All Comments on 'Life's Little Curves Ch. 02'

by SmilinsweetAngel95

Sort by:
  • 12 Comments
emj417emj417over 10 years ago

why can't she help him find a job in the hospital. as a returning vet he can go tot he VA to help out, also. Rooting for this couple.

ariesgirlariesgirlover 10 years ago

I know most think just because someone has been in the military that the VA will automatically help out and the problem will be solved. As a vetetan myself I can tell you that is a no. Not to speak bad on the VA but some of the resources they provide you have to be at a particular disability percentage in order to use them. There are lengthy procedures you have to go through to get into the VA system and if the member has no documentation for certain things makes it even harder to get approved.

I know some members when being discharged from the military get little to no information on how to fill out all the paperwork to have access to the VA. When I retired I had help filling out the proper forms and didn't run into any problems. The VA website has some helpful information but its easier to talk to someone to have a good understanding. And its also helpful to have a VA facility nearby because it takes forever to get through the VA phone lines.

I feel Vince's pain. I have been out of the military for a couple of years and I'm still looking for employment. I got a feeling he will find something. They need to really talk to each other soon. Their lack of communication is going to further cause problems.

emj417emj417over 10 years ago

As aries girl stated, help to the veteran is not automated; I attended transitional classes that were mandatory in my branch of service. After retiring 14 yrs ago, I worked several civilian jobs, and recently finally got a job working with veterans that I really enjoy. While working I attended school (night classes) for adults and when finished, I hammered the gov site with applications, until I got the job.

My son is also a vet, but without my help, he was basically working in the dark and then dealing with being an Iraqi vet... Nothing came easy, but he was able to start college--I know the character Vince says he is no good with school, but there are many vocational classes/2 yr medical programs and once trained and certified the pay is good.

Eligible vets are offered the GI post 9/11 Bill to pay for school, even online classes, and there is a stipend, also. Advice: if able to go voc rehab (20-30% service connected) use them first to pay for school, then 9/11 bill. My son was finally able to get a job that he likes and the pay is good simply because we continuously submitted applications, and vets are now offered jobs (mainly entry level, but it's a foot in the door) first in the veteran administration.

It is not automated, but Aries Girl, don't give up and find something--anything--while you go through the process if getting service connected. I did Wal-Mart, 911, and used the interviews as learning tool, bc getting rejected over and over ain't no joke. I try to help the new vets and point them in the direction to get things started and even recommend an adult night school, so they can work during the day--most, like my son, didn't realize this.

Now, I am loving this story and Vince needs to get with his buddies and find out if they can help or do some research online for assistance (hint: he seems to be good on computers). Most importantly, they both need to communicate and be there for one another.

casemgrcasemgrover 10 years ago
Enjoying the story

I, too, thought that he could use his military connections to help find a job. But then I thought that maybe you were using his inability to find work as part of the storyline by adding stressors for them. Either way, I'm enjoying the story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago

Loving the comments and the story. Who knew that this story would resonate on suchh a core level. Kudos for your insights into the very real needs our vets and their love ones face daily.

Decadent Dessert

SmilinsweetAngel95SmilinsweetAngel95over 10 years agoAuthor
Sorry

I know that the situation isn't completely life like, but I'm 18, I'm not in the military, and I don't have any veteran friends who I am close enough to ask about it. I mean what am I suppose to day when they ask why do you want to know? What I do know is that even with all the different places they have to help veterans, its still not easy to get back regular life. Where I live I know there's not a huge amount of places for veterans to go.

I do plan on using his unemployment as a way to move the plot. As a matter of fact, his choice of employment is the reasoning for a lot of the things the couple will go through in the future.

lonerancherlonerancherabout 10 years ago
a story off a typical american couple

lots of pressure lots of pressure.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
I like this story

It's a bit odd that he can't afford to go to school. Don't vets get the GI bill or qualify for some other free stuff?

EuphoriaSlam69EuphoriaSlam69about 10 years ago
This is sweet

It's real life isn't it - couples with money problems that cause sadness and resentment killing libido and love for one another because of stress. There's only so much that sex and "I love you" will do when you've got pressure to pay bills, a drunk husband and a dirty house to come home to every day - and then zero sex. I really really like this story a lot!

SmilinsweetAngel95SmilinsweetAngel95about 10 years agoAuthor
Halfway Realistic

I know that it's weird. In certain aspect of their life I am realistic, but I know in other parts I am not so much. That's partially a lack of knowledge on my part, but then its also because the story would be a lot different if I did let him go to school or if he applied to the sheriff or police department.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago

Fuck, you need an editor or at the very least learn about GRAMMAR! Did instead of DONE is just one example of the poor grammar all through what I have read and I'm not bothering with the rest, its painful to read.

rightbankrightbankalmost 10 years ago
a very troubled relationship

but it seemed like we took a giant leap forward in time without knowing what had happened along the way. when and why did they move? what happened during the last seven months? why is he just now discovering her eating habits have changed?

and

fire your editors.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous