Legacy: Gardener

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Lost Boy
Lost Boy
5,800 Followers

"I knew it." Grandma laughed, and everyone giggled. "You can tell by the hands. You have some huge mitts on you. What do you do for a living?"

"I travel. I buy things, have them shipped back here, and sell them."

"You are Blackstone's kid." She replied, and I nodded. "You got that Arab bitch working at your shop."

"Her name is Qadira and she is family, be nice." I fired back.

"It's your place, but..." she began, and I stared her down. "Never mind me, I'm just an old lady."

I chatted with the other customers and beauticians while Grandma fumed in the corner. I couldn't let her bad attitude slide when it came to family. Qadira was my sister and I cared about her too much for her to get a bad reputation. The teen looked at her newly done nails and smiled. She paid and left. I told her I had been on the road for months and needed a good going over. She gently positioned my head in the sink and wet my hair. I looked up and watched her expressions. They went from good humored to curious. When I asked her if anything was wrong she shook her head. I felt her fingers slide through my hair and I shivered.

"Who did your hair last?" She asked.

"I haven't had a hair cut in months," I told her.

"No, I mean who dyed it? I've never seen a pigment act like this. Are you naturally a redhead?"

"No," I admitted. "I've been in some real out of the way places. I figured it was some of the local food that did this."

"Weird," she said her fingers digging further to the roots. "Let's get you lathered up. For what it is worth, your hair is in good condition. You need a cut in a bad way, but everything looks healthy."

"That is good to know. I do so much travelling sometimes though I can't get access to simple conveniences."

"I will have to come by and see what you got," she said as she rinsed my hair. "Did you want me to trim your beard or what?"

"I haven't decided. Do you think I should keep it? I've never grown one out before." I admitted feeling unsure.

"Hmm, let's get your hair under control and then we'll tackle your beard."

"Fair enough."

I let her pick the style and it was different but looked good on me. She took my chin in her hand and turned my way this way and then that. I felt she was being critical as she analyzed my face. She took out scissors and trimmed the beard to perfection. As she worked she told me how to maintain my facial hair and told me to come by when I felt it needed a touch up. She was brushing out the last of the loose hair when I felt it, a huge surge of magic. I paid and gave her a healthy tip as I hurried out of the shop. The next surge was stronger than the first. I was able to sprint along and trace it to its source, the bank. What the hell was going on? My feet picked up on the dull vibration. That was followed by the high-pitched shriek of metal.

The side of the bank was torn open and debris neatly stacked. If there had been an explosion, then all would have been pure chaos. This was done with precision and care. I could've called the cops, but I was far too curious to discover the thief's identity and source of the magic involved. First the Amazing Randi appears at my house and now this. Today was shaping up to be an interesting day. I gathered the shadows about me and softened my footfalls. I crept in unseen.

The front of the bank was undisturbed, but the back was another matter altogether. Desks and offices were utterly wrecked. At first there didn't appear to be any reason to it but once I moved further back I understood. The thief was making room for the vault door. How did I know that? It was from walking into the vault and seeing the multiton door hovering in the air. It tumbled weightlessly and floated over my head and settled onto the space set aside for it on the left side of the office space beyond.

The felt the subtle vibrations as the thief strode triumphantly into the vault proper and I heard snapping metal as safety deposit drawers were torn from their foundation. I snuck into the vault to get a better look at the thief. She gestured, and a whirlwind picked up the strewn contents from the drawers and deposited into the bag she was holding. It was obvious the thief was a woman. She was far too curvy even though her features and head were carefully covered. I reached out to find the source of her magic. Did she radiate power, or did she have an artifact? It was the ring on her right hand. The items tumbled into the bag and then her knees collapsed. She let out a whimper of pain.

"How long has it been hurting you?" I asked, and she spun on me.

"Get away," she cried out as she lashed out with a telekinetic attack.

"I'm not your enemy," I said throwing up a shield. "You are in pain."

"Yes..." she said sobbing as she cradled her hand.

"I'll carry out your loot if you give me the ring. You can leave here and retire."

"You aren't going to kill me?" She gasped as she tugged at the ring.

"Why the hell would I want to do that?" I asked as I closed the distance between us.

"Get away from her, the ring belongs to me."

