Kate & Jim

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I forgot to turn my magic hat sideways," Jim said, taking another sip of his favorite whiskey, "ah, the water of life."

"Are you going to talk with a brogue for the rest of the night," Katherine asked intrigued. She never saw this part of Jim before. Katherine never imagined her troll could be like this. Jim was funny and charming and had changed tactics on her again.

"And what will you be having now, darling," Patrick asked Katherine while refilling Jim's glass with whiskey.

"The Reubens looks good, and I'll have a glass of diet cola. Somebody has to drive Jim home."

"It's the best. Four Reubens and a diet cola coming right up," and with that Patrick walked away to get their order.

"Obviously you have eaten here before, Jim. Three for you and one for me."

"You haven't had one of Patrick's Reubens yet. You will want another. Nagging already and the night is young. You sound like a wife and a fine Irish one at that.

Don't worry about a thing. I have to set an example for my boys. I've already arranged for a ride home. Just don't let me stick my head out the window on the way home. I've ruined more telephone poles that way....You have a beautiful smile darling.

Get into the spirit and treat yourself to a little nip," and when Patrick returned, "I'll have a proper pint of Harp and a wee bit of Jameson," Katherine announced in a very good but more refined brogue of her own, refined like her Grandpa Jack.

Pleasantly surprised, Jim smiled, thinking, 'Very nice, very nice indeed,' and tipped his hat to her, 'This might be the best birthday yet.'

**************************************

While they ate Jim explained what was planned for the evening. Katherine although intrigued, was also hungry and helped herself to one of his three Reubens without asking. If she sounded like a wife she might as well act like one.

This event was a fund raiser for Youth Sports and little league baseball in particular. Even though the party was by invitation only, most paid $300.00 for their chits; whether all at once or in installments throughout the year.

It was Katherine's birthday too. She made up her mind to make the best of it and have a good time. Part of her birthday present to Jim was to be the best date he ever had.

Actually as things turned out it was one of the best times Katherine ever had in her entire life. Jim took her arm and they went from table to table for him to introduce her to people.

Jim knew everybody there and they knew him. There were several women there, beautiful women, whom Kate noticed seemed annoyed that she was his date; women sense these things about one another, while most men are oblivious to the situation.

Kate's solution was to hang onto Jim's arm even tighter and smile, sweetly laying claim. To hell with them.

In between times, when the band took a break, Jim would tell jokes and do card tricks while Patrick kept the libations flowing.

There were several children attending who Jim delighted by pulling one dollar coins from behind their ears and then giving it to them.

Jim knew many other different tricks with that bowler, making things appear and disappear; Kate was his assistant.

At around 10:30 PM all of the children were gone; house rules, and there was a drum roll by the band.

Jim and Patrick jumped up on the bar together, making the bar their stage. They sang a variety of Irish songs together with most the audience singing along with them, including Katherine.

Patrick was a baritone while Jim was a tenor and they complimented one another.

The third and last song was "Clancy lowered the boom". Grandpa Jack used to sing "Clancy lowered the boom" to Katherine when she was a little girl and it always made her laugh. Tonight was no different because Jim and Patrick pretended to punch each other at the prompt of the drum.

Katherine noticed that most of the patrons cleared a space near and around the bar to give them room.

They improvised a fight, pretending to fall or jump off the bar as they threw fake punches. Once on the floor they staggered about the audience to sing verses the writer never wrote, making things up as they went along.

During one the improvised verses Jim was punched and pretended to fall backwards into Kate's arms and she barely caught him.

Jim righted his bowler and then took Katherine into his arms and kissed her lips long and deep while the audience cheered for more kisses; Jim was glad to oblige and Katherine was not objecting.

Jim fell twice into Katherine's arms and on the third time Katherine took the derby hat off him and put it on her own head. Katherine grabbed Jim's face in both hands and kissed him as Jim flailed his arms up and down to a drum roll as if he was in shocked surprise.

Katherine let go and Jim jumped up into the air with a big goofy smile on his face and then did a summersault to land on his feet while pretending to stumble against the bar and steady himself.

The audience was hysterical with laughter by his performance thinking Kate was a new part of the act. Jim grabbed somebody's whiskey from the bar and drank it down before standing up straight and resuming the song without his bowler.

