Karen

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As time started doing what it normally does and continued to move forward one second, one minute, one hour and one day at a time. My love for Karen was also moving forward. Our budding love was moving in the right direction. Karen and I have known each other for a year and a half now. We appeared to be on solid ground. Our dates started to include movies she had wanted to see. I was only too happy to take her.

Finally after us dating for almost two years I asked her where she thought we were going. We had not made love yet but did do some very heavy petting. Neither one of us was virgins but we were definitely stretching our relationship by not getting intimate.

"Eddy, you know I love you. I want to be with you."

"Karen you are the love of my life. I want to be with you too."

She took me by the hand and kissed me with a depth I had never felt before from her or anyone. Our kissing kept up until we were both high on love. Our hormones were starting to take over our minds. I was as hard as I had ever been. I could have destroyed an anvil at that point. We finally broke our kiss and decided to head home, to her house. I could not trust myself to take her to mine. I know if we had gone to my house we would not have gotten out of bed for three days!

I took off work early on Wednesday afternoon. I headed to the mall in Baytown. They have three different nice jewelry stores there. It took me four hours to navigate through all the rings they have. This ring had to be perfect. It needed to reflect my love for her and the love she now extended to me. I wanted it to say something about her being blind, but now could see.

When the last jewelry store showed me a one carat black diamond ring mounted in white gold, I knew I had found the right one. The black diamond was a rare jewel. With the stone mounted in the white gold it made the black diamond all the more beautiful. There was a matching wedding band for the engagement ring. There was also a matching wedding band for me which mirrored the engagement/wedding set, sans the black diamond. Instead of a large diamond I opted for the man's ring to have two small black diamonds mounted that would run parallel to my finger. Overall the set was the perfect set for the two of us. The black diamond represented to me Karen's darkness from being blind. The white gold represented to me Karen's return to the world of sight and a bright future. Since I had never married and made good money, I went ahead and paid cash for the seventeen-thousand dollar set. I planned to propose this coming weekend.

Her twenty-fourth birthday was coming up and I thought about asking her to marry me when we went out to celebrate. While out at the Olive Garden restaurant, a guy approached our table. It was apparent by his attire that he didn't work there. He was dressed in a business casual suit.

"Excuse me, but may I talk with your date?" he asked.

I replied with, "And just who might you be?"

"My name is Robert McClelland" he said.

That is when Karen's face peaked. Apparently she knew this guy.

"Oh my God! I thought it was you" she said as she stood and hugged him.

"How are you doing Karen?"

"Now I'm good, thanks to Eddy here."

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"Eddy basically saved my life! I was injured when I was overseas while I was in the Army. I had lost my eyesight, but with his help I got better. Eddy is a computer specialist and he helped create a program that helped me through everything. I think the VA is going to start using his program to help others like me out" she said.

"Well I had heard you were injured. I just didn't know how bad you were. I'm glad you are doing so well" he stated as he took a seat beside her.

I didn't much like this guy already. He acted as if I wasn't even there. Almost as if he was trying to move in on her.

"Eddy" he started out by saying. "Karen and I were sweethearts back in the tenth grade. We dated up until we graduated. She decided to join the Army and I went to college. We haven't seen each other since graduation. It sure is good to see her. She still looks as beautiful as she did back then."

I then told him "Well it was nice meeting you but if you will excuse us we are on a date." "Oh I see" he said as if it were a joke.

Then he turned to Karen and said "Karen if you aren't busy this weekend I'd like to call on you so we can catch up on old times."

Karen said "That sounds like fun. Where would you like to go and what day?"

"I figured Friday night would work for me and we can go to out to eat so we can talk."

"That would be fun" Karen said.

Me, I just sat there stunned. I thought Karen and I had something special. I was going to propose to her that very night. Now I wasn't sure of anything. Here she just made a date to see an old flame of hers and didn't even ask me what or if I had anything planned for the weekend. We had been spending time together nearly every weekend. I knew she was too beautiful for me but I didn't know she would just brush me off like that. I was heartbroken.

They continued to talk about old times and I sat there stunned. She finally noticed the expression on my face. That expression was of hurt, pain, rejection and probably other descriptive words that I just cannot express. She almost, and I do mean almost, became apologetic to me. She started explaining that she and Robert was indeed an item in high school. She at least asked if I minded if they went out Friday night to catch up on old times.

My only response was a dejected "Sure, I guess not."

I was sitting there thinking that all good things come to an end sooner or later. I couldn't believe that just a few days ago she was expressing her love to me and that it would be forever. But here she was, telling me that she and her old boyfriend were going to go out Friday, like I had no choice in the matter. I was also wondering if I could get my money back on the wedding ring set. I lost my appetite and decided that I wasn't all that hungry after all. Robert finally left the table, but not before he got her number. I am real sure she could see the change in my demeanor over the past ten minutes. Life was starting to suck again. I didn't want to continue without her in my life. What could I say? We had never talked about being exclusive so maybe this is for the best.

When Friday rolled around I had decided I would wait down the street from her house to see if they did go out. I wanted to know how she would dress for him. Would she dress better? Would she even think about me while with him? WHAT were they going to do? My mind was a wreck. I hadn't been able to concentrate at work since Wednesday evening when Robert entered the scene. All I could think about was Karen and how much I loved her. "WHY WAS SHE DOING THIS TO ME?" I thought.

Right at seven o'clock he showed up at her house. He rang the door bell and Karen answered it looking like a million dollars. But then again she always looked like that. I was heartbroken even more. I couldn't follow them even if I had wanted to. I just wanted to see if she really was going to go out with him. I went home and cried. I hadn't cried like that in years.

Mom came over when she noticed I was home and asked where Karen was.

"Mom, last Wednesday when we went out to celebrate her birthday, a guy from her past saw us there, and interrupted my plans. You know how much I love her. You know how much I have done for her. It's like none of any of that mattered Wednesday. She made plans with him to go out tonight. And they did. I watched as he escorted her to his car and then opened her door for her to get in. When they drove off, I was heartbroken. I came home and cried. Mom, what am I going to do? You know how much I love her. That son-of-a-bitch just horned his way in and she let him."

"Eddy" mom spoke softly. "I'm sure there is a good reason for what happened. Text her cell and leave a message for her to call you when she has time. Right now only she can decide what she wants, you or him. You have no control of her emotions. Maybe it's just as you say, maybe they just want to catch up."

"But mom, this guy is really good looking. What chance do I have compared to him? I know I ain't all that in the looks department. Even growing up I felt like I needed to rub raw steak on my face just to get the dog to lick me. This guy is good looking."

"Look son, go ahead and go to sleep. Maybe you'll feel better in the morning. Just don't forget to text her. Give her a chance to explain before you pull the plug on your relationship. I think she loves you too. She is a level headed young lady and has seen her share of grief. Maybe she just needs to realize what she has with you. Send her that text and go take a shower, then go to bed. Get some sleep."

With that mom kissed me on the forehead and went home. Right then I wished I owned a gun. I think I wanted to die. I did do as she asked me to do. I sent Karen a text.

It read "Karen, please call me when you get a chance or at least when you get home. I want to make sure you are OK. I love you." I took a shower and went to bed.

The next morning, my door bell was ringing. For some reason it sounded real loud. Almost as if the house was totally void of furniture and wall hangings. It seemed to echo all over the house. I went to the door and Karen was standing there. I opened the door and told her to come on in as I turned my back to her. I headed to the kitchen to make coffee. I was still in a slump. She noticed something wrong with me. How could I tell her I didn't want her to see that Robert guy? We weren't exclusive as I thought we were.

Karen started out "OK Eddy, what's wrong? You look like you lost your best friend or maybe your puppy. Speak to me Eddy. Tell me what's wrong."

"Karen, I thought, that is until yesterday, that we were in love with each other. Then that Robert guy comes up to the table at the restaurant Wednesday and horned right on in and spoiled our date. The way I saw it, you were more interested in catching up with him than you were being with me. I have to tell you, I felt dejected. I know we never really talked about being exclusive, but I thought, well..."

"STOP RIGHT NOW EDDY!" she almost shouted. "I thought you knew how I felt about you. Robert and I did go out in high school. Yes we were sweethearts. We were never together as lovers. We never had sex. We both wanted to wait. That is in the past. And for your information, Robert is married and has two kids. His wife and kids met us at the restaurant last night. I didn't get home until after three this morning. The reason I didn't call you was because of the hour. I figured you'd be asleep. Now for the record, I do love you. I cannot begin to tell you how much you have done for me. Without you I would still be blind as a bat. I can see right now that even though you have eyes, you can't see a damn thing."

"Karen, you could at least have texted me back last night. I was worried about you."

"Well if you check your phone you'll see I did text you back. I told you it would be late and that I would see you in the morning. And I meant that. Here I am to prove it to you. Eddy if I didn't love you so much I wring your damn neck. Get over here so I can hug and kiss you."

That took the wind out of my sails. I knew I screwed up by mistrusting her. I had to tell her a few more things before I could settle my own nerves.

"Karen, I need to say this first. I do love you. I love you with every fiber of my being. Robert is so good looking and I know I ain't. You have to believe me when I tell you I still have anxiety attacks when some good looking guy just talks to you. I'll never measure up to your beauty. That is the way I feel. I can't help it. You are just so beautiful it hurts me to see anything like that. Last night scared the hell out of me. I just knew this guy wanted you back in his life as maybe his lover or something. I couldn't handle that. I went to bed last night with visions of you and him in bed together. Tell me what I am supposed to think. Right now I can't think."

"Oh Eddy" she said as she giggled a little. "Robert is married, has two wonderful little boys, a lovely wife and a congregation on the North Side of Houston. Yes Eddy, he's a preacher. As far as me becoming his lover, that would never happen. I love someone else and he could never come between me and the love I have for that someone."

"Who is that? I never knew you loved someone else. I was hoping" is all I could get out of my mouth before she came over and kissed me hard.

"After kissing someone like that, who do you think I love" she said.

With a squeaky voice I asked her if it was me. She attacked my lips with her lips again. Mom walked in and caught us in the act of hugging and kissing.

"Well Eddy, I see everything worked out for you" mom said.

"Yeah mom, I guess I may have overreacted." I said.

"Ya, think!" Karen stated. "By the way, he did say if we decide to get married, he would love to perform the ceremony."

Well I guess it's a good thing I didn't return the ring to the jewelry store. I followed Karen back to her parent's house. We got there around noon. Her mom had prepared a lunch for everyone. My parents were there too. Since everyone was there I figured it would be a good time to ask Karen to marry me. I asked her dad, Dan, if he and I could talk. We went out back and talked.

"Dan, I have never hidden the fact that I love Karen. I love her like I have never loved anyone. I know I ain't much to look at. When I see a picture of her and me together all I can think of is "Beauty and the Beast". But Dan, I am asking your permission to marry Karen. It may be old fashion, but then that's the way I was raised. If you have any objections I'll understand."

"Eddy the only objections I would have is if you decided that later on in life you and she would not want to have children. Sally and I want grandkids but we want their parents to love them as we love our children" he said smiling.

"I'd like to propose to her today, if that's alright with you" I said.

Dan just smiled as we walked back into the house. There was a din like that of a busy diner. Everyone was smiling and everyone looked happy. There was chit-chat and banter going on between Karen, Kate and my mom. Sally and my dad were "sampling" the food. Everyone was in a very cheerful mood. All I could do is stand and smile as I knew everything would be alright. Lunch was served. There was oldies music playing in the back ground. Dan had disappeared right after we finished eating. I really thought he went to the john but he came back within a few minutes smiling from ear to ear. He had something behind his back that I couldn't see.

After everyone settled down in the family room, I started my well rehearsed speech.

