Love And War Bk. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
IronDragon
IronDragon
1,613 Followers

"You realize that the Orions have no Honor, correct?" Admiral Nelson asked.

"I'm banking on it, sir", said Jason with conviction. "And if they accept, it will be better for us as well. Just don't tell them that."

Nelson thought about it a moment, then said "Now why didn't I think of that? Commander, if this works, I'll buy you 5 cases of your favorite beer!"

"Sir, if this works, make it 5 cases for every crewmember on Nimitz and Enterprise," Jason replied, grinning.

"Don't push your luck, son", said Nelson, smiling and chuckling. "Alright, I'll contact them now. Enterprise, out."

As the screen went dark, the Nimitz Bridge erupted in hugs, backslaps, more hugs, and quite a few passionate kisses. Marie nearly got her head taken off by Delaara when she stuck her tongue down Jason's throat. Then she hugged Delaara, and all was forgiven.

*****

They waited and waited for the call to come in. Jason was kneeling and resting his elbows on the Helm console when they finally heard "Enterprise to Nimitz".

"Go ahead, Nick", said Rachael as he came on screen.

He was smiling. "Jason, you've struck gold. The word has gone out from the Orion Mercenaries' Guild to all their ships in Ferengi and Federation space, and they've pulled back!"

"FUCK YES!" Rash shouted, grabbing Rachael and kissing her passionately and deeply. Admiral Nelson's eyes widened considerably at that, but then he too started laughing along with Captain Picard. He turned with a grin and left the Enterprise's Bridge, presumably to get some more shuteye.

"How much did it cost us, sir?" Jason asked Captain Picard warily, rising from where he'd been kneeling in prayer.

"Less than it costs to build a Sovereign Class Battleship. You just won us the war, Jason!" Captain Picard said.

Jason collapsed onto the Helm chair. "Thank God, sir."

"Thank God and thank you, Commander. I'm proud of you, son," he said with a smile.

Jason grinned. "Thanks again, Jean-Luc. That means more than you know, coming from you."

"You earned it, Jason. Enterprise, out." He smiled again and nodded just before the screen cut out.

Delaara grabbed ahold of her husband as he passed out from exhaustion. She picked him up in her arms and carried him from the Bridge. As she got him back to their quarters, she laid him on the bed and gently undressed him. She was smiling, with tears streaming down her face. She then disrobed and laid down next to him, stroking his chest and gazing at his serene face. "This war is over, love. You ended it without another shot being fired."

*****

That was indeed the case. The Ferengi, without the aid of their Orion mercs, surrendered and capitulated without condition. They turned over all criminals associated with the infant genetic experimentation and smuggling to Federation authorities. There were quite a few of them in the Ferengi government, but that didn't save them in the end. They received a fair trial and were convicted on all counts. Their sentences were life without parole in a Federation penal colony for each infant experimented on or smuggled.

Jason slept for 2 full days, barely comprehending the fact that he had won the war nearly single-handed. Finally, he got up and went down to the Hangar deck after a quick sonic shower and trim of his beard. Delaara had taken over Wing Commander duties while he was out cold. She realized how emotionally and physically exhausted he'd been. He grabbed a bacon double cheeseburger from his office replicator and chowed it down in less than 2 minutes. Delaara got up from his desk and hugged him tight after he'd finished the burger.

"I'm sorry that I was out so long, sweetheart," he said, kissing her lovingly.

"It's ok, baby. Nothing I couldn't handle, you know," she replied with a wink.

"I know. That's why I wanted you as my XO. You have way more experience as a Wing Commander than I do," he grinned.

Rash came running into the office and gave Jason a huge hug. "Man, we're docked at DS9 now, and Captain Picard and Admiral Nelson are up in Rachael's Ready Room. Come on!"

"Ok, ok. I'm on my way. Let's go, honey," he said to Delaara.

They all went up to the Ready Room, and entered when Rachael said "Get your ass in here, Commander!"

As he entered, Jean-Luc stood up and shook his hand, as did Admiral Nicholas Nelson. He knew he looked like death warmed over, but he felt great.

"Commander, you have been given your choice of duty assignment for you and Delaara. Anywhere in Federation space." Rachael said by way of explanation.

"Anywhere you want, son. You name it." Admiral Nelson was smiling.

Jason glanced at Delaara, and she nodded with her glorious smile.

"Sir, we would like to be posted to Starfleet Academy as combat flight instructors for the Starfighter Pilot program, if possible," he said.

Slightly surprised, Admiral Nelson smiled. "That sounds like an excellent idea, Commander."

