Jono's Journey Home Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Sorry Jono, I wasn't sure you could maintain your cover, and I really did need you to look casual. It was a calculated risk."

The General chimed in, "Don't you think you should have notified someone in his chain of command that you were taking such a 'calculated risk?' Col Fibrin, I have never doubted the intelligence of a man who wears the same uniform as I do. This boy only had six months on active duty and no field training."

Fibrin replied, "Sir, there was a valid security aspect of both cases. I could not risk Jono's involvement becoming public knowledge. With respect, his CO isn't known for his good judgment, as recent events have borne out." He rested his hand on the back of my neck and continued, "General one thing I will tell you, if this boy was a staff sergeant, and on his second enlistment, I would be recruiting him into the OSI." The look on the general's face told me he was not impressed.

Fibrin continued, "Sir Jono, is a natural for covert operations. Part of the reason I like the Mobile TACS people is that because of their mission they have to be multi-faceted. They have to be truck drivers, security, field medical, and construction crews on top of their day to day jobs."

He took a deep breath, "Sir, Jono and I were in that bar less than 5 minutes and my cover was blown they knew I was out of place. The wait staff was already going around telling customers to be careful around us thinking I was CID. I was just about to abort the operation when Jono pulled it out of the fire. He noticed something I didn't, the bartender was deaf and lip reading bar orders. Did you know Jono can sign in 3 languages?"

I told them a few of my foster siblings were deaf. Alex continued. "I looked over and he's signing to the bartender. The next thing I know there's a ice bucket chilled vintage champagne on our table, an apology note, and a complimentary key to one of the play rooms upstairs. To this day the boy hasn't told me exactly what he said."

I interjected, "There's a reason why I haven't told you. I heard what the staff was saying, I went a little bit off script. I signed to the bartender begging him and the staff to stop, that they were making my date nervous. I said that it had been six months since I got laid. I was so desperate, I'd even steal time from my very married boss. It must have worked because the staff did go around again and smoothed the waters. Most of the other guests smiled or winked in my direction."

I realized I had better get back on point. "The scumbags at the next table even relaxed and continued their discussions in Turkmen of how they could smuggle heroin through the army supply chain back into the states the next month. On the way out the bartender slipped a note in my pocket apologizing for screwing up my night. He also told me I could do better and gave me his address." The four men fell out laughing.

Finally the General's laughter subsided. "Jono, I was wondering if you join me in the office. I'd kind of like to have a one-on-one chat with you." I wondered 'oh shit what did I do now' but stood and followed after him.

As soon as the door closed the general put his finger in my chest, "Jono I'm going to tell you one thing son. Don't trust that son-of-a-bitch Fibrin. He never should have used you like that, on a tactical operation with only six months on active duty and no real training to speak of. I know you have some mighty powerful natural skills, but he still wrote a check with your life that he didn't have the right to cash. If he couldn't trust your CO, he should've found someone higher."

He sat and motioned me to do the same. "I'm not sure he even recognizes the fact that you bailed his ass out. Jono, how far would he have gone to maintain his cover? What if he had to take you upstairs to one of those play rooms? How far would you have had to go if there was a camera present? He took way too many chances with a you. The fact that he left you unguarded this morning is unacceptable."

"Sir, I wouldn't exactly call myself unguarded. The half dozen men on the landing are nothing to sneeze at."

"Jono, the protocol set down by command said that you were not to be left alone. I know you didn't get all the stats on your protection detail, mostly because the host nation and parent command didn't want you nervous. These men aren't screwing around, they want you dead. It's our job to keep you alive."

He twisted in his chair. "As far as the second operation, I know he didn't put your name into his report. Isn't it odd to you, there's an Eastern Bloc agent hunting after you specifically. Suddenly they go active when Fibrin arrives, that is one hell of a coincidence. Son I believe in coincidences, they happen every day. I just don't trust them."

"On to new stuff. Jono, I was dead serious when I said there was a whole bunch of generals who could use an aide like you. I would like you to consider it. I'm not going to push you for an answer right now, but I would like you to think about it while you're here for the next 11 months. I can see you on the Go Team, but there are so many different ways you can serve. You need to start thinking outside your career field." With that we stood up and exited the room. Both Pete and Alex were gone. "Bryce what the hell's going on?!?"

