen David; your mom's worried about him."

"Yeah, you know I saw him, but I didn't see anything to worry about."

Celine rolled over, "He's got Brucellosis. Your mom said he got it while he was in the Mediterranean. They shipped him out on a medical. He could die."

I thought about the guy I'd seen. He looked sickly, but I doubted if it had anything to do with whatever it was he might have told mom, "Mom said that?"

"Yes and she's worried. She wants us to help look out for him."

'Damn', I thought, 'the bastard's up to something. I whispered, "OK."

~~V~~

The house phone rang. It was a Saturday and in spite of the fact it was probably some telemarketer I picked it up. It was my mom, "Hello Michael?"

"Hi mom, what's up?"

"David's got Brucellosis."

I yawned. I hoped mom didn't hear it, "Yeah I heard. Celine told me last night."

"We've got to help him," My mom replied.

I'd looked the damn disease up on the Internet earlier before Celine left for work. I showed her it was a bogus disease. David had pulled it out of thin air. Celine refused to believe me. I didn't expect much more from my mom, but I tried, "Look mom this Brucellosis thing is all in his head. I'm not saying he's lying; I'm saying he's mixed up. He's got other problems."

"Oh Michael...he's your brother. He should be getting veterans benefits. They should be treating him. They won't though. Haven't you been following the news; veterans all over the country are getting the shaft. Now it's your brother."

Mom was right about the veterans, but at the moment I wasn't sure David was a veteran. He'd run away four years ago. He said he was joining the navy, then no one heard from him until the other day when he came back looking, to me anyway, like a heroin addict, and claiming he got something while serving our country. It didn't add up. That's not what I said. I told mom, "Mom you know we'll be here for him."

"OK Michael," said mom, "He's going to need a lot of TLC, at least until he gets back on his feet."

"Not to worry mom. We're here. You know me."

"Thanks honey. Look I've got to go. Your brother's staying with us for now. He's back in his old room. I think he had a tough night. I hear him upstairs now so I'm going to hang up and fix him some breakfast. Bye, bye."

Mom hung up so I did too. 'Shit,' I thought, "I bet he had a tough night, He left here with three six packs. There's no beer in my parent's place. They don't drink the stuff. Oh yeah, I bet he had a tough night. He's more than likely hung over, or coming down off a high. I know what I've got to do.

With just a little energy anyone can find out almost anything about a person's past military record. If David's telling the truth it'll be there. I'm not interested in the disease; just if he was honorably discharged. If he was then I'll be there for him. If I can't find it, then well...' Oh shit I realized if I didn't get a move on I'd be late for work.

Mom Campanaris was walking over now. I loved that woman. She caught me while I was coming down the stairs, "Michael we heard your brother's back."

I said, "Yeah, he was by yesterday."

She looked kind of funny, she said, "You're not worried...you know...about...," she kind of hinted toward our apartment. I knew what she meant. I smiled, "Of course not. Celine and I are married."

She smiled back, but I didn't think she was sure. That scared me, just a little anyway.

~~V~~

Well I'd done what I'd planned. I went to work, did my duty, came home and found Celine fixing something for dinner. David, my poor innocent brother was in 'my' living room holding Cira; that caused me to involuntarily shudder. I walked in, "Hey gang how's it going?"

Celine was trying to coax some olive oil over the bottom of a fry pan. She smiled at me, "David's joining us for dinner. I thought we'd have some fried eggs and bacon."

carvohi
carvohi
2,570 Followers