Delaara jumped into his arms, kissing him lovingly. "Now we can start a family, baby," she said with a grin.

"And now I can retire," said Rachael, grabbing Ryan's hand and squeezing it warmly as he leaned down and kissed her.

"In that case, sir, I have one more request." Jason said, grinning at Ryan.

"Anything, son," said Admiral Nelson.

"That Lieutenant Commander Ryan Rasher be assigned as a Combat Flight Instructor along with us, sir."

Rachael gasped, and Rash grinned. "Rachael, there's a house a few down from ours that's for sale if you want it", Jason said.

"It has a great view of the beach, too", said Delaara with a warm smile.

"Then we'll take it!" Ryan grinned.

"But first thing's first, Commander," said Captain Picard. "You, and every member of Striker Wing, are hereby ordered to Deep Space Nine and Quark's for celebratory partying and/or carousing for the remainder of the week. This war, unlike most others, was not won with firepower. It was won by a man who had everything to lose, but proposed a bold and insane plan to win."

"You can give all the credit to Delaara, sir. She was the one that gave me the idea. It just took a while to click in my mind." Jason shrugged.

"How so, son?" Admiral Nelson asked.

"She was the one who told me that Orions have no Honor, and are only motivated by money," Jason replied. "I don't remember exactly when it clicked, but it woke me up and I had to call you guys."

"You were running on pure adrenaline, baby. I had Doc Tavolk run a diagnostic on you at our quarters while you were unconscious. He said your endorphin levels were through the roof, which means you were running on pure adrenaline before that." Delaara had been worried after he continued to sleep through the next day and day after.

"Well, tell Doc that I'm good to go, now." He grinned. "Let's go party!"

*****

As they partied and had fun, Alex introduced Jenny to his dad and step-mom. They loved her and were glad he'd found someone special. Mariel and Gabrielle stayed with Roy, and transferred with him wherever he went for the rest of their careers. He was the only man who could keep them both happy. They ended up moving to Risa, where polygamy was legal, and all got married.

Ryan joined Jason and Delaara as a combat flight instructor at Starfleet Academy, and he and Rachael bought the house down the street from Jason and Delaara's home in Santa Barbara. Alex and Jenny came to visit, and were introduced to Big Lou and Kralla, who approved immensely of their relationship.

Stratal and Dom were married soon after the war ended, in a ceremony performed by Captain Elizabeth Shelby-Calhoun. Every surviving member of Skull Squadron, past and present, was in attendance that day.

However, their adventures were far from over.

------------------------------------------------

Between a Q and a Hard Place

The first day of Fighter Training was fun for Jason, Delaara, and Ryan. All the trainees knew who they were, and knew they were the Legends of the Romulan and Ferengi-Orion Wars. They were trained, but now they would REALLY be trained. The first day, they cut half the class, due to untrainability to Delaara's exacting specifications.

Jason was a harsh taskmaster, but Delaara was even worse, incorporating Romulan training standards. Those who survived the initial cut were pruned back even further over the 16 week program. Out of the 107 students when it started, they graduated 18 of them. Those pilots, however, were the best of the best of the new generation.

Their second class started with 149 students, and graduated 35 of them. Their methods were harsh, but those who graduated would become the future of the Starfleet Starfighter Command. All were the best of their respective flight classes before they even entered the Combat Flight Training. The attrition rate, while atrocious, was completely acceptable to Admiral Nelson, since he knew that if they didn't make the cut, they weren't good enough. Basically, if you could survive CFT under Delaara, Jason, and Ryan, you could take down an entire enemy squadron single-handed.

4 years passed, and Jason and Delaara finally decided that it was time. Rachael had just announced that she was pregnant with her and Ryan's first child, and Ryan was ecstatic. He'd been promoted to full Commander and was now the same rank as his best friends. When Lou had found out, he and Kralla came over to visit. After they left, Ryan and Rachael decided to make them their son's Godparents.

What happened next, however, was beyond anyone's ability to predict.

*****

"Cobalt, watch your vector," Delaara said.

"Don't worry, Demoness. I got it," Jason grinned at his wife. She'd started worrying about him lately, which was unlike her. The fact that they were trying to get pregnant might have something to do with it, though.

Their Sleipnirs shot through the crowded asteroid belt, and they were nearly to where Jason was leading them.

"And we're here, honey," he said with a grin that she could hear through the comm.

"My God, it's beautiful, baby!" Delaara exclaimed.