'This is so wonderful,' Kate thought, 'it's like Clancy lowers the boom meets vaudeville....what's next?'

All her trouble seemed to melt as she clapped and cheered. Katherine felt so alive and happy, something she hadn't felt in years.

The comedic song ended too soon. This time Patrick got up on the bar alone for his solo. Traditionally, Jim would sing his solo next and they would cut the cake

Patrick sang "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" in his rich baritone voice, while Jim was standing next to Katherine, contemplating another tradition.....if she would consent.

At the end of Patrick's song Jim retrieved his derby from Kate and got back up on the bar alone before calling for a round of drinks.

When everyone's glass was full, Jim called for a toast; one more toast or blessings of many that he made throughout the evening. This time Jim was looking straight at Kate.

"To my housekeeper forever, Kate,' everyone raised their glasses, 'To my beautiful lady if only for the evening. Katherine Mavis Ryan who sings like an angel."

And then immediately after the toast Jim asked, "Would you fine gentle people like to hear Katherine sing?"

"Sing for us Katherine, sing us a song and give us a tune" called people from the crowd of happy party goers.

"Katherine, would you come up here with me please and grace our ears with a song?" Jim asked taking off his hat and bowing amides the steady chants for Katherine to sing.

Jim put his right hand up in the air and whistled loudly and sharply through his fingers before folding his arms over his chest. It was Jim's way of saying please be quiet or else. Many of the men here had tangled with Jim in the past and wished they hadn't.

They raised their glasses in acknowledgement to his request while silently looking to others, warning them to be quiet.

Jim was liked because he never held a grudge. Jim Brady was also liked because he didn't have short arms. In other words Jim's arms reached into his pockets to get his money out to buy a round when it was his turn.

When they quieted down Jim jumped off the bar and walked over to Kate. He took her into his arms and kissed her lips, "Please Katherine, sing for us. A man couldn't ask for a better birthday present."

Kate nodded and smiled; encouraged Jim picked Kate up and put her in a sitting position on the bar. He got up next to her and helped Kate to her feet.

"I'm sure the band must know "Danny Boy?" Kate inquired.

"As a matter of fact they do, darling," Jim answered, "You heard the lady, Danny boy it is."

******************************

Kate finished her song to absolute silence...and then she was greeted by a standing ovation, followed by calls for more songs.

She also overheard some good natured kidding directed at Jim; something about Jim better find himself a new song.

"They love you, Katherine," Jim whispered in her ear, "They will now expect you to sing here every year."

"What did some of them mean when they said you better find a new song, Jim?"

"It's nothing; it is time to cut the cake."

"That was your song, wasn't it, Jim?"

"It doesn't matter as long as you are having a good time. Let me help you down."

Kate whistled loudly through her fingers and folded her arms. It didn't have the same effect as when Jim did it, but it did get the crowd's attention.

"I have something to say," Kate announced loudly, while yanking Jim's ear and making him wince, "Jim and I are going to sing "Danny Boy" together. Isn't that right, Jim?"

"Yes, ma'am, thank you," Jim replied, smiling from ear to sore ear. He took both Katherine's hands in his and squeezed, while thinking, 'Yes, definitely the best birthday I can remember.

******************************

They had a wonderful evening together, although, Kate had a bit too much drink.

She fell asleep in Jim's lap in the car on the way home.

Jim carried his sleeping Kate into her bedroom. He undressed her, removing everything but her camisole and panties. Kate woke up as he tucked her in and was leaning over to kiss her cheek. Kate was so tired, and could barely keep her eyes open, but was determined to have her say.

"Jim, I want you to...." "Hush, you want me to make love to you? Is that what you were going to say?"

Katherine sat up abruptly throwing back her quilt. She nodded her head, burping and giggling, "yes, and the room is spinning round and round, and you can sing and dance and do magic and everything."

"No more talking, Katherine, please go to sleep."

"But, I want you to fuck me," she insisted dropping back on the pillow and extending her arms to hug him while giggling, "you can wear your blonde wig."

"Katherine, I don't want to hear another thing about the subject. Do you want to be spanked?"

