Lady in Red Pt. 02 Ch. 14

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You can start helping us with Gwen's hair now," quipped Lisa to her mother. "Don't be thinking about how Steve's naked on the other side of that door. Who knows what he's doing with that monster at this very moment?"

"I have a pretty good idea. I think I took the edge off, so to speak, in the shower. He's calmly getting dressed with a big smile on his face," smirked Gwen as her sisters and mother broke into hearty laughter.

Gwen has dressed and ready to go in less than half an hour. Her mother and sisters were extremely pleased with the way her hair turned out. "We'll go down first so you and Steve can make a grand entrance," explained Paula. "You're just fashionably late, but Ted sent a text saying the place was pretty full and we need to get down there soon."

Gwen's family left as Steve and Gwen were on putting finishing touches. "Would you rather go in alone? You're the one that was elected to Congress. I don't want to steal any of your thunder or anything."

"My darling man, you're in this with me. I know that at least half the people that voted for me did so because they knew you were included in the deal. I want you with me, taking care of me, helping me remember names and faces, and looking like the sexiest man alive. Will you do that for me?"

Five minutes later, Steve escorted Gwen into the ballroom. A pathway formed down the center of the room with people cheering and applauding as the couple made their way to the small stage. Both Steve and Gwen smiled and acknowledged people they knew as they slowly walked through the crowded room. Paula and Ted stood with Lisa, Kate, Jordan, Jason, Chip and Charlie and Gwen's closest friends and cheered with the best of them.

"Mom, this is the coolest thing I've ever seen," yelled Kate so that she could be heard above the din. "Gwen looks like a queen, and Steve is such a hunk. Look how everyone loves them!"

Steve helped Gwen ascend the steps to the stage and then joined her as she made eye contact with many of her well wishers. Gwen was radiant as she pointed to friends and acquaintances. The folks from her Congressional district had set up in front of the stage and their approval was obvious to everyone in the room. It took almost five minutes for the crowd to settle down so that Gwen could speak.

"Friends, and I hope that you're all my friends, I'm honored and humbled by your support and well wishes. I don't pretend to have any easy answers to the difficult problems facing our country. I don't even understand all of the issues. What I do know is that life is precious.

"My job is to protect life, to help those in need, to promote good health and a nurturing environment. I want all children to receive the medical care they need. I want our brave, selfless veterans to have the health care they need, and the jobs they deserve. I want this country to once again become self sufficient with a strong economy based on production and American ingenuity.

"For myself, I want you to be proud of me, to feel in your hearts that I'm doing my very best for this great country. I want to graduate med school and become a good doctor and wife. I want to have a husband and children. I want them to be healthy and safe, as do all parents. I want what all of you want, to grow old watching my kids and grandkids learn and prosper as they work to make the world a little bit better.

"I can only promise that I will do my best. To that end, I'll rely heavily on the advice and counsel of my support group, my family and friends. But most of all, I will lean on this amazing man next to me to guide, assist, and protect me in my endeavors. You know who he is and you've seen what he's done. I'm here to tell you that you have no idea what he can, and will accomplish in the future. I'm just happy to be part of his amazing journey. Thank you, everyone! Please, enjoy the food and music as we celebrate a new beginning!"

Once again, the crowd stomped, clapped, whistled, and yelled its approval. Gwen smiled and waved as tears trickled down her cheeks. It was an extremely emotional moment for her. She thought back to that day at the mall when the tall handsome young man decided to chat with her and then ask her out. She truly felt that it was Steve that made her seem special to so many and she thanked her lucky stars for her good fortune

For his part, Steve marveled at the ease and sincerity with which Gwen spoke to the assembled crowd. Her talents knew no limits. He beamed with pride as he stood alongside her, convinced that without Gwen and her beauty and intelligence, his life would have been quite average.

Once it became quiet enough for the orchestra to be heard, the music began. Gwen smiled as she realized Lady in Red was the opening song. Steve gathered her in and to the delight of those in attendance, danced with her on the small stage.

When the song was over and Gwen, as well as most of the audience, had managed to stop tearing up, she began greeting well wishers. Steve was at her side as she climbed down from the stage and waded into the crowd. Both Gwen and Steve were surprised at how many people they recognized. It seemed like almost all of Sparta was in Washington.

They spent a solid hour greeting supporters with handshakes, hugs, and occasional kisses. Gwen was just beginning to feel like she could relax when politicians began approaching her. Senator Chatham was one of the first.

"Ms. Anderson, you and this fellow of yours are an inspiration to us all. You two represent what we all should be, if only we had your character and moral compass. You've made your hometown very proud, but more than that, you've made your country extremely proud. I thank you for that."

William Patterson had driven into Washington with Beatrice, Jen, and Janice. He was standing with Gwen's family as Gwen began greeting politicians.

"We're watching a master at work. I'm not even sure it was a conscious decision, but Gwen greeted her peers and supporters before any politicians. It showed where she placed the most emphasis, and it was politically brilliant. She's in the catbird seat here in D.C. and these politicians need to curry her favor. She let them cool their heels while she worked on her base, the everyday Joes that work hard, pay taxes, and vote.

"The Republican and Democratic Parties are having big blow-outs this evening. All of the party faithful are expected to attend, and they will, at least for a while. Tonight is when they begin to jockey for position and for seats on committees and the like. Gwen has no party affiliation and will be placed on the least important committee they can think of. And she'll shine like no other when they do.

"My contacts tell me that just about every powerful and influential person in Congress will make an appearance here tonight. They're paying fortunes for PR services, and every one of them is being told that nothing will help them more than being on good terms with Gwen and Steve.

"What we're seeing is unprecedented. A freshman in Congress, along with her Navy boyfriend, is rising to the top in a very difficult city. I'm not sure that President Hanson and the First Lady have more influence that Gwen and Steve. Hanson's a lame duck, but Gwen's star is rising. I predict that if they aren't already, Gwen and Steve will soon be the top power couple in Washington, and probably the world. That's your daughter I'm talking about!

"I don't know how to respond to that," admitted Ted. "I haven't thought about it in those terms. Paula and I have discussed the two of them frequently. Gwen and Steve amaze us. Look at that little byplay this afternoon. She was sworn into Congress this afternoon and a little over an hour later, she peeled off her clothes and risked her life for a man she doesn't even like. Steve saved Amber Stahl from drowning in freezing water and wasn't even breathing hard, or acting chilled. I've known him for quite a while and he still surprises me with his strength and skills."

"As parents of such an incredible woman, you must be unbelievably proud. I'm extremely proud of Steve, but that often makes me realize what I missed when his mother left us to marry his father. I wasn't a part of his life until he graduated high school. I'll never get that time back, and I'll never forgive myself for it," confessed William Patterson.

Secretary Rosen and his wife were the first of the presidential candidates to approach Gwen and Steve. "You're both amazing," gushed Mrs. Rosen. "We watched that water rescue today on live television. Small wonder you won the election without campaigning."

"Steve, we're getting a handle on the situation at the CIA," reported Secretary Rosen. "It now appears that Parker was using his position to manipulate governments to stay at war, or go to war. He was getting huge payments from international arms dealers. As you know, war is good for the economy, especially for arms dealers.

"We think it was limited to his department, not that it helped you any in Iraq. Somehow he managed to convince the director to appoint one of his men to lead the search for you. Needless to say, they wanted you to die a horrible death, so hostilities would increase. He'll rot in hell for all eternity."

"Remember your promise that if Vincent was innocent of wrong doing in the fiasco you suffered through in Iraq, you wouldn't come out against him, or for another candidate," insisted Mrs. Rosen. "Vincent will be resigning his position soon to devote full time to campaigning."

"We promised to not be publicly critical if he had no involvement in Steve's troubles in Iraq," recalled Gwen. "We'll stick to that promise."

"I suppose that'll have to do for now," acknowledged Mrs. Rosen. "There are at least five other likely candidates here tonight. They'll all try to get you to support them. Your support is critical and they all know it. Please don't come out for another candidate. If you must, then please let us know as far ahead of time as you can so we can prepare our campaign, although I have no idea how we'd manage that. You two own this town."

