All Comments on 'Life as a New Hire Ch. 22'

by FinalStand

Sort by:
  • 32 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago

Dude. Cliff hanger. Not cool. I was damn excited about finding out who estere was then there was no next page. Exciting writing though. Keep it up

pariah001pariah001over 9 years ago

Nooooooooo! You cliff hanging writing monster! hahaha, now I gotta wait for the next installment to figure out whats going on!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago

Cursesss!!! FOILED AGAIN!!!!!

can't wait for new one

HamanoHamanoover 9 years ago
Thanks

Another great chapter.

========

Regarding a previous comment-- we only met Estere Abed briefly at the funeral. She's part of his hopes to form an alliance with the Nine Clans.

HibernisHibernisover 9 years ago
A shade of real brilliance

There is some lovely social satire mixed in here. Impossible not to enjoy.

sailandoarsailandoarover 9 years ago
Yet another . . .

. . . Thank You, for sharing your great gift.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
I would be...

... so very amused if Estere was the owner of the place. That would be a perfect way for Brennan to be socially smacked down. Cael knows the owner and he doesn't.

ddrapermadmenddrapermadmenover 9 years ago
Is there a character scorecard?

I am starting to lose track...

NWlifterNWlifterover 9 years ago
This was fun...

I enjoyed the humorous situations Cáel found himself in(created for himself).

Now the agonizing wait for the next installment.

Keep up the good work.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Still loving the story, and the fun.

This one was less fun than others. A little too much explanation for every action. It was like: (A) happened because of BCDE and Q; oh yeah, and remember Z from last week? And Repeat.

I like when the story is more of a joke you get and then get enhanced by the explanation, not when the explanation kills the joke. I mean no offense. I love this story, its characters and your humor. This one did not work as well. Thank you for the update, please continue.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Excited to find out the direction you are taking this story

FS, you obviously are part genius and part madman. Anyway, from your quotes to your dialogues I find the style intelligent, funny and intriguing. I am really looking forward to new parts of your stories. Then I think you find a balance telling a story where the sex is fun and function not self purpose. The part consisting of the historical/strategical aspects of the amazon background was a crazy surprise. Fascinating.

I enjoy every single part and have been laughing tears many times.

Thank you very much for the joy and fun you are sharing, you are my favorite author.

Bigg_MikeBigg_Mikeover 9 years ago
Rollicking

This story proves the need for that word. Just when you think you have maybe figured out what is going on for the next few minutes, the floor swings out and away we go.

FinalStandFinalStandover 9 years agoAuthor
Cast of Characters (September/2014)

Thanks to Nut Ranch, I have been able to post a Chaster of Characters. Unfortunately, there is a word limit on the Bio page, so I submitted a List instead, updated to the start of Chapter 25. I'm going to go back and post this notice on Chapters 5, 10, 15 and 20.

jwoodiejwoodieover 9 years ago
More excellent work, FS.

I'm like the others - the wait for the next chapter is time for some serious nail-biting, but the quality of that next chapter is well worth the wait.

Watching Brennan realize he doesn't know how far out of his depth he is is going to be priceless. Too bad he never had occasion to learn that the most powerful person in the room is frequently not the obviously richest one. And, as an anonymous poster so rightly said, Cáel knows Estere, and she knows him, and Brennan is out in the cold, having just behaved in a manner unbecoming a gentleman. In front of his social betters. Oops.

Keep up the good work, please.

Riverwolf0222Riverwolf0222over 9 years ago
5*, but......

First, I loved this chapter. But back in chapter 20, while explaining what was going on to some of the first inductees for house Ishara, Cáel received several packages that contained things that they, his security detail, had no idea what they were for. I want to know what those items were, I understand at the moment he was distracted. My hope is that in a later chapter we get to revisit those unidentified packages. I noticed he mentioned that he was returning with twice the amount of luggage he had left with, so maybe that might come up later as he unpacks. Thank You FS for the fun ride so far and please keep them coming.