"He's still here sir. Fibrin was informed, another of the Saudi soldiers was found dead just outside of the arboretum. He took Agent Ramirez to investigate."

"Did Ramirez ask to join the hunt or was he directed to?" The major responded that Pete had been directed by Fibrin. "Jono, this is what I meant. Fibrin knows where he is supposed to be. He is out hunting for glory. Bryce; you and Jono hold the fort, I have to brief Donnolly, this crap has gone far enough." He returned to the office to make the call.

I offered the web belt and weapon to the major. He turned it down saying I already had it dialed in for my waist, and he was already armed. We discussed some of the unit politics he was walking into. Simply put he was going to need to know where the bodies were buried. He already knew most of the players, he didn't know some of the tricks they used.

Fifteen minutes in our chatter was silenced. We heard the roofing material disturbed by footsteps, there was just enough time for us to take cover behind the counter. A man in urban camo dropped onto the terrace. I drew the 1911, and flipped the safety to fire. Something was very familiar about the way he moved. The figure suddenly turned in the direction of the office. I saw the office door begin to open in the reflection in the glass.

I sprung up from cover, "Drop you weapon to the ground!" I commanded. The man spun back in my direction as I fired three rounds. The glass door shattered and the subject crumpled to the deck in a heap. The rotunda door flew open as Yahya and his men rushed into the room. My 1911 slid from my hand as I spun to the right. I saw the curls of smoke coming from the Major's weapon.

It was as if time slowed to a crawl, searing white hot pain in my right shoulder as I too hit the floor. The major was saying something but I couldn't hear him. He was packing the white dish towels against my shoulder. They turned red almost immediately. My head rolled to the left in time to see Yahya examine the heap of flesh on the pool deck. A quick gesture of a thumb across his throat told me he was no longer a threat. He ripped the grey balaclava from the gunman's head and his head bounced on the pool deck facing me. The baby face of Naveed Yasin was revealed.

My eyes locked on Yahya's, they filled with panic seeing me on the ground. I felt like I was falling as my vision narrowed. Yahya's men stepped in. My new jacket and shirts were cut away. I rolled my head to the right and saw the wound oozing out a crimson flow. The blood pool in the wound bubbling with air and it was becoming harder to breathe. "This isn't good..." I thought. My vision faded to gray then black.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had the dream again this time it was a little different. Tam and I were still in the canoe drifting down Black Creek. Then I could see Mom and Dad tubing near us on the right. Mikaeel was just ahead. Jack, Aunt Bev and their baby girl were laughing and giggling on our left. It was a beautiful summer day.

The color drained from the sky to a sepia tone. The wind whipped up in the clouds rolled in. The giggling and laughter became sounds of panic and slowly one by one the voices faded. A wave crashed against the side of the canoe and it was overturned. I desperately thrashed around in the water looking for Tam, who is nowhere to be found. Another wave of crashed over my head and drove me under the water. As I surfaced I found myself wrapped in powerful arms. I spun so that I could look on Tam's face, only to see the face of Naveed looking back. Naveed's icy hands came up and wrapped around my throat, attempting to choke the life out of me. I fought to no avail, I could not escape his grasp. As the life drained from me, his flesh melted away leaving behind just the eery visage of death itself.

I woke to the face of my beloved Tamam in the bright hospital room leaning over me telling me that I was safe. I had in a surgical gown and tubes running out of my body. He was kissing my forehead and wiping the tears from my eyes. "My love, I have you. Nothing will harm you ever again." I knew he was right, as I fell back to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I awoke again to the smell of a hospital. God I hate hospitals. The room was now dark. My shoulder was killing me. I saw a familiar shape at the foot of the bed. "Tam?" I asked weakly. His head rolled up as if he was just waking. I pulled the non-rebreather mask from my face and asked again, "Is that you, Tam?"

He quickly came to my side and buried his face in my chest. He needed a shave. "I thought I had lost my sweet boy. I never should have left you alone."

"I was hardly alone. As to losing me, never my love, never. I am sorry to frighten you so." I replied in a weak whisper. "My chest is so tight, and it hurts."

Tam raised his head, but was clutching my hand. "Naveed is dead you and Major Daniels shot him 6 times. Sadly one of his rounds hit you. It punctured your right lung. Why did you stand? You were safe, all you had to do was shout for the guards."

"Tam, there wasn't time, the General was coming out of the office. If we didn't act he would've been killed. It was my duty." I saw the fatigue and worry on his face. "You look so rough my love. How long has it been?"

"You were shot 3 weeks ago. You slipped into a comma after you woke from surgery. The General was seeking to medevac you to Germany. After consulting the doctors the King forbade it." His lips crashed against mine, "As to my appearance, try sleeping in a hospital chair for three weeks." He pushed the call button.

"The Bulgarian Tam, did they get him?"

Tam paused then replied, "He was shot dead as he fled the hotel."

The nurse entered. Her eyes told me she too was smiling behind her hijab. She took my vitals and said, "I will tell the doctors, and our father Tamam." Then she departed.

Papa Omar, Naser, Najib, and the doctors entered the room. I knew they were doctors because they flipped on the fucking lights without warning. Damn that hurts the eyes, even my Tamam grumbled. Papa Omar rested his forehead to mine rubbing his nose on mine. "I am so happy, I thought I failed my friend again." He kissed my forehead.

I clutched his hand weakly, "Neither you nor your family has EVER failed me or mine, Papa."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The doctors did what doctors do ran tests and patted themselves on the back. I was in the hospital another four weeks when another familiar face was at my door. "Good morning General Mallory!" I asked Tam if I could talk to him alone. He nodded and left the room closing the door.

"Back at you son." He replied with a smile. He looked at my service dress uniform hanging on the closet door and ran his fingers over the three stripes. "First time I ever promoted someone while they were asleep." he laughed "I just flew in to drop of the first of the two new AWACS birds. I had to stop by and thank you for my life." He shook my hand and sat in the chair next to my bed. I adjusted the bed so I was sitting. "I am told the Doctor Connor is going to release you on convalescent leave today. Any ideas where you will be recouping?"

"Papa Omar wants me out at the ranch." My eyes misted over as I asked if he had been told the rest.

"Yeah, Doc Connor told me. He said when the bullet hit your scapula it shattered and went back into your right lung. It destroyed a crap-load of tissue. He also told me the Medical Review Board has recommended your retirement." his voice cracked as he continued "You are just so damn small son. I don't see a comeback on one and a quarter lungs. Added to the other damage you've earned the retirement."

I was now crying, "God, sir I thought you'd be the one telling me to fight my way back."

"Jono, I don't believe in blowing sunshine up anyone's ass. I told you once it was time to think outside your career field. Maybe it is time to think outside the service. You told me the Air Force was an means to and end. With your VEAP and VA benefits you can finish your education. If you were to make it back through the review board, and they reversed the ruling, you'd NEVER make it back to flight status. Without that you'd never qualify to be on either AWACS or the Go Team. Major Cawfield told me how you wanted to be on a flight-crew. That just is not possible anymore."

"I guess I just needed a cold dose of reality. Thank you sir, for not sugar coating it. Before I separate, is it possible to update my home of record to stay here? I have lived my life as an American, but I am Saudi too. I think I really need to know what that means. The base Imam and his son have been tutoring me in the beauty of Islam."

Truth be told, Yahya had been present at my side every day for the twelve hours Tam and Ben were on base. I began seeing the beauty my father saw in the faith. Like Tamam, Reza, and Naser I doubt I would ever be a particularly good Muslim.

He rubbed my hair, "Jono, I do think that can be arranged. In fact I don't think these folks will let you go. I will make sure the paperwork is ready in the orderly room. Oh, one more thing. I need you out on the air field this afternoon in your service dress uniform 1500. I wanna show you something cool."

"Forgive my appearance in advance. It'll look like I am wearing a duffel bag."

He replied, "It's not the uniform that is important. In the end, it comes down to the man who wears it." He shook my hand and then he left the room. Tam came in and held me till I regained composure. I was all his now, and for this moment in time it was more enough.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why does it always take do long to get out of a fucking hospital? The doctors and administrators came and went with kind words and parting instructions. Finally Prince Aziz, the Trauma doctor who treated me, and an orderly arrived with a wheel chair. "Is that really necessary? If the media is out there, I want the world to see these bastards failed! Can I please walk out under my own power?"

Aziz waived the orderly away. We exited the hospital, and the media was there. Tam was to my left and Aziz to my right. Both men were ready to catch me if I stumbled. Neither took this moment from me as we entered the car and drove off to the base.

While in the hospital Najib managed to reverse the name change associated with my Uncle Jack's adoption of me. I was beginning my new life with my father's name.

That meant paperwork and quality time with Sergeant Dennis. "Jono! Brah it is so good to see you! Shit man the place ain't been the same with out you." He grabbed my good arm and pulled me in for a Hawaiian hug. To be honest the hugs from his Polynesian frame hurt before I was shot.

As he released me and I could breathe again, I coughed and patted his massive chest. "Good seeing you again too sir." He pointed to the scale I removed my jacket and stood on the scale. My heart fell as it was leveled at 78 pounds. I lost 20 pounds.

"Damn Brah, I didn't think it was possible for you to get skinnier." He saw the pain on my face. "You'll get it back Jono. I got all the paperwork done just need you to sign."

It took about twenty minutes to sign it all. "I'll have to run the ID and line badge over to the Saudi side, our laminator is down again, fuckin low bid piece of crap. I'll have them to ya before you leave today. This is from our friends at finance."

I opened the fat envelope, "FUCK!" In my life I had seen a pile of money. NEVER this much handed to me at once.

"I am told General Donnolly had your rank adjusted to you day of enlistment. You were robbed brah. You shoulda come in as an A1C. That is your adjusted back pay and benefit money."

I knew with his sad, "Pau Brah" and hug, we were done.

I sealed my paperwork and pay envelope in Tam's briefcase, and put my jacket back on.

I rejoined Tam in the lobby and we headed over to the briefing room. General Mallory was standing between the King and General Donnolly CINC-USAFE. Captain Nelson called the room to attention.

General Mallory bellowed, "Senior Airman Al-Amin front and center." Tam passed the briefcase off to Naser and fell in on my six. I know he was there to catch me if I should fall. To be honest the ceremony was a blur.

As General Mallory read the citations as General Donnolly formally presented my Purple Heart and Silver Star for saving General Mallory. I was advised Lt Col Daniels was awarded his earlier. General Mallory called Vannessa and Omar Hassan forward. "By order of the Secretary of the Air Force Senior Airman Jono Bin Aban Al-Amin for his valor and exceptional devotion to duty is granted a Stripes For Exceptional Performance promotion to Staff Sergeant United States Air Force. Nessa and Papa Omar pinned on my new stripe.

Sgt Dennis handed the General my new ID and line badge, who in turn presented them to me. After a brief reception in the mess hall I said my goodbye's to my team mates.

Nasser said he would drive the baggage home. Najib walked the rest of us to his "new toy" a gold, tan, and black Bell 222. Tam and I climbed in the back and sank into the leather seats. His sister the nurse and Nessa sat across from us. I am not sure who was whose escort.

Tam buckled me next to himself in like a child. I could have done it myself, but I was too tired to fight. Besides I think it made him happy to do for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once airborne Tam loosened my seat-belt so I could lean against him. The sound of his heartbeat was better than any lullaby. A little over an hour later we were landing on the ranch. Tam and Naser's sister Fahima led Nessa to one of the guest suites.

Tam and Omar wanted Fahima close to me in case anything went wrong with my health. Ben approved a two week permissive TDY for Vanessa to help me get settled in. Tam set me down on the ground long enough for Papa Omar and Najib to welcome me home. Then they led the way to the house as Tam picked me up leaning the left side of my body against his.

I slung my left arm around his neck and rested my nose against his neck God I loved his smell. I missed not being with him sexually. It must have been worse for him, seven weeks is a long time for a man to go without. I knew we didn't have a lot of time he had to be back in Riyadh on Monday.

He carried me into his suite and set me down as if I was going to shatter. I started to remove my service jacket but my arm was not doing what I wanted it to. I just did this earlier, why can't I do it now I thought. I was getting frustrated. If I couldn't handle the big buttons on the jacket, how in the fuck am I going to get the little ones on the shirt open. A weak right arm. Damn what a cultural nightmare this is.