The Rosens drifted away to chat with other politicians. Soon other presidential hopefuls were courting Steve and Gwen. In the span of an hour, they had brief conversations with the six most likely successors to President Hanson.

Steve and Gwen once again began dancing with guests. Steve had seen Ms. Walker several times, but had not had the time to speak with her. During a break, he searched until he found her, and then asked her to dance when the music resumed.

"I noticed that you and Gwen have been spending a lot of time with the people looking to be the next president. I knew you two were special when you were in my class, but I never dreamed you'd become so important in national politics. I'm very proud of you both," praised Ms. Walker.

"Thank you, Ma'am. Any success we've enjoyed is due to your influence, at least in part. You started the hospital drive and that gave us purpose and focus."

"Yeah, but saving toddlers, winning football titles, saving the entire school, why bother trying to mention all the things you've done? We both know you'd have done great if you'd never even met me.

"I'm here with a busload of seniors and some advisors tonight. I could have brought the entire school enrollment if we had the buses and the chaperones. I kind of promised the kids that I would see that they got to meet with you and Gwen. I know you're busy, but we have some really good students and you know how a few chance meetings can make a huge difference in a life."

"Ms. Walker, you've never asked me for any favors. I'd be glad to meet with the kids you brought. Gwen's been kept busy, but I'll catch her eye and have her join us," promised Steve as he and Ms. Walker headed toward her charges.

"Kids, this is Steve Hammer. Some of you may know him. All of you know who he is and have seen him around Sparta. Steve, these are some of our brightest and best seniors," indicated Ms. Walker as she began introducing the students.

Steve smiled as he watched the kids do their best to act mature. They were at the celebration for their Congressional Representative in Washington! Their pride was apparent when Steve began answering questions. A couple of the kids stood out to Steve. One girl was absolutely beautiful, and it was obvious that she knew it. She was very confident and quite flirty. She dominated the first few minutes of their meeting as she described the many wonderful things that she and her friends had accomplished.

Steve managed to catch Gwen's eye and indicated he'd like her to join him. Gwen was delighted when Ms. Walker explained to her that the kids had come from Sparta to witness democracy in action. They were spending the night and touring D.C. the next day before returning to Sparta.

"Gwen, would you speak to these kids while I dance with one of them," asked Steve. "I find I get to know them better with one-on-one discussions."

"Yeah, that and you like to have pretty girls in your arms. Go ahead while I spend quality time with the group," agreed Gwen.

Steve stepped over to a quiet girl sitting in the back and offered her his hand. The beautiful blonde girl that had been holding court was unable to conceal her disappointment and surprise. The quiet girl looked around nervously before taking Steve's hand, while Ms. Walker beamed her approval.

"I'm Steve and you're Cheryl, if my memory serves me," began Steve as he took the shy acting girl into his arms. "I won't hurt you and I certainly won't do anything to embarrass you, so relax and smile. You don't mind dancing with me, do you?"

"Are you kidding? You're Steve Hammer! This is a dream come true. I'm just surprised that you asked me instead of Heather. She's gorgeous, the student body president, and she stars on two sports teams."

"What about you, Cheryl? Are you doing anything interesting? What position do you have in the grade rankings?" asked Steve as he guided the girl around the floor.

"I'm second in my class. I'm hoping to study chemistry and biology in college and then go into research. I'll probably take a year off between school and college to earn some more money for school," responded the girl as she gradually relaxed. "We watched you save that news woman on TV today. It's hard to believe that you're able to do so many things. Sparta has become famous because of you, Gwen, and Jordan."

"What college will you attend? Did you apply for scholarships? Do you have family in Sparta?" asked Steve as he changed the subject back to the girl.

"I've been accepted to Duke, but I'll probably go to a state school. They're a lot cheaper. I live with Mom and Dad and my three brothers on Maple Street. I've been promised a couple of small scholarships at state schools, so I'll probably go to one of them.

