Lady in Red Pt. 02 Ch. 15

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"That's the very question I always try to avoid answering," replied Steve cautiously. "Since we're alone, I feel that I can be truthful. You're as beautiful as any woman I've ever seen. There are no qualifiers with that statement. You're gorgeous. I thought so the first time I saw you in class in Cuba. You've only gotten lovelier over the years."

Naomi's smile lit up the room. She reached up and pulled Steve down for a quick kiss. "I just wish that I knew then what I know now. I'd have been your girlfriend for sure."

"I like to think that we're really good friends, and that we always will be," responded Steve as they walked to their rooms. "True friends are rare commodities. I consider you to be one of my very best friends. If you ever need anything I can help you with, just let me know."

The next morning, Steve and Naomi joined the others for the discussions the Ukrainians were to have with the Russians. Steve and Naomi were seated next to Secretary Rosen, but remained quiet and listened intently to the proceedings. The rest of the American delegation sat quietly in chairs away from the conference table. As he listened, Steve realized that Secretary Rosen was extremely well versed on all facets of the dispute.

Nadiya's father was a participant in the discussions. Steve also recognized Anatoly Suchkov. Varvara's father was heading up the Russian delegation. There was an hour lunch break and then the parties were back in the conference room. By day's end, most of the issues had been resolved, but Russia insisted on the right to patrol the skies over Ukraine. The Ukraine delegation flatly refused to accept that proposal. Neither side would budge on it and it appeared that it would block the success of the other negotiations.

"Lieutenant Hammer?" boomed the voice of Anatoly Suchkov. "Do you feel that Russia is being unreasonable in its demands?"

Steve slowly looked around the room before responding. Everyone was waiting for him to speak. He responded in fluent Russian.

"Actually, I do. There's no doubt that you have superior military forces. That doesn't mean that other nations will not resist your efforts to dominate them. History has shown us time and again that people will fight for their families, their land, and for their pride.

"Everyone here knows that Russia has no real need to fly over Ukraine land. It's simply making a statement. That proposal cannot be accepted by Ukraine. I'm sure you must realize that," finished Steve.

Steve's bluntness stunned most of those in attendance. No one spoke so frankly at such important discussions between feuding nations. Secretary Rosen felt his blood pressure creep up as he listened to the translation of Steve's response.

"It would appear that our young American friend feels that Russia has no business patrolling over Ukraine. Some would think that Mr. Hammer has been persuaded to see things from the Ukraine point of view. Russia has considered him and his group to be friends since their memorable visit a few years back. Now we are beginning to wonder.

"We have all seen the new hospital Lieutenant Hammer and his group are completing in Kiev. That was an extremely noble gesture. It has greatly improved the economy of that city. It will also save thousands of sick and injured children in Kiev and all of Ukraine. We only wish that Lieutenant Hammer held Russia in as high esteem. If he could convince Russia that he felt as concerned about Russia as he does about Ukraine, we might consider his opinion about avoiding Ukraine air space."

Steve was confused at the last comment by Suchkov. He seemed to want Steve to prove that he personally liked Russia and Ukraine equally. The problem was that 'Lady in Red Productions' had constructed a beautiful new hospital in Kiev, but they had built nothing in Moscow. Apparently, Russia felt slighted by that fact.

Steve quickly considered the situation. How could such an act of generosity create an international problem? What was Anatoly really saying? Then it suddenly came to him!

"As a matter of fact, my friends and I have been considering a similar project in Moscow," revealed Steve. "We love Russia and would like to build something similar to the hospital in Kiev. Jordan Quick, Gwen Anderson, and her sisters Kate and Lisa have been pushing Charlie Burns and me to agree to a project of that nature in Moscow.

"I explained to them that we've spent about three hundred million dollars on the hospital in Kiev and will spend almost that amount every five years in operating expenses. If we invested that sort of money in Russia, we'd have to be certain that it was appreciated. We're trying very hard to help people live longer, and healthier."

"I understand your concern," replied Anatoly Suchkov. "My government would consider a request for a project like that. In fact, my government may consider avoiding Ukraine air space as a sign of appreciation, if it was convinced that a similar hospital would be constructed to treat the children of Moscow."

There it was. Steve realized that the Russian delegation had played him like a fiddle. They wanted what Kiev had; a new hospital funded by Americans. The economic impact of the construction, as well as the jobs created once it was completed would be a shot in the arm for the Russian economy. Then there was the added benefit of good health care for the children of the city.

All eyes were once again on Steve. Russia wanted a new hospital. Ukraine wanted to forge an agreement that did not allow Russia to control its air space. "Sir, Lady in Red Productions will build and operate a state of the art children's hospital in Moscow, if Russia can find a way to avoid Ukraine sovereign air space. It will be very similar to the one we are completing in Kiev this spring. I give my word."

Anatoly Suchkov never blinked as he studied Steve's face for what seemed like minutes; but Steve knew it was closer to ten seconds. "Russia will not fly over Ukraine. We look forward to the construction of the new hospital."

"Thank you, Mr. Suchkov!" exclaimed a very relived Secretary Rosen. "We have an agreement! It will be drawn up tonight. We will meet to sign it tomorrow at noon. The United States is grateful to both Russia and Ukraine for the constructive dialogue and fruitful negotiations."

"I would like to speak with Lieutenant Hammer in private, if I may," stated Anatoly Suchkov firmly.

Rosen looked at Steve, who nodded in agreement. "Thanks, Steve. I've never seen a country negotiate with a private business while in discussions with another nation. You've just spent a lot of money to help stabilize this part of the world."

Steve took Naomi's arm and escorted her as he walked across the room to meet with Suchkov, who spoke to Steve in Russian. "My wife and daughter ask that you join us for dinner at our hotel. Your lovely lady friend is invited as well. Would you honor us?"

"It would be our great pleasure. What time would you like us to arrive?" responded Steve in fluent Russian.

"I imagine you will need an hour or so to explain to your friends how you just spent so much of their money," chuckled the Russian. "Come to my hotel at six. There will be a dining room reserved, and you will be escorted to it."

Steve and Naomi then returned to the conference room the American delegation had been using as a base of operations. Senators Chatham and Mason greeted them immediately.

"Steve! I can't believe that you just promised the Russians that your company would spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a hospital in Russia. I didn't even realize that was what he was hinting at until you made the offer," marveled Senator Chatham. "They were envious of Ukraine and the hospital you built there. They wanted you at the discussions today so they could force you into making the offer. They knew that other nations would oppose that fly-over policy. They tossed it in so they had something they would be able to give up if you offered a new hospital."

"I've been involved in difficult negotiations before, but I've never seen a country include a private corporation before," added Senator Mason. "Can you actually afford that sort of expenditure?"

"I wouldn't have offered it if we couldn't afford it," replied Steve. "The real question is this; how will my partners feel about me making such a commitment without consulting them first? Please excuse me while I make some calls."

Steve placed a call to Stephanie, who worked out of the company headquarters in Sparta. He explained that he needed a conference call with Jordan, Charlie, Gwen, Kate, and Lisa. She promised that she'd make it happen. A short while later, Steve was notified that everyone was on the line.

"Steph, stay on the line, too," insisted Steve. "You need to know about this. I don't know how to tell you guys this, but I just promised the Russians that we'd built a hospital in Moscow similar to the one we're doing in Kiev. I had no right to make that promise without consulting you first, but it was at a critical point in the negotiations and Suchkov had me against the wall.

"If you'll agree to it, I'll forgo any share of any monies the company makes for as long as it takes to gain that money back. I'll even give up my share of the company if you guys think I should. I'll do about anything you ask to enable me to keep my word to the Russians on this deal."