I spun around and saw an elderly man standing in the office area. With a slicing motion of his hand a figure appeared between him and me. I recognized the demonic features instantly, she was a succubus. The old man, like the thief, had a plain dark silver band on his right hand. His ring was able to gate in demons while the thief's manifested telekinetic powers. How many damn rings were there? I was preparing combat spells when Bambi appeared without me calling her.

"Hello sunshine," the blue skinned demoness greeted me as she spread her wings blocking the vault from the outside. "What is going on?"

"He used his ring to summon her. He wants the thief's ring... oh wait... my ring." I said catching the dark silver band from the girl.

"I don't want it anymore! Quit chasing me..." she shrieked at the old man.

"Kill her and then get me my ring." The old man directed his succubus.

"Master..." the ebony skinned beauty whispered to him.

"The girl is under my protection." I said and Bambi grinned. "She is under Bambi's protection too."

"Master..." the other succubus tried again.

"Kill them all!"

"Sit tight Master," Bambi said crossing her arms under her breasts.

The dark-skinned demoness spun and leapt upon the old man. Bambi giggled as the man was devoured except for his left hand. Bambi picked up the hand and removed the ring. She walked over, knelt, and offered it to me. I took it and examined it and its brother.

"They look like part of a set." I muttered.

"They are, they are called the Five Kings. Each has its own abilities and limits. The Cutpurse's Friend allows for telekinesis. It can lift nearly any object within reason or slice through the toughest materials. The Magician's Apprentice allows for the summoning of extradimensional beings like demons and elementals. It can also store mystical energy if the wearer is a mage. The limits are the physical toll the Cutpurse exacts from its keeper and the Apprentice cannot send an agent of the same realm against another of its ilk. When the old man demanded she attack me his soul was forfeit."

"She tried to warn him." I said, and the other succubus nodded. "You were loyal to him. Return to your realm in peace and if I require your services I will call."

The ebony demoness knelt and vanished. I placed my hand on the thief's shoulder and healed her as I had Randi. She was fit except for the strain of carrying the ring. She would recover on her own.

"That feels good, wait, did you heal me, why?" She said getting to her feet. "Hold on, you are a real mage, aren't you?"

"Yes. I will keep my promise. Let me help you and you will retire, right."

"Absolutely." She said. "I am done."

"Allow me," Bambi offered. "Look in your van, until next time sunshine." The demon disappeared between the blink of an eye.

The wealth was mainly paper money but there were several boxes of gold coins for customers desiring to invest in the rare element. We slipped out the back to where her vehicle was parked. I let out a low whistle when I saw the severed power cables that fed the bank. They were heavily armored and thick as a man's thigh. The power of the ring had sliced through them with laser precision. The alarm never had a chance to sound. She agreed to share a little of her story, her time with the ring and how she had found it.

Her name was Harper. She found the ring six years ago while renovating a house that dated back to the St. Louis World's Fair. Harper bragged that she had been stealing ever since. It had begun with playing around with the ring and seeing what it could do. The pain didn't start until she used it to cut through armored power cables, and wrenching bank vault doors from their housings. There were other things the ring could do but she was afraid of using those abilities. When I asked nicely she shared that the ring could raise and lower the temperature of objects and substances.

"I did use the cryokinesis once. I wanted to go ice skating, but the lake hadn't frozen over completely. I fixed that right up. I had a headache for two days after that little outing. I learned the difference between light and dark ice. When I froze the lake, I got carried away and made it way too thick. I tapped into glaciokinesis or creating dark ice. Don't look at me like that, I Googled it."

I laughed but I found her story interesting. When I asked her about not using pyrokinesis her look darkened and I suspect she was hiding something. I bet someone got hurt and she was lying about never using it. So, I changed the subject a little.

"Have you ever tried manipulating water?" I asked.

"Have I!" She said clapping her hands together as we passed the Bugatti and I pointed to a spot a block away for her to park. "That is how I learned about the ring. I was in a bar. I was bored waiting for my boyfriend to show up. I was staring at the ice cubes in my glass. One of them floated up to the top and being bored and a little frustrated imagined it sinking. I about lost it when it did. I wasn't sure at first, so I tried it on the girl's glass across from me. It worked of course. That's when it all started."

