Jamie - The Journey Begins Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"We've done well - Mom hasn't even appeared. I was waiting for her to appear, but maybe she got it all out of her system last night."

I smiled up at dad. "Thanks, Dad. You're the best." I walked to the passenger side and jumped into my truck for the last time, for a little while anyway.

"Jamie, you know Mike wants to look after your truck while you're away, right? I heard him and TY talking about doing some day trips around the place."

"Yeah, all good Dad. I told Jules she could borrow my truck to move her stuff if she needed. Mike had selflessly offered - no, insisted - to look after the truck while I was gone, too," I smirked as we pulled out of the driveway. "I'm sure Jules will sort it out."

"Mike promised me he'll take good care of it, Dad, so I'm not too worried. And hey, he's a cop - what's he going to get up to, really?" I was just aimlessly looking out the window, taking in the quiet streets. I like this time of day when we come off shift after a busy night - it has a calming effect on the soul.

"I hope the guys involve Sam in stuff, Dad. I've asked Gav, Mike, and Dave to look out for, well not look after, but involve him in the group. He fits in well, and I just..."

Dad looked at me, with that calming 'it will be all right' look I've seen since I was a kid.

"I'll make sure they take care of them both, Sam and your truck, ok?"

I opened my mouth to say... Dad cut me off.

"And no, I won't let Mason drive your truck either, ok? That was what you were going to say, right?"

I slipped back into my seat, not even looking at Dad, folding my arms across my chest. Damn him, he can still read me like a book. "Yep."

This conversation and the atmosphere in the truck was getting too deep and meaningful. I needed some tunes to break it all up. Leaning over, I turned on the radio. Shawn Mendes started to fill the cabin. For a young guy, he's got his shit together, probably more than me. I laughed out loud.

I started to quietly sing along, looking out the window again.

..o0o..

We pulled up outside the international terminal. Dad and I agreed to a drop and run, so we slowed and pulled to the curb and stopped. The feelings of apprehension and excitement were filling me. I love coming to the airport, even just to drop people off. I get the whole "wings fluttering" feeling every time I come here, have since I was a kid. Still, I was unsure about how I had left things with Sam, and Mom too.

"Ok, looks like we're here, son. I'll give you a hand." Dad pulled the truck into park, leaving it running and stepping out.

We met up at the curbside of the truck. I pulled the small roller bag and my backpack out of the tub, looking down at my bags on the sidewalk. "Wow I am traveling light," I remarked to no one in particular.

"Ok, this is it I guess, son," Dad said with an air of reservation in his voice. "Have a fantastic holiday. Remember, Jamie, our days are bookended by a beautiful Sunrise and Sunset. They're meant to be enjoyed. Have fun. Leave all your worries behind, ok?"

Looking directly into my eyes, he said, "Just promise me, no silly stunts, helping people out, ok? Remember your training - no unnecessary risks, ok, James?"

Hmm, Jame..., he was serious. Last time he called me James, I was getting my butt tanned for shaving off one of Mason's eyebrows in his sleep. It hurt like hell, but so-so worth it.

I didn't even get a chance to answer. He just pulled me into a hug. I wrapped my arms around him. Sometimes it's nice for your Dad to give you a hug even when you're a grown man.

We broke free after a few seconds. "Bye, Dad. Thanks for everything, and please look after Mom, ok?"

"Have fun, son. It'll be ok."

I turned and walked towards the doors into the terminal building, stopping for a moment to wave bye to Dad. The crowds had started to thicken as there were a lot of flights out mid-morning, obviously, today. It was like the entrance to a football match - people of all shapes and sizes everywhere.

I finally made it across the to the check-in counter. I'd been given a higher level Frequent Flyer pass to the club lounge by someone at work that travels a lot, so I was able to check in at the business class desk.

"Good Morning. Welcome to 'Qantas'," the chirpy check-in staff member greeted me with a nice smile.

I placed my passport and frequent flyer card on the check-in counter, and 'Michael', the Qantas staff member swiped my card and began to check me in.

"Mr. Spence, you're traveling to..."

"Los Angeles."

"Any luggage today, Sir?"

"Just this bag. I'll take the backpack with me as carry-on, if that's ok."

"Not a problem. Just put the bag here on the luggage belt. I'll tag it up for you."

Michael was tapping away. They seem to do millions of keystrokes for something that's been filled out, confirmed and paid for all well before getting to the counter.

"Great, Mr. Spence. I see you're on a round world ticket. Looking forward to a nice holiday, I bet. Lucky guy."

"Thanks. Please call me 'Jamie'. I wasn't overly sure about this, but now I'm here, well, why not, hey!"

"I'm sure a good-looking guy like you will have a ball, Mr. Spence. Here's your passport back. I see you've already arranged the online visa to the US. That's great - it will save you loads of time when you reach California. Also, your priority card to clear customs - just show the guys behind the glass doors when you go through to the gate lounges and they'll put you in the express lane."

"Oh wow, express pass. Thanks Michael, that's awesome. I took my paperwork and passport and looked at the boarding pass. Looking back up at Michael, I queried, "Um... Michael... there seems to be a mistake on the boarding pass. It says Business Class?"

"No mistake, Mr. Spence. Your travel leg to the States has been upgraded to Business Class."

I was shocked, stumbling a little with my thoughts. "Um-Ok. Thanks, Michael." I stuttered a little, "Thanks" and turned away, walking towards the international gate lounges. Once you walk through those glass doors, you're on your way out.

Looking down at the boarding pass still, moving away from the check-in counters, I was completely oblivious to the people standing in front of me, a movement beside me caught my eye and I looked up. It was Sam!

I stopped dead in my tracks, mouth open and no words coming out. I then realized that he wasn't there alone, Mom, Steph, Gav, Dave, TY and all the boys were there. I tried to speak but nothing came out. Clearly, those guys in my head had gone for coffee again.

Then a pair of hands grabbed my shoulders. It was my dad. I could tell even before he spoke. "Your Mother and I hope you like your little going away gift."

Craning my head around to look Dad in the face, and what a smile too, "The upgrade? Mom-Dad, you shouldn't have. It's too much."

Mom and the gang swept me up in a giant hug, "it's worth it, every penny of it, James," said Mom as she kissed my cheek.

"Thanks, Mom-Dad. I don't know what to say, but thanks." Tears were forming again, but this time they slipped down my face. I'd never had something so kind and extravagant done for me. It was very humbling. I was feeling very loved right about now. The horrors of my marriage and mess that it was were fading fast into a distant memory.

Sam piped up, "Thanks for the Pic, buddy. I loved it," and kissed me on the cheek.

I turned as much as I could in the human puzzle that I had now found myself in. I pulled Sam closer to me. "How did you get here, all of you?"

Sam started. "Vince wasn't taking 'no' for an answer. After last night, he texted me while you were in the shower and arranged the whole thing. He even sent a car around for your Mom and sister. Although, you bailing early almost blew it." Sam gave me a look of surprise and a little bit of sadness too. You're normally so noisy in the morning stumbling around..."

Everyone joined in a single voice, "Clumsy Ninja." Laughter broke out all around.

Mom jumped in then, "Luckily, I was just about to follow your Dad out to the truck when I spotted you walking down the street towards us. So, I messaged that lovely Vince to wait five minutes, which turned into ten. It was a lovely moment watching you and your Dad this morning, Jamie," whispering the last bit so not everyone heard.

For some reason the memories of what Sam and I got up to after the shower last night made my face blush immediately. Steph spotted it.

"Jesus, what did you to get up to? Mom, look. Look at Jamie's face. He's lit up like a stop light."

All I could do was groan and shoot dagger looks at Steph. I was pinned in the group hug, but her time would come, mark my words.

We all headed over to one of the cafés and proceeded to break their espresso machine with the large number of espressos being ordered and refilled. Then, the locust plague moved on to the pastry cabinet -- man, those guys can eat! Plus, Mom saying every minute you didn't have food in your mouth, 'eat up boys, Robert and I are paying. Can't have you boys going on an empty stomach,' it was a fantastic way to spend final hour at the airport before I had to go and board the A380 waiting for me.

I managed to slip around and say my goodbyes properly this time to everyone, even enough to satisfy Mom, too, holding Sam's hand in mine for the most of it. Then it was time, really was time, for me to go.

Mom came over and put her hands-on mine and Sam's shoulders. "Sam, maybe you'd like to walk Jamie over to the departures gateway while I get this lot moving." She placed a gentle kiss on both our cheeks. "Please be careful, Jamie. If you need anything, just call collect if you have to, ok? Promise me, ok?"

"Thanks, Mom, I will, and thank you for everything."

Taking my cue from Mom I yelled out goodbye to everyone and walked around the corner with Sam towards the departures gateway. Stopping just to the side where we had some privacy, although I was feeling emotional and really couldn't have given a fuck if anyone cared that we are holding each other, I leaned forward and placed my forehead against Sam's. It was like a sound curtain had come down around us - I couldn't hear anything else but Sam's breathing and my heart pounding in my ears and chest.

Sam pulled back a little, then moved forward and kissed me. Our lips touched gently. It wasn't passionate or steamy... it was 'Goodbye'.

There was nothing more to say.

We pulled apart in silence, looking into each other's eyes. Christ, I was starting to tear up again. What the hell is going on today with my eyes? Sam was broken. There was a constant stream of quietly falling tears rolling down his face. Leaning in again, I kissed him, this time knowing it was probably going to be the last time we kissed. I made sure that it was one we wouldn't ever forget. It was searing and passionate, and very, very personal.

We broke apart as I heard my name being paged. I turned and walked towards the gateway, looking back once more.

'Bye, Sam,' I mouthed with a wave.

Sam replied, 'Bye Jamie,' with a sad smile on his face, all red and puffy from tears and our last passionate kiss. We must have looked a treat, but I didn't care.

I think I just said 'goodbye' to the best thing that has happened to me ...

12