"You want us to approve an offer you just made to build a hospital in Moscow? The one in Kiev has cost about three hundred million and will probably cost that much every few years in operating expenses, according to the last accounting statement I read," responded Jordan. "You made that offer without even consulting any of us? Not even Gwen?"

"Yes, and I apologize, Jordan. I had no right," replied Steve.

"Gwen's being awfully quiet," observed Kate. "Personally, I think this is the coolest, greatest demonstration of your faith in us that anyone could ever imagine. I'd back you on anything, Steve. I'm just proud that our company can do this, that we will do this, and that you trust us enough to make that promise knowing that we'll support you right to the gates of hell."

"Kate's right," agreed Lisa. "I'd never complain about anything you wanted to do with the money the company makes. You, Gwen, Jordan, and Charlie make almost all of it, but that doesn't even matter. We're partners and we're family. If you felt it was the right thing to do, I'm good with it. In fact, I'm more than good. I'm proud as hell."

"Charlie's laughing in the background," revealed Jordan. "He thinks it's funny that you could even consider it possible that any of us wouldn't support you in anything you want. You and Gwen are the straw that stirs the drink that we call Lady in Red Productions. We're in, and next time you don't even have to ask."

"Stephanie, can we afford that sort of expenditure?" asked Gwen.

"Easily, and a lot more," replied Stephanie. "Haven't you been looking at the reports I email to you?"

"I'm way too busy trying to pass my exams to worry about the finances of the company. That's why we have you," kidded Gwen. "I don't think anyone on this conversation will be surprised that I support Steve's offer totally. I'd give away every last dime before I'd ever embarrass Steve in any way. We can make more money, but we sure can't find another Steve. I love him. Everything I have, and everything I am is his to use as he sees fit."

"It seems to be unanimous, and I would have been shocked if it had been otherwise," concluded Stephanie. "The strength of Lady in Red Productions is its generosity, and the absolute trust you have in each other. The fact that you make block buster movies, hit songs, have a clothing line that's growing by leaps and bounds, and give so much to so many, doesn't hurt either.

"Changing the subject, I've been informed that one of the beer companies has decided to drop two minutes of commercials that it had reserved for the Super Bowl. I agreed to buy them. I didn't ask any of you because it's my job and I feel strongly that's it's a great opportunity. You can fire me anytime you like, but I don't think you will.

"I need all of you back in Sparta the weekend of the fifteenth to make some commercials. We're doing four thirty second segments. We'll advertise our lingerie and swim suits, our movies, and our music. None of you will be paid for the modeling, acting, and singing since you're all owners. I plan on making these the most discussed commercials the Super Bowl has ever seen."

"I really like the way Steph takes charge," laughed Steve. "I have to thank all of you for being so understanding and supportive. It just makes me love all of you even more. I'll be in Sparta that weekend, Steph. See all of you then. Gwen, I love you! So long."

Naomi and Steve arrived at Suchkov's hotel a few minutes before six and were shown to a private dining room. Varvara rushed to Steve and hugged him as soon as he entered the room.

"It's so good to see you again! Gwen is not with you, yet you still have a beautiful woman on your arm. Have you been able to reconcile your generous offer with your friends?" asked Varvara.

"My friends support this venture unequivocally. It wasn't really necessary to threaten Ukraine to persuade us to build a hospital in Moscow. You should have called us and asked," suggested Steve. "Mrs. Suchkov, it is nice to see you again! I hope you are feeling well."

"Thanks to you, I am doing very well. Sometimes I have bad dreams about those two Chechens that attempted to kidnap me in Washington, but mostly I remember how easily you saved me from those killers and feel relief. I did not want Anatoly to force you into building a hospital, but he had his orders."

"You would put that amount of money into Moscow if we had asked?" asked Suchkov incredulously. "That's difficult to believe. We in the Russian government felt that Ukraine must have found a way to force you to build the hospital. No one considered the possibility that you simply wanted to do such an incredibly generous act. Our government will never consider that a possibility. We are very pleased to have squeezed you into building a hospital in Moscow.