She was relieved to be rid of it. While it had made her wealthy the toll it took out and the fear of the others became too much. Harper warned me to watch my back. She begged me to sell them or throw them in the ocean. I told her I would consider it, but I was far too curious about the Five Kings to be rid of them so soon. She warned me the others would try and find me and the rings. I asked her if she knew what the other rings did. Harper parked and put the van in park. She tugged the mask from her head and I whistled. She was cute, real cute. As she tried and recall I looked her over. Her eyes hinted at either an Asian or Pacific Islander heritage. She had well defined cheek bones, a triangular face and full lips on a smallish mouth. Her hair was the color of coal and straight with a slight wave to it.

"Well, I think one of them can turn invisible. I'm not sure but there was this one time a few months back. Someone broke into a room I was renting. I snuck out the back and caught a strange silhouette. The only other one I encountered was the Voice. Well, that's what I call him. He called me and I was paralyzed when he told me to stay put. If it wasn't for my girlfriend I'd be dead. She pulled me out of the bar and to her car. She thought I had gotten a dose of a date rape drug. I learned later that he had gotten a picture of me and traced down where I had bought my phone. He talked to the guy behind the counter and got all my information. I've been using burner phones ever since. Listen, you are cute and all but I have to get out of here. Watch your ass okay. I am lucky to be getting out without getting hurt. I am going somewhere warm, wet, and sunny. If you are ever in the Bahamas look me up. I'll rock your world."

"I'll buy you a margarita sometime. Take care Harper." I said as I closed the door and she drove off.

I stared at the two rings in the palm of my hand. At first glance they were identical. It was the runes stamped into the interior of the band that separated them. The Cutpurse's Friend hand had a glyph that looked like a hand while the Magician's Apprentice had an all-seeing eye. While I could replicate some of either ring's abilities the drain would range from minimal to extreme. I began to wonder if possessing two or more rings would allow for a crossover of powers. Only one way to find out, I slipped on both rings.

"Hello Sunshine," Bambi greeted me on the side of the road.

"I like the look," I replied seeing her in a more human guise. "Why are you back?"

"I thought you might want to know about the other kings in exchange for a few small tasks."

"I am still your go to demonic bounty hunter huh?" I said, and she took my arm as if we were lovers.

"NO... no, I have another one of those. He is a demon in training, he just doesn't know it yet." She purred in my ear. "So, what do you say Thomas?"

"Depends, who are these people? How many are we talking?"

"Well, considering how obscure the information I have. How about six? You find them and just like before I'll handle the rest." She offered. "If you do well I'll throw in a little something extra."

"Thorn, please take note of the names Bambi is going to list off and I want a complete background check."

The hologram appeared and took my other arm. I felt the pressure of her fingers and wondered at the extent of Osirian technology. Thorn mouthed the words 'hard light technology'. The succubus listed off the six names and one of them sounded faintly familiar. Thorn went to work and dug into their lives. Bambi continued and told me what she knew of the other three rings, but she didn't know who owned them or where they were.

"The Kings have a way of keeping themselves and their owners hidden. One of them is known as the Silver Heart. I heard rumors that it grants its owner a kind of immortality and regenerative abilities. Another is one I know you'll like, it is call the Mirror's Bane. It makes its wearer invisible. It is every teenage boy's dream. Did you ever spy on the girl's locker-room? I can make that happen if you want."

"That jives with what Harper told me, she thought one of them could turn invisible. What about the last one? What does the Last King do?"

"That one... that is the most dangerous of the lot," Bambi whispered dramatically. "It is called the Emperor's Voice. It does what it sounds like, the wearer can command anyone to do anything with a few words. I mean anything, even suicide."

"It works over a phone line." I informed Bambi.

"How the hell could you possibly know that? Oh yeah the girl shared some info too." The demon squeezed my arm tighter and continued. "Here's something she wouldn't know. I have it on good authority that the ring doesn't work on immortals."

"Interesting, it could still be a problem for others. I..."

"I have finished the background checks of the individuals. They are all what might be called morally bankrupt or of legally questionable status." Thorn announced suddenly and with great conviction.

"Well, I gave you what I know. I await your contact with great enthusiasm."