"Can I get everyone's attention? I have something I want, no I need, to say." I looked first at Dan and then to Sally and finally to Karen. "Karen, you know how much I love you. You also know that I feel like the Disney movie, "Beauty and the Beast" when I am around you. Until recently I didn't know exactly how much I do love you." Then I got on one knee in front of her and everyone else in the room. "Karen, will you marry me?"

Of course I fluffed up the entire speech. But I got through it. Apparently I got the message across too.

"YES! I will not only marry you but I'll have as many babies as you want!"

As I was slipping the engagement ring on her finger, the whole house erupted in cheers and screams from the women folk. Of course the ladies all wanted to see it. I was the only one besides Dan that knew what was going to happen. Dan and my dad came to me and we did a group hug thing. That is when Dan pulled the bottle of wine from behind his back. Sally went to get glasses for everyone and we all toasted to the celebration of Karen and I getting engaged. This was one time I would definitely drink alcohol.

I wasn't exactly sure about what our future would bring us, I prayed that it would include us being together forever. I knew Karen and I needed to get a few more things straight between us. I knew she wanted to go to school and get her nursing degree. With her VA benefits that would not only make it possible but it would also guarantee her a job anywhere she may wish to work. She wanted to help the Veterans as much as possible also. She had a plate full and hasn't even started eating from it yet.

The girls spent the next four months planning the wedding. It was only me, my dad and her dad that was left out of all the arrangements. Every now and then they would ask us a question and all we would do is nod and say that sounds good. None of us had any idea what the hell they were talking about much less agreeing to. For all I knew we were going to get married under the sea in a dome. But that would be OK with me. Just as long as we were married.

The time came for the nuptials. Her friend, the Reverend Robert McClelland, performed the ceremony. He really was a pretty nice guy. Sometimes first impressions are not the best. When he pronounced us "Husband and Wife, you may now kiss the bride", I did just that. That kiss was probably even hotter than the kiss we had back when we almost got out of control. The reception was nice, but I felt it was too long. We finally got out of there to begin our honeymoon.

We flew to New York to see the Niagara Falls. We really did see the falls, but not much of them. Karen and I had remained chaste during our dating. We wanted to save everything up for the honeymoon. The whole trip was scheduled for five days. We left the hotel twice. Once to see the falls and once to go to a nice bistro in New York. The rest of the time we stayed in our room. When we got hungry we ordered room service.

Our first night together can only be described as heaven on earth. It seems like mountains were moved that night. We made tender love and we had crazy sex. Karen was even more beautiful naked. Everything was as perfect as I had imagined it to be. I couldn't find a flaw on her body anywhere. Believe me when I tell you I looked for them, everywhere. She is a true brunette. I get chills when think of what I have as my wife. The beautiful Karen Childs McDonald. Gorgeous.

Finally after settling in at my home in Baytown we discussed her desire to become a nurse.

"Karen, look I know you want to be a nurse. Why don't you go for broke? Take it to the next step. Become a Physician's Assistant, or even better a Doctor."

Karen said "Eddy, I don't know if I have it in me to become a doctor. First off I still want to be a nurse. I want to help the Veterans, especially those wounded Veterans returning home. I want to help them transition back into civilian life. I just ain't sure what I need to do to get there from here. Are you willing to support me in my efforts to do all that?"

"You know I will. No matter what happens, I will support you in whatever you decide to do. I know you'll do great at whatever it is."

She smiled at me, grabbed me and led the way to the bedroom. As we lay in bed we were still talking about our future. We would wait to have children so she could concentrate on her schooling. Karen is twenty-five now. She also feels she may be waiting too late to get that type of education and compete with the younger people already in her chosen profession. I know she'll do good, whatever her decision.

Just about the time we had agreed that she should continue her education the VA called. They wanted to talk to me about the program I had created. We set a time for me to go over and discuss the options they wanted or felt they needed. It looked as if Monday would be a busy day for me.

When I arrived I was met by several staff members. There were also six Veterans there which had gone through the procedure. All six of them were "cured" of their war induced trauma of blindness. That in and of itself made me feel more confident about what I had done, not only for Karen, but for them also. All told, there were fifteen people in attendance including myself.