The USS Winston Churchill was sitting in the Utopia Planaetia Shipyards just on the far side of Asteroid Belt 1 in the Sol system. The Federation's newest Carrier was about to be christened, and Captain Rachael Thatcher, 4 months pregnant, was already onboard with Ryan. Captain Dominic 'Ape' O'Neill had invited them for the christening and maiden voyage, and Jason had asked him not to tell Delaara. It would be his anniversary gift to her. Dom had agreed with a laugh, and expressed how proud he was to be given command of his new ship. He had excelled at command duties, and had been just promoted to Captain and given command of the newest Starfighter Carrier, which had hangar space for 2 full Fighter Wings. A modified version of the Sovereign class, this new supercarrier would play a part in the next evolution of starfighter combat.

"This is Skull Flight to USS Churchill, requesting permission for 2 fighters to dock," Jason said over the comm.

"Roger that, Skull Leader. Proceed to port side flight hangar, and welcome aboard, sir." The voice at landing control said.

They slowly flew into the spacious flight hangar, which was much larger than the old hangars on the USS Nimitz.

As they landed and opened their canopies, Jason whistled appreciatively at the layout of the hangar.

They descended the boarding ladders and embraced on deck, as had been their custom since their first mission together, all those years ago.

"I love you, Delaara," said Jason.

"I love you too, Jason", Delaara replied, kissing him lovingly. "This is the best surprise! I hadn't heard about Dom getting his own command!"

"I thought it would make a nice surprise for you, sweetheart. Happy Anniversary," said Jason, grinning ear to ear.

"Oh baby! I thought you might have forgotten!" Her surprise was evident, yet she somehow knew he wouldn't forget.

"5 years, sweetheart. We've been married for 5 years now, and I love you more today than the day we were married," Jason said, kissing her lovingly and deeply.

"Mmmmm," she moaned into his kiss. Finally pulling back, she said "I think we should go find Dom, Rachael, and Ryan before we end up back in the cockpit." She winked and took his hand, leading him toward the turbolift.

The next rotation of Combat Flight Training would begin in 2 weeks, but they'd been invited by Dom to attend the christening and maiden voyage. Several pilots passed them on the deck as they walked towards the turbolift directly to the Bridge, and smiled in greeting.

They stepped into the turbolift and headed up to the Bridge and their friends.

When the turbolift door opened, they walked out to cheers from the Bridge crew and a smiling Dominic O'Neill. His wife, Stratal, came up out of her First Officer's chair and hugged them both.

"Congratulations, Commander," said Delaara to Stratal, who had been promoted and had earned the First Officer spot on the Churchill.

"Thanks, you guys!" She was grinning widely, her antennae moving with happiness. They weren't the first husband and wife to command a Starship together, but they were the most visible. Dom had adapted well to his cybernetic leg and eye.

Rachael and Ryan were smiling just as widely, and her baby bump was apparent. Ryan was going to make a great father. He'd matured a lot as a Flight Instructor, and he excelled at taking down rookie pilots a few notches when they'd underestimated him.

"Welcome aboard, you guys!" Dom was smiling at his friends and former commanding officers. "I hope you like it."

Delaara hugged him. "We love it, Ape! Which Squadrons have been assigned here?"

"Well, Striker Wing is here now, in fact. Skull, Scorpion, and Stiletto. Marie is still Captain of the Nimitz since Rachael retired, and they have a new Wing aboard. The other Wing is called Dragon Wing, and they're mostly made up of yours and Delaara's trainees." Dom grinned at that.

Jason and Delaara chuckled. Jason said "I hope we don't run into any of them. They probably want to kill us!"

Dom roared out a laugh. "Actually, they are thanking you every day for drilling starfighter combat into their heads on an hourly basis for 16 weeks."

Jason nodded. "I don't want them dying out here without taking as many of the enemy with them as possible."

"They might get the chance sooner than you think. We've heard rumors that the Borg are planning another invasion. If it's true, the Churchill and Nimitz will be the frontline carriers." Dom had sobered at the thought.

"Then we'd be needed too, guys," said Ryan with a worried look on his face.

"We've beaten the Borg before, and we'll beat them again," said Delaara. "They invaded Romulan space, but were defeated by the Praetorian Guard."

"Well, let's all worry about that later," said Jason with a smile. "Today, we launch the greatest ship Starfleet has ever seen. The new home of Striker Wing and Skull Squadron!"

"The shuttle is ready to launch the bottle, babe," said Commander Stratal to her husband.

"Very well, then. Shuttle Magellan, launch the christening." Dom was grinning like a school boy again.