She disappeared between one footstep and the next. I turned to Thorn as she displayed images of the six men I was hunting. I pointed to the Mexican national and remembered him from a news broadcast. He was the leader of a drug cartel. If the others were half as bad at he was I'd have no qualms about handing them over to Bambi. Thorn followed me as we walked around the neighborhood. The men had only one thing in common so far and that was the demoness. That was until Thorn told me about the bank they all used in laundering everything from drug money to stolen assets.

I spotted a coffeehouse and decided on a cup of coffee and time to go over my targets. A few minutes later I was seated by the window. I used my retinal display and looked at the six men. I spread out the images along my field of vision. I brought up an icon for the bank they all shared below them. I asked Thorn to display all other business or political connections. Those results were staggering. I had twenty interesting characters now and soon I had twice that many all equally sketchy. Thorn had already made these connections, so I had her show me everything that she had found.

"Holy shit," I cursed under my breath. "Show me the key characters in this little drama."

"A hundred in all, businesses and individuals that are all interconnected."

"Do you really have proof about him?" I asked pointing to the chief political figure. A series of bank statements and list of transactions connected him to both Russia and Mexico. "I'll be damned."

"Isn't the President of the United States supposed to be morally superior?" Thorn asked.

"The key word is supposed to be," I stated. "He's got an anchor around his neck. Can you show me the worst of the lot?"

"What sort of criteria do you want?"

"Keep the original six in the list and display those involved in destroying lives. Who is left?"

"One moment, these sixty-seven are the absolutely worst. They have destroyed hundreds of thousands of lives either by direct action or their greed."

"I see the POTUS is still on the list. I shouldn't be surprised. Here's what I want you to do."

I sat and sipped my coffee as Thorn did as I had commanded. I was about to order another cup when the police sirens sounded. Looks like the robbery had finally been detected. I got up and decided to see who was involved. I walked down as many others did to see the line of police tape that was being erected. Tim and others were keeping people away from the bank.

"Hey Thomas," Tim called, and I walked over.

"Hey, what the hell man?"

"You look good, when did you go red?"

"It drives the girls crazy." I shot back. "Did someone rob the bank?"

"Yeah, you remember those crazy heists where the vault was torn open?"

"I remember one in Southern California. The Feds were clueless I hear."

"World is going crazy, I can't believe my eyes."

"Thomas?" Victoria's voice cut through the background noise. "We are heading home."

"Hey, is it that late? Sorry Tim, I have plans. I got to go."

"Have fun."

Victoria, Keisha and I returned home. I fought the urge to gun the Bugatti since most of the police force was at the bank. Somehow, I managed to keep the needle under the speed limit. My excitement was torn between the party and the two rings on my fingers. I pulled into the garage next to Victoria. I put thoughts of rings and evil men behind me for now. It was time to celebrate my homecoming and spend time with my family.

I followed Victoria and Keisha inside and fired off a text to Eleanor. Her reply froze me in my tracks when I saw the size of her belly. It would only be a matter of weeks before her child was born. I felt that the ease of her pregnancy meant that I wasn't the father. Lao you dirty old man you. You'll make a great dad, weird but good. The air was full of smells and my mouth watered. The dining room table was covered with dishes as well as bottles of wine set out to breath. I shared the images of Eleanor's belly and soon I was bombarded with others from my siblings. I could see the subtle progression of her pregnancy through those images. I smiled thinking I might have a young brother or sister. Eleanor was so happy, and I wished I could have hugged her. We toasted to her and our soon to be born sibling.

Knocking Boots:

A month had passed since my return from Osiris Prime. Eleanor was ready to pop any minute now. It was my turn to take on the night shift. Once I got word of the birth I would awaken the household and we would celebrate the birth of the newest Blackstone. The household was silent. To help them sleep I had worn them out completely. My hunger had taken its blissful toll on them and I felt a sense of pride at a job well done. Even the nigh on insatiable Indigo lay sleeping with her head in my lap. I sat on the couch watching television. As I flipped through the channels I caught a breaking news story on BNN. The banner below the news anchor read 'President bankrupt and properties under foreclosure.' The feed switched to the now famous tower located in midtown Manhattan. There were multiple news crews covering the seizure.

Lost Boy
Lost Boy
5,800 Followers