"President Novokov approved today's ploy to gain your willingness to build the hospital. He felt your generosity had limits and that you would need a bit of a push," concluded Suchkov.

"He should know better, but it's all good," reasoned Steve. "We're very fond of Russia and its people, and we're pleased to be involved in the project."

"President Novokov wanted me to ask you and your friends to perform for the people of Moscow when the weather is warmer this spring or summer," added Suchkov. "We saw how well you were received in Paris. We would expect a larger crowd in Moscow. Not everyone has the opportunity to perform in Red Square!"

"Sir, we would certainly be interested, but obviously, I have to consult my friends and our manager to determine if our schedules will allow it. It sounds very exciting. I think my people should have a response for you before month's end," promised Steve. "We'll do our best to get it set up. We really enjoyed our visits to Russia."

Once again, Steve and Naomi had a lively discussion when they returned to their hotel. "That was some interesting day! You committed your company to make a six hundred million dollar expenditure, and that's not counting what it will cost to operate years from now. You've been asked by the Russian government to perform in Red Square when the weather warms up. Tomorrow we're going to tour the new hospital your company built for the children of Kiev and Eastern Europe. They'll probably want you to perform at the grand opening. They sure love your music here."

"That's a good idea," nodded Steve. "We can try to arrange covering these commitments on the same trip. It isn't much more difficult to do two shows than one."

The next morning, Steve went down to meet Naomi for breakfast. He wasn't surprised to find Senators Mason and Chatham sitting at the table with her.

"President Hanson was stunned to hear that part of the negotiations was for your company to build a new hospital in Moscow," informed Senator Chatham. "He was extremely grateful that you agreed to the request. There are very few people in the entire world that help settle international conflicts by spending huge amounts of money on humanitarian endeavors.

"The American delegation will be touring the new hospital today with you. The Ukraine government invited them. The Ukrainians are extremely proud and want to show it off. I don't have to tell you that Larson and some of the others aren't too keen on touring the hospital that you and Gwen built, but there was no way they could refuse without insulting our hosts. You need to be aware that you and Gwen are making a few dangerous enemies in Washington and a huge number of fans and admirers around the world."

Steve and Naomi were treated like royalty as they toured the almost completed hospital the following day. Steve didn't know exactly what all of the equipment was used for, but it appeared to be state of the art, and expensive. Finishing touches, like painting, trim, and hanging doors, signage, and the computer system remained to be installed. Steve was assured that it would be ready to open before June.

"I'm so proud of my friends for funding this amazing building and all of this equipment!" praised Naomi. "I can see why the Russians wanted a hospital like this. It's so modern and well equipped. This is amazing!"

Even the harshest critics of Gwen's and Steve's were impressed with the structure and the modern machinery. There could be no doubt that the hospital was going to be a major factor in improving the health and welfare of children in Kiev, Ukraine, and all of Eastern Europe.

By the time the delegation returned to Washington, the media was having a field day with Lady in Red Production's decision to fund a modern hospital in Russia. Gwen was interviewed on several stations as she was making her way to and from her medical school classes. The angle of Gwen becoming a doctor while funding entire hospitals was heavily played up.

Bill Hardy came back to the anchor chair the same evening that Steve returned to Washington from his trip to Eastern Europe. With his arm in a cast, Hardy thanked his friends and family for helping him through his recovery from the helicopter crash in the Potomac. Then he commented on Steve and Gwen's generosity.

"What us Americans need to ask is this. Why is Lady in Red Productions spending so much money in Communist countries? The United States could use the jobs as well as the medical facilities. Don't we Americans deserve to be treated at least as well by American companies as people in foreign lands? How much money does Gwen Anderson make, and is it legal for a sitting member of Congress to use her position to increase her personal wealth? Has she filed all of the required forms? How much does she pay in income tax? What is the extent of her wealth? How much did she spend to gain her seat?" persisted Hardy. "Have we become a nation where the wealthy can buy anything, including political office, and public favor?"