Love Goes Old School

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
komrad1156
komrad1156
3,789 Followers

Ryleigh's anger turned to sadness and then to empathy. "Oh, my goodness. I had no idea. I am so sorry. Not just for your loss but because I assumed...."

"It's okay. I'm impressed that you noticed and that it matters to you. Far too many people today don't take marriage seriously and maybe I'm some kind of anachronism, but I think marriage vows are sacred. Not in any spiritual sense but from a moral sense."

"Wow. I...I couldn't agree more," she said. She was taking in his face and she really had missed it before. He was a very attractive man. She couldn't be sure but he had to be somewhere between 35 and 45. The way he was dressed made him look older than he was, but he had beautiful eyes, a great smile, thick black...matted...hair, and that gorgeous dimple. None of that fit with his manner of dress. And the way he spoke. This guy was no bum. He might well be an eccentric professor in one of the liberal arts. That was a distinct possibility.

"I mentioned you were my inspiration but didn't explain myself. I've had a very tough time since my wife died and I've taken a lot of time off work. I go in whenever I can get up the gumption—how do you like that word?" he joked. "The gumption to go in. Just the brief interaction I had with you...your kindness and your smile...gave me the motivation to go in and spend a few days taking care of a number of things. It turned out to be very beneficial to everyone I work with and I just wanted to thank you. Was the sweater the right size?" he asked as he sipped his coffee.

"It was perfect," she told him. "And...well, when I said your poem was romantic...I mean, before I got all self-righteous about you being married...I really meant that. I've read it a hundred times since and the flowers were also amazing." She wasn't able to meet his gaze as she spoke so she looked at his coffee cup when she spoke. "I'm sorry, but I don't even know your name except for Grayson. Is that your first name or your last?"

He smiled and said, "It's my first name. I'm the only Grayson my age I know of but the name seems to making a real comeback the last few years."

"It is very popular and I really like the name, by the way," she said as she finally looked at him again.

"Well, thank you, Ryleigh. I uh, I wanted to tell you that after that brief respite, I've really been struggling again...with work and what not. I have to admit that seeing you again has really lifted my spirits. I think I may even go home and shave and go in to work."

"Thank you...I think," she said with a smile. "I know it's none of my business, but I'm dying to know what kind of job allows you to um...what? Come and go? Is that a fair to put it?"

Grayson laughed and said, "That's very fair, Ryleigh. I really am a very fortunate man where work is concerned and I probably take way too much advantage of the flexibility I have, but there are times when money is the last thing on earth I care about." He looked away this time and she thought she saw a tear well up in his eye when he looked back at her and said, "I'd give everything I have to bring her back."

Ryleigh was unable to speak. She felt choked with emotion and she wanted to somehow take away his pain but knew there was nothing she could be do with the possible exception of listening.

"I'm sorry," he said. "That was very selfish of me. You have your own life and your own problems to deal with and I just laid mine on you. Please forgive me, Ryleigh."

"It's okay. Really. I can't imagine how hard this has been for you and how helpless you must feel." She debated about sharing it but said, "I lost my father and I miss him every single day. I can't imagine losing the love of my life. I'm really so very sorry, Grayson."

"Well, thank you. If you don't mind, I'd like to change the subject."

"Of course," she said. Her mood lightened and her smile returned when she saw him smiling.

"I was wondering. Is it possible...would you mind...I mean, would you possibly be interested in...I don't know...maybe doing something together sometime?" Before she could reply he added, "Maybe just come here and have coffee or whatever? I'm sorry, I haven't asked anyone out in over ten years—not that I'm asking you out, per se—and now you probably think I'm some kind of a fool." She smiled but he kept right on going. "And as they say, there's no fool like an old fool, right?"

Ryleigh covered her mouth as she laughed. "You're not that old, Grayson." She sat there and looked at him and he could sense she was staring.

"I'm 42, Ryleigh. So yes, I really am that old. Wow. Saying that out loud sounds pretty bad. It's funny. I still see myself as being 25 and sometimes it's hard to believe I'm over 40." He looked at her, smiled and said, "Well, now that you know my age, I feel a little silly having asked you. I know that's more than enough to scare anyone your age away. It's just that you're so easy to talk to and your kindness really did move me."

Ryleigh couldn't believe he hadn't said anything about her looks. She wasn't sure whether to be flattered or offended. "I just turned 19 and that's probably young enough to scare you away," she said with genuine sincerity.

"We don't have to call it a date, you know. It's just that I really have enjoyed talking to you and I can't remember the last time that happened with anyone. I'd be happy to just sit and talk. I mean, if you don't mind talking to someone your father's age." His smile immediately faded. "Geez, Ryleigh. I'm so, so sorry. Now I'm the one who doesn't know what to say. I didn't mean it like that. You lost your father and then I say something like that. Please forgive me."

"You're very sweet," she told him. "I've never been out with an older man before although I did just recently date a junior."

Both of them smiled and he laughed politely at her comment. "Well, if you did go out with me, you could add senior to your list. Senior citizen," he said emphasizing the citizen half of the term.

She laughed. "And you're funny. Anyone who can make me laugh is someone I'm willing to risk going out with," she announced.

"I see. I'm...a risk." He feigned a scowl and said, "Well, at my age, I suppose that could be considered a compliment."

Ryleigh laughed and said, "You understand that makes no sense, right?"

Grayson exhaled and said, "Yeah. It was pretty lame. It's just that I don't often talk to women and when I do they're never as interesting...or as pretty...as you."

Ryleigh smiled when he finally got around to saying something about her looks. "And I hope you know that was really lame." She tilted her head as though she were the older one correcting him for his faux pax. "Sweet but lame. Very lame."

"I can see I have a lot to learn. Well, if you can be patient with me, I really am a fast learner," he told her.

"Time isn't exactly on your side, Grayson," she quipped with a big smile, "but I am a very patient person."

"So is all that a 'yes' or do I need more remedial training?"

"It's a yes," she assured him.

"Wow. I have a...I have a... What exactly is it I have?" he asked her.

"Let's call it an agreement. An agreement to spend some time together. For now at least," she offered.

"Okay, that works me me. An agreement to spend time it is." He paused then tilted his head as though he didn't quite understand something. "Um...that's a lot of words. Could we just call it an 'agreement' to keep it simple?"

Ryleigh listened overly intently then said, "Sure. I don't want you to get confused and well, people you age have this um...tendency."

"Yeah, good point," he replied. "So, Ryleigh? Do you intend to remind me about my advanced years this often all the time or is this just how you show a guy my age you care?" he asked with feigned extreme curiosity.

"What makes you think I care?" she asked with an equal amount of 'deep concern.'

"Good point—again. You're pretty sharp for um, well, you know...."

"Someone my age?" she said with raised eyebrows and a slight tilt of her head.

"Can't get anything past you, can I?" he said continuing the banter. "So...on this...agreement. Or would that be during this agreement?" He weighed the relative merits of each word as he held up his hands pretending to actually weight them before saying, "Okay, so when we hang out together, would you do me a big favor?"

"Isn't it kind of early in our agreement-relationship to be asking for favors?" she said with mock seriousness.

"Wow, another good point. Okay, rather than ask, maybe I'll offer an observation. I think you would look great in the sweater I bought you and I would love to see you in it." He raised his eyebrows as though his observation might bring a negative reaction about being controlling or what have you.

Instead, she surprised him by saying, "I'd love to. It's very pretty, by the way, and thank you again for it. I don't think that's an unusual observation—at all. I believe two people who like one another—or in our case—who've agreed to spend some time together—should willingly do things for the other so sure, I'd be happy to wear it for you."

"Does that mean you like me?" Again, before she could answer he said, "Never mind. Pretend I didn't just say that, okay?" He was happy to see she smiled at him again. "As to your belief, I couldn't agree more. Doing some small thing for the other person is worth more than some expensive gift they don't really need. At least in my humble opinion."

"That's amazing. That's exactly how I feel!," she told him. "I'd much rather have a note with something personal written on it than something that cost a lot of money."

"So don't buy you a new car?" he said smiling.

"Well, I don't even have a car so if you happen to have an old clunker just laying around you don't need...." She wouldn't take a gift like that, but she was willing to joke about it. It wasn't that she didn't like nice things. It was just that they weren't a priority to her.

He was staring at her for several seconds when she said, "Is everything okay?"

"Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to stare. It's just that you're such a remarkable young woman. I'm not sure I've ever met anyone quite like you before."

