All Comments on 'Love in the Age of Chemicals Ch. 01'

by nageren

Sort by:
  • 22 Comments
Prolonged_Debut10Prolonged_Debut10about 8 years ago
Dumb as a Fence Post

At least now I know where that quote comes from. This was quite an intriguing story, and I will be looking forward to the next chapter with great anticipation. While I was in college and graduate school, I had some professors that had the same 'LOOK' as Deacon, but I'm not sure if they were as 'Stone-Headed' as he appears to be.The level of your writing, and its style are superb. Please keep it up because it is an absolute joy to have someone write the English language as it is supposed to be written, and make it readable at the same time. Congratulations, Bob

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago

I really enjoyed this. An unlikely but not impossible situation around which the author has created REAL people. A pleasure to read.

SilencedsnowSilencedsnowabout 8 years ago
The long wait comes to an end

I had been ho,ding my breath till your next sorry and this does not disappoint.

tennesseeredtennesseeredabout 8 years ago
Off to a great start!

Master storyteller at work here, and the sex between nerd and patient seductress is quite convincing. I'm willing to dive in because the author assures us that we, his readers, are in good hands. The language doesn't cause us pain and we can stay in the zone. It is a little hard to believe this Ph.D. academic is so naive as to think his sham marriage won't come with complications, some potentially career ending. They are, after all, defrauding the university and committing theft. For an intelligent rational materialist he doesn't think things through too well. OTOH, one of the story tags is "Asperger's - male" and he seems to qualify. This story is similar to "A Strange Arrangement" in that it explores the question of arranged marriages: can love develop out of commitment, or does love have to come before commitment? Looking forward to reading more. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Sexy and...

Sexy and interesting. A good portrayal of someone with Aspergers.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
A fine welcome back to the Ginaverse

Love your characters, love your style. Love the attention to detail. I do remember a University in the verse, so I wait, wonderfully wait for more.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
" Brain Capacity"

Very often, a PHD leaves little room in the brain for common sense. It's hard to believe that a person would be so driven that they would risk their career by agreeing to a fraudulent scheme just to gain an assistant. But, who knows. I have heard of worst. Written with great skill.

maddictmaddictabout 8 years ago
Sorry everyone, I have to say it.

COITUS ! Sheldon/Dr. Cooper, Aauugh.

Ch-2

GaiusPetroniusGaiusPetroniusabout 8 years ago
@ maddict

??? Is there a decoder ring?

nagerennagerenabout 8 years agoAuthor
@GaiusPetronius @Maddict

"Coitus" - Ahh, yes. I really wanted to find a suitable spot to include that, but it never seemed to fit, not even tongue-in-cheek.

Gaius, it is a reference to the popular show Big Bang Theory, which includes a scientist character, Sheldon Cooper, who may (definitely? I'm not too familiar) have Aspergers. He often uses the word "Coitus" in reference to sex.

rightbankrightbankabout 8 years ago
socially inept does not even come close

he isn't even capable of understanding that he doesn't understand. if emotions are only a physical response to chemical stimulations why/how does he exhibit fear or anxiety?

meanwhile the calendar does not line up. marriage? faculty reception? anniversary? semester?

HectorBidonHectorBidonabout 8 years ago
"Almost all of them new"

What a wonderful story! Your two characters are very endearing.

Miranda, earnest, optimistic, running away down the hallway first in embarrassment, then in hope, steadfast, pragmatic, turning her cluttered storage space into a homey bedroom and her sow's ear of a husband into a coequal lover.

Deacon, the flawed, measured, scientist---dimly aware of his shortcomings, longing for the surety of his laboratory, yet not completely immune to the new feelings that blossom beneath his chemical synapses. I really love the way you've told the story, and made it ring true, in his flawed voice.

As another Miranda once exclaimed, "How beauteous mankind is."

TeaganOSTeaganOSabout 8 years ago
Among the all-time favorites

I've read this entire series twice now and loved it so much I actually had to create a username just so I could favorite it to find again in the future. It's a very inspiring and touching story throughout all the chapters and I look forward to reading it again.

PapaMikePapaMikeabout 6 years ago
In the history

of clueless guys this one takes the cake!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago

I have difficulty finding the main character plausible.

I can buy someone that unable to grasp the basics of social interaction or someone unable to grasp the logical consequences of marrying someone (and all the various legal/financial/social/housing complications associated with that), but I can't buy someone that stupid on all levels and that easily convinced to go along with such a half-assed and ill-thought-out plan who's simultaneously able to function in the real world.

I mean, the pairing of the logical nerd and the whimsical manic pixie dreamgirl is a fine cliche, but on same level, you need the nerd to want to buy what the girl is selling, and she basically showed up offering nothing and giving him no reason whatsoever to buy into her scheme, other than that if he turned her down, we wouldn't have a story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Anonymous 4/13/18

My guess is you don't have a lot of experience with a high functioning autistic person or someone with Asperger's. The description of Deacon's behavior and thoughts leads me to believe that he is on the spectrum. Having much experience with ASD, I can say that Deacon is an entirely plausible character.

Of course ASD covers quite a bit and not everyone displays the same traits, but Deacon is totally representative of such a person. Yes they can be oblivious to situations that they have not personally experienced. Sarcasm and reading between the lines can be exceptionally difficult. As are social interactions.

Overall I really enjoy the story so far.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
The protagonist reminds me of me.

So far I have read chapter one. Sweet. I love the matchup.

Deacon is so much like I was in my twenties. I was equally socially inept, but much more socially conscious.

Reminds me of my my first marriage, I was a virgin too.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago

ASD folks need love, too - excellent!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Oh Oh

This is well written, too well!

It was painful. The feeling, of wanting to jump in the story and slap some sense into Deke was almost overwhelming.

Poor soul, and all the real world people who suffer from being on the spectrum my heart goes out to you, not that you want it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Interesting characters with potential for more.

Creative, nicely paced. a new perspective that I enjoyed. thanks

G5902G5902about 3 years ago

This is such a fun story!!! I look forward to the next chapters!

James_DuncanJames_Duncanover 2 years ago

It's nice to see someone actually get an Aspie mindset, my only observation would be that we tend to know a lot of the "facts" about love and sex, it's the difficulty in connecting with people we suffer with.

I would also observe that whilst many seem to think we aren't emotional, we are, I would even say we are very emotional, it's just it tends to be on a very tight leash and it doesn't tend to always align with other people's emotional states.

But trust me, we get love, we just having difficulty in understanding how to express and accept ourselves.

I was about 35 before I really understood myself in that respect and ironically for me it was the combination of Aspie plus dominance that was causing me problems, once I got that sorted out, things fell into place.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usernageren@nageren
I try to write realistically- describing believable people in plausible situations. None of the characters is "me," but many of them represent aspects of my personality and history. My hope is that, as you get to know my characters, you will find yourself thinking-...