Love Never Dies Pt. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JWren
JWren
151 Followers

I removed the lid and a layer of cotton wool. Yes, a CD! And Gaynor's smiling face beamed out from the cover of the case.The photograph had been taken in an old-fashioned photo-booth many, many years ago. I knew that because my grinning face was cheek to cheek with my frizzy-haired lover. I opened the case but there was no indication of what was on the disc. I booted up my computer and prepared to play the disc.

But there was a folded piece of paper in the box and I took it out and unfurled it. There, handwritten by Gaynor, I read:

My darling Richard,

By now I have gone and I am writing this for two reasons.

1 - Please do not mourn me. Be happy with what we had, what we shared, the minutes, hours, days, weeks, months and years we spent together. Despite what you may think, I have no regrets other than those precious moments didn't last long enough. But we had what many millions hunger for: the love of a soul mate. For that, I'm eternally grateful.

2 - My possessions and little bit of wealth, I have left to Charlie. All except for what is now in your hands. These may seem little things but they are my life's treasures and I want you to have them. You're the only one worthy of them. As you might expect, I have packed these items so that the most 'valuable' is last. Take them and keep them with all my love for ever.

She had signed the note, Gaynor, and drawn a succulent pair of red lips and three kisses alongside.

I removed the next layer of cotton wool and took out a black-and-white photograph of Gaynor in a nurses uniform. She sat at a desk, hands clasped together, and smiling just enough to reveal a glimpse of her brilliant white teeth. It was a smaller version of the picture that had been displayed on the top of her coffin.

Another layer of cotton wool awaited. I plucked it out and gasped at what remained in the bottom of the box. The most valuable item, as she said. I gaped, my hand trembled, my pulse rate accelerated and I blinked, trying to fight off the onset of tears. But it was futile and, for the first time that day, I let tears flow down my face. Through the watery haze, I tried to remain focused on the pair of gold hoops.

±±±±±±±±

EPILOGUE

It's now more than two years since Gaynor died. But hardly a day passes when I don't think of her. How long that will last I have no idea. Maybe the fact that I have Nurse Reid's photograph in a frame sitting on my desk makes sure I never forget!

Also, I have not yet been able to erase any of the messages in my GR folder. I dip into them frequently and can "hear" her voice talking to me.

And then, of course, there is the CD with its two recordings: You're the best thing that happened to me and For You. I don't play them too often, no more than once a week!

I have two grandchildren, a girl (the eldest) and a boy who is barely three months old.

And, of course, I have Veronica. She has been the rock in my life, the steadying hand on the tiller, the homemaker. I don't dwell on our sex life or that strange period when Helen confusingly crept into Veronica's life. For me, Veronica is not only my wife but a true friend who I cherish deeply and I will do so to my last breath. She is a very kind and genuine lady.

Finally, and it hardly needs recording, I will also forever be in love with Gaynor. She was an extraordinary, vibrant person and I miss her more than any of all these words can say.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If anyone should ever write my life story

For whatever reason there might be

Ooh, you'll be there between each line of pain and glory

- You're The Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me

It takes only a minute to get a crush on someone, an hour to like someone, and a day to love someone. But it takes a lifetime to forget someone.

In memory of Beverley, RIP Daisy.

I believe that the people you care about most in life are taken from you too soon ~ Anon

My sincere thanks to Carole Covington. From the initial inspiration and all the subsequent encouragement, your help was truly special.

JWren
JWren
151 Followers