FinalStandFinalStandover 9 years agoAuthor
Items from Chapter 20

The items were the ceremonial brazier, packages of incense to be used, the bowl for Cáel to collect his tears, the stylized writing case and paper for the names to be written down on and the shawl/cowl he used when the incense was burning to trap the smoke to increase the rate he teared up. I wasn't that Rachel didn't know what the devices were as much as not knowing what they would be used for. Recall, Cáel is making the Isharan Induction ceremony up as he goes along.

Hammer25Hammer25over 9 years ago
I need more!

I need more laanh nowwwww

maxd01maxd01over 9 years ago
Yay and damn it...

Excellent chapter but damn it now I have to wait for the next installment.

Riverwolf0222Riverwolf0222over 9 years ago
Thanks

Thank You for clearing that up for me FS.

Dav2020Dav2020over 9 years ago
Drugs

This story is what I imagine being addicted to cocaine, heroin etc to be like. I am always left wanting my next hit and for it to be better than the last.

So far, I have never been let down.

Thank you so much FinalStand for producing a masterpiece!!!!

hopelessly_otakuhopelessly_otakuover 9 years ago
The dialogues in this chapter were off the charts

The to and fro between cael and anima was great. "I'm not untouchable, you just lack the imagination to hurt me" - classic :D

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
got to be a nay-sayer

I'm sorry, I think this is your weakest chapter so far. The droning on and on between Cael and Anama (or whatever her name is, since you changed the spelling of it at least 4 times in this chapter) stopped being fun after the first half page.

Ok, we get it, Cael doesn't like frat boys. So why write the damned chapter? The morality lesson was spread on far too thick.

That and the typos (especially around the names) just were overwhelming in this installment.

I love your work. I really like this story. But this chapter really started to lose me.

FinalStandFinalStandover 9 years agoAuthor
Sorry you feel that way...

Anima and Brennan were 'bad people', but this chapter isn't about them. Frat boys? I hope no one takes my portrayal of Trent and Brennan as the Fraternity norm. What they are/were is an example of extreme selfishness and an overblown sense of entitlement. That wasn't the point of the chapter.

What was it about? The growth of Libra and Brooke. They aren't doing what Cael wants. They are doing what they think is right and looking back on their own ways of thinking. I am developing their characters.

I don't feel poverty ennobles and that wealth corrupts. It falls to the individual to make their choices.

What happens in 22 meshes with the actions in Chapter 23. I hope it clarifies things.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Guys, lighten up a bit.

On practically every chapter, I see someone comment that "this chapter was the worst one". First of all, when you read a book, do you rate the chapters individually? Of course not! This is no different. If you've read 22 chapters already, you clearly like the story, so stop complaining and show a little more appreciation.

FinalStand is a BRILLIANT author! I'm a guy who prides himself on his wit and humor, but compared to FS I'm an ape asking for a banana in sign language. Just sit back and enjoy the story he is kind enough to provide for free.

(End of rant)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
So, Cael's granddad was a Nazi/fascist?

You write "My great-grandfather ... hated it and died fighting as a Hungarian soldier against the Soviets in World War II". Here is what Wikipedia writes about this:

"In 1940, Hungary joined the Axis powers. The following year, Hungarian forces participated in the invasion of Yugoslavia and the invasion of the Soviet Union. Their participation was noted by German observers for its particular cruelty, with occupied peoples subjected to arbitrary violence. Hungarian volunteers were sometimes referred to as engaging in "murder tourism." [in 1944] Hungarian fascist leader Ferenc Szálasi established a new government, with German backing. In 1945, Hungarian and German forces in Hungary were defeated by advancing Soviet armies.

Approximately 300,000 Hungarian soldiers and more than 600,000 civilians died during World War II, including among them more than 400,000 Jews and 28,000 Roma."

FinalStandFinalStandabout 4 years agoAuthor
Anonymous

Strictly speaking ... no, his great-grandfather was not a fascist, or a Nazi. He was a Monarchist in that he supported the regency of Admiral Horthy because it was Horthy who got his homeland (Székelys-inhabited Transylvania) returned to Hungary in 1940.

He joined the Hungarian Army in 1941 (he was 19) and served on the Russian Front from 1943 until late 1944, when he was killed in action. When his government was overthrown by the Arrow Party - the fascists - in late 1944, he didn't desert because his homeland was in danger - from the Soviets.

Did he partake in any atrocities? Most likely. Many Hungarian troops served rear echelon duties which involved fighting partisans and the resultant reprisals. Those were not things he wrote home about. To those who survived him, he was an heroic figure who was martyred for his love of his race (Hungarian/Székelys) and his homeland (Transylvania).

Would he have been considered a war criminal if he had lived? Most likely. He was an officer, though low ranking, who killed Russian civilians. He was equal parts ruthless and brave. It turns out Cáel can be the same way when you put the lives of people he loves in danger.

Cáel's great-grandfather also fought and killed Russian partisans which later material will reveal placed him in combat against his own Amazon 'sisters' ... which Amazons would consider treasonous.

If it matters, his Great-grandmother never voted in any US election. His grandfather was a Republican because of his anti-communist stance. His father was a Democrat because he was a union man in Chicago in the late 20th century. As is pointed out in a later chapter, in the only presidential election Cáel ever voted in (2012), he voted for Barack Obama ... because he knew this really hot chick who was passionate about the guy ~ classic Cáel.

Again, if it matters, in the 2016 election, Cáel will most likely vote for Donald Trump. But not because he's pro-Trump, because he's anti-Hillary Clinton ... because Hillary was Secretary of State and he has real issues with the US State Department. Also, Trump is more likely to be pro-Khanate (more on that in later chapters) which benefits Cáel and his burgeoning family (yeah ... death of the Man/Bear/Pig by means of matrimony).

I hope this helps.

Take care,

James aka FinalStand

P.S. I will try to get back to earlier comments. I've been coming out of a deep, dark funk recently. I apologize. I'm trying to get better.

IvanZifermanIvanZifermanabout 4 years ago
Re: Gael's Granddad

Thank you for the detailed response! (And thank you very much for the excellent stories!) It is almost funny, though, how you keep pointing to Gael's granddad fighting Russian soldiers and local resistance (which would almost make sense if he had some premonition of what will happen a few years into the future), while the history suggests Hungarians killing women and children in Moldova and Ukraine, while making Jews second class citizens in Hungary itself. 1941-1943 was no "defense of homeland", just joining Germany in its attempt to enslave people of what it considered "inferior ethnicity".

FinalStandFinalStandabout 4 years agoAuthor
IvanZiferman

Strangely enough, I am working on an alternate history tale (called Blades) which deals with the plight of the Jews and Ukrainians during the Khmelnytsky Uprising of 1648-1657 against the Polish Commonwealth. It was a struggle filled with atrocities as well as an heroic battle to survive as an ethnic identity. It is a conflict way too many people are unaware of.

I had to research not only the leaders and peoples involved in the Uprising, but the history of the Jewish People during the 17th century in the Eastern Mediterranean and Eastern Europe. Added to that the greater geopolitical arena of Eastern Europe and the Near East comes into play ... which hopefully I haven't made too much of a hack-job of and all the while not losing track of the two lovers caught up in those turbulent times.

Anyway, it was my pleasure to respond to your comment. Take care,

James aka FinalStand

IvanZifermanIvanZifermanabout 4 years ago
Khmelnytsky

Thank you! Yes, it is remarkable how the narrative fed to the public avoids inconvenient details. Living in USSR, I was only aware of the "re-unifier with Russia" role of Bohdan Khmelnytsky. Funny, it's a sci-fi book (Endymion by Dan Simmons) that has given me a hint that the Soviet story of Khmelnytsky is not quite right. Will try not to bother you longer.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Reading this for the first time. Very entertaining and a wonderful escape. I regretfully forget to rate the end of too many chapters in my zeal to read what comes next. Apologies.

Ravey19Ravey1911 months ago

In some ways it gets more riotous as Cáel progresses through life but always something serious in the background that comes through.

skippersdadskippersdad9 months ago

Brenen rode the Lightning . Funny stuff Great story.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userFinalStand@FinalStand
5302 Followers
First off, I thrive on feedback; so please fire away when you get the urge. I read it all and it often brings different perspectives. The main thing making me a little unusual is that I'm bi-polar … with some serious medication on board to stay semi-normal. My other character...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES