All Comments on 'Love or Lust Ch. 01'

by SciFurz

Sort by:
  • 6 Comments
sheanna23sheanna23about 8 years ago
nice

You might want to let your readers know where things fall in a timeline. Like the very beginning was present and the rest was how we got there. Otherwise it was nice.

SciFurzSciFurzabout 8 years agoAuthor
@ sheanna23

Thanks for your comment, it is indeed less clear where the first paragraph sits in the timeline. I think it would be more clear with the full story present, one chapter is rather short to see it in perspective, but I don't know yet how to create a black scene change -like in a movie- in writing. Just putting prologue or epilogue just doesn't feel right to me.

So far I've been using a single * for short breaks, ** for a break during the same day, *** for a break until the next day, and **** for a much longer break. There's unfortunately no equivalent standard that works as well as visual cues in writing.

And I dislike using "the next day/morning" or "when she/he woke up" so often because of repetition.

cittrancittranabout 8 years ago
Oh, is the formatting all that's giving you trouble?

That's an easy fix. ^_^

ASCII-art. I guarantee there are specific sets of characters which you could find using a web-search, copy-paste, and use for your own stories, and nobody would bat an eye.

It doesn't need to be elaborate, either -- some authors just use a bunch of "=======" across the width of the page for 2 full lines, and leave an extra blank line just-above and just-below the scene-break.

SciFurzSciFurzabout 8 years agoAuthor
@ cittran

I've seen various creative ways denoting scene changes, and I've always prefered ASCII emoticons above the graphic smilies every program is filled with nowadays. :-/

.

The main problem is denoting how much time has passed without having to describe it explicitly every time (was that a pun?).

With a visual medium it's much easier to pick that up for the viewers.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Slow moving

The dialogue is boring and slow moving. See Evil Alpaca's or Colleen Thomas's stories for how to do good dialogue

SciFurzSciFurzover 7 years agoAuthor
@ fast anonymous :-)

Slow moving is actually intentional in a way, but I'll have a look at your suggestions and see what I can pick up from them. Thanks. :-)

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userSciFurz@SciFurz
Check the changelog for announcements on published e-books and chapter releases, drawings, and other writing and art: https://scifurz.wordpress.com (also if you want to support me) and there's https://mastodon.art/@scifurz as well for daily micro fiction. Enjoy your reading...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES