Just One Night

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I was fine," Harmony objected. "Gary is a wonderful man; he's just not a good dancer yet. A few more lessons, some patience and . . ."

She sighed and threw her hands in the air. "And he would have broken my leg. He's a clumsy horse on the dance floor. You were right."

"Not to worry," Stelian promised, "we'll take care of it."

Harmony laughed, shaking her head. "A new dress for me isn't going to help him dance any better."

"Again, here you are worrying," Stelian smiled. "Try to relax and let me take care of it. It's going to be alright. And you still haven't told me your name."

Harmony blushed. "It's Harmony," she whispered.

He was quiet for a moment. "That's a beautiful name. It's strong, but charming, and classic."

"Thank you," Harmony only managed to mouth the words. Stelian's attention was on the road, the car swooping over the pavement with a low growl, and she wasn't sure he even noticed she said it.

Harmony jumped as her cell phone cracked the warm silence. Her hands felt awkward as she pulled the phone from her purse.

She cringed as she saw the caller. "Hi," she tried hard to sound casual.

"What the heck do you think you're doing?" her mother's piercing voice yelled.

"Dress shopping." Harmony swallowed hard, fighting not to crumble under the weight of her mother's demanding screams.

"The real instructor showed up a few minutes ago," her mother yelled. "That man you're with doesn't even work here. You have no idea who he is. Tell him to bring you back this minute, or we're calling the police."

Harmony felt herself bristle. "And tell them what? That I'm shopping and I must be stopped? Be realistic, Mom. I know Stelian doesn't work there. He's here on business from Portland. You don't have to worry. I'll be home soon, okay?"

"You'll get back here right now, young lady, if you know what's good for you."

She clenched her jaw until it hurt. "I'm sorry, my battery is dying," she lied. "I have to go, otherwise I can't call you if there's an emergency. Goodbye."

"Are you going to . . ."

Harmony cut her mother off as she ended the call. She stared nervously at the phone before turning it off.

"Your mother?" Stelian asked.

Harmony felt her face go warm. "You caught that, huh?"

He nodded. "Not your fiancé?"

She furrowed her brow as she stared at her phone. "No," she half shrugged. "Not him." She sighed before stuffing her cell back in her purse.

"We're here," Stelian announced as he pulled up in front of a small shop.

Harmony waited as Stelian pulled himself from the car and opened her door. As she stepped into the store she felt herself starting to shiver. She reached out and touched one of the dresses, feeling the rich fabric in her fingers. She couldn't see any price tags.

"Ah, Stelian," the saleswoman greeted him as she slipped calmly into the room. "How are you these days?"

"I'm well, thank you," he smiled back at her before motioning to Harmony, "except I have a young lady here, Harmony, with a great deal of talent and beauty mummified into some ancient ensemble of torture. Can you help us out?"

The saleswoman scrutinized Harmony with a humorous expression. "I would hope so," she agreed. "Did she just escape from the fifties?"

"Not quite yet," Stelian gave her a knowing wink. "But I'm still hopeful."

"I'm Stacie," the saleswoman offered Harmony a warm, strong handshake. "I'll be helping you this afternoon."

"What do you have?" Stelian asked.

Stacie studied Harmony more intently, her eyes narrowing as they scanned her body. At last she put a finger in the air. "I have just the thing for her," she announced before slipping into a back room.

Harmony shifted her weight nervously, feeling suddenly out of place as she looked over the lavish gowns.

"It's a Valentino," Stacie declared as she returned, a sleek black dress cradled in her hands. She held it up along Harmony's body, comparing the two. "It's a cross-strap slit style, perfect for her."

Harmony stared in horror at the dress, noting the low cuts and the looming slit up the skirt. "I could never . . ." She choked back on the words, fighting herself to keep from running away.

Stacie gave her an assuring smile. "It's okay dear. We can simply try it on and see if I'm right -- that it's practically made for you." She glanced over to Stelian. "I really think the cut will accentuate her form beautifully," she glanced over Harmony's body, "especially her breasts."

Harmony swallowed back on a gasp, looking briefly down at her own chest before giving a begging look at the saleswoman.

The glimmer in Stelian's eyes captured Harmony's attention, and held it. His eyes were soft, understanding. They were also excited as they took both her and the dress in eagerly. She suddenly longed to have him keep looking at her like that.

"Shall we step in the back and give it a try?" Stacie offered.

Harmony only nodded. She didn't try to speak, afraid of what might come out.