"Mom recently got a good job with your company. She's a manager in the factory where they make the Lady in Red clothes. Dad's been working pretty steady the last couple of years in construction. He works for Anderson Brothers. They've been getting a lot of the contracts to build stuff for your company. Mom and Dad say that Lady in Red has saved Sparta, and it's especially saved them," explained the girl.

"That's really good to hear," responded Steve. "But why is it that you don't have the funds to go to school next year if your folks have good jobs? And why not to Duke, if that's where you want to go?"

"My little brother was real sick for a few years and my parents spent most of their extra money taking care of him. My brother and I have part time jobs to buy our clothes and stuff. Mom and Dad are just beginning to get a handle on their debt. We're doing okay and my little brother is healthy now, so things are a lot better," answered the dark haired girl.

"Would you stay and dance another dance with me," asked Steve when the music stopped. He found the girl's story extremely interesting and the longer he held her in his arms, the more she smiled and the prettier she became.

"Of course! You're really being nice to me. I know you're rich and have beautiful women around you all of the time and that Gwen Anderson is your girlfriend, but it's really nice to be with you for a little while," smiled the girl before she suddenly got a worried look on her face.

"You don't think I'm going to have sex with you, do you? I can't do that. I've never done it and I promised my mom that I wouldn't do anything stupid on this trip. If that's what you're thinking, maybe I should go back to my classmates," suggested the once again nervous girl.

"Cheryl, I don't cheat on Gwen. I never have sex with other girls. I'd never try to seduce you like that, although you're very pretty and have a lovely figure. I promise you that I'll be a gentleman. Just finish the dance with me and I'll take you back, okay?"

"I'm sorry that I was so suspicious. It's just that guys never ask me to dance. I'm not popular in school. I'm teased about being so smart and studying all of the time. I'm not good with boys, and I just made a fool of myself," worried the Spartan senior.

The music ended, but Steve held the girl a little longer. "You remind me of Gwen. You're far prettier than you realize. You're smart, honest, and hard working. Can Gwen and I visit you when we're in Sparta?" asked Steve as he turned to lead the girl back to her classmates.

"You and Gwen? Of course, but we only have a small house. It isn't a big mansion like you're building up by the lake. Mom would be so proud if you did stop in. But why would you?" asked the confused girl.

"I'd like to get to know you better and I'd love to meet your parents," replied Steve.

"They're standing right over there, watching us like hawks," grinned the girl. "I'll introduce you to them right now, if you aren't afraid of my father."

"Does he look angry?" asked Steve as the girl led him toward her family. "I don't want to get worked over by an upset father on Gwen's special night."

"Mom, Dad, this is Steve Hammer. You probably heard of him in Sparta. Steve, this is my mom, Betty Baxter. This is my father, Dan Baxter. Steve wanted to meet you for some reason, as long as Dad isn't angry with him for dancing with his only daughter."

"I can see he's really nervous," laughed Betty as she shook Steve's hand. "We've seen you around town quite a lot, but we've never met. I'm a little curious how Cheryl wound up dancing with you, instead of Heather. She's beautiful, and she won't hesitate to tell you she is, and you don't even have to ask."

"Truthfully, I think Cheryl's extremely attractive. She reminds me a great deal of Gwen. That's why I asked her to dance. I found out that she's smart, a very good dancer, ranked high in her class, and is very serious about her future," added Steve. "She mentioned that she's been accepted to Duke, but lacks the money to attend this fall."

"We had some setbacks and then the economy went to hell in a hand basket," admitted Dan. "Cheryl's been an excellent daughter and we intend to help her all we can. We just have to clean up some outstanding debt first. We're both working good jobs now and things are looking up."

"That's why I wanted to speak with you. I think Lady in Red would be very interested in funding Cheryl's undergraduate studies. Would you be willing to talk to our people about it?" asked Steve.

"You'd do that for her? She's not going naked in your movies, or on vacation with you. If that's what you're thinking, then..." managed Betty before Steve interrupted her.

"I don't know why you and Cheryl think I'd try something like that, but I never would. She's a special person and we'd like her to work for Lady in Red when she's out of school, but there'd be no obligation, especially not anything sexual," concluded Steve without totally concealing his annoyance.