"You can't spank me. I'm drunk!"

"Do you want to find out?"

"No, Sir. I'll be a good girl," she said seriously, but burped and giggled some more. "You're a sexy bastard for a troll."

"Wonderful, get some sleep then."

"Jim."

"Yes, Katherine."

"Do I have a woman's heart," Kate asked as Jim covered her with the quilt.

"I'd fight anyone who said otherwise," Jim said leaning forward to kiss her cheek.

"Thank you, I am going to sleep now...."

******************************

Kate woke in the early afternoon with a mild headache and was thankful for it, considering all she had to drink the night before.

After everyone had left, her, Patrick and Jim sat around talking, about next year's party, and what Jim was like as a little boy. Patrick had her laughing with stories about Jim, and the drinks were flowing.

'Next year I'll be more careful and drink less,' she thought, surprising herself by thinking that, and 'Why not, we sing well together.'

Kate took something for her headache before taking a shower. She assumed Jim would be up and gone, and after she dressed Kate went looking for him and confirmed it, his station wagon was gone.

'Where is Jim always disappearing to,' she thought, realizing that she hadn't checked the garage door to see if it was locked.

Kate almost ran outside to turn the doorknob and bingo; she entered closing and locking the door behind her.

Up above her head and resting on the steel support beam for the chain fall was the oak chest. Kate moved a step ladder over and climbed up to get it down, thinking, 'Hmm, what kind of secret is my sweet troll hiding from me?'

She had to stretch to reach it, and almost tipped the stepladder.

Katherine found Jim's College Diploma's; she had no idea that he went that far, but now everything was starting to make sense.

Next the real surprise, the red leather bound photo album, and another one just like it.

Katherine sat on a stool by the window unable to tear her eyes away as she slowly turned the pages, studying everything.

Jim was in the drama club. There was picture after picture of the plays or musicals he was in for those years of college. There were mementos and programs and tickets stubs.

Jim's big three were "The King and I", "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" and "Kiss Me Kate". Jim had the leading roles of "King Mongkut of Siam", "Quasimodo" and "Fred".

In most of the other plays he had smaller parts, but was several different characters in each.

The next red photo album showed what went on behind the scenes at the rehearsals or cast parties when the actors, friends, were away from the public. They seemed to be a very tight group.

There was a young woman that caught Kate's eye. She was absolutely gorgeous; long dark brown hair and brown eyes. Gina had a voluptuous figure, and there was a presence about her. In almost all the photos, this woman was standing near Jim.

Gina La Salle was the leading lady in all the college productions, even the ones were Jim had minor parts. There were pictures of her in costume in the first album with some of her other leading men, handsome men, but behind the scenes, Gina was always with Jim.

This young woman, Gina La Salle was often on his lap with her arms around Jim's neck. There were photos of them dancing together, or doing silly things together. There were some intimate shots when Gina was kissing him. There was something about the way Jim was holding her....it was obvious that they were an item, while just as obvious.... they were in love.

She wanted to know everything about Gina, but couldn't ask. Kate now felt guilty for prying; especially after last night, when Jim very well could have taken advantage of her.

Kate also was running out of time. There was no telling when Jim might be back. Well, too late, she could hear Jim's Station Wagon pull into the driveway. The clock on the wall said it was after six in the afternoon.

Kate was on the very top rung, struggling with the chest, the very place where she shouldn't stand, and the ladder tipped. She screamed as she fell; Kate went one way and the oak chest another, the chest taking the brunt of the damage.

Hearing her scream, Jim came crashing through the locked wood door, smashing it open with his shoulder as if it were cardboard. Kate was trying to stand on a possibly broken ankle.

"Katherine!" Jim exclaimed, as he scooped her into his arms. Kate put her arms around his neck and pressed her face up against his," I'm sorry, Jim, I'm sorry; your oak chest is..."

"Is it just your ankle? Are you hurt anywhere else?

"No," Kate said in a small voice, hugging Jim's neck, tighter.

"We are going to the emergency room to make sure."

"Yes, Sir."

******************************

Jim left everything as he found it, not bothering to look at the oak chest or close the broken garage door, despite the fact that those photo albums meant a great deal to him.

Instead, Jim carried Kate into the house to get two of the six medical icepacks she insisted should be in the freezer door at all times before he carried her out to his station wagon to drive Kate to the hospital emergency room.

Kate was lucky and the prognosis good. She didn't have a fracture, torn muscles, torn ligaments' or a sprain. The hood of the Road Runner was damaged from the fall, denting and giving way some when her left foot hit it. Kate then landed on her bottom and slide down the trunk to land on the floor where Jim found her trying to stand; Kate had blunt tissue damage, a bruise on the bottom of her heel.

Kate was certain she was going to catch hell on the ride home. Instead, Jim was unusually quiet and held Kate's hand the entire time.

'Again Jim has changed tactics," she thought, and then, 'no he hasn't, all this time it has been me. He is genuinely concerned about me. He was looking at me as if I was that woman, Gina in the photos. That was my wrong perception assuming all men are alike.'

"Jim?"

"Yes, Kate."

"Are you angry with me?"

"No."

"Are you just saying that?"

"Surprisingly, no, I am relieved that you are safe. You gave me quite a scare when you screamed. You could have been hurt badly," and he squeezed her hand, "If it will keep you from doing impulsive things, I will bring everything from the chest into the house where there are no locked doors between us."

"Jim?"

"Yes, Kate."

"You loved her?"

"Gina was my whole world, Kate. We were engaged to be married. After last night, I can finally move on."

*****************************

Gina graduated college as a pharmacist. Gina's graduation gift from her parents was two weeks in Paris, France, and what a gift it was. Jim would be taking a flight to be with her. They would spend Gina's last five days in a 4-star hotel. They would return together. Their wedding was scheduled the following year.

Gina was not there when Jim arrived. The desk clerk insisted that Gina had checked out the day before, and he had personally hailed her a cab.

Jim got no satisfaction from the manager of the hotel where Gina was staying. He got even less satisfaction from the aloof Police Inspector who arrived to remove Jim from the premises when he refused to leave the manager's office.

Inspector La Blanche claimed that there was no evidence or probable cause to indicate a kidnapping. "American women are flighty," he said, "this kind of thing happens all the time. Paris after all is the City of Love. Perhaps your Gina met someone," he said, smirking, insinuating that Jim was a cuckold fiancé."

Jim knew that a minor Saudi Prince and his entourage were renting the entire fifth floor for the month. There were beautiful girls from all over Europe that weekend to party. Many would be lured with promises of unbelievable good paying jobs in Saudi Arabia. Once there the girl's passport would be confiscated....need I say more?

Jim went to the American Embassy to talk to his uncle stationed there. His uncle Bob arranged for Jim to be put on the Embassy staff. Being a blood relative, Jim was granted full diplomatic immunity. Jim's promised to be patient and work within the system. Jim had all the official identification and was given a satellite cell phone just in case.

Jim suffered three weeks with no results and then struck out on his own. The weak link was the hotel manager. Jim went back to apologize for threatening him, hoping to get a lead.

He gave the desk clerk one thousand dollars in American Express Checks and hinted there was more to come if he could get in to see the Manager to apologize and rectify the misunderstanding.

He planned on offering the Manager a bribe; the modest seventy five grand he set aside as collateral for a loan to start his business.

The Hotel Manager invited him in his office. Everything changed when Jim sat down to talk and looked at the wall behind the manager's desk to see it hanging there. He calmly set the satellite cell phone to speaker before dialing the Embassy where all incoming calls are recorded.

Smiling, Jim punched the man in the face, breaking his nose, and knocking him out of his chair. He took the janbiya from the wall drawing it from its woven silver wire and jewel encrusted leather scabbard.

Jim pressed the janbiya to the manager's throat and showed him his Embassy ID, "Do you know what this is?"

"Yes," the cowering Manager answered, choking on the blood running down his throat from his broken nose. "

"Good. I know how you acquired this saifani janbiya. Honor dictates blood must flow once it is drawn from its scabbard. You will to determine how much.

I'm sure you realize I can get away with anything short of murder," Jim said coldly, while drawing it across the man's throat, cutting deep enough to draw blood, "I will let you live, but you will wish yourself dead when I feed you your testicles.