The bottle flew end over end at the bow of the ship, an exterior camera fixed on it as it hit the bow of the Churchill, shattering.

"What a waste of a good bottle," mourned Rash with a tear in his eye.

Everyone chuckled at Rash, the most functional alcoholic who ever lived.

"Shuttle is back aboard, Dom. We're ready for shakedown," said Stratal with a wide grin.

"Very well. Helm, take us out at one quarter Impulse." Dom was a natural in the Captain's Chair.

"One quarter Impulse, aye sir." The Helmsman responded professionally.

Dom leaned over to Rachael and whispered "After shakedown, things are going to get a lot less formal around here."

Rachael smiled warmly at that, since she'd never liked harsh regulations when it came to personal lives onboard ship.

As they cleared the shipyard, Dom said "Helm, bring us to course 220, mark 011 and engage at warp 5."

"Aye sir," said the Helmsman with a grin. He programmed the course and speed, then hit the key to engage. The ship jumped forward with a gentle hum from the engines as the USS Churchill entered warp.

"Purrs like a kitten, Dom," said Jason as he clapped his old buddy on the shoulder.

"Got that right, Jason," the Captain said in reply. He glanced back at Ryan and Rachael, and noticed a look of longing on her face as she stared at the viewscreen.

Ryan had noticed it too, and held her close from behind. He knew she missed the Captain's Chair, but she'd chosen civilian life with him over Starfleet. He still wondered why, but knew that she loved him and wanted a family with him. Even at the expense of her career.

He leaned forward and whispered. "You miss it, don't you?"

"I do, but I wouldn't trade our life for anything, love," she whispered back and turned her face to kiss him.

Ryan kissed her tenderly, and she knew that he would support any decision she made.

Jason and Delaara saw their exchange and smiled. This was the most romantic thing they'd done together on their anniversary. Taking a cruise around the solar system on their old friend's new ship.

They came out of warp near Pluto, and set a return course to Starbase 1 in high Earth orbit.

"Eng- What the hell?" Dom said as the ship was rocked suddenly by some unseen force. "Shields up! All hands to battlestations, Stratal said into the PA as the ship was once again rocked back and forth.

"Sensors are clear, sir," said Lieutenant T'sana, the young Vulcan science officer.

"Thank you, Lieutenant," said Dom. "Then what the hell just hit us?"

In answer to his question, a brilliant flash of light on the Bridge hailed the arrival of a middle aged man with short curly black hair, blue eyes, and wearing a Starfleet Captain's uniform.

Jason hit himself in the forehead with his hand. Jean-Luc had told him enough stories concerning this entity that he knew exactly who they were dealing with.

"Ah hell. Freakin' Q," said Jason under his breath.

"Language, young man!" Q admonished him. He then smiled and bowed. "Ladies and Gentlemen of the Federation Starship USS Winston Churchill, thanks to the introduction from young Jason here, you all know who I am."

Dom stood up. "Yes we do. What do you want with us?"

"Ah, my dear Captain. It's not you that I want. It's the Captain standing behind you", he looked at Rachael.

"Not gonna happen, buddy," said Rash, stepping in front of her. He drew his phaser pistol and shot Q dead center mass.

Q looked down at the smoking hole in his uniform. "Now I'll have to get this dry cleaned." Then he looked up and snapped his fingers, melting Ryan's gun to the point where he dropped it on the deck.

"You're not taking my wife, asshole!" Rash shouted and bullrushed Q, only to be frozen in mid stride.

"Your wife? Well, isn't this a turn of events." He smirked at the frozen pilot.

Jason pulled his pistol and fired, hitting Q in the temple. The phaser blast actually staggered the godlike being.

"Now now, Jason. That wasn't very nice." Q shook one finger at him before snapping his fingers, which turned the phaser into a rose.

Jason looked at it, shrugged, and handed it to Delaara with a wry smile.

"Ah, and this must be your lovely wife, Commander Delaara, formerly of the Romulan Imperial Fleet, and Commanding Officer of Gladius Wing." Q knew everything about them, which didn't surprise Jason or Delaara in the least.

Rachael said "What the bloody hell do you want me for, Q?"

He looked at her with a smile and was taken aback by her withering glare. "Just a friendly chat, my dear Captain," Q said with a bow.

"I'll go willingly if you release Ryan and take him with us," she said stoically.

"It doesn't matter if you come willingly or not, but since you were gracious enough to offer, then by all means," he waved his hand, releasing Rash, who fell to the deck, breathing hard. Rachael was at his side in an instant.

IronDragon
IronDragon
1,613 Followers
1...456789