She followed Stacie into the back. Stacie handed her the gown and a sleek pair of Manolo Blahnik heels. "You won't wear anything beneath the gown," she explained. "And you can set the clothes you're wearing on the bench in the dressing room."

Harmony felt her heart pounding wildly. "What about my bra, and . . ."

"Absolutely nothing beneath it," Stacie repeated quietly. "The dress won't properly cover anything underneath. And you should remove your nylon stockings as well. Are your breasts perky?"

Harmony stared back at her in shock. "Perky?" she repeated.

Stacie smiled with amusement. "Try on the gown. If it's not right, we'll find another one. But I'm fairly confident it will look amazing on you." She ushered Harmony into a booth and slid the curtain closed.

It was hard to ignore that Stelian, the dark stranger she'd only known for twenty minutes now, was waiting just outside the thin curtain for her as she took all of her clothes off. Her fingers trembled as she unbuttoned her dress and slid out of it. She folded it loosely and set it on the bench. She slipped her shoes off and shoved them to the side. Hurriedly she pulled off her bra, stockings and panties and stuffed them beneath her other clothes.

She was shaking as she rushed to slip into the dress. She stuck her feet into the new high heels, suddenly surprised by how comfortable they were.

"I need some help with the straps," Harmony requested, sticking her head around the curtain.

Stacie slid the curtain back and motioned Harmony to step out. Swallowing back hard at the lump in her throat Harmony walked from the booth, catching her reflection in the mirror. She turned in shock at the woman who stared back at her, the dress slipping up to her body as Stacie adjusted the straps. It felt to her as though she were staring at another woman, a young woman wearing a dress that swooped low to expose exquisitely shaped, round curves.

"Wow," Stacie breathed, "you're a real vision of beauty."

Stacie's awed reaction echoed inside Harmony. She stared in confused amazement at her own image.

She could hear Stelian step into the room, and she turned to face him.

The look on his face sent waves of electric shivers clambering up her spine. His mouth fell open and his eyes widened as he stared, unable to look away. "We . . . we'll take it," he stammered.

"Not so fast, Stelian," Stacie put a quieting hand to his shoulder. "Remember the woman beneath the beauty. She needs to feel right in the dress." She looked over to Harmony, her eyes glinting. "What do you think, Harmony?"

Harmony studied Stelian's face, his fervent attention drawing her in, melting her until she felt helpless. "I like it," she managed to breathe.

Stelian's smile grew excitedly. "Put it on our tab, Stacie."

"But . . ." Harmony felt a panic swell inside, "but how much . . ."

"It's a gift," Stelian calmed her. "You don't need to worry about a thing, Harmony."

She put a quieting hand to her chest, unable to calm the uneasy confusion. "Okay," she submitted. "Thank you so much. It's unbelievable. Give me a minute to change back."

"Not quite yet," Stelian stopped her. "There's the party tonight. I would be devastated if you didn't attend with me."

Harmony looked back at her reflection. "You mean, go outside where people can see me in the dress?"

Stacie laid a soothing hand to Harmony's arm. "That's the idea of possessing such beauty," she murmured too quietly for Stelian to hear it, "to drive other women crazy with envy. Now, I'll slip your other clothes into a bag to take with you."

As Stacie slipped into the changing booth Harmony turned back to Stelian. "I would be honored to attend the party with you," she agreed. She forced the thought of how Gary was going to react from her mind.

Stacie handed Harmony a shopping bag, and Stelian led Harmony back to the car, opening the door for her.

"You understand I'm getting married next week, right?" Harmony reminded Stelian as he slid behind the wheel. She twitched nervously.

He looked over to her, reaching a warm hand to her cheek, caressing her as she involuntarily poured herself into his touch. "I understand," his voice was low, mellow, like honey rolling over his tongue. "One evening of dancing within my arms, one enchanted night of magic for me, of luxury and charm, and then a lifetime with your husband."

The moment shrank in pain. "Actually," Harmony tried to sound excited, "it's forever." The final word cracked. "In our church we marry forever." She could see the hope gleam in Stelian's deep eyes, and fear of his intentions swelled in her stomach.

But her smile couldn't be contained. "One evening," she agreed.