"So...may I assume that's also a compliment?" she asked referring to his 'at my age' comment moments before.

"Most definitely. It is indeed a compliment, Miss Ryleigh...."

"Porter," she said supplying her last name. "And you're Grayson...."

"Ryleigh Porter, I'm Grayson Tyler," he told her. "And it's been a true pleasure meeting you."

She gave him her phone number and he promised to call her. "I'd like that," she said. "Most people just text each other nowadays and that seems so impersonal." She decided to take another small risk and said, "Especially for a hopeless romantic, right?"

"You remembered," he said. "I'm flattered."

"I'm a bit of a hopeless romantic myself," she confessed.

She could see he wanted to stay but instead said, "I guess I should go," he said. "I've kept you long enough."

"I had a nice time, Grayson. And I look forward to hearing from you. If you don't forget to call, that is."

"I never forget anything, Angela," he said without smiling.

Ryleigh couldn't help herself and she laughed loudly. "Okay, now that was funny—I don't care who you are!" imitating Larry the Cable Guy.

The next day, Ryleigh left her room and heard her phone buzz indicating she'd received a text. She didn't recognize the number and she assumed Grayson would call rather than text. She checked her text messages and saw she indeed had one. It was a link she thought twice about before opening but went ahead and clicked on it.

It took her to a page with images of sticky notes with one pointing to the next. The first said, "I had a really great time." The arrow pointed left so she looked left. The next one read, "I'm looking forward to seeing you again." The arrow pointed down so she looked down. This one said, "Meet me at Scotty's Friday at 8pm." The last one said, "Click here to accept." Along side it was one that said, "Click here to reject and break my heart." At the bottom of the page was a big heart and the name Grayson.

Ryleigh's heart was beating faster again when she realized how creative and romantic this was. Without a second thought she selected "Accept" and clicked on it. When she did, the address popped up and she had two more options. The first was "Click here to meet me there" and the other said "Click here to have me pick you up at 7:45pm."

She was smiling and so lost in what she was reading she nearly ran into several people. She clicked to be picked up then stood there and did a kind of happy dance. No sooner had her feet stopped moving when she told herself this wasn't even a date and that Grayson, whoever he was, was far too old to be more than a friend. But the romantic in her was swooning. In fact, she found it nearly impossible to concentrate during her next class and she was grateful it wasn't in a core science subject. When class let out, she squealed out loud when she was sure she was by herself.

She checked on her laptop and saw that Scotty's was a karaoke bar which had a place where those under 21 could sing and have a soda. This was the first time Kyleigh could remember feeling silly about being under 21. She wasn't much of a singer either, but she could hold her own. Regardless, she wasn't going to let any of that stop her from having a good time.

She was standing outside at 7:45 when an old white van pulled up and stopped next to her. She peeked inside and saw Grayson behind the wheel. She went to open the passenger door and he held up a hand. "Uh-uh! Don't you dare!"

He jumped and came around to her side and said, "It may be corny, but I never let a woman open a door." She tried not to laugh when he pulled on it and it stuck. He gave it a real yank it popped open with a loud creak.

"Thank you!" she told him as he worked on getting the door to close once she was inside.

"Sorry about the door. I borrowed the van from a friend. I hope it's okay," he said a bit nervously. The seats were worse than the door but Kyleigh didn't care or really even notice. She wasn't going out with his car.

"It's fine, really. I meant it when I said things don't impress me." She looked over at him and said, "Wow! You clean up right nice there, mister." She was amazed at how different he looked. He'd shaved, combed his hair and was wearing a nice pair of Dockers and dressy shirt with a decent-looking leather jacket.

"You, too. Um...not that you needed to clean up. What I meant was...I mean, I was going to tell you how nice you look the door kind of took over as a priority. I did notice the sweater, by the way. It's very pretty." He put the van in gear and said, "So are you, Ryleigh."

When they went inside the club, the greeter said, "Mr. Tyler! It's been a while. It's really good to see you again."

"Thanks, Terry," he told he guy who seemed to about Ryleigh's age.

"Your old spot is available if you want it," he said smiling broadly.

"Sure. That'd be perfect."

As they followed him to a corner table, Ryleigh said, "Usual spot? Is this where you take all of your girls?"

He helped her remove her coat then pulled her chair back to help her get seated then said, "Well, let's see. My wife and I used to come here occasionally and you're here so...yes, I believe I do bring all of my girls here."

Ryleigh laughed as the young man asked what Grayson would like to drink. He looked at Ryleigh and said, "I'm in the mood for champagne. You?"

She looked at Grayson then at the young man and said, "Um, that might be a problem."

Just then a man quite a bit older than Grayson walked up and said, "Grayson! I thought that was you." He stuck out his hand and shook and said, "I can't tell you how good it is to see you back out here!" He looked at Ryleigh and said, "And you have company! Listen, drinks are on the house. Whatever you want is on me tonight."

The young man nervously told the older man, "Sir, I don't think she's 21." He was obviously very uncomfortable as he didn't look him the eye.

He looked at Ryleigh and said, "Would you care for a drink?"

"Yes, but...."

"Great! Bring them whatever they'd like. And Grayson, it really is good to see you getting out again. We've missed you."

Moments later, there was a bottle of champagne and two glasses in front of them. The young man filled them half full, bowed slightly and left. Grayson lifted his glass and said, "To true romance?"

"I'll drink to that," Ryleigh said as the touched glasses and took a sip.

"I have something for you, by the way," he said. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a flat object that was wrapped in pretty paper with a blue ribbon on it. "I thought you might like this," he said as he handed it to her.

"Grayson? This isn't necessary," she said as she began unwrapping it.

"No, but it seemed...appropriate," he told her.

It was a book of romantic poems by various authors. Ryleigh flipped through the pages, stopped to read a short poem, then looked up at Grayson. "This was the most...romantic...gift...I've ever received and this isn't even a date," she told him. She blinked back a tear and said, "I think I have some mascara in my eye." He knew otherwise but didn't say anything as she slipped the small book into her purse.

"So do you like to sing?" he asked.

"I love to sing," she told him. "I'm just not sure anyone else loves hearing me."

Ryleigh grew up listening to all genres of music. Her mom and dad used to listen to everything from Sinatra to Hank Williams, Sr., to Elvis to The Beatles to the Eagles and everything in between. She loved her own generation's music the most, but she knew and enjoyed hundreds of the kinds of old songs sung in karaoke bars.

"You game to give it a whirl?" he asked.

"Oh, no. No way. I'm not that good. I think I'll just sit and listen for a while if that's okay."

"That's fine with me. But I plan on doing some singing!"

He stepped up to the empty mic and several people called out, "Grayson! Hey, man, where you been? Good to see you! Let's hear you belt one out!"

He smiled and waited for the melody to start and the words to come up. The next song was called Reflections of my Life by the Marmalades. As the music started Grayson said, "Those of you who know me know I've gone through a pretty rough patch the couple of years. This song is perfect because it captures some of how I've felt. I recently met someone who's been a true inspiration for me and this song fits that, too, because I finally feel like changin', rearangin' my life."

Right on cue he began singing, "The changing of sunlight to moonlight, Reflections of my life, oh how they fill my eyes, The greetings of people in trouble, Reflections of my life, oh how they fill my mind, All my sorrow, sad tomorrow, Take me back to my old home, All my cryin', feel I'm dyin', dyin',Take me back, to my old home, I'm changin', arrangin', I'm changin', I'm changin' everything, ah everything around me, The world is a bad place, a bad place, A terrible place to live, oh but I don't wanna die."

Ryleigh was stunned by his beautiful baritone voice which was perfectly on key. She didn't remember the song until he started singing it then she remembered her mom playing it over and over after her dad passed away. Grayson was looking right at her as he sang, "I'm changin, I'm changin' everything around me" and Ryleigh felt a lump in her throat, a tightness in her chest, and a warmth spreading in a familiar place. He was actually a very good-looking man. His thick, black hair framed his face which contained those eyes that were boring holes into her, a straight nose, two full lips, a great smile, and that damn dimple.

As he poured his heart into the song, he stepped down off the stage and extended his hand. Ryleigh looked around and saw people clapping and cheering and many were waving at her to go up on stage with him. She gave him her hand and he stood her next to him. He then turned and continued singing by slightly changing the words, "The world seemed a bad place, a bad place, a terrible place to live, but I met you, and I don't want to die."

komrad1156
komrad1156
3,789 Followers