The car roared to life and Harmony's mind reeled. She watched Stelian as he pulled away from the curb, his skill evident in how he shifted and how he handled the wheel. In a moment he was one with the car and they bounded over the ground like a panther racing across the African plains. She watched his strong hands grasp the shift knob, jamming it from one gear to the next, his other hand swiveling as the car swerved amid traffic. Her gaze lit on his caring face, his piercing but kind eyes as they constantly scanned the road ahead. She drank in his protruding cheek bones, his stern jaw. Her gaze roamed over his large chest, and, finally, stared with insistent attentiveness at the large bulge lower down.

She forced her eyes away, looking out at the passing buildings as she struggled with her gathering, tingling desires. She felt an unusual ticklish sensation filling her lower stomach, her thoughts drifting against her will to how he might look with different clothes on.

She looked down to where her dress was falling open to reveal her thigh, the sight of it somehow enticing as she sat so near Stelian. She wondered who she had become for that one night, her body exposed and open to this unusual man, and her uncomfortable sensation of being so happy that it was.

"Why are you doing this for me?" Harmony finally couldn't stop herself from asking. "You don't know me at all."

Stelian gave her a quick smile. "That's true," he admitted. "I would like to, however -- get to know you. And, maybe I don't know myself just why I'm so enthralled with you. It's just that I saw you trying so hard to dance, but chained to someone with several left feet. At that moment I felt as though I saw something in you I could not resist. Possibly something you don't see in yourself."

Her eyes narrowed as she watched his face. "Are you . . ." she cringed as she tried to force the words out, "are you expecting something from me tonight?"

His look softened, and he shook his head. "Everything I do is because I want to, Harmony. You don't owe me anything in return. I only hope you enjoy the evening, and that you enjoy spending time with me."

"Really?" she prodded. "You don't expect anything in return?"

"Just relax and enjoy yourself," he assured her. "To me a woman isn't an animal to be captured, or a beast to be contained. To me a woman is meant to be free, to act for herself, to be wild. Anything she does from obligation is insincere, almost dishonest, as much to herself as to anyone else."

"You feel that way about all women?"

He nodded enthusiastically. "I don't usually buy them dresses, but yes. To me all women are unconquerable goddesses." He scrunched his face. "Except my mother," he corrected. "She's a manipulative bitch. But you'll see for yourself as you meet her tonight. Don't worry; I'm pretty certain she's had her shots."

Her eyes grew wide as Stelian pulled up to the lumbering old building that sprawled upward with stone walls, the sign high on the wall announcing it was The Stanton Hotel. A valet opened her door for her, and Harmony slipped nervously out.

"This place is huge," Harmony gasped as Stelian came up from behind her and slipped his arm into hers. "And it's beautiful."

"And it looks like the party is just starting," Stelian noted. Quickly he led her up along the stone steps and into the front entryway.

The rooms rose high overhead to ornate ceilings. Huge draperies hung over the tall windows, pulled to the sides with tasseled ropes. The marble floor shone with mirrored reflections, making the huge rooms appear even larger. Harmony stared in lost dismay at the mansion.

"Stelian," a woman grabbed his elbow from behind, "I'm so glad you decided to show, now that everything has been taken care of."

"Mother," Stelian turned to meet her. "This is Harmony, a new acquaintance of mine," he offered as introduction. "And Harmony, this is my mother."

"I see," the elderly woman chortled with disquieting disapproval. "You don't have time to plan the ball, but you can find the time to scour the neighborhood for tramps."

"Mother," Stelian sharply interrupted her, "they call them skanks these days. Besides, Harmony isn't one of those. She's the type of girl a man feels comfortable bringing home to meet his family."

His mother pursed her lips as she glared at Harmony. "I'm sure," she bit. "Mr. Torrel is looking for you, by the way. He has some concerns about the latest product versions. Maybe you could leave this tart with me for a few brief moments and do some marketing? Would you have that much time?"

"They're called skanks, mother - please try to learn modern English. And yes, I'll make an appearance. Please play nice, alright?"

Stelian slipped into the crowd. Harmony straightened herself and braced for his mother's assault. She could already feel the tears welling up behind her eyes. The old woman gave a long, careful sigh.

"So you have just met my son then?"

Harmony nodded as she swallowed. "Actually, no more than an hour or so ago."

The old woman took Harmony's arm and guided her deeper into the room. "And did he even mention his aging mother to you?"

Harmony raised her eyebrows. "Actually, he did tell me about you, yes."

She chuckled, motioning to the buffet table with her head. "He told you I'm a rabid bitch, didn't he?"

Harmony shook her head vigorously, but the old woman's heavy, knowing glare rattled her. "He never once mentioned that you were rabid," Harmony offered sheepishly.

She grinned in amusement. "Not everything is as it seems," she mused. "He actually loves me more than he lets on. And I him, I'm sure. Please don't let the brass exterior fool you." She plucked a plate from a stack. "And join me for some food, will you? I'm starved and I hate to eat alone."

"Of course," Harmony agreed, following behind her with a clean plate.

The food was magnificent. Harmony hadn't realized how hungry she was until she sat with Stelian's mother and began to eat.

"Stelian tells me you're from Portland," Harmony attempted conversation.

"Yes, only in town briefly for business - very droll stuff, to be sure. But he seems to be making the best of the trip."

Harmony shifted in her chair uneasily. "Does he often meet strange girls like this? I mean, does he . . ."

"You mean is Stelian a playboy?" his mother taunted her. Then she shook her head. "I tease him, but he's always a gentleman. He always has been. And no, he doesn't often meet someone like it seems he has you. If you don't mind my asking, where did you meet?"

Harmony couldn't hide the grimace. "Actually, it was at a dance lesson. The instructor didn't show, and Stelian offered to teach us."

"Us?" she prodded.

Harmony sighed. "My parents, my fiancé, and me. I'm getting married next week."

The old woman's eyes widened in shock. "You're engaged?" she affirmed.

Harmony nodded. "It's weird, I know, but he seemed so insistent. I just assumed he did this kind of thing all the time. I take it he doesn't then?"

She shook her head slowly. "No. No, he's not like that. Typically he's quite reserved."

"There you two are," Stelian remarked as he came up to them. "I see you've found some food."

"Just finishing up," Harmony smiled, searching his face now for some expression that would betray his interests in her.

"Maybe I could save you then from dealing with my mother, if you'd care to join me for a walk in the gardens?"

Harmony noticed a glimmer of nervous doubt in his eyes, hiding behind the debonair façade. She nodded. "I'd like that."

He took her hand and helped her to her feet. Slipping his arm in hers he calmly led her out through a back door and down into the dusky gardens. Harmony looked up to see a large moon peering over the distant mountains, pouring ghostly light down into the treetops.

"It's beautiful," she whispered as they stopped on a bridge and stared down into the water. Dim lights illuminated the water below, and several large fish swam through the depths.

"So tell me about Harmony," Stelian asked, his voice low and lush. "My mother had you to herself for several minutes, so I'm sure you know all about me now. At least the embarrassing parts, I would imagine. But I know very little about you. I only know that your parents like to keep you in their pockets."

Harmony shrugged. "There's not really much to know, I guess."

"Well, what do you do for work?"

She gave a half-smile, her attention still fixed on the fish below. "Right now I work at a local department store, stocking shelves. But I've already given notice that I'm quitting, and won't be working at all anymore after I'm married."

"Really?" Stelian mused. "What will you be doing then?"

"Having children," Harmony sighed. "Gary will support the family, and I'll stay home and raise the kids."

"Oh," he mused. "That's your dream - to be a mother?"

Harmony swallowed. "Yes," she said simply, her voice stern.

He looked over at her, raising one eyebrow. "Yes?" he repeated.

Harmony nodded. His eyes narrowed, looking deeply into her. She turned her head away and stared down at the fish again, surprised at how anxious she suddenly felt.

"Tell me," Stelian persisted, "tell me about your future dreams."

Harmony felt the lump in her throat growing. "It's the American dream, isn't it?" she gave a forced smile. "A little cottage with a white picket fence and several young children screaming as they run through the yard. Maybe a large dog. And me at home fixing dinner and cleaning the house."

He shifted closer, until their arms touched. "You like dogs?" he asked.

Harmony nodded emphatically. "I love dogs," she choked only a little on the words. "They love you no matter what. And they'll help protect the house and the children, and then they go outside and leave duties all over the yard. They shed on the sofa and drool on the kitchen table when no one is looking." She sighed heavily. "I can't stand dogs, or pets at all. They're filthy things that don't belong in a house, or living with me."

She bit her lower lip, looking sheepishly over at Stelian.

"And children?" he continued.

She grimaced, looking down at her hands as she fiddled with her fingers. "I don't want kids - not yet. I really just don't. I know that's horrible to say, but I feel like they're going to trap me, and I'll just have the rest of my life planned out. I'm going to be married next week, and the rest of my life is going to be wiping noses and changing diapers. Is it so awful to want some time for myself first?"